• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Panini's Grammer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I had attended a lecture about Science and Technology in Ancient India. Actually the lecture was more about ancient Indian mathematics than Science and technology.

We were told that only now with all the computational aids they have really started to understand and appreciate the writings of Panini about Sanskrit language.

The first Symposium on Sanskrit Computational Linguistics was held in Paris from October 29-31, 2007.

The following papers were presented.

1) Exocentric Compounds in Classical Sanskrit/ – by Brendan Gillon, Mc Gill University, Montreal.

2) From Paninian Sandhi to Finite State Calculus/ – by Malcolm D Hyman, Max Planck Institute for the History of Science, Berlin.

3) Analysis of Sanskrit text: Parsing and Semantic Relations/ – by Pawan Goyal, Vipla Arora and Laxmidhar Behera, Electical Engineering, IIT Kanpur.

4) Sanskrit Tagger, a Stochastic Lexical and POS tagger for Sanskrit/ – by Oliver Hellwig, Department for Languages and Cultures of Southern Asia, Freie Universität, Berlin.

5) Inflectional Morphology Analyzer for Sanskrit/ – by Girish Nath Jha, Muktanand Agrawal, Subhash, Sudhir K Mishra, Diwakar Mani, Diwakar Mishra, Manji Bhadra and Surjit K Singh, Special Centre for Sanskrit Studies, JNU, New Delhi.

6) Phonological Overgeneration in the Paninian System/ – by Malhar Kulkarni, Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Mumbai.

7) Modelling Paninean Grammar/ – Peter M Scharf, Brown University

8) Simulating the Paninian System of Sanskrit Grammar/ – by Anand Mishra, Ruprecht Karls University, Heidelberg.

9) An Effort to Develop a Tagged Lexical Resource for Sanskrit/ – by Srinivasa Varakhedi, V Jaddipal and V Sheeba, Rashtriya Sanskrit Vedyapeetha Deemed University, Tirupati.

10) Critical Edition of Sanskrit Texts/ – by Marc Csernel, Project AXIS, INRIA Paris-Rocquencourt and Francois Patte, UFR de Mathematiques et Informatique, Universite Paris Descartes.

Anyone who is interested may get in touch with me. There are Videos available.

Last edited:
Could you post/publish it here

I guess if the language materials are posted here people who need it can utilize. May be we can share the useful links of good resources we used and enjoyed. I am looking for good spoken Kannada and spoken Hindi links ( I want to understand Hindi film dialogues too). Neer petra inbam peruha ivvaiyaham.

Thanks,
Fire

Sanscrit-Context free language??

Is it right Sanscrit a context free language? Does it not have words,or sentences that changes according to the context? Do we have any other natural languages like that?Could anyone throw some light on it?

Thanks,
Fire

Fire:

Sanskrit is indeed full of context tolerant constructs. This is because of specific forms of words which give the language the flexibility of providing the same meaning regardless of the positions of individual words in a sentence.

The sentence:

"Rama is the husband of Sita."

is written in Sanskrit as "RamaH SitaayaaH PatiH |"

This sentence can be written with the words of the sentence in any position:

"patiH SitaayaH RamaH" (The husband of Sita is Rama)

"SitaayaH PatiH RamaH" (Sita's Husband is Rama)

The above two are acceptable legitimate forms of the same sentence.

However, if we were to literally change the positions of words in the English sentence, such as the following results:

"Rama husband of Sita is the" doesn't make much sense, or is at least not considered correct grammar.

This is what makes Sanskrit very well suited to writing poetry and Shlokas, since each word, when in different positions, will not give any wrong meaning. Of course, the ease of composing poetry in sanskrit comes only with a sound knowledge of many of the grammatical aspects of the language.

Sanskrit is truly a fascinating language and one of India's great contributions to world languages.

On sanskrit

Just to add, Tamil and most of the indian languages are syntax free.

malgova.mango

I am looking for good online resources to learn Sanskrit. Any help ?

It is one of my regrets in life that, as a student, i didnt realize the richness of Sanskrit. Studying in CBSE stream, i squandered the opportunity to learn the language properly.

I remember that flippancy used to be the order of the day in our Sanskrit classes. I regret it.

Last edited:
Is it right Sanscrit a context free language? Does it not have words,or sentences that changes according to the context? Do we have any other natural languages like that?Could anyone throw some light on it?

Thanks,
Fire

In Sanskrit, the words encode syntactic information in them and this to a degree makes the language context free. 'kim no rajyena govinda' can be read as 'govinda rajyena kim nah' without any difference in meaning.

You still cannot go about randomly changing word order. For example, changing 'karmanyevadhikaraste ma phaleshu kadachana' to
'phaleshu eva adhikarah te ma karmani kadachana' completely destroys the meaning.

Dear Sri Kaivalyam!

Sir, Could you give the cases for the word "mounam" . OR "gnanam" in all the genders and numbers or could you just give for the word "mounau" as in the salutary verses of Dakshina moorthy sthothram - "mounau vakya prakatitha para..."

Very much thanks for your explanation.

Just my try, please help me solving it...

Karmanyeva = Karmani + eva - is it?
adhikaraste = adhikara: + te - Te here I suppose means "you"

A translation in tamil

Karmani- seyalil
eva - mattum
Adhikara: - adhikaram
te or aste - ? - te - unnakku -or aste - ullathu
ma- ellai
Phalesu - villaivil - effect
kadachana - ?

Please help.

regards
malgova.mango

Dear Sri Kaivalyam!

Sir, Could you give the cases for the word "mounam" . OR "gnanam" in all the genders and numbers or could you just give for the word "mounau" as in the salutary verses of Dakshina moorthy sthothram - "mounau vakya prakatitha para..."

