• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Modern Science in our Scriptures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear sri Nara and smt. HH,

Yes. You are right. Now some friends of mine - physicists, engineers, doctors and
other disciplines - have had a seminar to exchange views on this subject. They
have decided to study our scriptures in depth and find out ways and means of
utilising its contents for the good of humanity. Governement's funding of their
project would facilitate the research, but no one is interested.

My interest is limited to the extent of trying to make good use of our scriptures
and not to put forward any claims of superiority.

namaste smt. HH.

How about the nature of consciousness that our Vedas and UpaniShads define to be transcendental, but manifests as universal consciousness in the world and as the 'I' in the individuals?

This is as yet an undiscovered fact of science, which is struggling with the physical brain for an answer. There might be a day, who knows, when science would be advanced enough to go beyond the shackles of the physical.

I read somewhere that the clairvoyant and Theosophist CW Leadbeater suggested training our physicians in the art of clairvoyant consciousness to augment their research of diseases and cures. The US military is supposed to be using what it terms as 'remote viewing', which employs clairvoyants to view 'scenes' of investigations. I recently watched a lousy film titled 'Suspect Zero' on this subject, starring Ben Kingsley, who solves the murders of a serial killer using clairvoyance, but is so fed up with it that he wants someone to murder him!

Sri Saidevo -

From what I know, Vedas do not address the topics of what we call Science. Its subject matter is anything but Science.
However, the Rshis as you point out are very rational and objective. There are many ideas and concepts prevalent at Vedic times that have been shown to be somewhat true in a directional sense later under the umbrella of Science and Mathematics.

I would not like to associate Clairvoyant concepts with Vedic teaching since it will turn that into a mystical preaching.
I do not think there is any scientific concepts from Vedic times that can be directly harvested for use except in the case of Ayurvedic studies perhaps.

I continue to be intrigued if some people had figured out speed of light even if it is approximate and have correct orders of magnitude.
I am not bothered by 'speed of Sun' to mean that of the Sun rays. That is a matter of semantics and one cannot evaluate those words from thousands of years ago through the lens of today's understanding.

If the numbers calculated comes approximately close to in the order of magnitude sense as to what it is today that is a huge deal.
It is not useful other than an item of curiosity.

In the Ādityahṛdayam (आदित्यहृदयम्) Stotram worshipping Isvara in the form of SUN there is the mention of number 7 (for various qualities in verses 11 and 18 for example). Artists have portrayed Isvara in the form of SUN pulled by 7 horses. There is an interpretation that these seven rays namely. 1. Red 2. Orange 3. Yellow 4. Green 5. Blue 6. Indigo 7. Violet, are the seven horses of Surya.

All we can say is that directionally concepts of time, space, physical reality as described are in alignment with what we know. I dont think we can use such knowledge or anything else to make progress in the current field of science and technology. That is and was never goal in my opinion. It is an opinion only.

Each time science invents or discovers something, vedists will claim it was already there in the vedas. (please note am not claiming such claims are false).

Now can anyone come up with a list of things (from the vedas) that science has not yet discovered / invented? In space crafts / aeronautics ? In genetics? Physics? Medicine? Anything really...
Happy, this tendency is not unique to Hindus, but common to all major religions. They feel so insecure in the face of scientific advancement, they try to bend, twist and turn to fit already known scientific facts into their own scriptures, but never come up with anything news.

There was so much taunting about speed of light and after I showed that any number can be made to fit the text -- a range that go up to about 5 times the speed of light -- the silence is deafening. One of them even says he still believes it, so much for rationality and objectivity.

IMO, claims of Hindu Science by educated people is the worst kind of disservice to humanity, because, it promotes superstition which in turn leads many people down the path to all kinds of quick fix remedies and pariharams meant to relieve them of their hard earned money not what ails them. Have you ever found one of these "spiritual" cures that are said to cure ailments that cannot be seen with naked eye such as cancer, heart problem, etc., ever make a lost limb grow back?

People, think about it....

Cheers!

namaste everyone.

Nara says in post #53 that there is 'the silence is defeaning' to his illustration in post #40 about the varying values of the time and distance units involved in SAyaNa's speculative computation of the speed of light. Let me try to break the silence.

