• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Parents, Spouse and Children - Past, Present and Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

sravna

To me every entitty and the relationships between them is symbolic of something deeper and is present therefore for a purpose. Consider the different relationships of a person such as parents, wife and children. A person should have respect for his parents, love for his wife and care towards his children.

A person who respects his parents is bound to have respect towards elders in general. The elders are the passsers on of the wisdom of the past and represent our connection to the past. True love for one's spouse can work allround wonders since a spouse is your complement. It hones all the rough ends and makes you more complete. Finally love for children who are connection to the future implies your concern for the future and you pass on the acquired and learnt wisdom to them.

Thus love for parents, spouse and children is an integral part of the psyche of a person who fulfils his spiritual obligations and objectives.

sravana,

i presume that you are talking from a man's viewpoint.

i don't know if an only daughter will look upon your this post as valid. she has parents, and as an only child needs to take care of them. will her husband, who respects HIS parents, be asked, with our values, to respect her parents the same way?

will he be the complement she needs, when caring for her infirm parents? how many of us can honestly accept that? how many will honestly accept their son to advise him to take care of his inlaws as his primary duty?

i don't know of any. hopefully there are some still left in chennai.

Dear Shri Kunjuppu,

It will happen if the boy has unconditional respect for his parents. He will definitely be respectful to elders and surely to his in-laws. But anyone giving unconditionally is a very very rare breed and I am not sure if there are anyone left in chennai even.

In my opinion unconditional respect, love signals the consummation of mental development and hence its rarity.

Parents, Spouse and Children

Even though we are a much educated community, most of us do not see the parents of the Wife / Husband on the same footing.As a family with only girls many people were reluctant to even marry a girl from our family fearing that their son might be made to bear the burden of the girl's parents.There are certain broad minded families i agree but the majority is disheartening.
bhavana

Even though we are a much educated community, most of us do not see the parents of the Wife / Husband on the same footing.As a family with only girls many people were reluctant to even marry a girl from our family fearing that their son might be made to bear the burden of the girl's parents.There are certain broad minded families i agree but the majority is disheartening.
bhavana
Smt. Bhavana,

What you say might have been true, say, about 10 or 15 years ago. But the recent trend is that old people go to their daughter/s and sons-in-law, if they are unable/unwilling (for whatever reason) to go to an old age home. Even where it is an only son married to an only daughter, it is found that the girl's parents are spending their time with them, while the boy's parents either live separately in their place, or go to an old age home. Of course there are rare cases of both the widowed sambandhi ammals deciding to stay with a couple, but usually it results in a lot of friction all of which is suffered for the sake of appearance as a calm and peaceful household.

But it seems to me that the parents of both the husband and the wife will not fit into the same house for any long stay.

bhavana

Well said

One more point I want to say (may be not directly related to this topic) is about how a girl's father has to wash the feet of the son-in-law during our TamBram marriages - Not sure what category it comes to?Once my NB friend was shocked and asked "should it not be the other way around?"

Well said

One more point I want to say (may be not directly related to this topic) is about how a girl's father has to wash the feet of the son-in-law during our TamBram marriages - Not sure what category it comes to?Once my NB friend was shocked and asked "should it not be the other way around?"
Shri Ganesh,

Our tambram marriage follows (as far as possible) the scriptures. The belief is that the girl is being given as a gift (daanam) to the bridegroom who is considered as the representative of Mahavishnu. The girls parents wash the feet on this notion, and not because of any superiority of the husband (male) over the (wife) female. According to scriptures the donor has to honour the donee in order to get the good results (punyam) of the gift. Giving a girl in marriage (kanyaadaanam) is considered to bestow great merits. In earlier days people with sons only and no daughter, and who were well off, used to completely finance the marraige/s of girls in their immediate family, particularly patrilineal in return for the chance to make kanyaa daanam; for example, brothers' daughters, cousins' daughters etc. As the financial position of brahmins declined and the marriages became ostentatious ceremonies, such gestures practically vanished.

