• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

oh canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

canadians, unlike their american cousins, are invaribly shy and do not tend to brag.

one of fellow tambrams living here, tired of all the yankee bragging, thought it good, to put down a list of why canada is better than the usa to live. (particularly toronto)

here is the list..and i will agree with it 100%

1. Health insurance program and government subsidized medicine (paid for with tax dollars)
2. Totally free schooling (and pretty good too) up to high school and heavily subsidized after that with tax dollars.
3. A full view of Niagara Falls (but tends to piss you off after you have to accompany visitor # 2462 to see the falls). But then Canadians are patient people.
4. Thousand islands.
5. Cottage country up in northern Ontario. Be careful of the bears.
6. People who say hi even in minus 35 degrees celsius weather.
7. Fewer guns around.
8, St. John's Newfoundland and Fish and Chips there. Don't miss the icebergs and whales - go in January.
9. Alberta weather (I visited mid January :) )
10. Lotsa dosa joints (and their numbers keep growing every day)
11. Microbreweries and their wonderful beer. Burp.
12. Great looking wine and liquor stores (unlike the seedy ones in the US). And they are pretty well stocked. Believe you can get Kingfisher beer and Old Monk rum. Personally don't go for Kingfisher because of 11 above. And I hate rum.
13. The local supermarkets are full of "desi ghee" and "dahi". Yes these are the official labels. And their stock of Indian stuff is increasing every day.
14. You can buy murungakkai and senaikazhangu almost as fresh as in Chennai from the friendly neighborhood Srilankan store. And of course karivepillai. But you should be ready for a great big whiff of karvadu. (Dried fish for the uninitiated)
15. Can't swim. Otherwise I would add Lake Ontario as a natural delight.
16. Lovely natural walking paths virtually next door to your home (I am talking about the walkway along the Credit River)
17. Road cleanup after a blizzard. I don't think I have ever missed a day's work due to a snowstorm, though I have been late. But we lost days of work when some Yankee tripped up the power grid somewhere in Idaho or Iowa. (And they initially blamed the Canadians)

And there are glorious days of summer when the garden blooms with flowers that I knew about only in books but which I actually grow. Sadly the season is too short. And sometimes, things don't quite turn out right - the tomato plant that cost you $4.99 and yielded exactly two tomatoes

the petrified forests or Vancouver Island or Prince Edward Island or the fact that Victoria Day is actually a holiday :)

jai canada!

canadians, unlike their american cousins, are invaribly shy and do not tend to brag.

one of fellow tambrams living here, tired of all the yankee bragging, thought it good, to put down a list of why canada is better than the usa to live. (particularly toronto)

here is the list..and i will agree with it 100%

1. Health insurance program and government subsidized medicine (paid for with tax dollars)

but is taken from high taxation,almost 40% of income .whereas usa has awesome private insurance schemes for every wallet and a non-wallet with zilch money.
2. Totally free schooling (and pretty good too) up to high school and heavily subsidized after that with tax dollars.
its state/city run with federal funds.if you are good scholarships are available after high school.

3. A full view of Niagara Falls (but tends to piss you off after you have to accompany visitor # 2462 to see the falls). But then Canadians are patient people.

patience is a virtue,which exists in all nationalities.Niagara and Viagara ae both famous here with their usage
4. Thousand islands.

more than thousand if illinois,michigan,minnessota are clubbed
5. Cottage country up in northern Ontario. Be careful of the bears.
upper peninsula does have them too.
6. People who say hi even in minus 35 degrees celsius weather.
how are you doing today is the usual greetings,for a stranger its hi
7. Fewer guns around.
we love our guns and buns constitutional right to bear arms
8, St. John's Newfoundland and Fish and Chips there. Don't miss the icebergs and whales - go in January.

alaska,florida,san francisco....the list is bit more
9. Alberta weather (I visited mid January )
visited only windsor
10. Lotsa dosa joints (and their numbers keep growing every day)
not only dosa but idli as well joints galore
11. Microbreweries and their wonderful beer. Burp.

