• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Myths About Wealth Creation

prasad1

Human Beings learn critical life lessons in two ways Instructional way and Experiential way. Lessons that humans learn from others experience are easy lessons … for example we all were taught in the childhood that fire can burn our skin. We did not have to experience it to learn it. But there are lessons that are unfortunately not taught to most of us and hence are learnt hard way. Financial lessons are mostly learned the hard way as our formal education system barely touches them. It is for this reason that a lot of basic financial lessons, like the power of compounding or real returns are not known to masses during their active working life. These lessons are learnt after paying a huge cost in real life and most times at an advanced age.

I also learnt a few financial lessons during my 25 years of working life the hard way. One pays a heavy price for each of the lessons. In order to share these lessons to the younger generation, I share here the Myths about Wealth Creation that were there in my mind early in my career and got busted over the years.
Creating wealth in long term to achieve financial freedom is a goal for many of us. It’s like diligently investing in yourself, education and knowledge, learning the basics, understanding risk and reward, taking appropriate risk where required.

But people generally have misconceptions which pull them back from building wealth and eventually puts a full stop to their financial independence.

Myth – People who earn more are rich.
One of the biggest myths that becomes a hurdle in the journey of wealth creation. My grandfather taught me at a young age a lesson that I believe should be imbibed into every youngster.
Its not what you eat, but what you digest that makes you Healthy
Its not what you read, but what you absorb that makes you Wise
Its not what you Earn but what you save (and judiciously invest) that makes you Wealthy
Saving is the first step in the journey to Wealth Creation. Someone who earns 10 lakhs a month may not progress on the path to Wealth Creation if he doesn’t save any money while his driver who earns 30 thousand a month may be able to create Wealth, if he diligently saves a part of his earnings and invests judiciously.

The value of this lesson – Spend less than what you earn - is immense if someone learns this at a young age.

Myth – Investment requires a lot of money
Many people think they need to wait until they have accumulated a large sum of money to be able to invest but honestly, that’s just a limiting belief. The fact is you can start investing in mutual funds with a sum as less as ₹500 per month. Choose a fund that fits your risk profile perfectly or take a help from an advisor to start your journey of wealth creation.
Myth - We know all wonders of the World
We were taught about 7 wonders of the world in our school. But no one taught us what Albert Einstein called the 8 the wonder of world – Magic of Compounding. He said “Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it earns it… he who doesn’t… pays it.”
Compounding essentially works on 2 principles:
Reinvestment of earnings
Time
The concept is based on time value of money, which means the value of money changes depending upon when it is received.
You do not need a large investible corpus to create wealth, the power of systematic investment is unlocked through compounding and the key to its success is discipline.
The two most critical aspect of Magic of Compounding is Return and Time. The true magic can not be witnessed in the absence of any one of them. Regular reploughing the return earned over a long period of time can create Wealth that is unbelievable to most
by
Deepak Mehta
Head – SIP, National Distributors and Retail Banks
UTI Mutual Fund

Please note that The article is biased and one-sided.

It all comes to mindset and discipline.
Key decision - Get rich quick by taking risks so one can enjoy in youth OR Get rich slowly, by the time you cross 60 and retire comfortably.

1. Get rich quick by taking risks happens only to the 0.01% (no statistics, but more a reasonable guesstimate) of the people. Most lose money and shirt and pant by trying to do this.

2. Get rich slowly - far higher % of success and many in this forum and elsewhere can attest to this.

So what should a young kid do ?

1. If your parents are well settled and willing to fund your lifestyle for some years, take "calculated risks". No time like today. Simple you tubers are making millions, new startups can be sold for millions in just under a few years, etc..

2. If your parents are not rich, then stick to a normal job, earn money, and save regularly. Have a weekend gig or passion, become a part time blogger, or etc..and build this secondary income, that can give you a shot at becoming rich.

3. Most importantly, do course correction. Let's say, you started a business and it is not doing well, exit by selling it or closing it down. Very few people have the stomach to do what an Elon musk or Steve jobs did. Cut your losses and get back to traditional wealth building of a regular job and savings.

4. Lastly, competition is unbelievable today unlike 30 to 40 yrs back. So even if you put in your very best effort, someone else can pip the post to riches. Don't worry, al your efforts become life experiences and you can plough it back elsewhere later.

Latest ads

Back