• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

My Bucket List...Songs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Members, Happy New Year to every one of you.

My wife mentioned about some of her bucket list. That girl has some wild bucket list..... good luck to her. She asked me about my bucket list; i said, my primary bucket list is listening to few great songs.

Well, tonight, I cooked using 'Sakthi Masala'; I had some 'Jack Daniels'; she had some 2004 vintage red wine... She sat with me with her legs on my lap, enjoying my cooking (it was bloddy good!) said ... 'Dey, what are the songs in your bucket list?'.... I silently gave her the ear phones.....

Here we go......

Ilayaraja Hits - Swathi Muthyam - Rama Kanavemira - YouTube

(Dedicated to my wife. She was bold enough to marry the boy who had nothing.....).

Cheers!

Last edited:
Greetings.

I don't know if this happen to others or not; some of the songs are etched in my mind with the sorroundings, weather and circumstances I went through when I first heard that song. The following song takes me to my third home ( india being the first and Australia being the second), in Pottageville, Ontario, Canada; particularly in the winter. Pottageville is a village with acerage properties with houses placed widely apart, with a thick sheet of ice covered all over the place in the winter, sounds conducting crystal clear from Highway 400, silence in the house during the daytime while everyone was out ( I was working in the night shifts)..... memories of my third home, sweet memories I experienced in Ontario... few more songs bring me this same memories too..

Raghuvamsha[Symphony] - YouTube

Cheers!

Last edited:
Dear Members, Happy New Year to every one of you.

My wife mentioned about some of her bucket list. That girl has some wild bucket list..... good luck to her. She asked me about my bucket list; i said, my primary bucket list is listening to few great songs.

Well, tonight, I cooked using 'Sakthi Masala'; I had some 'Jack Daniels'; she had some 2004 vintage red wine... She sat with me with her legs on my lap, enjoying my cooking (it was bloddy good!) said ... 'Dey, what are the songs in your bucket list?'.... I silently gave her the ear phones.....

Here we go......

Ilayaraja Hits - Swathi Muthyam - Rama Kanavemira - YouTube

(Dedicated to my wife. She was bold enough to marry the boy who had nothing.....).

Cheers!

You get Shakthi Masala in Australia? I don't know if its the same made in Msia Shakthi Masala you are talking about.

Dear Sri Raghav Ji,

One item on my bucket list would be a scenario you describe with your dear wife - but of course, substituting mine with yours! :)

Dear Srimathi Renuka Ji,

At least this much I can account for my 65 years on this earth! :)

Regards,
KRS

You get Shakthi Masala in Australia? I don't know if its the same made in Msia Shakthi Masala you are talking about.

Sowbagyavathy Renuka, Greetings.

Yes, it's the same Sakthi Masala. We get all sorts of masalas in Australia. I keep in stock about half dozen different masalas in my kitchen. Theme of my cooking is anybody's guess! I usually decide only just before cooking.

Cheers!

Greetings.

During my primary school years, on the week ends when ever my father and my grand mother were happy, I used to cherish those days. Every year during the 'Thyagaraja Ulsavam' period, both of them would listen to various songs in the radio. They used to discuss so much technicality about Carnatic music; some times my mother chipping in too. I never understood any of those in those days. But one song was etched in my memory. I noticed my father loved that song. I came across that song many years later. That Thyagaraja Krithi is one more song in my bucket list.

Sadhim Chane - Sopanam (1994) KJ Yesudas, TN Seshagoapalan, KS Chithra, Manju - YouTube

Cheers!

Last edited:
Greetings.

During my technical training, I had an accident at the end of 2nd year and couldn't appear for the final exams; could not pass to third year. I had to wait one year to reappear the exam. For my father, career options were very simple - either a student pass out from IIT and settle down in life, failing which understands himself to be fit only to sell murukku in one of the cinema theaters. He actually believed it! So, when I was home after the accident, he could not find enough words in Tamizh language to scold me. :D By that time I was 17 yrs old and had enough of that nonsense. Once I fixed my hands reasonably well, I got myself a job in the nearby பட்டறை!:eek:hwell: Life was good. I was getting Rs.75 per month, gave myself one rupee a day, paid the balance to my mum.

That was when I came across Annamalai.