been a bud ice man but going slow on literally everything hic hic
12. Great looking wine and liquor stores (unlike the seedy ones in the US). And they are pretty well stocked. Believe you can get Kingfisher beer and Old Monk rum. Personally don't go for Kingfisher because of 11 above. And I hate rum.

aww so mean kunju.here are great bars some topless as well...we are sinfully happy bunch
13. The local supermarkets are full of "desi ghee" and "dahi". Yes these are the official labels. And their stock of Indian stuff is increasing every day.

wherever desis are there ghee dahi is there in outlets.
14. You can buy murungakkai and senaikazhangu almost as fresh as in Chennai from the friendly neighborhood Srilankan store. And of course karivepillai. But you should be ready for a great big whiff of karvadu. (Dried fish for the uninitiated)

long live the patels for us.

15. Can't swim. Otherwise I would add Lake Ontario as a natural delight.

definitely know crowbar swimming gulp gulp
16. Lovely natural walking paths virtually next door to your home (I am talking about the walkway along the Credit River)

i think north america earned such landscape,truly a beautiful region on earth :)
17. Road cleanup after a blizzard. I don't think I have ever missed a day's work due to a snowstorm, though I have been late. But we lost days of work when some Yankee tripped up the power grid somewhere in Idaho or Iowa. (And they initially blamed the Canadians)

ya ya blame them all on the neighbours,but still norad was dysfunctional when we needed them

we love canadians,mexicans,puerto ricans,in fact all of earth people as well as moonies

long live usa long live india long live canada .......:)

And there are glorious days of summer when the garden blooms with flowers that I knew about only in books but which I actually grow. Sadly the season is too short. And sometimes, things don't quite turn out right - the tomato plant that cost you $4.99 and yielded exactly two tomatoes

the petrified forests or Vancouver Island or Prince Edward Island or the fact that Victoria Day is actually a holiday

jai canada!

we do like her highness,but we are royalty as well

Canada rocks! America Sucks!

One of my favorite movies: Canadian Bacon

America is the only country in the world with national anthem carrying words like bombs!

Canada rocks! America Sucks!

One of my favorite movies: Canadian Bacon

America is the only country in the world with national anthem carrying words like bombs!

wonder why americans are unpopular.give give give is all americans have done and nothing in return ,truly a selfless charities worldover by americans.science technology fore runners.every trick of the trade americans have taught.maybe other nationalities are just jealous :)

national anthem has many words....wonder one itsy bitsy word makes the difference.in fact indian national anthem needs to be altered especially with pakistan being a new country from 1947 :)

i like canadians,they are warm and friendly so are indians so are americans so are australians........vasudeiva kutumbham :)

Nachi you wrote:

i like canadians,they are warm and friendly so are indians so are americans so are australians........vasudeiva kutumbham :)

Hey you left out Malaysians!!

wonder why americans are unpopular.give give give is all americans have done and nothing in return ,truly a selfless charities worldover by americans.science technology fore runners.every trick of the trade americans have taught.maybe other nationalities are just jealous :)

national anthem has many words....wonder one itsy bitsy word makes the difference.in fact indian national anthem needs to be altered especially with pakistan being a new country from 1947 :)

What give give give? nothing. America gave nothing. It is all disinformation for public consumption. The only "financial help" they routinely give to disasters around the world has been a "credit facility" by which other countries can buy from American companies! You must be confuesd between Japan and USA in aid record.
USA has over 800 military bases all over the planet. Remember that. Military has no noble intentions.

What give give give? nothing. America gave nothing. It is all disinformation for public consumption. The only "financial help" they routinely give to disasters around the world has been a "credit facility" by which other countries can buy from American companies! You must be confuesd between Japan and USA in aid record.
USA has over 800 military bases all over the planet. Remember that. Military has no noble intentions.

no doc i am not confused.truly if we analyse americans contribution to world is magnificient,truthful and up front.military bases though entirely different subject,may i ask you,is it possible to have a base without consent of the local geographical rulers?in fact bases are deterrents for which a transactional monetary consideration is taken into account,imho.there are other countries which have bases all over,why pick only americans?military by definition carries out order for law and order either for a cause or freedom.

