• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oru Vadakkan Veeragatha - A Malayalam Classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respectable members,

Greetings. Here I am, with yet one more Malayalam Classic.

Chekavars were warriors lived in the ancient times of South India. A quote about Chekavars..."The Chekava/Chekavar/Chekavan/Chevakan/Chon :-The deadly gladiators in the ancient times of South India (now this part can be called as "Kerala") are believed to be the founding fathers and the excellent developers of the martial art of "Kalarippayattu"- as they lived with their Sword, as a part of "Karma"-Their traditional holy labour of implementing "Dharma" by giving their blood and sacrifycing themselves in the "Ankam" to decide the final Justice for a Region. Do you believe..- Once the blood of an "Ezhavar / Thiyyar" could decide "the ultimate justice" of a region, their blood could avoid big battles amoung the regions, their blood could impart the fragrance of peace amoung the regions.These people are [1][2] belonging to the Ezhava (Thiyya) caste and related to "Hindu" religion. "Vadakkan Pattukal"(the Ballads in the language of "Malayalam" which were originated in the medieval history of South India.., describes the Saga of "Chekava -heroes" who formed militia of local cheftians and kings. These songs exemplify and bestow up on the heights and sacrifices also of all other "expert -Ezhava Chekavars" who were excellent in Kalari Payattu.[3]. As the saying goes, An Ezhavan(Thiyyan) becomes a "Chekavan" only after the fight of an "ankam" and then onwards that Chekavar's food is believed to be on the tip of the sword. [4]Ankam’ is a duel, to the death, fought between two "Ankachekavar" to resolve the quarrels between local rulers . The ruler represented by the surviving Ankachekavar was considered the winner. For centuries ...in Kerala, south India, quarrels between local rulers were resolved by fixing an "Ankam" by this deadly gladiators.All the legendary martial artists in the history of South India –like...Thacholi Othenan, Unniyarcha, Aromal Chekavar, Chandu, Aromalunni, Kannappanunni- were from this warrior community"

Chekavar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a movie about Aromal Chekavar, Chandu and Aromalunni. "According to the legend, Aromal Chekavar, a well-known warrior, lost his life after a duel in which his sword broke off at the hilt during the fight. The metal rivets holding the blade to the hilt had been replaced with wooden ones by his trusted ally and cousin, Chandu. Chandu is said to have betrayed his cousin because he was jealous of Aaromal's popularity and abilities."

Oru Vadakkan Veeragatha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That legend was sung as 'Vadakkan Paattukal'.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/6642672/53df19b6/veera_gaatha_-_vadakkan_paattukal.html

Even Aromal wrote it down that he was betrayed by Chandu...(title song).

But did Chandu betray Aromal? M.T.Vasudevan Nair presents Chandu's side of the story.

But why it is posted here? The movie is well directed. The actors lived their roles. The director almost takes us to ancient South India; The language is Malayalam...with less Tamizh mixture than usual. As usual, the dialogue is piercing, traditions are very nicely exhibited.

The movie - YouTube - Oru Vadakkan Veeragatha (Part 1)

(Kindly find parts 2 to 16 from the list on the right side, please).

Cheers!

Last edited:
Even Aromal wrote it down that he was betrayed by Chandu...(title song).

Raghy,

On this point I have some doubt. I do not remember the title song of V V Gatha but, so far as my knowledge goes Aromal did not write down anything. M.T. Vasudean Nair, a gifted writer, has looked at this traditional story from a new angle and tried to exonerate Chandu from the blame which has stuck to him.

MTV has written another novel "raNDAm oozham (the second round, second mission )" in which he depicts Bhima in a new light - as a person who was exploited by Arjuna and Dharmaputra.

Long ago there was a Tamil book "Kumbha Karnan" in which he gave the proper advice to Ravana but stood by him whereas, Vibheeshana, like the proverbial rat, left Ravana and joined Rama, a traitor in impartial terms.

Last edited:
Sri.Sangom,

Greetings. In the movie, The kids read the old palm leaf writing at the 'Poothooram Veedu'. The song was clear 'Chandhu sadhitchu' was mentioned very clearly. That palm leaf was allegedly written by Aromal.

About Bhima, I had the same feeling too. Given an option, Bhima would have settled down, very far away...But that is a different subject by itself. It can be quite a discussion, in my opinion. As of Ramayana, as of today, I consider Vibishana as a rat; no less. He had no business to become a traitor. Actually Ravana was a gentleman to let him go, when he knew very well he was gong to join Rama.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back