• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Naming the Baby- South Indian Brahmin way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naming the Baby- South Indian Brahmin way

This is interesting!!

Naming has a special significance in Hinduism. They are usually named after a God and are a part of ritual for two reasons:

1. By calling the name, others get to think of the said god. For instance, if a father calls his son Ram a 100 many times a day for various reasons, he does the Rama japa (ritual chanting of a mantra) without doing an extra effort.
  2. By getting called by a God's name, the said person is more likely to think about that God and refor

While naming with a God's name, there are also special adjectives added to help you concentrate on a specific attribute of that God. For instance, a guy could be named Pattabi Raman helping him to focus on the crowning of Lord Ram. Another person could be a Srinivasan, to help him focus on the prosperity aspect of Lord Vishnu. While in rest of India, Hindus have shifted out of this model to name their kids after natural elements (Pavan, Sheetal, etc) or characteristics, we have stuck to the God model.

Tamils like adjectives & epithets. For instance, while a north Indian might be just "Ram", a Tamil has to be a "Kodhanda" Raman, "Venkata" Raman, "Pattabi" Raman, "Sundar" Raman, Sita Raman...

Given that everyone knows that Lord Ram looked awesome, was crowned, had a big bow, married Sita, are not these adjectives moot and super-fluent? ;-) If we find such names as Vasan, we will immediately work hard to add bandages to make it atleast a little bigger, say SriniVasan.

What would have been 3 dudes: Siva, Ram, Krish in north India, we pack it all in one dude: Sivarama Krishnan. No God left unloved.

When we add our place name, we often make sure it is prefixed with the honorific "Thiru" and when Sankrit names are used, we often add the suffix "an". Like scope creep in a project, our names have "title" creep.

You cannot just be any Nath (leader), but has to be a "Viswa" nathan, "Jaga" nathan and what not. I'm happy enough to be a leader, why have "world leader" in my name? ;-) It is hard to find a traditional Tamil name without all the adjectives.

(Keeping God's name or one of Kuladeivam name, Grand Parents name was the practice in olden days)

In case of our beloved neighbors, Telugus, they add their native place name, house name, god names, neighbors gods names, great great grandfathers's name, etc. In fact, if you talk long enough they might add your name too. Unfortunately, for practical reasons such as passport, they are forced to curtail the name significantly within a couple of hundred characters. Such kind of shortening has seemingly left many gods such as Narasimha, Srinivasa and Venkata very unhappy.

Here is one of the town names:Venkata+Narasimha+Raju+Vari+Peta. Looks like somebody doesn't like being called just Raju Peta.

main-qimg-b7fa7bddc847e3d900e1f914736b0148

Source:Why are South Indian names often long? - Quora

Last edited:
Telugu names.

About Telugu names.

In Telugu names, most of the time, cutting across castes, the main surnames are toponomical i.e. they relate to the place of the origin.

For example, in "Pamulaparti" V. Narsimha Rao, (ex-PM of India), the surname denotes the place. In "Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan" or "Vangipurapu V S Laxman" (cricketer), its the same. In "Kakarla Tyagabrahmam" (Lord Tyagaraja of Carnatic music) or Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao (NTR) its the same. However, this needn't always be the case (like mine, "Aditham" which is a pure Sanskrit word meaning sword). Usually, a very loose indicator of it being a place signifier is if the surname ends in an "i" or in an "la", both of which give the meaning "of".

The phenomenon cuts across castes. There can be a "Vedula" or a "Garikipati" XXX from any caste (and are) and they are from a place which starts with "Vedu" or from a place Garikipadu. Usually, in Telugu, these surnames end with a signifier, "of" ("la" and "i").

In the "GVSS. Raju", "PVSN. Sarma", "DVSR. Naidu" and other names people see, the suffixes are very plain to understand. The signify the caste of the person (except for Rao which was a naming trend in the 50s and 60s: a lot of our parents are named thus; thankfully it died out). As for the other 4 letters in the prefix, we have already decided the surname (the first letter) is mostly toponomical. *

The "V" often found in Telugu names is directly related to Lord Venkateshwara, who is a family God of sorts for all Telugu people. The others can be "Veera Venkata" (in case of VV) for Satyanarayana Swami at Annavaram, N for Narasimha (Simhachalam), SS for Sathya Sai (after the Godman) etc. These "honorifics", honoring the Gods in the name relate to the worshipping traditions in that family, the "mokkus" (or conditional wishes) parents undertake before/during birth etc.

But I really doth protest everyone else lampooning us. Long names are on the wane in Telugu realms nowadays, the rage has become unknown/unheard fancy names. Soon all of you alongwith us will be wishing it was the former rather than the latter. :p

* - Naming conventions also evidently, vary by caste, but to go into that would require a mini-thesis of sorts). On the upside, Telugus can easily identify other Telugus based on the surnames, on the downside, most often their castes as well.