And the best part about living in Canada is actually coming back to canada after trips!!

I love the attitude of our immigration guys, as a travelling consultant I travel every week and can see the remarkable
difference in attitudes of U.S. vs canadian immigration....it exactly takes 40 seconds to clear through Canadian side vs
the barrage of questions and inuendos by the counterpart inspite of having all formalities in tact...Oh Canada!!

..one of fellow tambrams living here, tired of all the yankee bragging, thought it good, to put down a list of why canada is better than the usa to live. (particularly toronto)
With Yamaka gone and KRS in long hibernation, the task of defending good old US of A has fallen to NN and myself. Between the two of us NN may do a better job as I think he believes in the stuff he writes about USA, I don't. Yet I have to take exceptions to a few of your points.

3. A full view of Niagara Falls
But you don't have Goat Island, do you? On the American side you get very close to both the horse shoe and the three sisters. Also, the Canadian side is completely commercialized, though I must admit, Americans are cheap, they charge 50 cents to get back to the U.S. side, but entrance to Canada is free.

12. Great looking wine and liquor stores (unlike the seedy ones in the US).
Come, come, we take our liquor seriously too. Bharathiyar wanted to destroy the world if one individual goes hungry, going by the number of liquor stores we seem to have, our motto here in the U.S. I think is, nobody should have to drive more than 5 minutes to a liquor store, or else we will destroy the world, i.e. whatever world we have not already destroyed.

17. Road cleanup after a blizzard. I don't think I have ever missed a day's work due to a snowstorm, though I have been late.
You say that is good??? Where I live, if we have flurries everything shuts down, holiday, what is more fun uh, uh, dear K?

Victoria Day is actually a holiday
Victoria day, what is that? Wait, wait, don't tell, or else we will have another day to have sale.

All this is fine, but tell me K, do you have Moonlight Madness Sale in Canada? We do!!

jai ho

i would tend to disagree with this one shiv.

canadians, inspite of a onpar dollar, love to shop in the usa. due to its sheer size, wealth and shopping savvity, the usa is any day a mecca for shoppers - there is more variety and more competition, and lower prices.

we have many of the same stores and outlets in canada, but the prices are higher, and the variety is less.

Nara, i would agree with the usa liquor policy. here we have state owned retail outlets, unionized labour and hours. not for us the convenience of corner store beer, wine or liquor. the government can still collect the same revenue, but let the outlets be privatized. barring alberta, all other provinces tightly control liquor sales through government outlets - a final holdover from the calvinistic blue laws. otherwise we are ok. i think.

is it possible to have a base without consent of the local geographical rulers?

Yes. That is why there is a CIA. It stages coups, topples elected leaders, appoints puppets and sign deals with a puppet to put up a military base!

in fact bases are deterrents for which a transactional monetary consideration is taken into account,imho.

In other words, it is all about some commerce protection interests. Correct. I mean, Putin is correct - USA is a parasite on World Economy.

there are other countries which have bases all over,why pick only americans?

Where? Who has military bases? China? Um.. no. India? NO. Russia? No No. Canada? Not anyone heard about. France? Some leftover residue in Ivory Coast. Please Explain which other countries have military bases around the world.

military by definition carries out order for law and order either for a cause or freedom.

US constitution is explicit about the purpose of military - for Defense purposes only. Not for the lame excuse " cause freedom" to other countries by waging wars.

Remember, your nation is in $14 Trillion official sovereign debt, $140 Trillion unofficial debt obligations. You and your next 6 future generations will be paying for it. Try figuring out what caused this debt.

Remember, your nation is in $14 Trillion official sovereign debt, $140 Trillion unofficial debt obligations. You and your next 6 future generations will be paying for it. Try figuring out what caused this debt.

drB,

did you not say that the dolla had a bright future? pls start your economic thread soon. :)

how does trillions of debt coexist with a balanced budget, untouchable entitlements like the military, medicare, medicaid etc. all the cuts i have seen are symbolic.

