• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Pinda Daan...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

theblues

Hi all :),

I am in need of your help again. I have by chance read a thread in our forum about "Pindam Daan" so i have some questions to ask :).

1.What is "Pindam Daan"?
2.What does it comprise of?
3.How and when does it happen?
4.And why does the eldest son always have to do it?

I profusely appreciate your help :). Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
theblues

1.What is "Pinda Daan"?
Pindam is an offering.Daan is gifting.Usually crow's are the messenger vahanam to partake the pindam.It's made of cooked rice mixed with cows ghee alongwith black seasame seeds.During tarpanam as last rites for body,for the owner that is the soul,to transmigrate,peacefully,and if the soul takes another body,during their life,they will be comfortable with help of spirit world.The eldest son,is the prime carrier of the descendants of an athma,so customarily,it's been ordained for the eldest and subsequent in hirarchy to do it.As per mahaswamigal's advice,madhya kailash in adyar,chennai,undertake proxy pinda daanam rituals,on a nominal fee,which for generations they continue to do,as a permanent solution,in these modern way of life.

Dear Nachi naga,

Is it an one-off or does it happen annually? Or else, how often does the eldest son have to do that?

Dear Nachi naga,

Is it an one-off or does it happen annually? Or else, how often does the eldest son have to do that?

theblues

in ancient practice,when kings and queens patronised us,it was done every fortnightly as well during navarthri times,wherein the soul of all our ancestors are summed up,in gratitude for the bounty and benevelonce.now in present living conditions,wherein to make a honest living itself a miracle,untill the first anniverasry of the deceased it shuld be done 12 months and then there are some schools who do it 16 months.to me,out of personal experiance,there is not a single day,that i do not think of my dad and mom,which itself is maansiga tarpanam.if you are a traditionalist,then we have to do every 15 days or fortnightly,amavasya when ama the sun ray's are done vasyam moon,there is a strong current of spirit forces which governs our mind or manas.my dad and mom,used to feed people just not brahmanas,as they felt,a hungry being is all is required,as a sense of offerings.eldest is the chief,then only other kids have the right,but other children are also encouraged to participate and do.

miss blues,

under what context is your query?

is your paramour doubtful that a spouse, not brahmin by birth, might not be considered 'pure' enough to cook the rice, mix it with ghee & black sesame seeds, and ball them lemon sized, for the crow to feed?

or was it an esoteric journey into some of the ritual aspects of brahminism?

more later, based on your reply. thanks.

@Kunjuppu: It's just a journey into ritual aspects of brahminism ;)
@Nachi naga: Thanks for your replies. I think i can sort of figure it out in some ways :)

blues,

for me personally, the ritual aspects of brahminic hinduism has no meaning. it is a carry over from a tradition, watered down, irrelevant, and today, most often a source of social status than any religiosity.

in another thread, some one talked about the sacred thread ceremony. yes, perhaps, in the vedic age, at 8 years started the gurukulam stage of the boy - leaving home and living in the house of the teacher, imbibing knowledge and values, and paying back in service.

nowadays, it is for the parents, to show off their wealth, or a ritual urge to perform certain ceremonies, which by nature, the whispering of gayatri, is among the most exclusive and racist gestures known to man ie denying of god's prayers to other than brahmins.

perhaps, a venture, for you, in the realm of our philosophies might be an eye opener. not sure if you are a catholic or buddhist. if you are the latter, you might find that the roots of budhhism is the basic anti brahmin ritualistic hinduism which gautama the buddha shed.

if you are a catholic, then it is a different story altogether. much as tainted as brahminism maybe, and much as the relegation of dalits could be compared to the inquisition, hinduism has never carried on the scale of butchery of a christian europe or an islamic mongol. not much credit, but i think, some, may be due. :)

but in the overall aspect of your quest to hook a TB youth, i agree, that chances are, that he too is a ritual bound traditionalist, and it does not hurt to understand the concepts of upanayanam (sacred thread), pinda dhaan and thevasam.

God Bless.

Dear kunjuppu,

I am actually neither a Hindu nor Catholic nor Buddhist. On my very first beginning path into Brahminism, i indeed have no idea what i should learn about and what not. So, the only choice i can opt is getting to know about everything, just as much as i can so that somehow it makes me not much different from a Brahmin in regard to understanding of the sect.

