• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Puri priests manhandle Italian Odissi dancer Ileana Citaristi on Lord Jagannath's cha

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

Noted Italy-born Odissi dancer and Padmashree award winner Ileana Citaristi on Sunday alleged that she was manhandled by two priests of Jagannath temple on the chariot of Lord Jagannath at Puri when she refused to pay them money.

In separate complaints, addressed to Puri SP and temple chief administrator, she said the priests roughed her up when she turned down their demand of Rs 1,000 dakshina. "Two priests wanted to fleece me and demanded Rs 1,000 as dakshina. When I opposed, they nudged me, slapped me and banged my head," Citaristi told TOI.

"When the priests failed to extort money from me, they shouted at me saying I was a foreigner (non-Hindu) and that I cannot climb the chariot. But nobody questioned my religion when I was climbing the chariot. We know that non-Hindus are not allowed in Jagannath temple. But there is no such official restriction on the presence of non-Hindus on chariots outside the temple during Rath Yatra," said Citaristi, who has been staying in Odisha since 1979.

Puri priests manhandle Italian Odissi dancer Ileana Citaristi on Lord Jagannath's chariot - The Times of India

Should I guess the opinions of the members of this site?

The ladies should remain in home crowd's opinion:
The true born Hindu crowd's opinion:
The liberated people's opinion:

good guessing prasad :)

trying to figure out where i belong? what about the agnostics? NRI? :)

Noted Italy-born Odissi dancer and Padmashree award winner Ileana Citaristi on Sunday alleged that she was manhandled by two priests of Jagannath temple on the chariot of Lord Jagannath at Puri when she refused to pay them money.

In separate complaints, addressed to Puri SP and temple chief administrator, she said the priests roughed her up when she turned down their demand of Rs 1,000 dakshina. "Two priests wanted to fleece me and demanded Rs 1,000 as dakshina. When I opposed, they nudged me, slapped me and banged my head," Citaristi told TOI.

"When the priests failed to extort money from me, they shouted at me saying I was a foreigner (non-Hindu) and that I cannot climb the chariot. But nobody questioned my religion when I was climbing the chariot. We know that non-Hindus are not allowed in Jagannath temple. But there is no such official restriction on the presence of non-Hindus on chariots outside the temple during Rath Yatra," said Citaristi, who has been staying in Odisha since 1979.

Puri priests manhandle Italian Odissi dancer Ileana Citaristi on Lord Jagannath's chariot - The Times of India

I don't get it???

Why double standards for 2 Italians?

Sonia Gandhi is God but this dancer is treated like a Dog!

I don't get it???

Doctor,

I have my doubt about the news item, it is not so simple as it looks. If this foreign Odissi dancer is living in Odissa since 1979, she must have visited the Temple many times before and she must have been well aware of the ritual restrictions (if any) in climbing the chariot. There must be some other reason for the friction. I feel the truth lies some where in between the fact and fiction. I know how the media relish such incidents and make a mountain out of molehill.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Puri priests manhandle Italian Odissi dancer Ileana Citaristi on Lord Jagannath's ch

Entry of Non-Hindus in Puri Jagannath Temple - A Study:

While browsing the internet for more information on Entry of Non Hindus in Puri Jagannath Temple I stepped into an
interesting study done on this subject by Dr. Rekhsrani Khuntia and Dr. Brajabandhu Bhatta
published in the Government E-Magazine "Odisha Review". Those who have time and inclination can read the same in the following Weblink:

http://orissa.gov.in/e-magazine/Orissareview/2012/June/engpdf/110-115.pdf

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore

Last edited:
A juicy report!

Fortunately odisha has a secular, bjp-unfriendly government government headed by a person who has not learnt to read, write or speak in his mother tongue. We can expect the police to do a quick investigation and prosecution of the guilty priests, as reported in the media with visible glee. If the investigation leads the police in some other direction, we can expect the police to keep quiet, despite shrill, over the roof shouting of the head hunters.