• Subash Kak, in his paper 'The Speed of Light and Puranic Cosmology', attempts to trace the tradition behind SAyaNa's commentary of the Rg veda mantra in question. In his paper he shows how SAyaNa's statement is consistent with both the Puranic and the standard measurements (of ArthashAstra) of yojana and nimeSha and concludes "SAyaNa’s value as speed of light must be considered the most astonishing “blind hit” in the history of science!" Here is a link to this paper: http://arxiv.org/pdf/physics/9804020

• Here is Wiki's interesting discussion on the subject:
Talk:Speed of light/Archive 2
Talk:Speed of light/Archive 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Talk:Speed of light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It would be interesting if Nara also chooses to give his analytical view about the 'molding' involved in another Rg Veda statement that is interpreted by PaNDita Gurudatta VidyArti to indicate the chemical composition of water (post #22).

Nara says in post #53 that there is 'the silence is defeaning' to his illustration in post #40 about the varying values of the time and distance units involved in SAyaNa's speculative computation of the speed of light. Let me try to break the silence.
Saidevo, I explained my objections in a manner everyone can easily understand with links to support my arguments.

But, I am forced to say, you either do a snow job that leaves me wondering what the point is, or give some tangential links with nothing that contradicts my arguments.

Why don't you directly take me on and show what is wrong with my presentation, or admit that I have a valid argument? It is sad that none from your side seem to, I repeat, "seem" to be honest enough to do that.

My point is only that all this talk of Vedic Science is retrofitting real science, and Vedic Brahminism is nothing more than blind faith, not rational. I have nothing against anyone who admits to this and prefers to go with blind faith, they are as much lovable human beings as anyone else. Problem arises only when they insists their faith is different and is somehow rational. I am still ready to love them defend their right to their delusions, but I rather they free themselves from irrational delusions. You may find this childish, that is alright, I can take it, I love children they are pure, free from all the religious poison their parents are ever so ready to fill them up with.

Cheers!

Sri Saidevo -

In the Ādityahṛdayam (आदित्यहृदयम्) Stotram worshipping Isvara in the form of SUN there is the mention of number 7 (for various qualities in verses 11 and 18 for example). Artists have portrayed Isvara in the form of SUN pulled by 7 horses. There is an interpretation that these seven rays namely. 1. Red 2. Orange 3. Yellow 4. Green 5. Blue 6. Indigo 7. Violet, are the seven horses of Surya.

The interpretation of assigning seven rays to the seven colours does not appear to be okay, because in "Aruna PraSnam" (hymns to Surya and waters, among others) no attempt has been made to co-relate the colours to the sun rays. Agni is at one place praised as the son of aditya, (vatsa) and in description of flames of agni, the colours "neela" and "peethaka" are used. In the next stanza praising rudra-gaNas, the colours "shyaamaa", "kapilaa", "athi-lohitaa" etc. are used. But in describing the sun rays, the colours are not used. One may refer to taittiriya araNyaka 1.9.34-35 and 1.7.20 for more details.

Regards,

narayan

Dear sri Nara,

It is not that I am shying away and I have explained my stand in my previous post.
I am trying to understand what the scriptures say on certain matters of interest
to me. Our great sage Kanchi Paramacharya said once that people have not
studied in depth the vedas and that is why we admire the western scientists
when we study gravitation, space and time and other discoveries.

Perhaps the scholars devoted their time to study the paravidya in preference to
the scientific theories.

It is not, as you say, blind faith. It is an investigation. Any contribution
towards this objective is more welcome than adverse comments. If your stand
is that our vedas do not contain anything worthwhile, please say so. Please
do not discourage others, for something may come out of it. Keep your mind open.

Thanks.

namaste Nara.

I don't need to do a snow job to defend any idea of finding science as we do it today, in the Vedas. Nor was it my intention to 'retrofit' anything, since I had already given the link to Subash Kak's essay, "Sayana's Astronomy", wherein he has concluded Sayana's statement as a reference to the speed of light, is a 'coincidence'.

• The two links I gave in my post #54, were meant to establish the right context of Sayana's discovery: that it should find a place in the history of the discovery of the speed of light, although it might be deemed as a 'coincidence'.

‣ This means that when science text books for students mention Galileo's attempt to measure the speed of light with lanterns, they should also mention SAyaNa's discovery, albeit with qualifications, instead of ignoring or dismissing it.

‣ When humanity's quest for knowledge is chronicled, the true scientist/scholar/researcher/historian cannot afford to be selective, lest he should lose his credibility.

• Subash Kak himself followed up his first essay, doing research on the traditional values of the Hindu distance and time measurements, and has established in his second essay "The Speed of Light and Puranic Cosmology", that they don't affect SAyaNa's discovery, although he still considers it as a 'blind hit'.