Yes. That is why there is a CIA. It stages coups, topples elected leaders, appoints puppets and sign deals with a puppet to put up a military base!

its an old cliche blaming the spy agencies,as if ruler are dunderheads in respective countries !!

In other words, it is all about some commerce protection interests. Correct. I mean, Putin is correct - USA is a parasite on World Economy.

put putt got checkmated.ussr dismantled while usa is going stronger ...

Where? Who has military bases? China? Um.. no. India? NO. Russia? No No. Canada? Not anyone heard about. France? Some leftover residue in Ivory Coast. Please Explain which other countries have military bases around the world.

Major Military Bases World-Wide

US constitution is explicit about the purpose of military - for Defense purposes only. Not for the lame excuse " cause freedom" to other countries by waging wars.

i mean when in fighting is already there,why blame usa?definitely noble intention of freeing people from tyranny,terror,old dogmas its an american thang

this i agree my friend.the futue generation will be feeling the pinch what we present generation did.but we are salvaging,and the president with a bipartisan vote is gonna lick this problem too.in fact i am a votary of usa exports because all the time imports are more than exports !!but i truly think,if anything happens in usa economy the ripple effect is far more in magnitude in other countries.chapter 11 or chapter 13 is a good thing :)

And the best part about living in Canada is actually coming back to canada after trips!!

I love the attitude of our immigration guys, as a travelling consultant I travel every week and can see the remarkable
difference in attitudes of U.S. vs canadian immigration....it exactly takes 40 seconds to clear through Canadian side vs
the barrage of questions and inuendos by the counterpart inspite of having all formalities in tact...Oh Canada!!

ok immigration sucks here,i accept.it will never be fixed,i am resigned to fate when it comes immigration here.unbelievable but true.wish i knew how to fix this one,so many families happiness is at stake with policies.

Your experience is not universal. We were unnecessarily harrassed by Canadian immigration and customs who even searched under our car. Needless to say, they did not find any drugs, or even a fugitive Mexican.

ok immigration sucks here,i accept.it will never be fixed,i am resigned to fate when it comes immigration here.unbelievable but true.wish i knew how to fix this one,so many families happiness is at stake with policies.

Immigration sucks everywhere, including India. Police station registration beyond 6 months anybody?

Those who complain about immigration should try visiting Australia and see how your brown skin will be welcomed down under!

Surely a person of your level of knowledge will know that absolute debt figures don't matter. What matters is debt as a percentage of the GDP.
Please refer to this Wikipedia entry: List of sovereign states by public debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You will find that USA is number 36. India is not far behind at number 44.

I don't know what people want to show by picking on the US here (on a thread about Canada). What should not be lost is the natural and deep friendship between the two countries.

Much better than India and any of its neighbours I would say.

Those who complain about immigration should try visiting Australia and see how your brown skin will be welcomed down under!

I am a naturalized Australian citizen. I immigrated to Australia 31 years ago. I was made to feel at home, was treated with respect and was welcomed with open arms. That is more than I can say for the way I get treated in many parts of India:mad2:

K. Kumar

Surely a person of your level of knowledge will know that absolute debt figures don't matter. What matters is debt as a percentage of the GDP.
Please refer to this Wikipedia entry: List of sovereign states by public debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You will find that USA is number 36. India is not far behind at number 44.

Not So fast. You are falling into the convenient deceptive argument from government to justify their borrow and spend intentions.

GDP is a variable. GDP is often a cooked up figure (with recounted money flow as new data). Debt is a Real Figure. Debt is an Absolute obligation which must be met regardless of economic fluctuations. Simply because the US debt has been numerically brought to the same order as the reported GDP, people tend to think these are somehow strongly related. There has been no economic theory that proves these two can be equated. So please don't import funny articles from wikipedia to claim any justification. Try arguing and showing that these two can be really put up as a ratio.

The only argument so far that has been made to relate GDP and Debt is that higher GDP may (without proof) will result in higher tax income (which hasn't happened) and therefore, there is a higher repayment ability for the government to pay back the Debt (which never happened).

Hence, please explain to me how such a ratio makes any economic sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back