Of course, in future the "other way around" - I presume you mean it in the sense that the boy's parents washing the feet of the girl and giving the boy as "daanam " to her - might become the practice! There will be no harm in visualizing the girl as Mahalakshmi swarupaa in such a case. But usually Mahalakshmi is considered as the goddess of all wealth, and it will be like the visiri (fan) requiring a good breeze for its comfort!!

Shri Ganesh,

Our tambram marriage follows (as far as possible) the scriptures. The belief is that the girl is being given as a gift (daanam) to the bridegroom who is considered as the representative of Mahavishnu. The girls parents wash the feet on this notion, and not because of any superiority of the husband (male) over the (wife) female. According to scriptures the donor has to honour the donee in order to get the good results (punyam) of the gift. Giving a girl in marriage (kanyaadaanam) is considered to bestow great merits. In earlier days people with sons only and no daughter, and who were well off, used to completely finance the marraige/s of girls in their immediate family, particularly patrilineal in return for the chance to make kanyaa daanam; for example, brothers' daughters, cousins' daughters etc. As the financial position of brahmins declined and the marriages became ostentatious ceremonies, such gestures practically vanished.

Of course, in future the "other way around" - I presume you mean it in the sense that the boy's parents washing the feet of the girl and giving the boy as "daanam " to her - might become the practice! There will be no harm in visualizing the girl as Mahalakshmi swarupaa in such a case. But usually Mahalakshmi is considered as the goddess of all wealth, and it will be like the visiri (fan) requiring a good breeze for its comfort!!

Sir,

Thanks for your reply.

For "Other Way Around", I meant the Boy (and the Girl) together doing Paadha pooja to their parents .I understand (through my NB friend) that the NBs follow this .

Personally, I feel the main curse of our TamBram community is to follow some scriptures and leave some - what ever the reasons be (I should also admit and (probably be ashamed?) that inspite of being a Tambram , I am totally ignorant of various scriptures, Vedas, Dharma shastras etc, and unable to devote time on these having been totally bogged down by domestic, family and official work)

Thank you

Revathi ( I am Revathi - a Sthri - Not Ganesh)

I fully agree with the views expressed by M/s.Bhuvana.I have the experience of marrying five of my sisters(ALONG WITH MYPARENTS AND OTHER BROTHERS) and my four daughters(All are married only within the community and all are arranged marriages).
Till today the BOY's side assume superiority and the Girls parents are not treated as equals.THIS IS THE REALITY IN MOST OF TAMIL BRAHMINS COMMUNITY.
I agree there are exceptional cases.

Dear Madam(M/s Revathy).
I also come under your category.Though I am now 77 years I do not know much about
our religion or our vedantic Philosophy.THIS may be the case with most of the members.Some may be fortunate to have grown in that environment and acquired knowledge from their early age.
I was taught in my young age two things.I was not knowing the significance in my childhood.After some years I could understand the meaning.It helped me to have a peaceful life without encountering any major problem.
1. What are "VALUES'
For an individual the value of a value is that value which is more valuable to him/her.
Whenever I had to take any decision dealing with a problem I used to assign values to all sides of the problem and take a decision.For instance I have a serious difference of opinion
with a very close relative or friend(ASSUMPTION ONLY FOR EXPLAINING), I assign value to my relationship and value to the problem. This helped me to take a value judgement which is beneficial to me. I had no difficulty in maintaning the BEST OF RELATIONSHIP WITH WHOMSOEVER I came into close contact.
2.Annaithu uyiraium onru yendru yennu,
Anaivarukkum pasiuii martru,
Manathilulla bedabedam,Vanjanai, Kalavu, Soodu, sinathaiyum thavirpayagil
SEI THAVAM VERU ONRUM ILLAI.
Sorry.I am unable to type in Tamil.The above sloka has shaped my personality and character.

Last edited:
Sir,

Thanks for your reply.

For "Other Way Around", I meant the Boy (and the Girl) together doing Paadha pooja to their parents .I understand (through my NB friend) that the NBs follow this .

