• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Narayaneeyam and related texts

Status
Not open for further replies.

renuka

Dear all,

I am going to post a comment about Narayaneeyam here which I hope wont come across as disturbing to some...
This masterpiece was written by Meppathur Narayana Bhattatiri...

His work is simply out of this world..if you looking at it purely from a poetic point of view.
But on the other hand it surely comes across at time with fetish undertones with regards to the female anatomy of the Gopikas in particular and I wont be wrong to say that at times its more like slander to Lord Krishna.....

Was this text somewhat altered along the way?
Because even the Sanskrit Text which I am reading now sounds slanderous to Lord Krishna...

What suprises me is many a times..unnecessary comparisons are made to the female body..
What was going on in the authors mind?

I am suprised that all this passed the censors of the ancient moral police...

renu

Dear all,

I am going to post a comment about Narayaneeyam here which I hope wont come across as disturbing to some...
This masterpiece was written by Meppathur Narayana Bhattatiri...

His work is simply out of this world..if you looking at it purely from a poetic point of view.
But on the other hand it surely comes across at time with fetish undertones with regards to the female anatomy of the Gopikas in particular and I wont be wrong to say that at times its more like slander to Lord Krishna.....

Was this text somewhat altered along the way?
Because even the Sanskrit Text which I am reading now sounds slanderous to Lord Krishna...

What suprises me is many a times..unnecessary comparisons are made to the female body..
What was going on in the authors mind?

I am suprised that all this passed the censors of the ancient moral police...

renu
hi renu ji,
i have narayaneeyam book in sanskrit...i read translation in malayalam...its beautiful poem....we can compare the narayaneeyam
with srimad bhagavatham..very simple and awesome book...

regards
tbs

Dear TBSji,

I can understand its really poetically beautiful....but why did the poets of yore be so obsessed with the female anatomy in most of its sentences...why I dont see them writing about a fellow male that way...

Ok,I am going to give an example from the Narayaneeyam..Canto 75 stanza 2...

.....Thou on being caught up by the trunk of the elephant,didst easily release thyself and deliver a blow on its bulging forehead which had been long in rivalry with the breast of Thy Gopikas.....

......hastinaa grhyamaanah kelimukto tha gopi kucakalasha ciraspardhinam kumbhamasya...

see what i mean? is this type of comparison really necessary...you know all my life when i saw elephants..i never thought pachyderms were actually competing with females....

why couldnt he word it without any comparison to the female anatomy...

Like for example...( i am no poet...but its just a try...)

.....Thou on being caught up by the trunk of the elephant,didst easily release thyself and deliver a blow on its bulging forehead which had been long in rivalry with the prominent effulgence of a full moon.....

Dear TBSji,

I can understand its really poetically beautiful....but why did the poets of yore be so obsessed with the female anatomy in most of its sentences...why I dont see them writing about a fellow male that way...

Ok,I am going to give an example from the Narayaneeyam..Canto 75 stanza 2...

.....Thou on being caught up by the trunk of the elephant,didst easily release thyself and deliver a blow on its bulging forehead which had been long in rivalry with the breast of Thy Gopikas.....

......hastinaa grhyamaanah kelimukto tha gopi kucakalasha ciraspardhinam kumbhamasya...

see what i mean? is this type of comparison really necessary...you know all my life when i saw elephants..i never thought pachyderms were actually competing with females....

why couldnt he word it without any comparison to the female anatomy...

Like for example...( i am no poet...but its just a try...)

.....Thou on being caught up by the trunk of the elephant,didst easily release thyself and deliver a blow on its bulging forehead which had been long in rivalry with the prominent effulgence of a full moon.....
hi renu ji,
in sahitya...these comparisons are very common...in kumarasambhava...mahakavi kalidasa describing paravati's
body/anatomy was descibed in the same manner...the thighs
are like banana tress...etc...so these things very common
and attractive to audiences in sahitya...gopikas rasa leela
...we have to understand the bhava/bhakti...not really
the word meanings....

regards
tbs

hi renu ji,
in sahitya...these comparisons are very common...in kumarasambhava...mahakavi kalidasa describing paravati's
body/anatomy was descibed in the same manner...the thighs
are like banana tress...etc...so these things very common
and attractive to audiences in sahitya...gopikas rasa leela
...we have to understand the bhava/bhakti...not really
the word meanings....

regards
tbs

Dear sir,

thats why i worded the thread as Narayaneeyam and related text...
even in Lalithasahasranamam...we find sentences describing the goddess as being slightly bent forward due to the weight of her breast etc.....

see what i mean..why are these poets all so fetish?

I have yet to come across any text which describes a male likewise...

