• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

siganeswarie

Indian classical music is based on the ragas ("colors"), which are scales and melodies that provide the foundation for a performance. Unlike western classical music, that is deterministic, Indian classical music allows for a much greater degree of "personalization" of the performance, almost to the level of jazz-like improvisation. Thus, each performance of a raga is different. The goal of the raga is to create a trancey state, to broadcast a mood of ecstasy. The main difference with western classical music is that the Indian ragas are not "composed" by a composer, but were created via a lengthy evolutionary process over the centuries. Thus they do not represent mind of the composer but a universal idea of the world. They transmit not personal but impersonal emotion. Another difference is that Indian music is monodic, not polyphonic. Hindustani (North Indian) ragas are assigned to specific times of the day (or night) and to specific seasons. Many ragas share the same scale, and many ragas share the same melodic theme. There are thousands of ragas, but six are considered fundamental: Bhairav, Malkauns, Hindol, Dipak, Megh and Shree. A raga is not necessarily instrumental, and, if vocal, it is not necessarily accompanied. But when it is accompanied by percussion (such as tablas), the rhythm is often rather intricate because it si constructed from a combination of fundamental rhythmic patterns (or talas). The main instrument of the ragas is the sitar, although historically the vina zither was at least equally important. Carnatic (Southern Indian) ragas constitute one of the oldest systems of music in the world. They are based on seven rhythmic cycles and 72 fundamental ragas. The founder of the Karnataka school is considered to be Purandara Dasa (1494). Carnatic music is mostly vocal and devotional in nature, and played with different instruments than Hindustani music (such as the mridangam drum, the ghatam clay pot, the vina sitar as opposed to sitar, sarod, tambura and tabla). The fundamental format of Carnatic songs is the "kriti", which are usually set in the style of a raga (the raga serves as the melodic foundation). The golden age of Carnatic music was the age of Syama Sastri, who died in 1827, of Tyagaraja, who died in 1847 and who composed the Pancharatna Krithis as well as two "operas", Prahalada Bhakti Vijayam and Nauca Charitam, and of Muthuswami Dikshitar, who died in 1835 after composing the Kamalamba Navavarnams and the Navagraha krithis.

music relax mind
it energize our body
it reduce stress

Happiness feels a lot like sorrow
Let it be, you can't make it come or go
But you are gone- not for good but for now
Gone for now feels a lot like gone for good

Happiness is a firecracker sitting on my headboard
Happiness was never mine to hold
Careful child, light the fuse and get away
‘Cause happiness throws a shower of sparks

Happiness damn near destroys you
Breaks your faith to pieces on the floor
So you tell yourself, that's enough for now
Happiness has a violent roar

oh happiness u makes my heart peace
make me float in ocean without stress in mind'
makes myself fly in sky
without worries
shine my faced with smile
so lovely happiness
it my day

Last edited:
as i enjoy reading the above posts on music and the short verse about happiness, i write a short note here on music in relation to therapy&happiness --Music, for Happiness, for Therapy: Music Season, almost through the year! chennai is singing! in Pune, they have 'aaradhanai' sessions and (this week) BanyanTree's Dakshinayan Music Festival!.......music appreciation is closely linked with the natural 'mathematics' in the human system -- sense of mathematics that makes eyes work out depth&three dimensions through trigonometry, judge distances, and ears likewise (through doppler?), brain co-ordinate a lot of functions with mathematical precision, and control the bio clock: ‎...and, music has all that mathematics in its complete form! so, through some mathematical bonding, music and the human system seem to be mutually very compatible, accounting for not only the aesthetic appeal of music, but also the therapeutic effect. an apt quote: "Mathematics is conceptual music, Music is sensuous mathematics"!

That good mr rajuvish
when feel music in within ourself
flowing in our body
our mind the power IN OUR SOUL
it heal all the sorrow
makes mind energetic
MAKES OUR DAY SHINES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back