Annamalai failed in English in his Pre-Technical course in the polytechnic and waiting to reappear the exam. He was facing tough times at home, was told to tend the buffalo to make himself useful (literally). He could not understand the secret of my happiness although I was in a similar circumstance. I showed him the power of one rupee per day; I showed him, by gaining an employment, I was gaining self confidence. I explained him, 'தலைக்கு மேலே தண்ணீர் போகிறது; ஜான் போனால் என்ன, முழம் போனால் என்ன?', I couldn't change it; might as well enjoy it! Well, he got a job in the same place with me; I asked him to speak only in English to improve his English, which did. One day he said 'டேய் அய்யரே! எனக்கு தன்னம்பிக்கை மட்டும் வரல்லைடா; ஒரு திமிர்த்தனமே வந்து விட்டது! he went on to pass in 1st class.

Our life at that time was.....Andavan Padachan - YouTube.flv - YouTube

Cheers!

Greetings.

I developed a close friendship with John while I was working in a பட்டறை. When I was continuing my training, my frienship with John continued. At one time John was hanging with someone in Gajendra Lodge, Mount Road, Chennai. It was just across L.I.C building. I visted him few times. One very warm night, we couldn't sleep; fan had no effect. Pat midnight, we came out to have a cup of 'masala tea' in hotel Impala. We stayed outside to watch Mount Road 'past midnight'. I noticed this tired looking prostitute trying to score a hit. I watched her trying two times and getting knocked back. John asked her how was the 'business'; she said 'சாயங்காலம் தொட்டு இன்னும் போணி கூட ஆவலை!' ; then a real posh car pulled up. She went and tried her luck there, but didn't succeed. I commented she need not have tried that posh car. She said 'சால் உட்டா சீல்! இதெல்லாம் பாக்க முடியுமா?' I asked her the meaning of 'சால் உட்டா சீல்' ; she said it's like 'you have to be in it to win it; if you lose, don't take it personally'. (She scored only by 3 in the morning). I liked her philosophy in life. Needless to say, I adopted that too.

In dedication to that prostitute.. ennada pollatha vazhkai - YouTube

Cheers!

Greetings.

Until I was about 16-17 years old, I did not actually enjoy Tamizh songs for their lyrics. I enjoyed the music, but not the songs. Mostly, I liked devotional songs. I seldom paid attention to a huge segment of Tamizh songs. What's more, I had a 'know it all attitude' too.

In the village, I was hanging out with some kids. I was quite concerned about my future, career options, employment etc. One of the kids said I was taking the life too serious. I knew that kid was not quite educated. So, I challenged him to explain himself. He said I and other kids like me (He actually said - "Brahmin kids like you"; but he was not derogatory) take life too seriously, miss out enjoying the life. He showed an exampe- he said I was annoyed with loud songs from the loud speakers ( In our village, we get songs for everything be it, wedding, பூப்படைதல், மாரியம்மனுக்குக் கூழ்... for any excuse!). I said such songs were just noise pollutions. He said he learned a lot from such songs! I could not believe it! ( He was a helper to a மேஸ்திரி. in 2010 I noticed, he was the local contractor). Just for an example, he asked me to listen to one song with an open mind...

I thought about what he said. He made sense. From that time, I started enjoying the music. Importantly, I started appreciating enjoyable segments of otherwise cumbersome situations. The song he mentioned stayed in my memory... quite a good song too! Here is that song...

Unnai Arinthal Nee Unnai Arinthal...... - YouTube

Cheers!

Greetings.

Until I was about 27 years old, I did not chant any slokams. I neither knew nor had any inclination. Then I took interest in Sundara Kaanda Paarayanam. Strangely enough, that was my first attempt. Then I learned to chant 'Vishnu Sahasranamam' from my wife. Then later on, I learned to chant Rudram from an audio tape.

My bucket list will not be completed with out Vishnu Sahasranamam and Rudram.

Next two chantings or songs I would like to listen in my bucket list are -

Sri Vishnu Sahasranamam - Vishnu Sahasranamam Full - YouTube

Sri Rudram & Chamakam - Shiva Rudram Full Namakam-Chamakam Devanagari Sanskrit English Translations.wmv - YouTube

That concludes my bucket list. I started this thread out of the blue. While posting my bucket list, I listened to them too. In effect, my bucket list is completed as far as listening to songs go! I guess, I am ready to kick the bucket any time now!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back