I have yet to come across something like this(Ok this is another shot for me at poetry)

"Thy tall,dark statuesque,imposing persona with six digitations on Thy abdomen(six pack) moist with the sweat of exertion by Thy bearing the Earth O Dharanidhara, sent the females on a frenzy..."

why dont we find this anywhere?

Last edited:
Dear TBSji,

see even in Lalitasahasranamam instead of saying Goddess is bent forward due to the weight of Her breast... can the poet not word it like this...

"O radiant beautiful One,whose body is bent forward owing to the weight of Thy concern in nourishing the world"

See what i mean...we all know breast nourish babies and children...we can surely describe all this in a less explicit way...

Dear sir,

thats why i worded the thread as Narayaneeyam and related text...
even in Lalithasahasranamam...we find sentences describing the goddess as being slightly bent forward due to the weight of her breast etc.....

see what i mean..why are these poets all so fetish?

I have yet to come across any text which describes a male likewise...

I have yet to come across something like this(Ok this is another shot for me at poetry)

"Thy tall,dark statuesque,imposing persona with six digitations on Thy abdomen(six pack) moist with the sweat of exertion by Thy bearing the Earth O Dharanidhara, sent the females on a frenzy..."

why dont we find this anywhere?
hi renu ji,
females are always attractive...in devi mahatmuyam...devi parvati
is called APEETHAKUCHAMBAL...i dont want detail more here...
female body/anatomy always attractive in sahitya....when i learned
sahitya....these are very intersting in younger ages...in ghandarva
vidya...sahitya/ sangeetha/natya...are meant for it....

regards
tbs

hi renu ji,
females are always attractive...in devi mahatmuyam...devi parvati
is called APEETHAKUCHAMBAL...i dont want detail more here...
female body/anatomy always attractive in sahitya....when i learned
sahitya....these are very intersting in younger ages...in ghandarva
vidya...sahitya/ sangeetha/natya...are meant for it....

regards
tbs

Dear TBSJi,

You know what...the Hindu Poets did not really do a great job I feel..they only concentrated on the female anatomy...
Why did they not dissect the male anatomy as well and as detail too..

For that you have to admire the Greeks...even today when an attractive male is described..he is always described as "Having looks of a Greek God"....

No one says.."Oh My God...he has looks of a Hindu god"...

maybe present day Hindu poets should devote some time on the male anatomy too...

Dear TBSJi,

You know what...the Hindu Poets did not really do a great job I feel..they only concentrated on the female anatomy...
Why did they not dissect the male anatomy as well and as detail too..

For that you have to admire the Greeks...even today when an attractive male is described..he is always described as "Having looks of a Greek God"....

No one says.."Oh My God...he has looks of a Hindu god"...

maybe present day Hindu poets should devote some time on the male anatomy too...
hi renu ji,
in srimad bhagavad lord krishna 's anatomy described....even some
what lord raam's anatomy was described in ramayana...but mostly
female anatomy always a attractive....no doubt in world...
whole world problem ...from sage vishwamitra to the modern
days yogis...nobody is exempted... its naked truth...whole
mahabharata/raamayana....whole story created due to female
anatomy....

regards
tbs

Abhirmi Battars `Abhirami Andhaadhi' grorifies Goddess Abhirami (Sakthi). It is a wonderful composition in Tamil and the explanatory work by eminent Tamil Scholar late Sri Ki.Va.Jagannathan is equally great.

It is believed that Abhirami Battar was always thinking about Goddess Abhirami and was totally unaware of happenings in the outside world. When the king asked him what is the `thithi' of the day, he had told him as full moon day whereas actually it was an amavasya day.

King felt insulted and asked him to show the moon failing which he will be thrown to the fire. Abhirami Battar composed the above songs and towards the last poem, Goddess Abhirmai threw her ear ring to the sky which appeared like a full moon. King realised his mistake and Bhattar was saved from the punishment.

It is supposed to have happened about three hundred years back at Tirukkadaiyur.

Sirkazhi Govindarajan has sung the entire songs with full devotional flavour and the same is available in our website itself in the devotional category.

All the best

hi renu ji,
in srimad bhagavad lord krishna 's anatomy described....even some
what lord raam's anatomy was described in ramayana...but mostly
female anatomy always a attractive....no doubt in world...
whole world problem ...from sage vishwamitra to the modern
days yogis...nobody is exempted... its naked truth...whole
mahabharata/raamayana....whole story created due to female
anatomy....

regards
tbs

Dear sir,

If thats the case...then a clear line of demarcation must be drawn...
Text which are too descriptive in nature with regards to the human anatomy have to be grouped seperately..under art,poetry and literature...and not let them come under the cloak of religous text...

Otherwise I might prefer to watch Nithyananda in action...whats the big difference then...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back