• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Points to ponder!

Status
Not open for further replies.
# 1.
Geniuses are like ocean liners; they should never meet".
(Louis Aragon).

"Genius may have limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped".
(Elbert Hubbard).

Acquaintance: "A person whom we know well enough to borrow from but not well enough to lend to".
(Ambrose Bierce).

"Harangue: A speech by an opponent, who is known as an harang-outang".
(Ambrose Bierce).

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent dong nothing"
(George Bernard Shaw).

Last edited:
[FONT=comic sans ms,sans-serif]# 2.

One machine can do the work of 50 ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

"An ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness."

"Never explain- your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway."

"The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: Be satisfied with your opinions and content with your knowledge."

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber."

"Your friend is the man who knows all about you, and still likes you."

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one."

(Elbert Hubbard).
[/FONT]

Sow.Sri.Visalakshi Ramani,

Never explain......I wish to disagree with that point. If I don't explain, I may not retain some of my friends; by explaining, I may convince my enemy; I don't know until I try. By failing to explain, I may loose the support of the neutrals.

Your frind is....... I think differently. My friend is the one who knows all about me and never hesitates to critisise me. I love the persons who criticise me (luckily, I have a few); I never trust a person who does not criticise me at all (often times I noticed them digging a hole behind me). My life experiences taught me a thing or two.....

An ounce of loyalty........There is also a saying which goes something like this..."an intelligent enemy is more resirable than a stupid friend/follower".

Cheers!

Dear Mr. Raghy,
Friends LOVe us- not because they do not know anything about us-but in spite of knowing us like the back of their own hands!
That is why it is rare to find a true friend!
Friends are meant to criticize and guide us - and NOT just play JALRA and clap their hands all the time!
As for cleverness, it is more often associated with selfish interests where as Loyalty is always towards another person.
So definitely the ratio of Loyalty:Cleverness=an ounce: one pound is correct, in my opinion!
with warm regards,
Visalakshi Ramani.

# 3.

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go."

"Duty is what one expects from others, it is not what one does oneself."

"I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself."

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."

(Oscar Wilde)

"Always acknowledge a fault frankly. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you the opportunity to commit more."

"Humor is mankind's greatest blessing."

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example."

"Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand."

(Mark Twain)

Last edited:
Dear Mr. Raghy,
Friends LOVe us- not because they do not know anything about us-but in spite of knowing us like the back of their own hands!
That is why it is rare to find a true friend!
Friends are meant to criticize and guide us - and NOT just play JALRA and clap their hands all the time!
As for cleverness, it is more often associated with selfish interests where as Loyalty is always towards another person.
So definitely the ratio of Loyalty:Cleverness=an ounce: one pound is correct, in my opinion!
with warm regards,
Visalakshi Ramani.

Sow.Sri.Visalakshi Ramani,

I agree with what you said about 'friends'. I am going a bit further from there. Such a friendship can not be taken for granted. Frindship is like glass; can be very brittle- Happened neumorous times around us. That's why explaining is essential with friendship. I wouln't bother explaining to an enemy...who cares? I don't give a hoot anyway! But I care for a friendship, hence I should be transparent. Personally, I do all the explaining and reasons for my actions; if I don't see the same kind of care reciprocated, I take it as lack of friendship. Usually I toss it in the waste basket without a second thought. I learned that lesson from (bitter) experiences.

About cleverness and loyalty....they are not in right prespective, in my humble opinion, please. Cleverness/stupidness....loyalty/ disloyalty would be more appropriate. When I said 'a clever enemy is preferred', I meant, a clever enemy would keep one on their toes; the situation can be more productive.

Cheers!

Dear Mr. Raghy,
These are quotations which impressed me and made me think about their subject matter!
They are NOT my words nor my opinions!
If we want compare stupidity with cleverness we should be conducting I.Q tests!
Personally I prefer to have no enemies-either clever or stupid :)
What do you say?
with warm regards,
Visalakshi Ramani.

Dear Mr. Raghy,
These are quotations which impressed me and made me think about their subject matter!
They are NOT my words nor my opinions!
If we want compare stupidity with cleverness we should be conducting I.Q tests!
Personally I prefer to have no enemies-either clever or stupid :)
What do you say?
with warm regards,
Visalakshi Ramani.

Sow.Sri.Vishalakshi Ramani,

Personally I believe, a life without an enemy can be very dull.

I don't think we need I.Q tests to seperate stupids from clever. They can be identified by their actions, the way it gets performed, the aim and the result of the actions give enough informations. Some actions fall in the grey area too. (I leave the grey areas to your imiginations!).

I know you wrote quotations, I know they are not your words. You asked us to 'ponder' the points; so, I pondered. Now you are complaining! இது சரியான அழுகுணி ஆட்டம்!

Cheers!

An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.(Gandhiji)

You must be the change you wish to see in this world. (Gandhiji)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever. (Gandhiji)

To believe in something and not live it, is dishonest. (Gandhiji)

The weak never forgive, forgiveness is the attribute of the strongest. (Gandhiji)

Keep your head and your heart in the right direction and you'll never have to worry about your feet. (unknown)

[FONT=comic sans ms,sans-serif]#4

"What a good thing Adam had. When he said a good thing he knew nobody had said it before."

"Whatever a man's age may be, he can reduce it several years by putting on a bright-coloured flower in his button hole."

