• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Patriotism is needed only during a crisis, writes Karan Thapar

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

Thank God for Justice Chandrachud! He’s raised a question millions have been asking for the last three years: “Why do people have to wear their patriotism on their sleeve?” These are words that deserve to be inscribed in letters of gold and prominently placed where everyone can see them – particularly ministers of the government and their RSS colleagues but also, sadly, a few of the Justice’s fellow judges.

Speaking during the hearing of a petition asking the Supreme Court to revoke its November 30 order making the playing of the national anthem before the start of a film compulsory, Justice Chandrachud spelt out his personal position in unequivocal terms. “Why should we assume that if we don’t play the national anthem in movies halls we cease to be patriotic … you don’t have to sing the national anthem to prove your patriotism … patriotism cannot be inculcated among people by the Supreme Court”.

In sharp contrast, the Attorney General believes: “By reasons of vast diversity based on religion, caste and region, it becomes necessary to have a unifying force which can be brought about by playing the national anthem in theatres. So when people come out of the theatre they are all Indians.”

Last November the Supreme Court made a terrible mistake reverting to a practice discarded decades ago. The bench that was responsible for this foolish decision was headed by the man who is Chief Justice today. I applaud Justice Chadrachud for speaking out against his own Chief Justice’s ruling.

He may not have gone so far – but I don’t think Justice Chandrachud would disagree – when I add that patriotism is a sentiment that’s necessary at times of national crisis or natural at moments of euphoria. But if on such occasions it doesn’t come spontaneously you can’t force it. At most other times it can devolve into an ugly manifestation of prejudice and division.

So, underneath Justice Chandrachud’s glorious question I suggest we also inscribe the immortal words of Samuel Johnson: “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.”

http://www.hindustantimes.com/colum...ng-a-crisis/story-VxOwvAaAQEKMKeIcyacy6I.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back