• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Mother theresa - the person

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

I am a born hindu and oppose any forced or coerced conversion to any religion. Religion is a personal thing and everyone should have the right to choose their own religion. I do not have much of faith in any organized religion.
My values are derived from my background.

I did not like that mother theresa had a leper colony in close proximity to my childhood home.
Having said that let me defend the person we call mother Theresa.

Firstly I'd just like to state what might be a simplistic and yet fundamental reason why I find criticism of Mother Teresa extremely hard to hear: who are we, sitting in our office or in the comfort of our home in our cocoon-like world, hiding behind books and computers, to criticize a woman who abandoned everything to spend her life and bring attention to the forgotten of this world? The day someone will lead a similar life to Mother Teresa's and still criticize the way she acted, then I will truly respect that opinion. But unsurprisingly that day still hasn't come.

The sick and dying do not receive appropriate care, despite the amount of money donated to the charity each year: this has been an ongoing criticism of the Missionaries of Charity. One simple answer: yes they do care for them appropriately and even if they didn't, to the risk of sounding extremely harsh to some, it's better than dying on the street.

Most of the people the sisters care for are physically and mentally handicapped, or very old and very sick. They live in places of the world where it's hard enough to survive when you are young and healthy. I have seen the sisters do everything they can to make these people's lives better and I have seen their heart ripped apart when a little girl died one morning in Cuzco, even though they are so strongly convinced that being with God is so much better than being on this planet. Yes, maybe if that little girl had gone to an expensive hospital in America she would have lived longer. But the fact is that she couldn't go to that hospital, and ultimately she had a far better life than the one she would have had had the sisters left her in the garbage they found her in.

Her fundamental belief is that everyone, absolutely everyone in this world deserves love and care. She cherished every single life on this planet more than anyone ever did, and that's why she created the Missionaries of Charity: to help and welcome the poorest of the poor, those whose life had not been judged worthy enough to live and who had been rejected by everything and everyone.

Mother Teresa created 517 missions in 100 countries, helped hundreds of thousands of people, and inspired generations of volunteers all over the world: to me that's a far bigger miracle.

So to all the Mother Teresa haters: if you don't like her, that's your right and I respect it. But please, do not waste all this time writing studies or articles on her that have no other value than being controversial enough to be published. Pick your battles. Surely there are a lot worse people than her in this world who deserve your energy! And if Mother Teresa did such a bad job helping others, why not save that time spent criticizing her to instead try to make a difference in this world?
Inspired by:
Celeste Owen-Jones: A Response To Mother Teresa's Critics

I have no idea why we need to over rate or under rate Mother Theresa.

To a certain extent we Hindus are good at praising other religion personalities but at the same time view our own Hindu personalities as fraud/fake Guruji/fake this and fake that.

Any charity done by a Non Hindu is viewed as "Oh how great yaar..what charity yaar..how great etc"

Any charity done by a Hindu personality will be "How did he get the money?? must be all black money from his high profile devotees"

That time no one will say 'Oh he is selfless..what a good heart..what a Karna born again"

So I think we have been through the same cock and bull enough times.

I have no problems with what Mother Theresa does..if you ask me my opinion about her..this is what I think about her:

1)Yes..she did charity

2)But not selfless..cos she converted people.
A true Saint will NOT convert a person.

So on the charity scale she has done a good job but on the selfless scale..I don't think she was selfless.
We can not say that she was just following her religion which dictates people to be converted cos a truly great soul will look beyond religion and not increase the tribe of their own.

So give me a break..we should just look at Mother Theresa as a person who did a lot of charity and helped the poor and no need to over rate or under rate her.

Last edited:
sorry, change your Opinion about her. you read the latest research on her. i do not hate her, but do not waste time in writing about her. that all i can say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back