Why are South Indian names often long? - Quora

Tamil Nadu/ some parts of Kerala

Tamil Nadu/ some parts of Kerala

The name may be long, but it makes perfect sense.

• So, Tamilian names are either alternate names of Gods, names of villages.
  • Some people append an 'Iyer' or something of that sort - that is their caste, and they 'fix' it as a surname.
  • The more mellifluous the name, the better.
  • The usage of long names has reduced due to the necessity to repeatedly spell the name in official forms and the sheer effort it takes to explain people - hence my official name (Abhishek).
    This is a recent trend.
  • There are naming conventions which ensure that the long names propagate - for example, in Tamil Brahmins, the eldest son would be named after the paternal grandfather, the second son would be named after the maternal grandfather, and so on. (similarly for daughters and grandmothers). This ensures that there isn't much flexibility w.r.t. the 'traditional' name.

Andhra Pradesh

Append the caste, village name, father's name - and you've gotten a long name.
Add the family profession into the equation, and you could end up with a potential tongue twister.
This is usually kept short for official purposes - mostly the first name and one of the other names.

Karnataka

Simpler. Mostly follows <given name> <father's name> <last name>, but the names are again derived from the names of Gods/villages/castes, and that results in 'long' names.

Why are South Indian names often long? - Quora

Now the in thing is to name the child in cosultation with Numerologist

Zutsi and zoysa are the name 2 children of one Brahmin family! one boy one girl- guess who is the boy and who is the girls ?

Now the in thing is to name the child in cosultation with Numerologist

Zutsi and zoysa are the name 2 children of one Brahmin family! one boy one girl- guess who is the boy and who is the girls ?

Zutshi is a Kashmiri Surname..some guys in college had that surname.

I wonder why would anyone want to keep a surname as their 1st name?

Just like in Tamil movie of the Shivaji Ganesan era..he had acted many times as Superintendent of Police S.P Chaudhry!

Chaudhry is Jaat surname also a common title used by Zamindars in certain parts of North and North East India.

I have also seen people of South origin with first names like Sharma,Varma,Ghandi and Bose...not knowing that all these are surnames!

Last edited:
OP is to explain how in olden days Tamil Brahmins used to name their Babies, subsequent posts are about Telugu and Kannada People.

It has nothing to do with how modern couples are naming their babies or names used in Tamil Movies .

Just curious. But how does a name given by some person who has expertise in this so called art of naming humans determine the future of the baby?

Dear Renu and J J Ji,

Any OP by P J Sir is to be appreciated. He will thank the member immediately! :)

But, no need to post any other details and make the thread grow! :nono:

BTW, I have heard a mAmi call her dear son as 'DEy! KadangArA KrishnA'!! :rant:

This is not Generation next name - Kamatchi This is PJ's era name - Kamatchi, Kalyani etc seem to be sex neutal We have Maamis common But men also have these Names - Names like Pichai Kuppu are they Gods name? Pitchai seems secular - Alla Pitchai Aala vudu!!!

But, no need to post any other details and make the thread grow! :nono: you mean Kinathu Thavalai!

images

Last edited:
Dear J J Ji,

A name board in Sing. Chennai, near Thiruvanmiyur, reads '
இரா. பிச்சை'! (ராப்பிச்சை!?)

I am sure Mr. Picchai would be angry with his father for having his name starting with
இரா!! :mad2:

Dear J J Ji,

A name board in Sing. Chennai, near Thiruvanmiyur, reads '
இரா. பிச்சை'! (ராப்பிச்சை!?)

I am sure Mr. Picchai would be angry with his father for having his name starting with
இரா!! :mad2:

Making fun about names is fine .But (ராப்பிச்சை!?) should not create a Pagal surchais!

Members are requested to think twice before posting as it might hurt the sentiments of others!!

All names are good, J J Ji! :clap2: What I posted is just an info.
P.S: I HOPE the OP will not shout at ettuk kattai to get an uruttuk kattai ! :scared:

Dear Renu and J J Ji,

Any OP by P J Sir is to be appreciated. He will thank the member immediately! :)

But, no need to post any other details and make the thread grow! :nono:

BTW, I have heard a mAmi call her dear son as 'DEy! KadangArA KrishnA'!! :rant:

One of my grandfather's cousins, my grandmother once told me, used to be called "Sankara paavi" (meaning 'sankara, the paapi!) by his mother, because he was very naughty in his childhood. This cousin grew up to become a very wealthy and successful lawyer!

One of my grandfather's cousins, my grandmother once told me, used to be called "Sankara paavi" (meaning 'sankara, the paapi!) by his mother, because he was very naughty in his childhood. This cousin grew up to become a very wealthy and successful lawyer!
Even that 'K . Krishna' about whom I mentioned is now a leading IT professional. :thumb:

Now parents have just Onne Onnu Kanne Kannu...It can be Bubloo, Appu, Kannaaa....No question of calling taunting names...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back