• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Murthi Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sri il-guy Ji,

I was hoping that some of our very learned folks would have answered yourquestion. I know you have come in to following our Dharma recently.

In my humble opinion, only the pictures/idols that were performed pujas/rites to should be 'properly dissolved'. Just a picture that adorns a wall, need not be sent out with such a ritual.

In India where each year countless number of calendars and pictures of Gods/Goddesses published in various Diwali special edition magazines are thrown out with other garbage.

Others who may view this point differently can speak to this.

Pranams,
KRS

Namaste,

I know we are supposed to put broken murthis in water, but does it still apply to murthis we aren't doing puja too? I have an acrylic picture of Sri Kali that has a corner broken off. Does this need to be consigned to water? If so, are there any special mantras or ceremony? Thanks.

God bless,

Ganapathi Narayana

This is more of a matter of faith than laid down norms. When the Krishna idol in the Dakshineswar temple fell down and broke, Sri Ramakrishna was in favour of mending the idol and continuing the Puja. He said "if your son breaks a leg, do you condemn him?". The others did not accept his advice. But Sri Ramakrishna mended the idol and you can see the mended idol in Dakshineswar today.

In Suchindram in Tamil Nadu the Hanuman idol was laying on the ground half buried for a long time because of a defect in the sculpture. But earlier in this century it was dug out and consecrated. you can see the idol now. Suchindram has become famous for Hanuman now.

Yes. It does make a difference whether the murthi is consecrated or not. But then how many of us know how to consecrate a Murti. I have hundreds of Murthis and paintings of Deities all over my house. These are from the days when I was interested in Hindu Iconography. But only the idols in the Puja room are worshipped. If a Murthi breaks, I get it mended.

In your case You need not discard the picture. Get the picture mended.

Murthy Question.

Dear friend,

As per the Pooja Vidhanam that is being followed by house holders, the idol or Murthy becomes worthy of Pooja when the person consecrates the same. Generally all poojas start with Samkalpam, Avahanam and consecration by Pranaprathishta. Then the Pooja is performed as per the procedures and concluded with Nevedhanam, Harathi, samarpanam and visarjanam. Once these are completed we generally move the Idol from the place of worship. This I have seen years ago when my grand mother used to perform daily pooja. In the case of other idols and pictures we need not do any thing since they are not consecrated for Pooja. What you have is only an Artifact and it is upto you to decide whether to keep the same or not.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Namaste,

I know we are supposed to put broken murthis in water, but does it still apply to murthis we aren't doing puja too? I have an acrylic picture of Sri Kali that has a corner broken off. Does this need to be consigned to water? If so, are there any special mantras or ceremony? Thanks.

God bless,

Ganapathi Narayana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back