• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Neeyaa Naana episode about Thirukkural

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kannanpadmanabhan

Last Sunday (22nd Feb) Neeyaa Naana on Vijay TV had a discussion on Thirukkural and its valuable content. 50% participants were youngsters and balance from teachers, poets etc
I really thought it was an amazing experience to know the wisdom that Thirukkural conveys not just on morals but on a wide range of subjects.

If some member could post the video link of the episode, I think many would like it

Kannan

Yes I also watched the same . Really happy to see both youngsters and elders still find inspiration from Thirukural .If I find the link to that episode on youtube ,I will share the same here .

In Thirukkural, some Tamil words are very difficult to understand and can be explained only by experts in Tamil literature, but, however, certain words are still prevalent and the Kural can be understood to a certain extent even by a lay man.

I have a feeling that Thirukkural is not the work of one individual but at least three persons, belonging to the faith of Jainism, Buddhism and Saivism. This aspect has not been properly looked into by Tamil Scholars.

In any case, Thirukkural is a wonderful text, applicable to all people for all ages.

............ I have a feeling that Thirukkural is not the work of one individual but at least three persons, belonging to the faith of Jainism, Buddhism and Saivism. This aspect has not been properly looked into by Tamil Scholars. ..........
You are capable of getting such doubts, Sir! :)

The style of the couplets is the same in all the 1330 verses.

Why can't one genius write all of them?
award_star.png

Thirukkural is a universal text...Applicable to all...No caste, creed, gender, age, socio economic status or race will matter!

I have a feeling that Thirukkural is not the work of one individual but at least three persons, belonging to the faith of Jainism, Buddhism and Saivism. This aspect has not been properly looked into by Tamil Scholars.

Thiruvalluvar was taking the best from every religion that existed during his time and made incorporated in his Thirukural . So that is why you can see many schools of thought in Thirukural .

Thiruvalluvar was taking the best from every religion that existed during his time and made incorporated in his Thirukural . So that is why you can see many schools of thought in Thirukural .

The truly amazing part is , how such wisdom relevant even to today's world, was captured in all the couplets. What exposure, what experiences had been undergone more than 2000 years ago is mind-blowing

I am curious to know what our members here think about this kural:

தெய்வம் தொழாஅள் கொழுனற்றொழுதெழுவாள்
பெய்யெனப்பெய்யும் மழை.

LOL.

"ஏட்டு சுரைக்காய் கறிக்கு உதவாது" - this will be the view of the proverbial frog that has jumped out of the well!

It is a shame if the sage advice of thiruvalluvar is ignored while wearing the cloak of 'modernity'.

I also watched it and it was good. Strange people remembers and talks so much on Kamathu pal. There was one thirukural discussed about saying like "bless you" when one sneeze. This is actually a western habit rather than Indian.. it is strange our ancestors have followed it 2000 years ago similar to what westerners do today. Also if you see the variety that Thirukural covers, it makes me think.. is Thiruvalluvar single person or multiple persons joined together to create this wonderful texts - how can one have experience or knowledge to right on variety of topic and situations... Lovely!

பெய்யெனப்பெய்யும் மழை. ....
Dear Vaagmi Sir,

When I was writing short explanations for ThirukkuraLs in our literature forum, Prof. Nara used to ask me whether some of

them are valid even today! They were about 'kulam'.

BTW, I have already written how my Tamil master in school gave a different explanation for this kuraL, which might fit well

in modern days! Don't know whether you have read it. Anyway, here it is:

தெய்வம் தொழாஅள் = She will NOT pray God. :nono:

கொழுனற்றொழுதெழுவாள் = She will get up only when her husband prays her to get up (with a cup of hot coffee!)
! :hail:பெய்யெனப்பெய்யும் மழை = Rain will pour down if she says 'பெய்' (pey), due to fear! :fear: . . . . :rain:

Hope you are satisfied. :)

P.S: My master's original name was Ramaswamy which he changed to 'Amudhan'. :thumb:

........ Also if you see the variety that Thirukural covers, it makes me think.. is Thiruvalluvar single person or multiple persons joined together to create this wonderful texts - how can one have experience or knowledge to right on variety of topic and situations...
A genius appears as a multiple person! :thumb:

........ There was one thirukural discussed about saying like "bless you" when one sneeze. This is actually a western habit rather than Indian.. it is strange our ancestors have followed it 2000 years ago similar to what westerners do today. .........
It is usual in most of the tambram households to say 'dheergaayusu', when children sneeze. :)

Last edited:
You are capable of getting such doubts, Sir! :)

The style of the couplets is the same in all the 1330 verses.

Why can't one genius write all of them?
award_star.png

What is the meaning of first sentence?

Whilst there is no doubt about the uniqueness of Thirukural, I find very simple words as well as complex words very difficult to understand. Hence, this doubt.

Thiruvalluvar sports Vibhuti in a statue in front of Sanskrit college, Mylapore..Has any one noticed it? Is he a Saiva?

பெய்யெனப்பெய்யும் மழை.

LOL.

sir,

this is one kural i am very often reminded about especially during monsoon season when rain fails.

it is interpreted thus, 'a woman who worships her husband as God, just have to command the sky to rain and it rains'.

is valluvar serious about what he exhorts or has he just exaggerated the power of a chaste woman.

are there no chaste women in our land who have the power to bring shower by just a command of the mouth?

It may be an exaggeration, but kadamai, kanniyam and kattupaadu may do miracles!

sir, what do you mean to say? you seem to have quoted annadurai. dyu mean following a'durai may do miracles?

The population of not giving credit to Tiruvalluvar is growing. And the Jains are there to claim credit for every thing. A Muslim recently claimed that everybody is a born Muslim. There are lots of organisations to create distance from man to man and there are people to stoke such efforts. I think it is better to listen to the KuRaL if one cannot follow it. In the said program a student got the essence of some KuRaLs but confessed to not being able to recite the relevant KuRaL. And there was a gentle man who could recite any of the 1,330 KuRaLs on any of the analyzed KuRaL without prompting and winking his eyes. But here we are discussing who wrote the KuRaL. It is our cultural malady. I just remembered a Vivek's joke: Question: Who wrote TirukkuRaL? Answer: Solomon Pappayya!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back