• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

NRI TB's by 2070 AD

• Thread starter Thread starter ShivKC
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ShivKC

I personally knew one in my own very closed circle family who moved on to U.S by 60's and out of his 14 grandchildren 8 of them had become christian converts in U.S after marriage and if asked to explain what a brahmin is , they would only blink. Outhere I can see modern thinking and anti-brahmin thoughts posted by many n.r.i posters reflect the reality. Governors Bobby Jindal and Nikki haley's new found religion discarding their birth religion of mother land, support my stand.My question is , how to keep future NRI's under our own fold

Shri Shiv,

It is rather difficult unless there is sufficient number of tambrams in the area or that country and there is a sense of belonging to the community in all of them. In tambrams living in western country such sense of belonging seems to be very weak. Also, I understand from some people that among US tambrams, the seniority (number of years they have been in the US), green card/ citizenship status, etc., function more or less the same way as the caste system worked in India. Even among the H1B visa people, any fresh incoming person is seen both as a "fresher" and as a potential threat in the job market, especially nowadays. I am not sure about this but if you are located in US you can give us your experience.

I know of a tambram couple (the husband is no more, I do not know about the wife) who used to brag incessantly about the status and "pavishu" of their children and grandchildren in US, but also used to say that in every child's house non-veg and drinks were very common and so these couple used to have their food cooked by themselves in a separate room with facilities for cooking.

Thus, the initial diaspora themselves change to the western ways very easily and naturally. The only conclusion that emerges is that our so-called brahmin value system has very little weightage even in the minds of people born and brought up in India, once they reach the other side of the ocean.

Last edited:
HINDUS (which includes Brahmins) in USA do live like hindus in INDIA.ON 1st January, 2010
I visited a temple in Fremont,California in the evening.I could see thousands of hindus
coming and standing in Q near the entrance.I was told that people stand in Q for more than an hour in LIVERMORE temple on ist of January every year.
There are quite a number of Vedic Pandits who studied Veda in VEDAPATASALA in INDIA
who assist the brahmins and other hindus for their religious requirements.
I met one SRI.BALU SASTRY from PUNE in Fremont.HE did his Adyayanam in SANKARA mutt Thiruvanaikiol and 15 brahmins were learning Vedadam from him.
A few members of Hindu community may go for other religions.
I am very optimistic that the value system will be preserved by a majority of hindus
who are settled there.

I personally knew one in my own very closed circle family who moved on to U.S by 60's and out of his 14 grandchildren 8 of them had become christian converts in U.S after marriage and if asked to explain what a brahmin is , they would only blink. Outhere I can see modern thinking and anti-brahmin thoughts posted by many n.r.i posters reflect the reality. Governors Bobby Jindal and Nikki haley's new found religion discarding their birth religion of mother land, support my stand.My question is , how to keep future NRI's under our own fold

shiv,

greetings.

if you don't mind, before i move into further postings in this thread, i would like to clarify or seek clarification on your initial salvo here.

re brahmins becoming christian converts, while it may be true in this case, i have not seen any before. i know of over 100 families settled in both canada and the u.s. one kannada brahmin married into a southern baptist household and his children are active southern baptists.

the rest, i do not see any proliferation of strong faith feelings. marrying to whites does not necessarily mean conversion to christianity. there are whites, particularly in pockets of the usa who swear by the bible, but there are also as many whites who are lapsed christians.

in fact the fading of western christianity is a fascinating facet of the last 65 years. today even that most catholic of catholic countries, italy, has a population decline due to women refusing to have babies and opting for abortion - one of the pillar tenets of the catholic church. again getting married in a church, is no indication of conversion.

surprisingly, it is the indian christians or muslims who are more fanatic about it and maybe insist on conversion. even that i have not seen, except marriages conducted twice and once more for the registrar. so, i would strongly question your assumption here.

bobby jindal or nikki haley are special cases. bobby claims to have a vision to convert. so be it. i know of brahmins in india who had similar visions to go towards christianity. nikki is a sharp politician who has been pretty ambiguous about her faith. these two are also ambitious politicians, and confirms my belief, that politics is the last refuge of the scoundrel.

can you also please let me know when and where anti brahmin thoughts are posted by nri members. i am quite sure that i am part of that crowd, that you have in mind. you may not like some of my assumptions. you may not like my analysis. you may not agree with my conclusions.

just because my summations are disagreeable to you, i think, you cannot generalize everything into 'anti brahminism', whatever that may mean. to me, this looks like what the dmk in the seventies used to paint those whom they did not like as 'தமிழ் துரோகி'. can we get off from that habit of name calling, and move on to civilized and issue oriented discussion.

i am surprised such epithets coming from you, because of late, i have seen that you have been in a querying and curious mood. to be curious is the first step towards understanding the issues. then comes identifying them, analyzing them, identifying the root causes, and finally coming up with solutions to resolve those issues.

'modern thinking' as opposed to what? what is 'modern thinking'? again this is a vague generalization which could mean anything to anyone. some more details needed here, if it is relevant to the thread.

to your last question, i think most hindus abroad are far more proud of their hindu heritage than what those in india give them credit for. they are also an enlightened lot in many ways. first thing they shed, is the caste. absolutely. the next generation who are born in the west do not know the evil of caste, only because, they marry among other hindus from not only other parts of india, but also hindus from south africa, west indies or fiji.

also, while some folks may seek solace in the scriptures, most are nomenclature hindus, visiting the temple occassionally, and turning to rituals for birth, death or marriages - very similar to most of tambrams here. meat eating and alcohol are not considered taboos, and vegetarianism (or even veganism) is one of choice and not by imposition.

i have only one regret - that somehow while the food habit gets really broadened, i am not so sure, that favourite palghat type of cuisine with its avials, olans, kalans, arachu kalakkis and ericheri, will survive to the next generation. to me that is a personal loss to the palate, and not a reflection of decline of the faith.

thank you.

conclusion: Identity will end or it will just reamin for first of January. one day.
to be querious and curious defying our own conviction, traditions and values also means more succeptible for cults (demonic and atheist).

Last edited:
Its everyone's wish choose his or her way to live life. Whether one wants to read namaz 5 times a day or go to attend ardaas in gurudwara or mass in church or do sandhya vandanam.

We should think on this lines that fundamental principal in every religion is peace and humanity then we will never think who is christian or muslim or sikh.
The democracy in West hasn't yet matured. Even Obama is forced to clarify that he is not muslim. They have massive biases against muslims. Sikhs are attacked after 9/11 mistaking them for muslim. That means they don't concern about other religion's teachings.
No religion is at war its only ideologies.
As far as ur question is concerned in every country the religion of the majority get over confident and feel that they are the sole representatives of the nation. That brings evil ness in them and the minority being disciplined is more popular.

Today a hindu tomorrow a sikh day after tomorrow muslim etc etc.
Its just the matter of one's own preference and its ought to be respected.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back