• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Pithru Sabam, Pen Sabam (Pali), Man Sabam Parikaram - Reg

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you per your advice ‘take a re-look into books dealing with the "praSna mArga", a branch quite popular in Kerala”
Ialso admit that "praSna mArga" is perhaps one of the most important treatises on predictive astrology, revealing methods “peculiar to the genius of Kerala”
I have gone through the following books which are available readily in my personal library.I could not find the details of “Saabams and parihaarams”.

i) Neelakanta’s PraSna Tantraa (Horary Astrology)– English Translarion by B.V.Raman (UBSPD Publishers’ Distibuters Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi,Thirteenth Reprint – 2007
ii) PraSna mArga Part- II ……. English Translation by B.V.Raman-Motilal Banarsidaas Publishers Private Limited, Delhi, Second Edition, Fourth Reprint – 2006.

Would you mind naming any other good text in Engish ( Malayaalam , I know a little bit to converse with but could not read) for my further reference.
As I have served one tenure as the president of the Tamilnadu Astrological Graduates & Post Graduate Association, I am still interested to learn from any source.
hi

i have many books on astrology based on B V RAMAN....

As you per your advice ‘take a re-look into books dealing with the "praSna mArga", a branch quite popular in Kerala”
Ialso admit that "praSna mArga" is perhaps one of the most important treatises on predictive astrology, revealing methods “peculiar to the genius of Kerala”
I have gone through the following books which are available readily in my personal library.I could not find the details of “Saabams and parihaarams”.

i) Neelakanta’s PraSna Tantraa (Horary Astrology)– English Translarion by B.V.Raman (UBSPD Publishers’ Distibuters Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi,Thirteenth Reprint – 2007
ii) PraSna mArga Part- II ……. English Translation by B.V.Raman-Motilal Banarsidaas Publishers Private Limited, Delhi, Second Edition, Fourth Reprint – 2006.

Would you mind naming any other good text in Engish ( Malayaalam , I know a little bit to converse with but could not read) for my further reference.
As I have served one tenure as the president of the Tamilnadu Astrological Graduates & Post Graduate Association, I am still interested to learn from any source.

I recall that my favourite astrologer, who passed away many years ago, used to mention that SApams of various kinds can be divined from the horoscope. But I am unable to say which particular text clearly treats these and also uses the word SApam to denote these. (Other words like dOSham, kuRRam, vinai etc., can also indicate these.)

The said astrologer had practically no book learning and he learned from his father & grand father who were astrologers, and had full blessings of ambAL. Perhaps, you may have to approach some well learned astrologer from Kerala and learn directly from him.

I recall that my favourite astrologer, who passed away many years ago, used to mention that SApams of various kinds can be divined from the horoscope. But I am unable to say which particular text clearly treats these and also uses the word SApam to denote these. (Other words like dOSham, kuRRam, vinai etc., can also indicate these.)

The said astrologer had practically no book learning and he learned from his father & grand father who were astrologers, and had full blessings of ambAL. Perhaps, you may have to approach some well learned astrologer from Kerala and learn directly from him.

I have to humbly introduce myself to some who may not know much acquaintance with me.

After a degree in Mathematics,I did my post graduation in Mathematical Economics and became Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Bankers ( CAIIB).

Then out of personal interest I did graduation & post graduation in Astrology and also did research in Astrology in the topic " Comparative study of Indian Astrology with Western Astrology".

For the research, I have gone through almost all the important ancient Indian as well as western Astrological treatises. I did not come across any such thing in my research.

All the words like dOSham, kuRRam,Vinai, parhaarams etc....... are not found in ancient texts; but all appear to be later insertions by some professional astrologers without any evidence, for the reasons best known to them.
Their intention is basd with reality or to earn money by exploiting the belief/ fear of the people.

Those who all did PhD might know that .........mere words of father,grand father,blessings of Ambal, intuition obtained out of God's special blessings etc. are all acceptable evidences in research methodologies...... i.e. they would not be accepted as primary source / secondary source to substantiate the hypothesis of the research scholar.

Last edited:
I have to humbly introduce myself to some who may not know much acquaintance with me.

After a degree in Mathematics,I did my post graduation in Mathematical Economics and became Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Bankers ( CAIIB).