"In a museum in Havana there are two skulls of Christopher Columbus-one when he was a boy and one when he was a man."

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain."

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

"Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been."

"Dance like nobody's watching,
Love like you've never been hurt,
Sing like nobody's listening,
Live like it is heaven on earth."

(Mark Twain)
[/FONT]

Dear Mr. Raghy,

I copied the quotations! You can see the names of the authors along with the quotations.

The name "Points to Ponder" is because each of these sayings needs a little more attention from us, than a mere fleeting glance.

Life without enemies may be dull but it will be very peaceful. Any day I am ready to trade Excitement for Peace! :)

with warm regards,
Visalakshi Ramani.

[FONT=comic sans ms,sans-serif]#5

Polish Proverb:
He who cannot dance blames the band for being under-rehearsed.

Chinese Proverb:
If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum.

Italian Proverb:
Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back to the same box.

South American Proverb:
Do not insult Queen crocodile, until you have crossed the river.

African Proverb:
He who is carried on another's back does not appreciate how far the town is.

Japanese Proverb:
He who travels for love finds a thousand miles no farther than one.

[/FONT]

[FONT=comic sans ms,sans-serif]#6

Chinese Proverbs:

A smile will earn you ten more years of life.

When you have only two coins left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one and a lily with the other.

There is no economy in going to bed early to save candles, if the result is twins.

African Proverbs:

If a naked man runs through your village at the middle of the night, be sure to get dressed before you chase him.

When you are in love, a cliff becomes a meadow.

Abyssinian Proverb:

The whisper of a pretty girl can be heard further than the roar of a lion.
[/FONT]

Spanish Proverb:
"How beautiful it is to do nothing and then take rest afterwards."

Chinese Proverb:
"The palest ink is stronger than the clearest memory."

Japanese Proverb:
"One lovely smile can warm three winter months"

Cornish Proverb:
"Laughter and a generous giving make a heaven of a crowded room."

Danish Proverb:
"Bad is never good until worse happens!"

African Proverb:
"An army of sheep led by a lion would vanquish an army of lion led by a sheep."

Danish Proverb:
"The road to a friend's house is never too long."

Russian Proverb:
"If you can't catch a Bird of Paradise, be content with an old wet hen."

Balkan Proverb:
"A good rest is half the work done."

Nigerian Proverb:
"Hold a true friend with both your hands."

Hebrew Proverb:
"If one person tells you that you have the ears of an ass pay no attention. If two people tell you this, go get yourself a saddle."

Turkish Proverb:
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day!"

Last edited:

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubts."

It's been my long experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues."

"To hear another's heart ache is to forget one's own."

(Abraham Lincoln).

"The greatest pleasure I know is to do a good action by stealth and have it found out by accident."

"I always arrive late at the office, but I make up for it by leaving early!"

(Charles Lamb)

# 10 (due on 22nd October).

"He who truly knows, has no occasion to shout."
(Leonardo Da Vinci)

"I have never failed. I've found 10,000 ways that won't work."

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
(Thomas Alva Edison)

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
(Albert Einstein)

"In skating over thin ice our safety is in our speed."

"Earth laughs in flowers."
(Emerson)

# 11(due on 23rd October)

"The secret of humour is surprise."

"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work"
(Aristotle)

"What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity.These are trifles to be sure: but scattered along the pathway, the good they do is inconceivable."
(Joseph Addison)

"Nothing is really work, until you would rather be doing something else."
(Sir. James Barrie)

"When a man is willing and eager, the Gods join in."
(Aeschylus)

"The bird a nest, the spider a web, man friendship."

# 12.
"The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, he will make a fool of himself too."

"All who would win joy must share it; happiness is born a twin."
(Samuel Butler)

"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given to him by his father but borrowed from his children."
(John James Audubon)

"It is a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
(Louis Carrol)

"All saints have a past and all sinners have a future"
(Anton Chekhov)

"You can tell a lot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jelly beans."
(Ronald Reagan)

# 13.

"Do not free a camel of the burden of his hump; you may be freeing him from being a camel"

"The home is not the tame place in the world of adventure. It is the one wild place in the world of rules and set tasks."

"The best way to catch a train is to miss the one before."
(G.K.Chesterton)

"A good statue can be rolled downhill without causing any damage."
(Michelangelo)

"Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play."
(Heraclitus)

"My theory, briefly, is that the Universe was dictated but not signed."
(Christopher Morley)

# 14.

"What garlic is to salad, insanity is to art."
(Augustus Homer Saint Gaudens)

"A good laugh is sunshine in a house."
(William Makepeace Thackeray)

"Those move easiest, who have learnt to dance."
(Alexander Pope)

"To be agreeable in society you must consent to be taught things you already know."
(Johann Kasper Lavater)

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."
(Plato)

"If I am to speak for for ten minutes, I need a week for preparation; if fifteen minutes, three days;
if half an hour two days; if an hour I am ready now."
(Woodrow Wilson)

It is better to wander in a mountain-pass with the
wild beasts than to live in the palace of the gods with a
fool.

The Creator has given man, as it were, a cloak to
conceal his ignorance : with that he can cover himself at
all times, for it is always at hand. That gift is silence,
the special ornament of the ignorant in the assembly of
the wise.

(BHARTRIHARI)

Status