Your opinion is profusely appriciated as it just reminds me that my friend has once told me that ritual aspects actually has no meaning to him either.
However, as my purpose is making me no different from a Brahmin in terms of knowledge about Brahminism, "it does not hurt to understand the concepts of upanayanam (sacred thread), pinda dhaan and thevasam" like you said :).

Dear Blues...

Actually there is no such thing as Brahmanism...there is only Sanathana Dharma...

Well it all goes back to the Vedas again..Ekam Sat Viprah Bahuda Vadanti..

Truth is One..Wise man call it by many names..

Some call it Hinduism..some call it Christianity,some call it Islam..some call it Buddhism..and last but not least some even call it Brahminism...

Hinduism has lots of rites and rituals which suits ones spiritual evolution...and the best part of it ... there is no compulsion for anything..

Read the thread Avadhuta Gita..it gives the best explanation about the Essence of the Vedas...

Dear kunjuppu,

I am actually neither a Hindu nor Catholic nor Buddhist. On my very first beginning path into Brahminism, i indeed have no idea what i should learn about and what not. So, the only choice i can opt is getting to know about everything, just as much as i can so that somehow it makes me not much different from a Brahmin in regard to understanding of the sect.

Your opinion is profusely appriciated as it just reminds me that my friend has once told me that ritual aspects actually has no meaning to him either.
However, as my purpose is making me no different from a Brahmin in terms of knowledge about Brahminism, "it does not hurt to understand the concepts of upanayanam (sacred thread), pinda dhaan and thevasam" like you said :).

the blues

not knowing where you live,but as a primer and planned entry into hinduism,is done in hawaii,usa,by the kuai adheenam,they even give you a certificate of a hindu,if you conform to the tests and pass out.so,its a scientific process of becoming a hindu.even though present religions are offshoots of sanathna dharma aka hinduism,christanity,islam,buddhism,jainism,sikhism,taoism,........etc in a nutshell the ideas and concepts are from india...alternatively one can look at this philosophically,by undersanding,god transmigrates from time to time,as and when required by the populace,when injustice,terror and other such bad activities prevail,and he/she comes when saints,sages pray for grace.

hope this helps.

Hi all :),

I am in need of your help again. I have by chance read a thread in our forum about "Pindam Daan" so i have some questions to ask :).

1.What is "Pindam Daan"?

I profusely appreciate your help :). Thanks in advance.

Sow. Blues,

Pindam is an obligation; Daan is a gift (essentialy by choice). The phrase 'Pindam daan' is like 'oil water'. They don't mingle.

No; the eldest son does not have to provide 'pindaam'. The eldest son may pass the right to his brother (I did that).

@ Raghy: In which case can the eldest son pass the right to his brother or he can pass the right just whenever he wants? Is it considered an act of irresponsibility by refusing his own right?

@ Nachi Naga: It does help a lot. Thank you so much :)!

@ Raghy: In which case can the eldest son pass the right to his brother or he can pass the right just whenever he wants? Is it considered an act of irresponsibility by refusing his own right?

theblues....

Generally it is considered oneself as lucky to be the eldest son to perform "Pindam Daanam" and any other karmic activities owing to his seniority in a family.

If the eldest son is not in a position to attend to this ceremony due valid reasons, than he can pass on the right to his brother. At the same time he needs to do some relevant ritual at least as a formality and to get the blessings of the departed soul. If he deliberately avoids doing this, than it's believed that, himself and his family members would suffer from "Pithru Saabam"/"The curse of the departed soul".

Sri Raghy ji, your comment on the above would help theblues with better idea..Since, you are directly involved in passing on the right to your brother...

Chi.Ravi said,

Sri Raghy ji, your comment on the above would help theblues with better idea..Since, you are directly involved in passing on the right to your brother...

Sri.Ravi,

As I mentioned in the earlier post, I consider 'pindam' an obligation, not a daanam. I also do not entertain the idea 'pithru curse or blessings'. My case very simple...I got the news about my father's departure rather late in the day...it was the week end, not conducive to get a visa in a hurry...I was told that the one who conducts the 3rd day rituals should conduct the 10th day rituals and the rituals every month....monthly rituals were beyond my capacity (can't find a vathyar here. that's a large enough reason). So, I spoke to our vadhyar over the phone, explained my situations and transferred the responsibility to my brother. He was more than happy to take it up, anyway. Hope this may help.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back