Personally, I feel the main curse of our TamBram community is to follow some scriptures and leave some - what ever the reasons be (I should also admit and (probably be ashamed?) that inspite of being a Tambram , I am totally ignorant of various scriptures, Vedas, Dharma shastras etc, and unable to devote time on these having been totally bogged down by domestic, family and official work)

Thank you

Revathi ( I am Revathi - a Sthri - Not Ganesh)
Smt. Revathi, Greetings.

I am sorry I was mislead by the full name ganesh in your handle.

There is nothing to be ashamed of in not knowing our scriptures. Over a period of time majority of tambrams have had to seek their livelihood in new places and new circumstances. Naturally the familiarity goes down and what little we do or follow by way of rituals also gets done by a purohitar.

Tambrams have been a very adjusting lot with a great survival instinct. So, they have been flexible in the matter of adherence to scriptures. NBs also have been following some scriptures at one point of time but they have been more flexible and their customs have changed much more. So, please don't be under the impression that brahmins are doing something wrong or inferior to what NBs are doing. They follow their customs and traditions, we follow ours. Even christians, muslims, any one does have some customs, rituals and traditions. Mankind just cannot live in vacuum. But we should not quarrel over these things. That will make this world a better place.

Dear Madam(M/s Revathy).
I also come under your category.Though I am now 77 years I do not know much about
our religion or our vedantic Philosophy.THIS may be the case with most of the members.Some may be fortunate to have grown in that environment and acquired knowledge from their early age.
I was taught in my young age two things.I was not knowing the significance in my childhood.After some years I could understand the meaning.It helped me to have a peaceful life without encountering any major problem.
1. What are "VALUES'
For an individual the value of a value is that value which is more valuable to him/her.
Whenever I had to take any decision dealing with a problem I used to assign values to all sides of the problem and take a decision.For instance I have a serious difference of opinion
with a very close relative or friend(ASSUMPTION ONLY FOR EXPLAINING), I assign value to my relationship and value to the problem. This helped me to take a value judgement which is beneficial to me. I had no difficulty in maintaning the BEST OF RELATIONSHIP WITH WHOMSOEVER I came into close contact.
2.Annaithu uyiraium onru yendru yennu,
Anaivarukkum pasiuii martru,
Manathilulla bedabedam,Vanjanai, Kalavu, Soodu, sinathaiyum thavirpayagil
SEI THAVAM VERU ONRUM ILLAI.
Sorry.I am unable to type in Tamil.The above sloka has shaped my personality and character.

Thank you Krishnamurthy Sir .

Yes, values as instilled by my parents (as well what I have learnt from my Husband and inlaws) have been guiding me in my life
and though some times I am emotional, I try to think peacefully keeping my elder's advise in my mind.

Yes, not knowing the scriptures/vedas/other ancient knowledge has not affected my day to day life and my basic goals in life -
- to try to be a basically good person not hurting others intentionally
- to try to be a good daughther,daughter in law, wife and mother
(Effectiveness is for others to judge, my duty is just to try)
but some times I am not able to argue for/against certain practices in our Tambram/Hindu community.I find that a handicap !

Thanks
Revathi Ganesh

Smt. Revathi, Greetings.

I am sorry I was mislead by the full name ganesh in your handle.

There is nothing to be ashamed of in not knowing our scriptures. Over a period of time majority of tambrams have had to seek their livelihood in new places and new circumstances. Naturally the familiarity goes down and what little we do or follow by way of rituals also gets done by a purohitar.

Tambrams have been a very adjusting lot with a great survival instinct. So, they have been flexible in the matter of adherence to scriptures. NBs also have been following some scriptures at one point of time but they have been more flexible and their customs have changed much more. So, please don't be under the impression that brahmins are doing something wrong or inferior to what NBs are doing. They follow their customs and traditions, we follow ours. Even christians, muslims, any one does have some customs, rituals and traditions. Mankind just cannot live in vacuum. But we should not quarrel over these things. That will make this world a better place.

Sangom sir,

Regarding my name No problem sir (Ganesh is my husband's name) - My goal was to indicate that this is a middle class tamil brahmin working women's point of view (To look at the post as written/thought by a women than a man).More often than not, I find Brahmin men and women have different views though they may belong to the same clan - The frequent arguments (not fighting) between male and female members of my family regarding various aspects bear a testimony to this!

