• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Pooja Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pooja Room
Brahman has manifested as every thing in creation. One has to see himself in every thing and every thing in him - Gita.

You can take any object in creation and see god in that and worship. But traditionally certain objects only are selected and the daity is invoked as it is difficult for common to grasp this truth. ( Eg - Saligrama- Vishnu, Linga for Shiva). In temples devatha-forms are installed with features described in puranas and other scriptures so that the worshiper doesnot have difficulty in invoking the daity and doing worship.

At home when we do pooja, it is supposed to be after avahanam, prana prathishta etc and and do visarjanam (release the daiety) after pooja. This however in not practicable for ordinary people to follow daily. As such keeping small idols or pictures - any number - in pooja room is ok. But it will be rediculous to have too many same daieties in various vesha in same place as an art gallary. Invoking lord on the portrait or vigraha on special occasions like Krishna Jayanthi, Ganesha pooja, Dassara etc may be possible because of holidays and also the environment is charged with pooja atmosphere.

Scriptures talk of only one god manifesting as many avathars which lord as assumed for specific purposes. We may perhaps like to keep the portraits or vigrahas symbolising all these. Some like to have many moorthies of same ishta devatha - it is their preference. Once you like to have many portraits and vigrahas, you also have the responsibility of maintaining them. The sanctity is important. After taking bath, a lamp to be lighted daily at the pooja area. As often possible, offer some flowers and recite some slokas. If there are too many portraits and vigrahas, it is practically difficult to maintain the sanctity which is more important.​

Pooja Room
Brahman has manifested as every thing in creation. One has to see himself in every thing and every thing in him - Gita.

You can take any object in creation and see god in that and worship. But traditionally certain objects only are selected and the daity is invoked as it is difficult for common to grasp this truth. ( Eg - Saligrama- Vishnu, Linga for Shiva). In temples devatha-forms are installed with features described in puranas and other scriptures so that the worshiper doesnot have difficulty in invoking the daity and doing worship.

At home when we do pooja, it is supposed to be after avahanam, prana prathishta etc and and do visarjanam (release the daiety) after pooja. This however in not practicable for ordinary people to follow daily. As such keeping small idols or pictures - any number - in pooja room is ok. But it will be rediculous to have too many same daieties in various vesha in same place as an art gallary. Invoking lord on the portrait or vigraha on special occasions like Krishna Jayanthi, Ganesha pooja, Dassara etc may be possible because of holidays and also the environment is charged with pooja atmosphere.

Scriptures talk of only one god manifesting as many avathars which lord as assumed for specific purposes. We may perhaps like to keep the portraits or vigrahas symbolising all these. Some like to have many moorthies of same ishta devatha - it is their preference. Once you like to have many portraits and vigrahas, you also have the responsibility of maintaining them. The sanctity is important. After taking bath, a lamp to be lighted daily at the pooja area. As often possible, offer some flowers and recite some slokas. If there are too many portraits and vigrahas, it is practically difficult to maintain the sanctity which is more important.​

Sir,
First of all should it be in Chit-Chat section?
Secondly what is the goal of your thread?
Are you specifying the proper way of organizing a pooja room?
Are you making a point about how we should think of God?
It is not obvious to me.

"Puja" is a ritualistic form of "Dharana" or the fixing of the mind on something external or internal. The mind can be fixed externally on the picture of ones ishta devatha or on any other object or point. Internally it can be fixed on any Chakra or any part of the body or on any abstract idea. In Yoga Sastra mind is controlled through Pranayama and the Indriyas through Pratyahara, or holding the mind on something. By Dharana the mind is trained to assume the form of only one Vritti or wave in the mind-lake.

"Puja" is the easiest method or first step towards mind control, since it is based entirely on one's fath. "Faith" does not need reasoning. Ultimate aim of all religious practices is to attain union of "created with creator", which is called "Yoga". Primary requirement for this is silencing the "mind", which is tried by different practices according to the requirement of indivual. In Bhagavad Gita, Yogeshwara Krishna describes different methods of yogic practices to Arjuna in all the eighteen chapters, but ends them with the famous advise :-
sarva-dharmān parityajya mām ekaṁ śaraṇaṁ vraja
ahaṁ tvāṁ sarva-pāpebhyo mokṣayiṣyāmi mā śucaḥ

(BG 18.66)
"Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear." Thus the Lord takes all responsibility for one who surrenders unto Him, and He indemnifies such a person against all reactions of sins.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Sir,
First of all should it be in Chit-Chat section?
Secondly what is the goal of your thread?
Are you specifying the proper way of organizing a pooja room?
Are you making a point about how we should think of God?
It is not obvious to me.