Shri Malgova.mango ji, are you sure you have it right? I don't know of such a form. My not knowing doesn't amount to much, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Karmanyeva = Karmani + eva - is it?
Yes. 'karmani' is in saptami and the sandhi is yana sandhi. The rule for it is 'iko yanachi'. Here 'ikah' is the shashti form of 'ik' and 'achi' is the saptami form of 'ach'. 'ik' and 'ach' are terms derived by Panini from the Parameshvara sutra. The rule translates, "Of the 'ik', in 'ach', 'yan'"., i.e., 'iks' get transformed to the corresponding 'yan' when followed by 'ach'. In this example, the trailing 'i'(one of the 'ik') in Karmani when followed by 'e' (one of the ach) in eva gets transformed to 'y'(the corresponding 'yan'), giving 'karmanyeva'.

adhikaraste = adhikara: + te - Te here I suppose means "you"
'te' is a heavily overloaded term in Sanskrit. In this context, it is used in the sense of 'tava' (your).

A translation in tamil

Karmani- seyalil
eva - mattum
Adhikara: - adhikaram
te or aste - ? - te - unnakku -or aste - ullathu
ma- ellai
Phalesu - villaivil - effect
kadachana - ?
'kadachana' - any time.

Therefore,

'karmani' - in action
'eva' - alone
'adhikarah' - right
'te' - your
'ma' - not
'phaleshu' - in fruits
'kadachana' - ever.

'ma' - do not
'karmaphalahetuh' - the cause of the results of work
'bhuh' - be. This is a form that is used mostly with negation.
'ma' - not
'te' - your
'sanghah' - association
'astu' - let be
'akarmani' - lack of action

In action alone is your right, never in its fruits. Never be the desirer of the results of work and let not your association be lack of action.

Regards,
Kaivalyam

Dear Sri Kaivalyam!

Many Thanks for your clarification.

OK for "Mounathai" as in Tamil, how to translate in Sanskrit ?

Another query,

"Never be the desirer of the results" from where it came? Could you explain the second sloka also.

Regards
malgova.mango

Dear Sir,

My knowledge of Sanskrit is quite rudimentary, so please take everything I say with skepticism and have it cross-verified.

Dear Sri Kaivalyam!

Many Thanks for your clarification.

OK for "Mounathai" as in Tamil, how to translate in Sanskrit ?

'mounam' as in
sah mounam dadhara.
sah mounam dharayamasa.
mounam adhari: this one is of passive construction and therefore literally means, mounam was taken up.

Another query,

"Never be the desirer of the results" from where it came?
From 'karmaphalahetu'. yasya hetuh karmaphalam asti sah karmaphalahetuh(one whose motive or cause is karmaphalam, he is a 'karmaphalahetu'). So Krishna says, 'karmaphalahetuh ma bhuh', i.e., do not be a karmaphalahetuh. This word is similar to 'matrdevah' in derivation: yasya mata tasya devah sah matrdevah(one whose mother is his God, he is a matrdeva). Therefore, 'matrdevo bhava' literally means, "one whose mother is his God, be." It is commonly translated as, 'look upon your mother as God.' You have to allow for certain leeway in translation because the aim is to preserve semantic information rather than syntactic presentation.

Could you explain the second sloka also.

Regards
malgova.mango
kim - what
nah - for us
rajyena - with the kingdom
govinda - Govinda

Govinda, what use is the kingdom for us?

Regards,
Kaivalyam

Dear Sri Kaivalyam!

Many thanks for your explanation.

Swami Dayananda Sarawati's commentry on this sloka, will throw a very good light. You can try visit the site www.avgsatsang.org .

Thanks

Regards

malgova.mango

Learn Sanskrit

IIT Madras has an online tutorial for people wishing to learn sanskrit.

The address is given below. It teaches sanskrit from the alphabet stage to upto intermediate stage.

acharya.iitm.ac.in/sanskrit/tutor.html

Regards

Vanaja Mani
Sydney

I have found the IITM Acharya set of tutorials to be excellent. I have been learning the language again recently.

IIT Madras has an online tutorial for people wishing to learn sanskrit.

The address is given below. It teaches sanskrit from the alphabet stage to upto intermediate stage.

acharya.iitm.ac.in/sanskrit/tutor.html

Regards

Vanaja Mani
Sydney

bhaja govindam bhaja govindam
bhaja govindam müãhamate,
samprápte sannihite kále
na hi na hi rakúati dukøòkaraïe.(1)

Adore the Lord, adore the Lord, adore the Lord, O fool! when the appointed time (for departure) comes, the repetition of grammatical rules will not, indeed, save you.

http://www.kamakoti.org/shlokas/kshlok19.htm

sb

Dear Sir,
Namasthe, I am a student learning Sanskrit. Initially i hv attended Thasa Dhina Shibhiram (conducted by Samskrutha Bharathi) twice, started learning the letters of Sanskrit. Now, i can speak a little of the ancient Language Sanskrit. On reading ur mess, i am interested to develop the knowledge. Kindly advice me.
Pranaams,
s.chandrasekaran

Two observations please. One, the correct spelling is "Grammar", not 'Grammer'. Second, the Dakshinamurthy Stotram starts as, "mouna vyaakhyaa prakaTita parabrahma tatvam yuvanam...(मौनव्याख्या प्रकटित परब्रह्मतत्वम् युवानम्)".

In my view, trying to learn Sanskrit with/thorugh Tamil which does not have most of the consonants used in the former language, will give rise to many difficulties.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back