Regarding Tambrams being adapting to changes, I observe that what customs are lost and what are retained are more towards assuaging Male ego and pride of bearing and rearing a son.

Sir, I speak from the experience of coming from daughters only family and I am aware that there are exceptions too!I just hope the tribe of exceptions should grow!

Thank you
Revathi

...More often than not, I find Brahmin men and women have different views though they may belong to the same clan - The frequent arguments (not fighting) between male and female members of my family regarding various aspects bear a testimony to this!

Regarding Tambrams being adapting to changes, I observe that what customs are lost and what are retained are more towards assuaging Male ego and pride of bearing and rearing a son.
Smt. Revathi,

I am not sure whether you expected a response to your post. Anyway since it is the normal thing in this forum to give comments, I am writing.

I do not know your age. I f you are past 40, perhaps you belong to the previous era of brahmins in which the male supremacy was still there a little bit. The extent of such male-orientation varies from region to region and also from one family to another. But overall, the changes in the world, and particularly the tambram community will have some impact in each family, howsoever small it may be. But things have changed very drastically in recent years. So, if you have a daughter she will most probably lead a very different type of family life with much more freedom, deciding powers, etc.

Our hindu customs, both which have been discarded and those which survive to this day are all completely based on the male supremacy only. Females were important only as an adjunct to her husband. But this was the case with all religions which originated in the past; Man made the rules.

Sir, I speak from the experience of coming from daughters only family and I am aware that there are exceptions too!I just hope the tribe of exceptions should grow!
I have generally found that daughters only families (whether one daughter or many, I know of two families with 8 daughters each - only!) have been more successful after, of course, a long period of struggle. There is variation in the life styles of the sisters; some are very assertive and dominate their in-laws also while some are meek and suffer in many ways due to that. But these are individual traits and nobody can be blamed for it, except perhaps Karma.

I have a close relative who has 5 daughters, all of them now well-off. But the troubles the parents had to undergo in keeping their sambandhis in good humour is enormous. One of the daughters has only sons, no daughter. The father jokingly tells her that she will now know what the mindset of a boy's mother is!!

Sangom Sir,

Thank you for your view- Yes I agree with your observations - In fact I was filled with the memories - in which my parents have not only had to keep Sambandhi's and mappillai happy - but also the ext................ended familes!

Reg my age, Let me put it this way - I have a fourteen year old daughter !

Thanks you for your views again!

Revathi

Well said

During marriage we consider the Groom equivelent to Mahavishnu and our daughter as Mahalakshmi.Kanyam kanaka sampannam.So we worship groom in the form of Mahavishnu.When you try to respect your custom no NB friend can comment.Be a brahmin if you have full faith or you mingle with others leaving our habits.

In these days of girls only families being the norm (2 children or 1 child – girls), my experience, is that tambram parents treat their daughters like de facto sons. Which is long overdue, but even for the wrong reason the right thing is being done.

I have attended a spate of neice’s marriages in Chennai recently. It must be the effect of the imbalance of numbers. I found the girls’ families (to which I belonged) treated the boys’ side with civility, but none of the overwhelming ubasaarams of old.

all these were iyer marriages both sides, but neither the boys appeared to expect the overwhelming hospitality (they would not have got it anyway) and neither were the girls' side extra eager to dish it out. when lunch or dinner was announced, it was everyone to the pandhi without pandering to the groom's side especially those troublesome uncles or aunts :)

50 years ago, my aunt’s marriage was almost stopped midway because the bridegroom’s maternal uncle felt insulted that there muslims & Christians in the first pandhi (grandfather was a lawyer and accommodated his clients in the first pandhi). Today if such things happen, I can imagine it being laughed off and those relatives ignored.

Still the onus of the wedding falls on the girl’ families. Do they not start collecting jewellery, pathrams etc right from a young age? The actual purchases for the function, is it not just saris?

