• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Norway and the Child welfare laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahmanyan

At last the Government of Norway has agreed to send the two children to their natural parents in India. This is a case of severe cultural divide. If we go through the details of the case given hereunder we will understand how ridiculous and stupid are the accusations of Norwegian Child welfare authorities to impose severe punishment of separating the babies from their parents.

The Hindu : News / National : Norwegian authorities list Bhattacharyas' shortcomings

I am only sorry that citizens of our Country are treated like doormats in other countries, because of the weak-kneed policies of the Government.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

At last the Government of Norway has agreed to send the two children to their natural parents in India. This is a case of severe cultural divide. If we go through the details of the case given hereunder we will understand how ridiculous and stupid are the accusations of Norwegian Child welfare authorities to impose severe punishment of separating the babies from their parents.

The Hindu : News / National : Norwegian authorities list Bhattacharyas' shortcomings

I am only sorry that citizens of our Country are treated like doormats in other countries, because of the weak-kneed policies of the Government.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

I read this a few days ago in the Msian papers and was shocked to know such laws existed.
Thank God the children are with their parents now.

I really have no idea how westerners can let even a new born sleep in a own room all alone.
I find that highly unsafe as sometimes babies left unattended at night tend to have higher incidences of "sudden death syndrome" and what if someone breaks in the house and takes the baby away?
Break ins are common here and no risk can be taken to let a child alone.

Last edited:
Efforts to restore the custody of the children picked up after their grandparents — Monotosh and Shikha Chakraborty — met President Pratibha Patil over the weekend to seek her intervention in the matter. Following this, Mr. Krishna spoke to his Norwegian counterpart, Jonas Gahr Store and requested him to find an “amicable and urgent” settlement.India also expressed its concern to the Norwegian Ministry over the children being deprived of the undoubted benefits of being brought up in their own ethnic, religious cultural and linguistic milieu.Mr. Store assured Mr. Krishna that the Norwegian authorities were working hard to find a solution that was in the best interests of the children.

The Hindu : News : Norway agrees to hand over children to their uncle

Latest Update: January 26, 2012

The children would be handed over to Anurup's brother Arunabash Bhattacharya and parents would have unrestricted visitation rights. Indian government would monitor their progress. The handing over of the children to their uncle and reunion with their parents could take up to seven days.

We at Memsaab welcome the move by Norway court and bring this to an end.

Previous Story:

Anurup Bhattacharya works as a geo-scientist in Norway and lives with his wife Sagarika in Stavangar. in May 2011, the Norweigian child protective service took away their kids, 3 yr old Abhigyan and 1 year old Aishwarya after they behave erraticaly in school.

Although we don't know on what circumstances those children were taken, the NRI couple were charged with:
1. Force Feeding their kids with hand
2. Allowing children to sleep on the same bed
3. Childrens showing disconnection with the parents
When you look at these allegations, probably 99% parents in India will fit into this category and all our children need to be taken away.
Here the Irony thing is the children will be in foster care until they are 18 and both father and mother will get to meet their parents twice a year.
Apparently a lot going on this case. Bhattacharya's parents met with our President and asked them to intervene in this case. Our Foreign Minister has already initiated diplomatic dialogs to make Norweigian government about Indian culture and how children are brought up in India.
What we hope is there will be a break thru in this case soon as Bhatachrya's visa going to expire in March. Their grand parents may be given the custody of the children with visitation rights given to Norway consular officials in India.
What would you do when government takes your children for more than 8 months and you can't even talk to them more than twice a year...?
Norway Custody Case Update: Children taken away from so called Abusing Indian Parents | MemSaab.com

Last edited:

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.
We generally share a common bond, but I beg to differ.
We Indians are treated with respect in the western world. I do not know about middle east, but we do have to live by the rules of the land. I do sympathize with the Bhattacharya family, but we do not know the full story. Why would the child protection agency be so intrusive, generally they get involved only when someone alerts them to a scenario.

I know Indian mission's failure to help PIO's, but there is a limit to their abilities. I do not expect them to jump immediately to every situation. We also know of the facts only in due course.
It is good this saga has come to an end.

hi prasad,
it happens in USA too.....very particular in south asian community.....never bother these things in india....

We generally share a common bond, but I beg to differ.
We Indians are treated with respect in the western world. I do not know about middle east, but we do have to live by the rules of the land. I do sympathize with the Bhattacharya family, but we do not know the full story. Why would the child protection agency be so intrusive, generally they get involved only when someone alerts them to a scenario.

I know Indian mission's failure to help PIO's, but there is a limit to their abilities. I do not expect them to jump immediately to every situation. We also know of the facts only in due course.
It is good this saga has come to an end.

Dear Sri Prasad,

I appreciate your views fully and agree that expatriate should respect the law of the land and live accordingly. My approach towards solving the problems in life is always "humane" based on compassion. In this case just look at the emotional disturbance caused to the parents of the children, when they are separated from their babies, that too in a foreign country. "Cutting the nose is not the cure for cold". The Norwegian Government could have cancelled their visa and sent the Parents and the babies back to India.

According to my understanding separating the natural parents from their babies amount to gross violation of basic human right.

In our country it is common that children are fed with hands and they also sleep with their
parents. This is being followed for generations. The other accusations like dress and toys are frivolous.

Our diplomatic missions in foreign Countries are known for their lethargy to attend the problems of their citizens. There is no commitment to keep up the honour of our country.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Looks like Norway CPS is involved with 1/5th of their yearly births and they seem very invasive. I doubt that this case is based on racism

Norway and the CPS

Regards,
KRS

Dear Sri KRS,

I appreciate and thank you for posting the "web link" in your message.

The UN Report clearly states "that the current practices of Norwegian Child Protection system are not compatible with the UN Convention on the rights of the Child. The Norwegian State thereby violates the rights of many children to grow up in their natural family environment".

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Sri Prasad,

I appreciate your views fully and agree that expatriate should respect the law of the land and live accordingly. My approach towards solving the problems in life is always "humane" based on compassion. In this case just look at the emotional disturbance caused to the parents of the children, when they are separated from their babies, that too in a foreign country. "Cutting the nose is not the cure for cold". The Norwegian Government could have cancelled their visa and sent the Parents and the babies back to India.

According to my understanding separating the natural parents from their babies amount to gross violation of basic human right.

In our country it is common that children are fed with hands and they also sleep with their
parents. This is being followed for generations. The other accusations like dress and toys are frivolous.

Our diplomatic missions in foreign Countries are known for their lethargy to attend the problems of their citizens. There is no commitment to keep up the honour of our country.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

I agree with you 100%.

Hello ALL:

I want to understand this Norway NRI Kids' Row well.

1. Is it the poor understanding of Indian Parents by the Norway Children Welfare Dept? Or

2. These NRIs were so very poor parents?

I have not taken a position on this..

Please enlighten me!

Cheers.

:)

Marianne Haslev Skånland Professor Emeritus, Bergen, Norway, has written an op-ed in "The Hindu" issue dated January 30, 2012 detailing the state abuse of parental rights under Norwegian ‘child protection services' (CPS), which is available in the following URL:
The iron hand that rocks the cradle

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back