Dear Prasad ji,

Person is a newbie...I guess still a bit unsure of various sections of Forum hence the post came to the Chit Chat section.

I guess Chandrasekhar Ji wanted to contribute something to forum...so let us welcome him to share more and help him know where to post topics related to prayers.

Dear Prasad ji,

Person is a newbie...I guess still a bit unsure of various sections of Forum hence the post came to the Chit Chat section.

I guess Chandrasekhar Ji wanted to contribute something to forum...so let us welcome him to share more and help him know where to post topics related to prayers.

I do not think my post was rude, but if others feel it that way I am sorry.
I still want to know the intent of the Original post.

The ideas he has about the poojA room are given in the OP.

He might have posted it in Chit Chat to enable other members to share their views, without any inhibition. :)

Dear Prasad Ji,

Don't get me wrong...your post was not rude but I was just wondering if the newbie was just a bit unsure where to post.

I really appreciate the first post (and the person who posted) for its suggestions and ideas given for a pUja room

May be this is what Shri TBS ji (http://www.greenmesg.org/mantras_slokas/sri_shiva-shiva_manasa_puja.php ) referring to Body is a temple (or pUja) from Shiva mAnasa Stotra

आत्मा त्वं गिरिजा मतिः सहचराः प्राणाः शरीरं गृहं
पूजा ते विषयोपभोगरचना निद्रा समाधिस्थितिः ।
सञ्चारः पदयोः प्रदक्षिणविधिः स्तोत्राणि सर्वा गिरो
यद्यत्कर्म करोमि तत्तदखिलं शम्भो तवाराधनम् ॥४॥
Aatmaa Tvam Girijaa Matih Sahacaraah Praannaah Shariiram Grham
Puujaa Te Vissayo[a-U]pabhoga-Racanaa Nidraa Samaadhi-Sthitih |
San.caarah Padayoh Pradakssinna-Vidhih Stotraanni Sarvaa Giro
Yad-Yat-Karma Karomi Tat-Tad-Akhilam Shambho Tava-Araadhanam ||4||

Meaning:
4.1: O Lord, You are my Atma (Soul), Devi Girija (the Divine Mother) is my Buddhi (Pure Intellect), the Shiva Ganas (the Companions or Attendants) are my Prana and my Body is Your Temple,
4.2: My Interactions with the World are Your Worship and my Sleep is the State of Samadhi (complete absorption in You),
4.3: My Feet Walking about is Your Pradakshina (Circumambulation); all my Speech are Your Hymns of Praises,
4.4:Whatever work I do, all that is Your Aradhana (Worship), O Shambhu.

I really appreciate the first post (and the person who posted) for its suggestions and ideas given for a pUja room

May be this is what Shri TBS ji (http://www.greenmesg.org/mantras_slokas/sri_shiva-shiva_manasa_puja.php ) referring to Body is a temple (or pUja) from Shiva mAnasa Stotra

Meaning:
4.1: O Lord, You are my Atma (Soul), Devi Girija (the Divine Mother) is my Buddhi (Pure Intellect), the Shiva Ganas (the Companions or Attendants) are my Prana and my Body is Your Temple,
4.2: My Interactions with the World are Your Worship and my Sleep is the State of Samadhi (complete absorption in You),
4.3: My Feet Walking about is Your Pradakshina (Circumambulation); all my Speech are Your Hymns of Praises,

Excellent reference , thanks

Meaning:
hi

thanks.....आत्मा त्वं गिरिजा मतिः सहचराः प्राणाः शरीरं गृहं......

I am still confused.
Do we need to have a physical "pooja room"?
If "yes" then why?
What should be in this room? The op stated that we must not have too many idols or pictures? Why?
Previously some member stated that they have gone beyond the concept of pooja room. Is that acceptable?
I wanted to engage Chandasekharji.

Dear Prasad Sir,

Let me try to answer your Qs,

I am still confused.
Do we need to have a physical "pooja room"?
Yes!

If "yes" then why?
Because we need to visualize our God / Goddess to concentrate in a prayer.

What should be in this room?
Some pictures and idols of Gods and Goddesses of our liking! :)

The op stated that we must not have too many idols or pictures? Why?
The room has to be neat and clean and too many idols and pictures will make it appear congested.

Previously some member stated that they have gone beyond the concept of pooja room. Is that acceptable?
Not acceptable; even for the moderately orthodox persons (like me)!! :)
In Sing. Chennai, even the tiniest apartment has a shelf as a place for Swami.

I wanted to engage Chandasekharji.
OMG!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back