I have attended weddings where the parents shared 50/50 of the wedding expenses. But the cost of the jewellery and household articles were borne by the girls’ side alone. So I think we still have ways to go.

Also, I think it is much better to have elderly parents, if they are unable to tend to themselves, live with their daughters. The mother daughter bond is the strongest bond in the world. So it is said. The arrangements are much smoother for day to day live than between a dil/mil.

The dil/mil is a naturally set up relationship for antagonism, and I still do not understand why the boys’ parents go after this, when it is their daughters that they should be focussing.

Personally I have found where the girls’ parents live with their daughter, things go smoother than with that of boys’ parents. In the latter case, the girl always has to compromise. It is never the in laws, whose needs increase as they grow older.

Just fyi: atleast tambram folks in Canada, are now accepting the concept of evenly dividing all wedding expenses. One of our friends married a rajput girl, who are not all that well off. the expenses was divided 3 ways – bridegroom, groom’s parents, bride’s parents. To me this is more an acknowledgement of equality, that quoting all the scriptures and Vedas and explaining the original purpose mahalakshmi or mahavishnu.

I will wash not only the groom’s feet, but give him a full oil bath if needed, if only he or his parents would pay their fair share of all wedding related expenses including jewellery. Any takers here?

there are so many boys having difficulties in finding spouses. all of them claim 'no expectations' whatever that means! why don't they go two steps further and offer to foot the entire wedding bill. i have no sympathy those that wish to have the cake and eat it too.

Last edited:
.... I was taught in my young age two things.I was not knowing the significance in my childhood.After some years I could understand the meaning.It helped me to have a peaceful life without encountering any major problem.
Dear sir, I would like to salute you for the lessons you took from your elders, and sharing those lessons with us. I hope the youngsters of our times listen to your wisdom, not to mention yours faithfully. To see that an elder person from India also shares the values some of us living in the west have been presenting is gratifying. Another elderly person who has expressed very progressive ideas is Shri Sangom, and I bow in front of his wisdom as well.

Thank you ....

..... In fact I was filled with the memories - in which my parents have not only had to keep Sambandhi's and mappillai happy - but also the ext................ended familes!
Dear Smt. Revathi, Greetings!

I am a man, much older than you, but I am very aware of how my wife and her parents were treated by my immediate and extended family. I only see true love when I see how spong-like the girl's parents are in absorbing humiliation. If things are different today -- I wouldn't know because I am not, and nor will I ever be, a maappillai's father in TN -- that is a good thing IMO.

Hope to see lot more of your postings....

Folks,

There are very great wisdom based opinions expressed here, as expressed by Professor Nara Ji and I agree with him.

I have lived in the west for a very long time, but as any other living outside India, I have been keeping tabs on my community through my family and friends both here in the US as well as in India. I tend to agree with the picture painted by Sri Kunjuppu Ji on this topic.

I have noticed certain violations of our 'dharmic' rules based on false assumptions in general that contribute to the current state of "Thirisanghu Swargam' of our Tamil Brahmin community (I have not studied any other Brahmin communities in detail0, when it comes to the success of a family with a happily married husband and wife with children and the parents and the in-laws living.

Now let us take the husband and wife. Nowadays, with the 'joint' family concept gone, we need to deal with new reality. What is 'family'? Western world have defined as the 'nuclear family', the husband, wife, children form the 'first' 'family'. Then comes the extended family of parents and siblings of the parents.

What does this mean? It means, as it has always meant in our religious structure, if you are a man, your wife is 'half' of you, then you have 'dharmic' obligations to your parents and children. Okay, then between your children and parents, who comes first? In other words, if you are in a burning ship, who do you save first, your children or your parents? Every 'dharmic' rule I know states that it is your children you save first.

So, from a 'dharma' pov, it is clear. You and your wife are one combined entity, the interests of your children come next and if the above two interests do not come in between you and your parents (or in-laws - because your wife is half of you), then it is your third obligation.

Our religion is so dignified and civilized, it takes for granted the first two obligations of a man as given. because it assumes that the a Parent would observe the same 'dharmic' principles. The parent's job is to make sure that his/her offspring to be 'successful' within the context of of our current lives.