Then out of personal interest I did graduation & post graduation in Astrology and also did research in Astrology in the topic " Comparative study of Indian Astrology with Western Astrology".

For the research, I have gone through almost all the important ancient Indian as well as western Astrological treatises. I did not come across any such thing in my research.

All the words like dOSham, kuRRam,Vinai, parhaarams etc....... are not found in ancient texts; but all appear to be later insertions by some professional astrologers without any evidence, for the reasons best known to them.
Their intention is basd with reality or to earn money by exploiting the belief/ fear of the people.

Those who all did PhD might know that .........mere words of father,grand father,blessings of Ambal, intuition obtained out of God's special blessings etc. are all acceptable evidences in research methodologies...... i.e. they would not be accepted as primary source / secondary source to substantiate the hypothesis of the research scholar.

I am a 'run-of-the-mill' tabra born and brought up in a conservative family. My post was not a research theses on any subject but just for information. The astrologer whom I referred to had absolutely no academic qualifications and possibly did not even know English. But he had certain very astounding predictions, certified by the concerned people. This man never specified any fees and, during the 1970's, poor people used to give him one rupee or even some coins as fees. He died a very poor man.

Astrology is not only academic study and research theses and Ph.D.s but requires certain paranormal ability to make correct predictions. You seem to think that one can become a successful astrologer by merely more of academic studies and degrees from universities & Sansthas, etc. I am sure you will see the road sign at the end of the road, if you are not lucky enough to view it earlier in your life. May God bless you!

hi

i saw recently in NEEYA NAANA episode abt doctors believing in GOD....there are 2 groups...one god believing doctors...

others ONLY SCIENCE believers.....sorry i can't quote the episode here..i think episode number 182.....so astrology

as same....i know some astrologers called PADUR PANICKERS IN PALAKKAD REGION.....very traditional and NB's....BUT FAMOUS

FOR ASTROLOGY TRADITIONALLY.....NOT AN ACADEMIC DEGREE HOLDERS....

I personally think (opinion only) that it is not possible to predict any future events. My experience in watching people deal with prediction is that they tend to fill in the blanks of a given prediction with own details to make them to be true. Having said that I know it is a serious study for many people.

It seems you have taken a formal approach to learning the subject. Certainly you are an expert in this forum :)

One could conjecture that the Prarabdha Karma for a person may be expressed as the unique position of planets relative to the time/place of birth.
I cannot see how Pariharams can help alter this anyway. It can possibly help one to feel more confident having done some specified Pariharam.

In any case, if one's study of Vedic astrology is intermixed with evil and sapams then the entire area will have no basis in Vedic aspects. It is good to know that standard books on Astrology do not include ideas like Sapam etc

hi

i saw recently in NEEYA NAANA episode abt doctors believing in GOD....there are 2 groups...one god believing doctors...

others ONLY SCIENCE believers.....sorry i can't quote the episode here..i think episode number 182.....so astrology

as same....i know some astrologers called PADUR PANICKERS IN PALAKKAD REGION.....very traditional and NB's....BUT FAMOUS

FOR ASTROLOGY TRADITIONALLY.....NOT AN ACADEMIC DEGREE HOLDERS....

I have heard about the Panicker you refer to. But I do not know him personally.
But I know one his disciples from the same place. This disciple of Panicker is a Brahmin Sasthri; Doctorate in Sanskrit also. He learnt astrology from Panicker.I advised him often not to resort to earn by doing Parhaarams. He will not take anybody’s advice.
six years back This Sasthri conducted some “parhaarams and Ayul vrithi Homam” for a rich person in Chennai. For this, the Sasthri got a fee of Rs. 50,000/ and a golden chain weighing 50 grams by demand. Unfortunately, that rich person had died within 10 days from day after the “parhaarams and Ayul vrithi Homam”.
Regarding your comment “ASTROLOGY TRADITIONALLY....NOT AN ACADEMIC DEGREE HOLDERS “
I also accept that predictive skill in astrology could not be acquired by mere academic qualifications; but only coupled with rich experience. Mere traditional experience with out basic skill, aptitude and in depth knowledge is of no use; only lead to the practice of earning money from the innocents and ignorant by crook.
Regarding your comment that " NEEYA NAANA episode " the one in astrology is not of that kind.I have a great regard for Sangom ji, in this forum. I hope he may not refuse that. It is only a healthy debate.

