• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Performing abishegam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All
Is there any literature on performing abishegams for the various deities at a temple. I have been reading a few of the blogs, about new and old religion and how Hinduism has changed. Do we have a single book, to guide us with performing prayers? Though we have our scriptures, I have noted that oberservances very from temple to temple and priest to priest. It becomes rather sad when you do not understand the recitals and reasons for certain activities in the prayer. Not knowing if the prayer is conducted properly, you leave your faith in the hands of the priest. I would like to know if there is a "text book" for the layman that wants to learn.
Please forgive me for my ignorance, but I am here to learn so that I can educate others. In South Africa much of our prayer observed at home is performed on what has been handed down the generations. Again are these prayers done the way it is supposed to be? I look forward to your guidance.

Regards
Marvin

hello mr marvin ,it is a huge topic ,but you have simplified its question .abishegams are done with many different types ,time ,articles were each one hold its good deed & elicit its good effects.there are list of things that can / should be done with .to each god ,demigod etc.there are many books available ,that explain in details .you can check it with google & online version .good luck .

Hello Dr. C
I hear what you are saying, but that is exactly the issue that I have. The different types, materials, times etc. This allows for variations, depending on who is conducting the Abishegam. Do we have a standard way of performing Abishegams, is there a book that can give me a simple standard way. I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction. Times have changed from the days when we went to temples and performed rituals without any understanding, in today’s world the younger generations want to understand, and have meaning and reason, ultimately satisfaction.

Regards
Marvin

Shri Marvin,

"abhishekam" is just one item prescribed in the total pooja itinerary of any god (I mean, idol.). In India, this abhishekam has grown, over the centuries and millennia, into elaborate and widely differing rituals in different temples. Each temple will have a sthalapuraaNam and that will give the origin and reason/s for their practices.

It is therefore not possible to prescribe any "standard book" or 'standard practice' for abhishekam.

If you will inform what kiind of idol (murthys) you have in view and what all kinds of substances you desire to perform abhishekam with, perhaps some opinion can be given.

Dear Sangom
The presiding deities in our main Alayam are Lord Ambalavaanar, Lord Murugan with Valli and Devaiyani and Lord Ganesha. In the Amman temple we have mother Draupadi Amman, mother Sathi and mother Eswari.
For the first time I am looking at documenting a standard procedure, I hope that you can help me with this process. I look forward to your positive response.
Thank you
Marvin

Dear Sangom
The presiding deities in our main Alayam are Lord Ambalavaanar, Lord Murugan with Valli and Devaiyani and Lord Ganesha. In the Amman temple we have mother Draupadi Amman, mother Sathi and mother Eswari.
For the first time I am looking at documenting a standard procedure, I hope that you can help me with this process. I look forward to your positive response.
Thank you
Marvin

There is a locally well-known temple, here in Thiruvananthapuram, about a km from my house, which is dedicated to "Mutthumaariyamman" and "MutthambalavaaNar". As you might have guessed, this temple was very useful as long as we had the scourge of small-pox. Now, with small-pox having been eradicated, people donate rice and turmeric to the temple, if there is an incidence of chicken-pox, measles,etc.

The two deities are in lying position. One will be able to see clearly the pox-marks also on the clay idols. These are very beautifully repainted periodically by a community of NBs who are very dedicated. Hence there is no "abhishekam" for these idols at all.

In order to cater to the needs of the devout, a fresh "sannidhi" of siva and sakthi has been made and granite idols have been installed in accordance with the "Tantra vidhis" which govern almost all temples in Kerala. Since "ambalavaaNar" can be considered as equivalent of Siva, I feel abhishekams can be given the utmost importance in the ambalavaanar sannidhi of your main temple.

In any Siva or saivaite murthy temple (murugan, ganapathi, ayyappan, mADan, etc.) the most important is considered to be "Kalasa" abhishekam, i.e., pot/s of water formally installed as "Kalasam", varuNa, the water-god is invited and permeated into the water with mantras and then rudram and camakam are chanted by priests at least 11 times and then abhishekam is done with this Kalasam water to the murthy, to the accompaniment of ringing of bells, music and all other paraphernalia usually used at the time of Arati.

All other abhishekams are required to be completed before this FINAL kalasaabhishekam.

If you will now tell us what other abhishekams you have in mind, we can proceed further.

The same procedure can be applied to the Murugan (with Valli & Deyvayaanai) and Ganapati sannidhis.

As regards the three female deities
Draupadi Amman, mother Sathi and mother Eswari, I will say that apart from milk, sandal water, rosewater, tender coconut water etc., it may be appropriate to have turmeric water (manjaL neer) abhishEkam also. But it depends on local sentiments because some NB castes view that this manjaL neer is only to be used for purifying girls after first menses, and people who take first head bath after attack of small-pox, chicken-pox, etc.

So, kindly consider all these aspects and write in detail.

fyi, in the olden days there was no electric light inside our temple sanctums and it was not possible to light many oil lamps during the abhishekam stage because it might cause burns to the priest/s if they are even slightly off-guard. At the same time there was a felt need to make the unadorned murthy or idol, visible to maximum devotees. The different abhishEkams like vibhooti, milk, oil, sandal paste, turmeric powder with water, panchAmritam, etc., were ingenious ways to achieve this "highlighting" of the murthy. This basic principle also should be kept in mind.

Now most of the TN temples are electrified even inside the sanctum sanctorum and so the original purpose, as stated above, is of only marginal relevance.

Dear Sangom

Your reply is invaluable, please forgive me for my ignorance. Not to sound vague can you please tell me how it is conducted, step by step, the significance of each item, and the mantra’s to chant.
Another important question, can anyone who has fasted properly enter the sanctum, or conduct abishegam’s?
Thank you
Marvin

Dear Sangom

Your reply is invaluable, please forgive me for my ignorance. Not to sound vague can you please tell me how it is conducted, step by step, the significance of each item, and the mantra’s to chant.
Another important question, can anyone who has fasted properly enter the sanctum, or conduct abishegam’s?
Thank you
Marvin

Shri Marvin,

Will you kindly spell out what all substances are now used for the abhishekam in each sannidhi? Do you intend to add/delete any item?

Hello Sangom
Please educate me, can you please explain and instruct me, on how to go about conducting abishegam. I am a complete novice.

Thank you
Marvin

I am reading everything with interest;I did read somewhere that each item used during abhisegam has a different meaning, but I do not remember clearly to quote back. Perhaps someone is more verse in the matter and can throw some light on it.I do hope so.
nalanda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back