• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Pitru Karma rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

margam

Dear Respected Members,
Recently, I had to take up the pitru karma for my father's Chittappa who did not have any issues. Since none in my father's generation were in a position to take it initially it was discussed to have kaipull from my chittappa and do it but later, the sastrigal said there is no need as I am in a way the grandson for him and I can do it. I would appreciate kind advice on rituals to be followed. I have completed 13 days of kaaryam and was told regular masiyam and sodhakumbham to be performed until varushapdhegam but some sastra texts says otherwise. Appreciate views from learned members on this.
Thanks & regards
Chandrasekaran

Pithru karma rules may vary according to soothrams and or vedas. Are you telugu brahmin or iyengar or aapasthamba soothram or any other soothram.Then only wecan tell you about pithru karyams.

Dear Respected Members,
Recently, I had to take up the pitru karma for my father's Chittappa who did not have any issues. Since none in my father's generation were in a position to take it initially it was discussed to have kaipull from my chittappa and do it but later, the sastrigal said there is no need as I am in a way the grandson for him and I can do it. I would appreciate kind advice on rituals to be followed. I have completed 13 days of kaaryam and was told regular masiyam and sodhakumbham to be performed until varushapdhegam but some sastra texts says otherwise. Appreciate views from learned members on this.
Thanks & regards
Chandrasekaran

Shri Chandra sekharan,

As our esteemed member Gopalan has written, there are some minor differences according to sutra, region etc. But I take it that your doubt is whether as you are not the son, is it necessary for you to do maasikam and aabdeekam. Since this is essentially a matter of belief and the belief is that the departed soul gets into the pitruloka only after the rites done during the aabdeekam, I feel it is better for you to do the maasikams sodakumbhams and aabdeekam properly, unless your financial position is not good enough (which I wish is not true). In case you are not inheriting any asset or property (including bank deposit) of the deceased person, there is no compulsion on you to do the annual Sraaddhas thereafter.

Pithru karma rules may vary according to soothrams and or vedas. Are you telugu brahmin or iyengar or aapasthamba soothram or any other soothram.Then only wecan tell you about pithru karyams.

Mr. Gopalan sir,
Just out of curiosity how can an Iyyangar have Chadrasekaran as his name? Why bring caste into the posting here. I would rather say the family tradition instead of using inflammatory words.

Mr. Chandrasekaran,
Mu condolences to you on your loss. Please do what pleases your extended family. Do as much as possible that the family left behind is happy. IMO the rites we do must please the living, and grieving.

Last edited:
Dear Sir,
I am a Iyer and a descendent of Sanskrit Scholar Appaya Dikshitar. I was bit confused on the rules as I am doing the rites for my grandfather's younger brother who did not have any issues. I have done the 12 days of rites and completed the sapindeekaranam which means I need to ensure the maasiyam and Aapdeekam are done but some of the texts of vedic rituals point otherwise on this.

I am not inheriting any asset but my doubt was more driven by actual rituals that needs to be done and rules for the same.

Thanks
Regards
Chandrasekaran

In case you are not inheriting any asset or property (including bank deposit) of the deceased person, there is no compulsion on you to do the annual Sraaddhas thereafter.

hedonic view! "Enakku enna irukku?" I believe, people who willed property with earnest hope that the person doing pitru karyas will not be additionally burdened with economic problems, will be 'turning in their grave' if they happen to learn of such (in)sane advice. Mr. Chandrasekaram wants to follow the rituals, not shy away from them.

hedonic view! "Enakku enna irukku?" I believe, people who willed property with earnest hope that the person doing pitru karyas will not be additionally burdened with economic problems, will be 'turning in their grave' if they happen to learn of such (in)sane advice. Mr. Chandrasekaram wants to follow the rituals, not shy away from them.

IRONY

Out of 38 persons eligible to do aparakarmas yours is in 12th. you are having 10 days dhayadhi. you have to do masyam and sothakumbam and abdhikam. and every year sratgham. In my anthim karyams thread i will give details about this. feel free to ask doubts in detail.

Thank you for the clarification. I will revert back if I get any further doubts
Thanks & Regards
Chandrasekaran

I have been performing my grand mother's ceremony (my mother's mother)since my mother was her only daughter and she had no sons.I have been advised that I should continue performing the thithti even though my mother also passed away few years back.I am doing this pitru karma as advised.

Hi Thanks for the reply. Yes I know this as my elder brother does for my grandfather and grandmother (mother's side) as my mother is the only daughter. The current one I took for my father's chitthappa who did not have any issues and I was aware of some rules of priority but was getting different opinions from people I know as it is being done for Kanishta Pithamaha. Anyway got it confirmed from Mr. Gopalan and the rule applies in this case also. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back