Any reporter who is honest to his profession will talk to the other party as well and report both sides of the story. Of course this is asking for the moon as the english media will not stoop to such levels of balanced reporting. Only vernacular media will give the other half of the story; or some honest soul will write a blog or tweet giving a close to truth version - whether the italian lady flaunted her padmasree, dance skills, white skin, closeness to the first lady, abused the priests in choicest italian slang abuse, or was wearing inappropriate dress or sandals. Temple's chief administrator has ordered an inquiry, and there it stands. We can expect the priests to put up a spirited defence.

I hope the OP will look and keep watch on the follow up action taken by the police and the italian embassy. (kerala fishermen shooting case). What beats all is the salivation exhibited!

Thanks for the interesting link. What caught my attention and interest (from the paper) is the inscription in the marble plate at the lion gate entrance - only orthodox hindus are allowed. Crowd control will be a breeze.

Entry of Non-Hindus in Puri Jagannath Temple - A Study:

While browsing the internet for more information on Entry of Non Hindus in Puri Jagannath Temple I stepped into an
interesting study done on this subject by Dr. Rekhsrani Khuntia and Dr. Brajabandhu Bhatta
published in the Government E-Magazine "Odisha Review". Those who have time inclination can read the same in the following Weblink:

http://orissa.gov.in/e-magazine/Orissareview/2012/June/engpdf/110-115.pdf

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore

They both are treated the same, just a little bit of alteration in the letters is what led to the confusion! or probably the priests read it from right to left.

Having said that, it still remains an allegation. We may never know the truth of what happened.

Let us get the facts straight, before we string the entire English medium news outlets from the nearest lamp post.
Ileana Citaristi said "We know that non-Hindus are not allowed in Jagannath temple

When code words like Any reporter who is honest to his profession, please read it as My POV. They do not want honest opinion.

I should have included a group in my OP called Deluded, but then they would not know their grouping.

NPMs have a short attention span.

"Any reporter who is honest to his profession will talk to the other party as well and report both sides of the story."

It is to be noted that the Shankaracharya of Puri has not clarified who are eligible to climb the chariots carrying the deities. Priests of the Shri Jagannath Temple have been vehemently opposing the entry of foreign nationals and non-Hindus into the 12th century shrine. However, during the Car Festival, devotees irrespective of their caste, creed and religion are allowed to come to the chariots and pay their obeisance.

The_Hindu: OOps an English media.

Senior administrative officers, including Mr Arabinda Padhee, IAS, and head of the Temple Administration , expressed regret and said action will be taken.
The president of Daitapati Niyog, a body of servitors, Mr Ramakrushna also expressed his displeasure. “I apologize on behalf of the servitors, said Mr Ramakrushna.

The_Statesman: Dito.

A similar incident had taken place last year in which a foreigner was beaten up by some servitors atop the chariot. The incident had created a storm in Odisha that had prompted the temple administrator not to allow devotees to climb the chariots. However, the temple administration had withdrawn its decision after the daitapatis threatened non-cooperation with the official to ensure a hassle-free rath yatra.

The_telegraph: Dito

I do not have vernacular paper from Odisha.

Last edited:
The priests (Pandas?) of Puri jagannath temple are infamous for their brute behaviour in extracting money from visitors to the temple, it seems. My cousin's son, 30-ish, based Delhi told me that when he visited that temple, one panda simply caught hold of his head while he was half-prstarting before the deity and would not leave his vice-like grip until this youth shelled out 1000 rupees which that panda was demanding. Somehow my cousin's son physically struggled and got out of that grip and bolted - with his life, so to say. While narrating this he said, "I will never again go to that temple, nor advise anyone else to visit it."

In the OP case also, the issue reportedly was money to be offered but, as a female, this dancer has a better legal status. If some exemplary punishment is meted out to thee culprit panda, we -the public - may be satisfied but Jagannath temple won't improve even a bit because these pandas earn in lakhs per month when the season comes and they are all too much of ruffians to improve.

BTW, some STs in Orissa claim that both Krishna had incestuous relations with subhadra and this makes the locals to abuse the gods when the images come out in procession. (Lord Jagannath Rath Yatra 201, Chariot Festival, Puri Rath Yatra). Hence "as the deity, so the priests". !!

