• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

News FromThe World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuesday, 27 March , 2007, 15:14

Oslo: Chennai-born mathematician, Srinivasa S R Varadhan has been awarded the Norwegian Abel Prize or the Nobel Prize for mathematics.

According to the jury, Varadhan was cited for his ‘fundamental contributions to probability theory and in particular for a unified theory of large deviations’. Varadhan currently teaches at New York University's Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, and his theories have proved useful in a broad range of fields, including quantum field theory, statistical physics, population dynamics, econometrics and finance, and traffic engineering. The prize money amounts to $8,50,000 and will be conferred on him at a ceremony in Oslo later this year.

Name:

S.R.Srinivasa Varadhan,
Professor, Mathematics Department,
Courant Institute of Matematica Sciences,
New York University.

Nick-name:

"Raghu"

Mail Address:

251 Mercer St. New York, NY 10012, U.S.A.

Phones:

212.998.3334 (voice) 212.995.4121 (fax)

Email:

[email protected]

Varadhan was born in Madras, India, and after winning his doctorate in mathematics there in 1963, went to the Courant Institute in New York, where he remained.

The Abel Prize, first awarded in 2003, was created by the Norwegian government and named after 19th Century Norwegian mathematician Niels Henrik Abel.

In a popularized presentation of Varadhan's work, University of Oslo professor Tom Louis Lindstroem said large deviations are those results that appear to defy normal odds. For example, if a normal coin were tossed 1,000 times, about half the tosses would be expected to turn up as 'heads.'

"But this need not happen," he wrote. "There is a small - extremely small - probability that the coin will show 'heads' every time. ... The art of large deviations is to calculate the probability of such rare events."

Varadhans Large Deviation Principle sums up how to apply the techniques to the chances of an unlikely outcomes.

Last edited:
Great news, kspv!

Yet another instance of Indian excelling abroad.

We all eagerly wait for the day when an Indian scientist working in India or teaching in India gets a nobel prize in science.

Great news! talking about chances of unlikely outcomes. Can he find out when India will win cricket world cup again?

Prof. Loganathan Dies in Virginia Tech Shoot Out.

Professor G V Loganathan of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering was teaching in a class in the Norris Hall – one of the crime scenes – when the gunman went on rampage. His colleague Prof Raman Kumar confirmed the news of Loganathan’s death to CNN-IBN.

According to Raman, Loganathan was taking a lecture when the second shooting occurred. He was killed around 09.15 am (local time), Raman confirmed. When CNN-IBN contacted a shaken Raman, he was at Lognathan’s residence and said he got the confirmation from the authorities at the University.

However, Raman said no other details were made available and police were not willing to give out any information regarding the deceased or the injured to anyone except the immediate family. Loganathan is survived by wife Usha Loganathan and two daughters Uma and Abhirami. The family of four stays on the campus in Blacksburg.

According to Virginia University website, 51-year-old Loganathan received his bachelor's degree from Madras University, his master's degree from the Indian Institute of Technology, and his doctorate from Purdue University.

Loganathan first became a member of the Virginia Tech community in 1982 and earned several honours, including the Outstanding Faculty Award, the Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching, and Faculty Achievement Award for Excellence in Civil Engineering Education. He was also the recipient of Virginia Tech's 2006 W E Wine Award for Excellence in Teaching.​

Thank you, Kashyap for the article on Prof.Ram Charan. Do you know I had the privilege of meeting him when I was at the prestigious GE Management School in Crotonville, New York in 1981. As a matter of fact, he was making the rounds with the GE Chairman, Jack Welch and during dinner (we had to have a suit and tie!), he actually came over and said 'hi' and talked to me for a few minutes. I was the lone Indian guy in that batch!

I am hoping to meet him too-- law of transitivity

silverfox
good to know that you found it itneresting and glad to know that you have met him.

I too would like to meet him -- atleast transitively--if i meet you => I meet him :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back