• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Mother’s Love: Gandhari’s First Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this true? That Mandodari married Vibheshana after the death of Ravan?
Cos I just read this online.
If this is true that means 4 out of 5 of the Panchakanyas had more than 1 husband/partner.

Hey why is Kali yuga alone One Man One Wife???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandodari

After the death of Ravana, Rama advises Vibhishana to take Mandodari as his wife, even though he already has a wife. A theory suggests that Ravana's race may have had matrilineal families and thus, to restore order in the kingdom after Ravana's death, it was necessary for Vibhishana to marry the reigning queen to get the right to rule.[SUP][13][/SUP] Another theory suggests it may be a non-Aryan custom to marry the reigning queen.[SUP][12][/SUP] The marriage between Mandodari and Vibhishana is purely an "act of statesmanship", rather than a marriage based on their "mutual sexual interference".[SUP][13][/SUP] Mandodari may have agreed to marry Vibhishana, her younger brother-in-law, as this would lead the kingdom to prosperity and stability as allies of Rama's Ayodhya, and she would continue to have a say in governance.[SUP][12][/SUP] Another reason for the marriage is as an alternative to suicide for the widowed Mandodari, which is averted by Rama.

Last edited:
We are discussing about Pancha Kanya born some centuries ago, not about the women of present day.

What is the original reference to panchakanyas. Perhaps that will give a clue to why they were considered?

All are from different kulams - rishi to vanara to rakshasa.

Dear PJ sir,

I have analysed the Pancha Kanya list and have come to this diagnosis.
I feel there is a reason why Gandhari was not listed as Pancha Kanyas:

I feel all the fantastic 5 Kanyas have some link with some controversial situation or dealt with some controversial male.

1)Ahalya..she was involved in a scandal with Indra which some authors say she was tricked by Indra and some authors say that she knew halfway that it was Indra but felt elated that she was desired by the King of the Devas.
Whatever the reason it was a scandal no doubt.
So her Pancha Kanya status conferred to her is to show the world that we should not judge anyone by her actions cos we have no idea what is the real situation is.

2)Sita...the ever pure Sita was kidnapped by the powerful Ravan and held captive by him.
Conservative individuals might consider a woman impure if held captive by another male for so long.
So here again the message is not to judge anyone cos a woman's purity is based on her inner self and true feelings which was shown by Sita.

3)Draupadi...married 5 men.
Till today many might not like the idea of a woman having more than 1 husband and people might tend to judge a person who is polyandrous.
So here again ...the message is for us in not to judge anyone cos Draupadi was pure at heart and served her 5 husbands till death.

4)Tara..here again there is a polyandrous relationship controversy.
According to some versions of the Ramayan..first Tara was wed to Vaali..the when Vaali was presumed to be dead..Sugriva marries Tara.
Then like tamil movie style..Vaali shows up to reclaim his kingdom and wife Tara and all hell breaks lose.

So same message..don't judge anyone..Tara was a victim of circumstances to be involved with 2 males.

5)Mandodari..She is the wife of a most controversial male of Treta Yuga..the mighty Ravana.
Mostly people feel that the wife of a anti hero should be an anti heroine herself too but that was not the case with Mandodari.

So here again..never judge a woman solely based on her husband's character.

So Dear PJ sir..I feel now it is clear why Gandhari never made it into the top 5 Pancha Kanya lists.
She was not linked with any controversial situation and never dealt with any controversial male.
She was married to the rather passive Dhritarasthra.

Nothing wrong in making another new list - theresa, madonna, . . .

Careful which Madonna are you including in this list?

It is sad story that we can not come up with 5 contemporary women to praise. We only have these ancient mythological representative of Womanhood in India.

To paraphrase another idiom

"the good women is only the dead women".

That too a good women from a man's perspective.
An obedient, mother, homemaker, an unquestioning follower (5 steps behind the husband).
Are you sure you are looking for panch kanya and not the best slave.
Even in animal world the female species has more say than the females considered in this post.

Last edited:
Not to be facetious, but on this site the five important women in no particular order would be

Amala, Renuka, Subalakshmi, Mrs. VR, and Mrs. RR.
They are active, have opinions, and are not afraid to express it.

Try disputing that list.

Not to be facetious, but on this site the five important women in no particular order would be

They are active, have opinions, and are not afraid to express it.........
Dear Prasad Sir,

The alphabetic order would have saved your some trouble! :lol:

Thanks for the list but some controversies might crop up! :spy:

Dear Prasad Sir,

The alphabetic order would have saved your some trouble! :lol:

Thanks for the list but some controversies might crop up! :spy:

If he had given alphabetical order, then someone would have thought of the seniority order (i.e biological) and if that was provided some would say seniority of forum membership etc. etc.

They are active, have opinions, and are not afraid to express it.

Try disputing that list.

LOL! Only one Kumari in the list...Kumari Amala!

BTW Draupadi is the ultimate obedient Daughter In Law..she never went against her Mother In Laws wishes of wanting her to be equally shared with all the brothers and be their wife.

So she is still the best I feel.