• We should note specifically that the value of a yojana given in the arthashAstra (written in 3rd/4th century BCE), which is slightly over 9.0 miles (approx.) became in all probability a standard by SAyaNa's time (14th century CE), at least in popular/traditional usage.

• Ideas of pure science start only as such--ideas--initially in a scientist's mind, which he seeks to establish by empirical methods.

‣ If the idea (such as mine) that our Veda-Puranas do contain core ideas of science, although they did not need to establish them empirically, seems 'blind faith' and 'delusion' to you, I should say in return, that your opinion is only your idea, which is not necessarily completely true. As for retrofitting, I would use the term anticipation, which hints at the historical context.

Unlike the western religions, Hindu religion was never against science: to this day, our sages have adopted the concepts and products of modern science in their traditional and spiritual daily life.

The interpretation of assigning seven rays to the seven colours does not appear to be okay, because in "Aruna PraSnam" (hymns to Surya and waters, among others) no attempt has been made to co-relate the colours to the sun rays. Agni is at one place praised as the son of aditya, (vatsa) and in description of flames of agni, the colours "neela" and "peethaka" are used. In the next stanza praising rudra-gaNas, the colours "shyaamaa", "kapilaa", "athi-lohitaa" etc. are used. But in describing the sun rays, the colours are not used. One may refer to taittiriya araNyaka 1.9.34-35 and 1.7.20 for more details.

Regards,

narayan

Narayan -

You are likely to be right since I do not have any knowledge nor done any analysis on this topic.
Actually during my high school days my Sanskrit teacher taught us that regarding this Stotram. Since rainbow phenomena must have been witnessed by people of ancient days I intuitively accepted this explanation.

namaste Narayan, TKS, and others.

The interpretation of sUrya--sun, driven by 'seven horses' in Rg-veda 1.50.8 as a reference to the spectrum of seven colors of the sun is not far-fetched.

• The Wikipedia article on sUrya states:

The term Surya also refers to the Sun, in general. Surya has hair and arms of gold. He is said to drive through the heaven in his triumphal chariot harnessed by seven horses or one horse with seven heads,[1] which represent the seven colours of the rainbow or the seven chakras. He presides over Sunday. (Jansen, Eva Rudy. The Book of Hindu Imagery: Gods, Manifestations and Their Meaning, p.65.)

When western scholars look at it as a metaphor of a scientific fact, why should we shy away from it?

Here are two references to the rainbow (which carries the name indra-dhanus in Hindu texts) in the aruNa-prashnam, published by Oppiliyappan Koil shrI VaradAchAri ShaThakopan:
http://www.srihayagrivan.org/ebooks/037_ap.pdf

• "tadh-indhra dhanurityajyam abhra-varNeshu cakshate"
--anuvAkam 5, mantra 16

"Thus released bow string is recognized as the multihued rainbow amidst the clouds of the sky."

• Rushaya: SAkam jAnAnAm saptatam-Ahur-ekajam
--anuvAkam 3, mantra 8

"The rishis state that the seven rays (VIBGYOR) arising from One (white) ray originating from the Sooryan. Modern science showed many centuries later that the White ray is made up of the seven individual colors of the Rainbow. Vedic Rishis were way ahead of the modern day Scientists."

Other references to the rainbow in association with sUrya/indra-(dhanus) include:

• Talking about the niyama for a brAhmaNa, the dharma-sUtras say:

"He should not point out a rainbow using the name indra-dhanus; instead, he should call it maNi-dhanus--jewelled bow." (cf. A.1.31.16, G.9.19-24, B.2.6.11=19)

vAlmIki rAmAyaNam
Valmiki Ramayana

AraNya kANDa, sarga 34

"His arms are lengthy, eyes broad, and he has jute-cloths and skin of black-deer for his dress... In semblance he that son of Dasharatha is similar to Love-god, his bow with its golden fillets is similar to Indra's Rainbow in sheen, and yanking it out he showered flaring iron arrows that are like the deadly poisonous snakes... that great-mighty one's drawing arrows from out of quiver, his shooting them from bowstring, and darting them.