I don't get it???

renus, please dont insult the dogs, and also dont compare the treatment of ileana to that of a dog.

have you seen how dogs are treated here in the western societies. if i should have a rebirth, i would have no hesitation being born a dog in the west. :) hee hee

dear sangom,

re your post #13, i have heard that pandas are pretty aggressive and money gougers all over north. i remember my parents' visit to gaya, and how thanks to my bil who looks and acts tough, the pandas, laid off my dad. otherwise, he would have been fleeced for a few thousands. this from my mother.

renus, please dont insult the dogs, and also dont compare the treatment of ileana to that of a dog.

have you seen how dogs are treated here in the western societies. if i should have a rebirth, i would have no hesitation being born a dog in the west. :) hee hee

Oops sorry...I was talking about the desi canines...they are not treated well most of the while.

have you seen how dogs are treated here in the western societies. if i should have a rebirt:)
in my case, his master's voice comes out sounding like wow, wow!!! Have you seen inter-specious love Nova program? Love for non-human animals is what makes us human animals, IMHO .......Google Peter Singer and see why vegetarianism is moral unlike brahminism and Vedanta...

Dear Sri Nara,

in my case, his master's voice comes out sounding like wow, wow!!! Have you seen inter-specious love Nova program? Love for non-human animals is what makes us human animals, IMHO .......Google Peter Singer and see why vegetarianism is moral unlike brahminism and Vedanta...

Instead of starting the topic of "moral" at some arbitrary cut off point like 1970, 100 years ago, when I realised the intolerance of brahmins or brahminism, at the time of vedanta, when BG was written, composed or narrated etc." and adding on to one's own bias, please let me know the first book that ever codified morals and moral values. My gut feeling is that agnostics and atheists had no locus standii and they are late jumpers into the bandwagon of morals, universal principes, empathy. sympathy etc.

Regards

It is a great shame that the priests behaved in a brutal way. it is unbecoming a vedic scholars to behave like that bringing disgrace to the community and the profession.They should be shown the door as a warning to others.

It is a great shame that the priests behaved in a brutal way. it is unbecoming a vedic scholars to behave like that bringing disgrace to the community and the profession.They should be shown the door as a warning to others.

Dear Sir,

Agreed..brutality of any form is not condoned but I have no problems if a priest or anyone has the guts to stand up for his/her rights(I am not talking about this case where the actions of the priests were wrong).

In normal cases I somehow see that people expect a priest or a learned person to be an இளிச்சவாய்.

As far as I know the saying goes "Let noble thoughts come to us from all directions of the Universe"...no where it is stated that "Let abuses come to us from all directions of the Universe"

So be it Dalit or Brahmin or anything else in between no one should be at the receiving end of anyone else.

Last edited:
Her complaint:

"I climbed the chariot to pay my obeisance in the morning. When I was atop the chariot, two servitors demanded Rs. 1000. But I refused.”
“Annoyed at my refusal, two servitors pushed me, knocked me on the head and tried to make an issue of my foreign origin.”

Servitor means attendant. Some have promoted the two servitors as priests. Another trend nowadays is not to specify the source - say PTI or press release etc; they just pick up from phone conversations, internet, sms and publish it under the name of staff reporter. There is no self verification or acknowledgement to sources.

Times of India was exposed recently for its report on Modi airlifting 15000 from uttarakand disaster zone in two days. The reporter had spun his own story and TOI published it to embarrass Modi. The hindu too had to apologise profusely for publishing a ghost, unverified story on gujarat government.

Lesson is, don't immediately believe such reports on the first read; wait for the dust to settle. There are people who cite forum postings as evidence in their thought, word and deed.

Sitara (Bangalore)
23 Jul, 2013 02:12 PM
I am not surprised to hear about the behaviour of the priests. During my visit to the Jagannath temple as a young teenager during a school excursion many years ago, the priests demanded money blatantly to allow us into the temple. Once inside, a couple of other priests, who kept shouting and pushing us, beat us on our backs with sticks as we walked past and then demanded Rs100 from each of us who was beaten, saying they had "blessed" us with the beating and had to be paid. It was the most horrible visit to a temple in my entire life.