" NEEYA NAANAs " emanate from only from unwanted ego and I am not an egoist.

My two rupees:

Learning and mastering astrology enables an astrologer only partly to engage in predictions. Astrology has everything to do with only time, the abstract and all pervasive entity.
An astrologer with his knowledge gained from study,guru and ancient granthas is only half way through when it comes to predictions. Using his knowledge he gets hold of only the coordinates of the individual in time entity. Then he has to move back or forth in the time space intuitively to "see" the events and record them. This is a special skill which our many astroger mama's lack without even being aware of what they lack.
It is something beyond the usual calculations and chart. That comes from genes, God's grace and luck.

I am a 'run-of-the-mill' tabra born and brought up in a conservative family. My post was not a research theses on any subject but just for information. The astrologer whom I referred to had absolutely no academic qualifications and possibly did not even know English. But he had certain very astounding predictions, certified by the concerned people. This man never specified any fees and, during the 1970's, poor people used to give him one rupee or even some coins as fees. He died a very poor man.

Astrology is not only academic study and research theses and Ph.D.s but requires certain paranormal ability to make correct predictions. You seem to think that one can become a successful astrologer by merely more of academic studies and degrees from universities & Sansthas, etc. I am sure you will see the road sign at the end of the road, if you are not lucky enough to view it earlier in your life. May God bless you!
Sir,
I am not putting in question the predictive skill of any body. Language not a barrier to predictive skill.
The astrologer you refer to, did not earn any thing from astrology is a matter to be appreciated. My uncle used to give free services in astrology to everybody. He is no more. I have learnt a lot of predictive astrology from his experience and a bit more by reading and referring books. My main hobby is astrology.
I never earned nor having an intention to earn from astrology. My managerial services for more than 37 years in a reputed bank, paying me a handsome amount as deferred wage (pension). The savings and interest I earn are more than enough. My wife is still in central govt. service and yet to retire. My two sons are engineers and one is in abroad. My Daughter who is a doctorate has been HOD & professor in an engineering college. All are married and well settled in life.
I used to offer my services to my friends & relatives free of cost only. Some astrologer friends in various parts of Tamilnadu used to discuss with me some astrological references.
These things, I reveal at this forum not to boast myself but only to establish that I also know a little bit even though not to the level of some eminent persons like you,in the forum.
Regarding your comments that “. You seem to think that one can become a successful astrologer by merely more of academic studies and degrees from universities & Sansthas “
I think it is an unwanted comment. I never boasted that I know everything. I never thought in that line.
Regarding your comments that ‘I am sure you will see the road sign at the end of the road, if you are not lucky enough to view it earlier in your life “
Again this is also unwarranted and seems to be the expression of ‘I only know all” attitude.
We are not playing the game “temple run” in mobile to get toppled unexpectedly by seeing the signal at the end. My steps are always measured well planed. I am always on slow speed; even if I see the signal at the end of the road I will manage well. I never used to have a situation allowing rush of blood in to my head.
I never tried / have intention to offend any body in this forum.

I personally think (opinion only) that it is not possible to predict any future events. My experience in watching people deal with prediction is that they tend to fill in the blanks of a given prediction with own details to make them to be true. Having said that I know it is a serious study for many people.
Sir,
I never said that it is possible to predict all possible specific future events.
If you go to the predictive astrologer with the question why it has not happened he will readily furnish again some astrological reasons why that had not happened.

But I know one his disciples from the same place. This disciple of Panicker is a Brahmin Sasthri; Doctorate in Sanskrit also. He learnt astrology from Panicker.I advised him often not to resort to earn by doing Parhaarams. He will not take anybody’s advice.
six years back This Sasthri conducted some “parhaarams and Ayul vrithi Homam” for a rich person in Chennai. For this, the Sasthri got a fee of Rs. 50,000/ and a golden chain weighing 50 grams by demand. Unfortunately, that rich person had died within 10 days from day after the “parhaarams and Ayul vrithi Homam”.
Regarding your comment “ASTROLOGY TRADITIONALLY....NOT AN ACADEMIC DEGREE HOLDERS “
I also accept that predictive skill in astrology could not be acquired by mere academic qualifications; but only coupled with rich experience. Mere traditional experience with out basic skill, aptitude and in depth knowledge is of no use; only lead to the practice of earning money from the innocents and ignorant by crook.
Regarding your comment that " NEEYA NAANA episode " the one in astrology is not of that kind.I have a great regard for Sangom ji, in this forum. I hope he may not refuse that. It is only a healthy debate.

