• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Naagpanchami

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

cobra.webp

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India has sent a letter to the Bedia Federation of India, Organization of World Bedia and Snake Charmers, urging them to encourage the use of fake snakes in place of real ones during this year's Naagpanchami among the snake charming community. The Naagpanchami will be celebrated on July 23.

PETA included some samples of realistic fake snakes along with the letter. A statement issued by PETA said Naagpanchami is held to honour the serpent god. But, instead of receiving tribute, though, these fascinating reptiles are abused and tortured. It is a crime to hunt, capture, own, use, harm or kill snakes under the Wildlife Protection Act of 1972. Yet snakes are still cruelly captured in suffocating bags, kept in tiny boxes and starved. Their teeth are violently torn out, and many snakes' mouths are sewn shut in a highly painful manner by the snake charmers.

"Snake charming makes a mockery of Naagpanchami by turning it into a festival of animal torture", says PETA India campaign coordinator Chani Singh.

"In addition to other abuses, charmers force the snakes to drink milk, which causes them to become dehydrated and often leads to dysentery and even death. Also, the snakes' venom ducts are often pierced with a hot needle, which causes the glands to burst. Some snakes go blind when the 'tikka', which is applied to their hoods during pooja, trickles into their eyes," he added. The 'dance' that snakes perform is actually a fearful reaction to the charmers' pipes, which snakes view as threats.

Many people have switched to using plastic and wooden snakes after India banned sewing snakes' mouths shut and pouring milk down their throats, the statement added.

I officially hereby invite madam VR Ji to have a nice time in this thread.
I know she is scared of Snakes!!LOL

Madam VR Ji are you reading this?

Snakes are really scary as I know off.
Both my brothers had strange encounters with snakes when they were young.

A priest told my father that my elder brother had a risk of being bitten by a snake at the age of 6.
My father did not believe the priest and on my elder brothers sixth birthday sure enough a cobra was under his chair and tried to bite him.

My father at that time so happened was holding his golf stick with him and threw the golf stick at the snake and the snake died.

Then my father went to see the priest and the priest told my father that it was Naag Panchami and a snake should never be killed on that day.

So my father had to do some Pariharams for that incident.

Then when my younger brother was born and when he was a year old..he was sleeping on the carpet and my mum came to carry him and she saw a cobra with it's hood open right above my younger brother's head.

That snake quietly left without harming my brother.

Thank God I never had any snake encounters.

Last edited:
I love Aadi Velli days. My wife ( and myself) don't like Nagapanchami for the bitter memories it brings for us.

இன்று காலை இலக்கிய பீடம் புஸ்தகம் படித்தென் அதில், ல் ச ர வின் மனவி தன் வாழ்கை குறிப்புக்களை ஒரு டயரி குறிப்பு தொடர் பொல எழுதபோகிறார். முணோட்டம் போல இந்த இதழில் சில குறிப்புக்களை எழுதி உள்ளார். அற்புதமான நடை. ஓரு குறிப்பு அவரின் உறவினர் பையன் எப்படி பாம்பு கொத்தியதால் இறக்கிறான் என்பதை எழுதி இருகிறார். Will try & post that part. BTW of late we have had lot of photos flaoting in the net about sighting of five hood snake in Karnataka.. could have been like a FREAK of five snakes “5 ஒட்டிய பிறவி” .

This video and the comment by the person who uploaded, will explain! But very very old news ... 2010!!

Ten Headed Cobra - YouTube

Uploaded by febing123 on May 20, 2010

I had posted this video in response to a guy who had created a fake photo of a 5-headed cobra, and

yes its only nine heads, lost count and yes it was created with photoshop :) Its just 25 secs so that

u won't waste seeing 1-2 min fake videos, SORRY if i wasted 25 secs of ur life :) Cheers

இன்று காலை இலக்கிய பீடம் புஸ்தகம் படித்தென் .........
என் 'எடிட்டர்' கண்களுக்கு நிறைய எழுத்துப் பிழைகள் தெரிகின்றன! கவனம் தேவை!! :ranger:

Today being Nag Panchami, the focus will be on snakes. Snake charmers will abound and people will perform all kinds of rituals for and using snakes.

However, please remember that snakes are also mute animals and therefore, don't torture them to fulfil any bizarre ritual.

Though their image is a deadly one, but what if we are deadlier, throwing stones at them out of fear or making them forced participants in a ritual. Even removing their venom and carrying them around in a cloth sack is not particularly appealing to a snake, I'm sure. They must feel suffocated and starved. Of what use is puja if we are torturing animals in the process? In fact, under the Wildlife Protection Act, it is a crime to hunt, capture, own, use, harm and kill snakes. of 1972.

The People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has issued a statement, urging the snake charmers’ community to use fake snakes in place of real ones during this year's Nag Panchami. The organisation has also sent samples of fake snakes that looked as good as the real. PETA said that though Nag Panchami was a festival meant to honour snakes, these scary but fascinating animals were being abused and tortured. PETA has also highlighted that snakes' teeth are violently pulled out and sometimes, their mouths are also sewn! Imagine the cruelty towards a mute animal.

Says PETA India campaign coordinator Chani Singh, "Snake charming makes a mockery of Naagpanchami by turning it into a festival of animal torture. In addition to other abuses, charmers force the snakes to drink milk, which causes them to become dehydrated and often leads to dysentery and even death. Also, the snakes' venom ducts are often pierced with a hot needle, which causes the glands to burst. Some snakes go blind when the 'tikka', which is applied to their hoods during pooja, trickles into their eyes. And the dance that snakes perform is actually a fearful reaction to the snake charmers' pipes, which snakes view as threats."

என் 'எடிட்டர்' கண்களுக்கு நிறைய எழுத்துப் பிழைகள் தெரிகின்றன! கவனம் தேவை!! :ranger:
Sorry Raji maam, still not got control over the tamil typing. Henceforth will make sure such errors are not there before posting. Cheers!!

Sorry Raji maam, still not got control over the tamil typing. .......
Please check each word for correct spelling and if wrong, either left click ON the word or use back space, to get the options.

One word 'ஸொண்டி' - sonti (means left handed person) gave me lot of trouble, as I could not get the letter 'ஸொ'.

'sonti' gave me only these options: சொண்டி, சண்டி, சொந்தி, சொன்டி, சோந்தி! I had to type 'soa' - ஸொஅ, add with

'anti' - அண்டி and then delete the extra letter ! :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back