But this is the problem today. Some parents are not fulfilling their 'dharma' today, by interfering with the 'dharma' of their children. so the issues of a modern wife not agreeing with her Pils, or the Dils not agreeing with her in-laws (if she rules the roost) come about.

This is the source of the issue. As I see it, if the parents from both sides understand their roles and understand that it is to make sure that the happiness of their off springs is the main goal, then there will be no problem.

So is the viewpoint from both the husband and wife. Please think through which of your elders have the best interest of your family's success or their own security in mind.

Regards,
KRS

Dear Shir KRS, Greetings!

I appreciate your comments. I would like to humbly present to our brothers and sisters living in TN, India, we are not against you, we only want to support you in adjusting with the inevitable changes that are happening all around us. What is happening in the west today is increasingly much closer chronologically to what are on their way to India.

Being more inclined to education, Brahimins tend to get exposed to progressive ideas much earlier than others, and as a consequence, brahmin youngsters are increasingly at the vanguard of change. Unless we the older folks find a way to cope with this change in a rational way, we not only are bound to suffer unnecessary grief, but are likely to inflict unnecessary grief on our younger generation as well. Let us find a way to enhance love and traditions worth extolling, not the traditions that are best left behind.

Cheers!

When you try to respect your custom no NB friend can comment.Be a brahmin if you have full faith or you mingle with others leaving our habits.

Sorry Sir I beg to differ - This is kind of extreme opininon! To choose my friends has nothing to do with being a Brahmin.Then practically I cannot live in the current society(I am in Bangalore) and I will be further alienated.

Every Body has a right to comment on others (Brahmins on NBs and Vice versa).Please understand that the NB girl has every right to tell what she feels (of course in a very civilized manner - not like DK or MK) and It is my duty to explain why we practice what we practice. The error may be on my part or on my older generations part (including vadhyars) - Not to explain the signifcance of the rituals of our community

Thank you
Revathi

Dear Smt. Revathi, Greetings!

I am a man, much older than you, but I am very aware of how my wife and her parents were treated by my immediate and extended family. I only see true love when I see how spong-like the girl's parents are in absorbing humiliation. If things are different today -- I wouldn't know because I am not, and nor will I ever be, a maappillai's father in TN -- that is a good thing IMO.

Hope to see lot more of your postings....

Thank You Prof Nara and May I add, being a new bie, I ardently follow your and other learned , Senior Members' posts !.

In these days of girls only families being the norm (2 children or 1 child – girls), my experience, is that tambram parents treat their daughters like de facto sons. Which is long overdue, but even for the wrong reason the right thing is being done.

I have attended a spate of neice’s marriages in Chennai recently. It must be the effect of the imbalance of numbers. I found the girls’ families (to which I belonged) treated the boys’ side with civility, but none of the overwhelming ubasaarams of old.

all these were iyer marriages both sides, but neither the boys appeared to expect the overwhelming hospitality (they would not have got it anyway) and neither were the girls' side extra eager to dish it out. when lunch or dinner was announced, it was everyone to the pandhi without pandering to the groom's side especially those troublesome uncles or aunts :)

I am in Karnataka (Bangalore ) for the past 17 years.15 years back, I attended the marriage of my colleague who is also my friend.They are basically Mysore Smarthas with Andhra Link.Average middle class family and the boy is a Telugu Brahmin born and brought up in Hosur.(He is a post graduate from IIT and was very well placed in Top IT company)

In Bangalore, we have this unique habit of not serving until the whole dining hall is filled.When the Boys Parents came to have breakfast , still some 2 rows were not filled and they patiently waited! The whole breakfast was only idly and vadai with Chutney and Sambar .Vadai got over midway and half of us (including Groon's side) could not taste vadai.But not even a single murmur on this, they had whatever was served and went back to the marriage ceremony.This was truly a marraige of 2 families - where one accomodates the short comings on the other.

I just compared that with mine and my sister's marriage - which was tension filled.- I dont want to narrate individual incidents - but enough for my blood to boil at that thought.So I dont think about those.