hi

just info....i study masters in astrology....i have many books on astrology in sanskrit/english...but i never practiced,,,,

i tried many times....still im a layman in astrology...i had special interest in MEDICAL ASTROLOGY.....i did some

research on some pariharam for some incurable diseases...but still im not able to do much research...

hi

just info....i study masters in astrology....i have many books on astrology in sanskrit/english...but i never practiced,,,,

i tried many times....still im a layman in astrology...i had special interest in MEDICAL ASTROLOGY.....i did some

research on some pariharam for some incurable diseases...but still im not able to do much research...

I am curious to note that you are interested in Medical Astrology. Did you study the book "Astrology & Diagnosis" by Major S.G.Khot......Sagar Publications New Delhi. You can have a new exposure.

Some pariharams for some incurable diseases......... in my humble opinion some pariharams are mostly prescribed by many astrologers of present days only with an intention to extract money and cheat.

If you identify the planets as the the cause of the disease, you can prescribe to the patient to worship "the relevant God to the planet". It offers psychological satisfaction and solace to the patient and his family.

Please note that this is to be done in addition to the continuance of the usual medical treatment.
Reading infuse knowledge. Practice accelerates predictive skill and intuition required for prediction.

Last edited:
I am curious to note that you are interested in Medical Astrology. Did you study the book "Astrology & Diagnosis" by Major S.G.Khot......Sagar Publications New Delhi. You can have a new exposure.

Some pariharams for some incurable diseases......... in my humble opinion some pariharams are mostly prescribed by many astrologers of present days only with an intention to extract money and cheat.

If you identify the planets as the the cause of the disease, you can prescribe to the patient to worship "the relevant God to the planet". It offers psychological satisfaction and solace to the patient and his family.

Please note that this is be done in addition to the continuance of the usual medical treatment.
Reading infuse knowledge. Practice accelerates predictive skill and intuition required for prediction.
hi

i have vedic astrology and medical books.....i dont have all books.....still im a student in astrology and lay man....my chithappa

used to predict astrology for free of cost....but he is no more......

Sir,
I am not putting in question the predictive skill of any body. Language not a barrier to predictive skill.
The astrologer you refer to, did not earn any thing from astrology is a matter to be appreciated. My uncle used to give free services in astrology to everybody. He is no more. I have learnt a lot of predictive astrology from his experience and a bit more by reading and referring books. My main hobby is astrology.
I never earned nor having an intention to earn from astrology. My managerial services for more than 37 years in a reputed bank, paying me a handsome amount as deferred wage (pension). The savings and interest I earn are more than enough. My wife is still in central govt. service and yet to retire. My two sons are engineers and one is in abroad. My Daughter who is a doctorate has been HOD & professor in an engineering college. All are married and well settled in life.
I used to offer my services to my friends & relatives free of cost only. Some astrologer friends in various parts of Tamilnadu used to discuss with me some astrological references.
These things, I reveal at this forum not to boast myself but only to establish that I also know a little bit even though not to the level of some eminent persons like you,in the forum.

Thanks very much for all the info. I am nowhere near you either in academic knowledge of astrology nor in predictive ability. As regards the latter, my revered astrologer had told me a long time ago that it might be difficult for me to gain that "god's grace" (not my words but my astrologer's words) but I have the 'buddhi' to read and understand the texts.

Regarding your comments that “. You seem to think that one can become a successful astrologer by merely more of academic studies and degrees from universities & Sansthas “
I think it is an unwanted comment. I never boasted that I know everything. I never thought in that line.