Renukaji

This Pancha Kanya Sloka is not from Vedas; it is only for recitation at the time of women taking oil bath
You will not be able to trace out the author of this sloka nor the the name of the scripture anywhere.

The days differ for men and women and there is a sloka for each gender to be recited,
invoking the blessings of some great souls of yore, while applying oil on the head

For men (seven names), it is:-

Ashwthamo Balir Vyaso Hanumanshcha VibhishaNah,
Krupah Parashuramashcha,Saptaite Chiranjivinaah.

For women (five names), it is:-

Ahalya Draupadi Sita Tara Mandodari tatha
Panchakanyaah smarennityam mahaapataka naashanam
that’s all
The women mentioned here are Ahalya, Draupadi, Sita, Tara and Mandodari,
called as Pancha kanya.
Of this group, three – Ahalya, Tara, Mandodari – belong to Ramayana, the epic composed by Valmiki, the first seer-poet. Draupadi and Kunti are celebrated in Mahabharata, Harivamsa and the Markandeya, Devi Bhagavata and BhagavataPuranas

This slokam is not from Vedas because Vedas are much older than Ramayan and Mahabarata.

If he had given alphabetical order, then someone would have thought of the seniority order (i.e biological) and if that was provided some would say seniority of forum membership etc. etc.
:gossip: Do you think all the ladies will tell the real age? :D

LOL! Only one Kumari in the list...Kumari Amala!

Ahem I am not going to touch that.
My list said Important women.

By setting improbable ideal women we do grave injustice to the present generations. How many of today's girl can identify with the Punch Kanya from mythology that was being discussed.

We are also setting up our boys to fail, in finding such a Kanya.

I don't understand why my name is being dragged up by people who are not even talking to me! strange some people....

So far only one male had given up his life after his wife died.

King Aja went into a depression after his wife Indumathi died and he committed suicide.

So at least there was one male who loved his wife till he did not want to live anymore but surprisingly Aja was an ancestor of Lord Rama but Rama seemed fine when he left Sita.

Renuka Madame,

When Sita was taken back by mother earth, Sri Rama, unable to bear the sorrow of permanent separation, entered River Sarayu and attained jala samadhi.

Regards,
R.Venkata Krishnan

Renukaji

Can you define a Kumari and Kanya? what is the difference?

Ok I will give the known general meaning.

Kumari means unmarried person/virgin.

Kanya can also mean Virgin or Pure person irrespective of marital status

Renukaji

I have a different view about KANYA and KUMARI.

Hindu scriptures like the Jñanarnava Rudrayamala tantra assign different names to a Girl depending on her age.
A one year-old girl is called Sandhya,
a two year-old girl is called Sarasvati,
a child of three years of age is called Tridhamurti,
on her fourth year she is Kalika,
on fifth she is Subhaga,
on sixth she is Uma,
on her seventh year she is called Malini.
an eight year girl is called Kubjika,
on the ninth year she is Kaalasandarbha,
on reaching tenth year she is Aparajita,
on eleventh she is Rudrani,
on twelfth year she is named Bhairavi,

on thirteenth she is Mahalakshmi,

on fourteenth she is Pithanayika,
on fifteenth she is Kshetragya, and
on sixteenth years of her age she is Ambika.

So from this it is very clear Till the girl attains maturity she is Called KANYA

After that she is called KUMARI

Source:
Kumari (children) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since in those days Kanyas were Given as DAAN , it became KANYA DAAN

Now no one is married off before she reaches 18, that means she is KUMARI

Then how still we say KANYA DAAN?

This is purely academic interest question?

Do you understand my point please?

Renukaji

I have a different view about KANYA and KUMARI.

Hindu scriptures like the Jñanarnava Rudrayamala tantra assign different names to a Girl depending on her age.
A one year-old girl is called Sandhya,
a two year-old girl is called Sarasvati,
a child of three years of age is called Tridhamurti,
on her fourth year she is Kalika,
on fifth she is Subhaga,
on sixth she is Uma,
on her seventh year she is called Malini.
an eight year girl is called Kubjika,
on the ninth year she is Kaalasandarbha,
on reaching tenth year she is Aparajita,
on eleventh she is Rudrani,
on twelfth year she is named Bhairavi,

on thirteenth she is Mahalakshmi,

on fourteenth she is Pithanayika,
on fifteenth she is Kshetragya, and
on sixteenth years of her age she is Ambika.

So from this it is very clear Till the girl attains maturity she is Called KANYA

After that she is called KUMARI

Source:
Kumari (children) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since in those days Kanyas were Given as DAAN , it became KANYA DAAN

Now no one is married off before she reaches 18, that means she is KUMARI

Then how still we say KANYA DAAN?

This is purely academic interest question?

Do you understand my point please?

Dear Sir,

Then we can just call its Stri Daan..

Stri means female..solves all the problem.

Renukaji

Stri means Female but does not say married or unmarried.

So KUMARI DAAN is perfectly ok.

The Present TN Chief Minister is Called 'SELVI' which means Kumari only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back