The priests there are nothing but money-hungry, disrespectful thugs.

swati (patna) 1 day ago
we faced same treatment during the darshan in jaggannath temple. the priests shout and bang our head when denied their expected dakshina!!! Its a rather scary experience than devotional experience. very cheap!
Sushil Gupta (Ind.)
This not only Puri all worship places Pandas And Pujaries exploit the innocent .Every where there is no respect of religieon sentiments .One visit any worship place this is pure and simple business .You go to Shirdi more then one crore is his g showered in Tempe still Parshad is being sold there .Many instance es of Gold theft only last week 4 kg Gold got missing ?Our public will donate he'll of money on these worship places will never try to help needy .Not only Tenors even Masjids are no better .

Real people have real POV, and sometimes they are accurate, as opposed to the whitewash( or is it hogwash) that is being sold.

Her complaint:

"I climbed the chariot to pay my obeisance in the morning. When I was atop the chariot, two servitors demanded Rs. 1000. But I refused.”
“Annoyed at my refusal, two servitors pushed me, knocked me on the head and tried to make an issue of my foreign origin.”

Servitor means attendant. Some have promoted the two servitors as priests. Another trend nowadays is not to specify the source - say PTI or press release etc; they just pick up from phone conversations, internet, sms and publish it under the name of staff reporter. There is no self verification or acknowledgement to sources.

Times of India was exposed recently for its report on Modi airlifting 15000 from uttarakand disaster zone in two days. The reporter had spun his own story and TOI published it to embarrass Modi. The hindu too had to apologise profusely for publishing a ghost, unverified story on gujarat government.

Lesson is, don't immediately believe such reports on the first read; wait for the dust to settle. There are people who cite forum postings as evidence in their thought, word and deed.

Sri Sarang,

News papers are known to hide behind the freedom of anonymity of source while releasing the news item. I have mentioned about my doubt on the news in my post #5 in this tread. The English news media has become notorious in giving leakage news.. "The Hindu" has completely lost its credibility as a reputed newspaper for balanced views, now it is a secular leftist champion, TOI has become a paid catalog where we have to search news in between Advertisements.
Festival time in major Temples are treasure trove for money making. Employees in Temples are not so naïve to miss the golden opportunity. I am not going into the details, since many of us would have faced such situations during our Temple visits.

Sri Sarang,

News papers are known to hide behind the freedom of anonymity of source while releasing the news item. I have mentioned about my doubt on the news in my post #5 in this tread. The English news media has become notorious in giving leakage news.. "The Hindu" has completely lost its credibility as a reputed newspaper for balanced views, now it is a secular leftist champion, TOI has become a paid catalog where we have to search news in between Advertisements.
Festival time in major Temples are treasure trove for money making. Employees in Temples are not so naïve to miss the golden opportunity. I am not going into the details, since many of us would have faced such situations during our Temple visits.

Is there anybody you trust? if you say news organization can not be trusted, ordinary devotees can not be trusted? Who is left other than the Temple goondas?

Is there anybody you trust? if you say news organization can not be trusted, ordinary devotees can not be trusted? Who is left other than the Temple goondas?

Prasadji,
I will make a limited point regarding the underlined portion. Let us leave aside the facts of this case, there is a serious trust deficit between media organisations and consumers in India.It started with selling of editorial space by TOI followed by other newspapers. The rot was furthered by deliberate plants and editorial slants. Nadir was the Radiagate. After Radiagate it was nauseating to see the journalists involved in it brazening out the allegations. Worse, they threatened legal action against bloggers if they were critical of these worthies. As of now our English MSM is totally subservient to the dynasty and nothing critical of them would be published or at best would be glossed over. Its hard to take media on face value these days and one is forced to question the motivations. The automatic suspension of disbelief is no longer there while reading or viewing news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back