I accept your charge against me and apologize for the mistake, but, at the same time, I would like to humbly point out that your words "Those who all did PhD might know that .........mere words of father,grand father,blessings of Ambal, intuition obtained out of God's special blessings etc. are all acceptable evidences in research methodologies...... i.e. they would not be accepted as primary source / secondary source to substantiate the hypothesis of the research scholar." were also equally at fault in drawing out such a response from my side. Hope this is clear, since my post ahd absolutely no "iha para sambandham" with any doctoral thesis on astrology.
Regarding your comments that ‘I am sure you will see the road sign at the end of the road, if you are not lucky enough to view it earlier in your life “
Again this is also unwarranted and seems to be the expression of ‘I only know all” attitude.
My words were not with any intention to show as if I only know everything but merely to bring to your kind attention that "astounding" predictions are possible for some astrologers who have hardly any text book scholarship. If it has offended you, once again, I am deeply sorry.

We are not playing the game “temple run” in mobile to get toppled unexpectedly by seeing the signal at the end. My steps are always measured well planed. I am always on slow speed; even if I see the signal at the end of the road I will manage well. I never used to have a situation allowing rush of blood in to my head.
I never tried / have intention to offend any body in this forum.
My writing had nothing whatsoever to do with such a video game; all I wanted to convey was my own experience in life that as your age increases and there is not much time left, life seems to teach a lot of very valuable lessons. Again, please don't take this as another instance of "I only know all" attitude; may be it applies only to me and others are luckier!

Regarding your post #32 above, the original famous astrolger family is the "pAzhUr" paDippura or gate of the pAzhUr illam, which is situated 33 km towards the southeast of Kochi, near Piravom. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pazhoor_Padipura) To the best of my knowledge it has come down to a routine astrology consultation centre though some people still say the people there have extraordinary abilities. The pADUR panikkar is a similar sounding name somewhere near Palakkad. I have no details about this. Just for information only, Sir; not to show-off my knowledge or anything.

hi

just info.....my jatakam was written by PAADU PANICKER IN MALAYALAM BY HAND....still..i remember abt astrology my younger days

with padur panicker...

Thanks very much for all the info. I am nowhere near you either in academic knowledge of astrology nor in predictive ability. As regards the latter, my revered astrologer had told me a long time ago that it might be difficult for me to gain that "god's grace" (not my words but my astrologer's words) but I have the 'buddhi' to read and understand the texts.

[/B]
I accept your charge against me and apologize for the mistake, but, at the same time, I would like to humbly point out that your words "Those who all did PhD might know that .........mere words of father,grand father,blessings of Ambal, intuition obtained out of God's special blessings etc. are all acceptable evidences in research methodologies...... i.e. they would not be accepted as primary source / secondary source to substantiate the hypothesis of the research scholar." were also equally at fault in drawing out such a response from my side. Hope this is clear, since my post ahd absolutely no "iha para sambandham" with any doctoral thesis on astrology.

My words were not with any intention to show as if I only know everything but merely to bring to your kind attention that "astounding" predictions are possible for some astrologers who have hardly any text book scholarship. If it has offended you, once again, I am deeply sorry.

My writing had nothing whatsoever to do with such a video game; all I wanted to convey was my own experience in life that as your age increases and there is not much time left, life seems to teach a lot of very valuable lessons. Again, please don't take this as another instance of "I only know all" attitude; may be it applies only to me and others are luckier!

Regarding your post #32 above, the original famous astrolger family is the "pAzhUr" paDippura or gate of the pAzhUr illam, which is situated 33 km towards the southeast of Kochi, near Piravom. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pazhoor_Padipura) To the best of my knowledge it has come down to a routine astrology consultation centre though some people still say the people there have extraordinary abilities. The pADUR panikkar is a similar sounding name somewhere near Palakkad. I have no details about this. Just for information only, Sir; not to show-off my knowledge or anything.

Sangom ji,

While furnishing my reply in verbatim, if at all I offended you I tender unqualified apology from you.

I am not a person to under estimate any one’s knowledge and ability.

I am consciously aware of the fact, in many areas where you excel, my knowledge is next to nothing.

You just made me to come out by disclosing my identity.

I have a great regard for you. I sincerely believe that you could understand that.

Sangom ji,

While furnishing my reply in verbatim, if at all I offended you I tender unqualified apology from you.

I am not a person to under estimate any one’s knowledge and ability.

I am consciously aware of the fact, in many areas where you excel, my knowledge is next to nothing.

You just made me to come out by disclosing my identity.

I have a great regard for you. I sincerely believe that you could understand that.

Shri yesmohan ji,

Don't worry. I understand you. Let us leave this here and go on peacefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back