(For them No Mahalakshmi, MahaVishnu Concept - No washing feet - They are also Smarthas(Iyers) )

Just wanted to share my two cents - Knowing this forum for the past one month , I except some brick bats and unwanted assumptions , self-interpretation and attributing motivations even to tell my reallife experience!

Thank You
revathi

I am in Karnataka (Bangalore ) for the past 17 years.15 years back, I attended the marriage of my colleague who is also my friend.They are basically Mysore Smarthas with Andhra Link.Average middle class family and the boy is a Telugu Brahmin born and brought up in Hosur.(He is a post graduate from IIT and was very well placed in Top IT company)

In Bangalore, we have this unique habit of not serving until the whole dining hall is filled.When the Boys Parents came to have breakfast , still some 2 rows were not filled and they patiently waited! The whole breakfast was only idly and vadai with Chutney and Sambar .Vadai got over midway and half of us (including Groon's side) could not taste vadai.But not even a single murmur on this, they had whatever was served and went back to the marriage ceremony.This was truly a marraige of 2 families - where one accomodates the short comings on the other.

I just compared that with mine and my sister's marriage - which was tension filled.- I dont want to narrate individual incidents - but enough for my blood to boil at that thought.So I dont think about those.

(For them No Mahalakshmi, MahaVishnu Concept - No washing feet - They are also Smarthas(Iyers) )

Just wanted to share my two cents - Knowing this forum for the past one month , I except some brick bats and unwanted assumptions , self-interpretation and attributing motivations even to tell my reallife experience!

Thank You
revathi
Smt. Revathi,

In my view the "washing of the feet" does not indicate that the girl's father (or her family, for that matter) are inferior in some way. It has been the tradition. When Krishna saw Sudaama, in tattered clothes and a mere skeleton, coming towards his palace, he ordered his servants to receive a brahmana; the reception included Krishna washing the feet of Kucela and Rukmini pouring the water. Krishna and Rukmini are stated to have sprinkled the teertham on their heads also. Similarly, Mahabali washed the feet of Vamana before giving the daanam which resulted in his own eclipse to paataala. Thus, washing the feet of honoured guests has been a hindu custom. If hoysala or some other brahmins have done away with it, it is not to be criticised as sacrilege; nor is our custom to be derided. Of course, in today's rapidly changing cultural scenario, even we can tell the vaadhyaar that we won't do this part of the ceremony and I think no vaadhyaar will object. So, anything and everything in our tradition and customs can be discarded. It is, at the end, one's own personal likings.

Let me illustrate by one point which may be interesting. Our vedic, scriptural marriage and the grihyasutras do not envisage "thaali". Even the oft-heard mantram. "maangalyam tantunaa anea..." is a comparatively recent composition by some south indian brahmin few hundred years ago. Paanigrahanam finalised the marriage, according to the dharmasastras. Later, the saptapadi became the final concluding evidence, due to various court decisions, etc.

The origin of "taali" is stated to be from Adi Dravida culture. North Indians do not have this. The Tamilian low castes used to write something to the effect "this xyz is my wife-pqr" on a piece of palm leaf, fold it in a particular way and then tie it with a string to the neck of their wife (wives?) This probably prevented another male from approaching her unless he was more powerful and could defeat (kill) the first man perhaps, we don't know but can only conjecture. Other Tamilian groups must have copied it in course of time. taalee patram in sanskrit means palm-leaf, and when the sanskritic people came here they found it necessary and desirable to adopt this practice for the safety of their womenfolk. Now this "taali" has become soooo important a thing that it is much more valuable than even the husband perhaps!

Taali, thus demotes the wife to the class of cattle. Nowadays when banks give loan for purchase of cattle, it is a stipulation to tag the cattle. A metal tag saying "Hypothecated to ...Bank" is punched into the ear of the cattle so purchased. The original "taali" also served more or less a similar purpose. But how many of our women will be ready to discard this tradition? So, let us not try to nit-pick by comparing the customs of different groups. As I said earlier, tambram society today is so weak that it won't object to any change/s in our customs or rituals. Let us be happy about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back