• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Nations become successful when women do well, Obama says

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

US President Barack Obama on Tuesday said the sight of "incredible" Indian women in the Armed forces was one of his "favourite things" on his India visit as he stressed that nations become successful when their women make progress.

Obama made the remark while lauding the role played by Indian women in various spheres of life in his address to a select audience of youngsters here, many of them females.

The President, who wound up this three-day visit to India with this speech, referred to the presence of women defence officers in India.

"One of the favourite things on this trip for me has been to see all these incredible Indian women in the Armed forces including the person who commanded the guard that greeted me when I arrived (at Rashtrapati Bhavan). It's remarkable. It is a sign of great strength and progress," he said amidst a thunderous applause from the crowd and his wife Michelle who accompanied him to the venue at Siri Fort auditorium here.

The defence forces, in a first, chose women officers to lead their marching contingents during the Republic Day parade here on January 26. Wing Commander Pooja Thakur of the Indian Air Force led the Guard of Honour at the Rashtrapati Bhavan when Obama was accorded a ceremonial welcome last Saturday.

"We know from experience that nations are successful when their women are successful. When girls go to school ... this is one of the most direct measures of whether a nation is going to develop perfectly ... and how it treats its women," Obama said.

He urged men, in all forms of relation to a women, to ensure that the fairer sex are ensured their freedom and right. "It is as husbands and fathers and brothers that we have to step up because every girl's life matters and every daughter deserves the same chances as our sons and every woman should be able to go about her day, to walk the street and ride the bus and be safe and treated with respect and dignity she deserves," he said.
Nations become successful when women do well, Obama says - The Times of India

That observation is for india. For saudi arabia it is different - human rights, treatment of women, secularism have different meanings. A man jailed for ten years with a public 50 lashes per week, beheading, death by stoning are all acceptable social behaviour. He knows which side of the bread is buttered.

So I guess India better start by giving the First Lady of India Jashodaben Modi her rightful status.

So I guess India better start by giving the First Lady of India Jashodaben Modi her rightful status.

What among the below is her right status:

1. An estranged wife of a Gujarati Gentleman.

2. An orthodox hindu wife who refuses to let go. Refuses to recognize the yathaartham that her husband has abandoned her for whatever reasons between them.

3. A smart and intelligent woman who understands the fact that her husband is gone for ever and that it would be nice to keep watching him from the periphery as he plays a much larger role and the nation stands to benefit from that without ever claiming anything from the earlier relationship.

4. A spurned woman who is hurt and so wants to strike back taking Modi to court-if there is a case at all.

5. A very ambitious woman who has dreams of creating a new dynasty after that of Nehru and mughals.

An answer to this will decide what is her rightful place. I think she is already in her rightful place despite what our enthusiasts will say.

normally men who abandon women after marrying them are not glorified and put on a pedestal

only some indians can do such things.

I am amazed some wise TBs seek to justify such action in this forum.

we require electoral laws to shut out such elements from the political system.

politics has been debased by such elements

Dear Renu,

The president of India Mr.Pranab Mukherjee married Ms. Suvra on 13 July 1957.

So, Mrs. Suvra will feel bad if you call Mrs. Jashodaben as the First Lady of India! :pout:

Dear Renu,

The president of India Mr.Pranab Mukherjee married Ms. Suvra on 13 July 1957.

So, Mrs. Suvra will feel bad if you call Mrs. Jashodaben as the First Lady of India! :pout:

dear RR ji,

In India the President does not run the country and does not stand for election and is appointed.

The Presidents role is like how the Queen is Constitutional Monarchy in UK.

Therefore the 1st lady status goes to the PM's wife.

In the USA the scenario is different becos the President stands for elections and voted democratically hence his wife is the 1st Lady.

What among the below is her right status:

1. An estranged wife of a Gujarati Gentleman.

2. An orthodox hindu wife who refuses to let go. Refuses to recognize the yathaartham that her husband has abandoned her for whatever reasons between them.

3. A smart and intelligent woman who understands the fact that her husband is gone for ever and that it would be nice to keep watching him from the periphery as he plays a much larger role and the nation stands to benefit from that without ever claiming anything from the earlier relationship.

4. A spurned woman who is hurt and so wants to strike back taking Modi to court-if there is a case at all.

5. A very ambitious woman who has dreams of creating a new dynasty after that of Nehru and mughals.

An answer to this will decide what is her rightful place. I think she is already in her rightful place despite what our enthusiasts will say.

None of the above..the more I read about her it just seems to me she just wants her husbands love and acknowledgment of her existence.

Last edited:
Since the Thirukural was recently translated to Gujrati..I hope the PM reads verse 59.

Verse 59

Unless the wife pursues praiseworthy purity
The husband cannot prance like a proud lion before his critics.

So he should thank God for having such a chaste Pati Vrta wife..the least he could do is acknowledge her and restore her rights as his wife.

She has the freedom to do what she wants. Either follow traditional Hindu values or so called modern values. Wisely she has chosen the best.

Dear Renu,

Wiki says about the
First Lady:

''The term "First Lady" is less frequently used in India. The term might be used sometimes to refer to the wife of The President of India in

newspapers, the more widespread term in general usage is "Wife of The President" or more informally as The President's wife/spouse/

husband, though in less use, if used, the term "First lady" will obviously refer to the wife of the President of India and is not referred to as

the wife of the Prime Minister.''

I just wonder what will happen if Jashodaben packs her bags and just knocks at Modi's door and says "I am going to stay with you from now on"

What will he do?

I also wonder why she never tried to go back to him by asking some elders to intervene.

But she did mention that he HAS to call her back only then she will go...so I guess may be she wants to be really sure that he wants her. I dont blame her for feeling this way.

But whatever said and done I still do not buy the story that he sacrificed his married life to serve the nation.

That is not sacrifice..that is called an ambition.

Last edited:
Dear members,

Kindly note that my post #7 is not accurate and it has been clearly pointed out to me by Raji Madam..so kindly ignore my post #7 as it is not correct.

Thanks again to Raji madam for providing accurate information.

This is my post which is not accurate:
dear RR ji,

In India the President does not run the country and does not stand for election and is appointed.

The Presidents role is like how the Queen is Constitutional Monarchy in UK.

Therefore the 1st lady status goes to the PM's wife.

In the USA the scenario is different becos the President stands for elections and voted democratically hence his wife is the 1st Lady.

Dear Renu,

Please read what Jashodaben said:

5. Jashodaben and Modi met for the last time in 1987, as stated by her in an interview with Indian Express. When asked to describe this meeting

by
ETV, she said that Modi apologized to her for not staying with her all those years and asked her to consider divorce and re-marriage and

carry on with her life. She however replied saying, "Why would I re-marry? You move forward on your path and I will on mine."

Source: All that you need to know about Jashodaben, wife of PM Narendra Modi | Business Standard News

Dear RR ji,

I did not know this..this was not highlighted as much.

Anyway if he told her to divorce and re-marry in that case I rest my case.

But I still feel she loves him..cos she said recently that she will go back to him if he calls.

So the path she has chosen is ..waiting for him.

In india divorce is considered such a stigma not many can live with especially women.

this is very poor compensation for damage done.

in india there are lakhs of ladies facing these types of issues with no easy legal redress.

desertion by husbands among the poor classes is a social problem.

often the men remarry another woman and the first woman is left in the lurch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back