AraNya kANDa, sarga 42

"With an upraised tail that shone forth in a tinge equal to the weapon of Indra, namely Rainbow, and with a complexion that is lustrous and dappled with many diverse gemlike dapples, that deer moved thereabout with a heart-stealing aura. [3.42.18b, 19a]"

In , when Maricha appeared as a golden deer and Rama shot an arrow and it pierced the heart of the deer, which fell assuming back his demonic form. "A black demon lay there dying. Rama ran up holding his diamond and rainbow bow."

kiShkindhA kANDam

Appearance of rainbow during night and appearance of night stars during daytime causes the destruction of the leader of that state, Garga says so. [4.14.9b, 10a]

sundara kANDam

Playing with those demons wielding a bow each in the sky, that hero shone like the Lord of Wind, playing with clouds brandishing a rain bow. [5.45.10]

yuddha kANDam

“Bows adhered with golden backs in his excellent chariot are shining on all sides like a rainbow in the sky.” [6.71.15]

"On his chest shone a medal of gold. His arms were held by beautiful bracelets. Lustrous pendants depended from his ear. Resplendent garland enfolded his neck. With these ornaments and with his club, Nikumbha assumed the threatening semblance of a cloud, with lightning and thunder and shot with a vivid rainbow." [6.77.6]

The tales and episodes of gods Indra, Mitra/SUrya/Aditya, VaruNa, who are associated with the events in the firmament, are allegories to deeper spiritual and worldly/scientific meanings.

The interpretation of sUrya--sun, driven by 'seven horses' in Rg-veda 1.50.8 as a reference to the spectrum of seven colors of the sun is not far-fetched.

• The Wikipedia article on sUrya states:

The term Surya also refers to the Sun, in general. Surya has hair and arms of gold. He is said to drive through the heaven in his triumphal chariot harnessed by seven horses or one horse with seven heads,[1] which represent the seven colours of the rainbow or the seven chakras. He presides over Sunday. (Jansen, Eva Rudy. The Book of Hindu Imagery: Gods, Manifestations and Their Meaning, p.65.)

When western scholars look at it as a metaphor of a scientific fact, why should we shy away from it? *****.

Namaste Sri Saidevo,

The question is not whether the seven colours are referred to metaphorically, but whether we can withstand the objection that we are retrofitting subsequent discovery of knowledge/facts to the vedas. Whether we can say unequivocally say that this passage or that passage refers to seven colours unambigiously. You will please note that there are plenty of "sapta" items mentioned in aruna praSna, including sapta-disha, sapta-ritvija, sapta-hotr, sapta-dwara etc (even sapta-surya). But the word sapta-varNa (colours) has not been adduced to sun or its rays.

In the wiki article, you have alluded to sapta-aho-ratra or sapta-divas and have quoted some authority to say that Sun is the Lord of Sunday. I have not come across anywhere in vedas mention of weekdays.

I would be highly obliged if you could point out anywhere in vedas (i.e. samhita, brahmaNa, aranyaka or upaniSads) mention of any week-day like bhaanuvasara, induvasara etc.

Other points in your post I will reply separately.

Regards,

narayan

Last edited:
Sir,

There are many slokas/mantras in our scriptures whose real meanings are
difficult to grasp. That is why we rely on the commentaries of the learned men
like Adi Sankara, Vidyaranya and others.

I will quote a passage from Swami Krishnananda's article on Devi Mahatmya.

Quote:

The Devi mahatmya is not merely an esoteric epic. It is not only a great spiritual
text in the form of occult lessons, occult teachings of which I have given you an
outline. But it is also a great mantra-sastra. Every sloka, every verse of Devi
mahatmya is a mantra by itself. I will tell you how it is a mantra by giving only
one instance.

That is the first sloka itself - savarnih suryatanayo yo manuh kathyate-shtamah.
This is the first sloka - savarnih surya tanayah. It is all a tantric interpretation
and a very difficult thing to understand. But I am giving you only an idea as to
what it is like. Surya represents fire, the fire-principle. Surya tanaya means that
which is born of the fire principle. What is it that is born of fire-principle ?
It is the seed 'Ra'. According to tantric esoteric psychology, 'Ram' is the bija
mantra of agni. In the word 'savarnih', varni means a hook ; so add one hook to
'Ram'. Yo manuh kathyate , ashtamah - eighth letter. What is Manu ? .
It is a letter in sanskrit. Eight letters are ya,ra,la,va,sya,sha,sa, ha. The eighth is
ha. Add ha to it. Ha,Ra and one hook make Hreem.

"Savarnih suryo-tanayo yo manuh kathyateeshtamah, nisamayatadutpattim ".
You hear the glory of that , the sage says. So, the first verse means :' Now I
shall describe to you the glory of 'Hreem" '. This 'Hreem' is the beeja of Devi.
But outwardly it means- ' listen to the story of the king so-and-so who is the
eighth Manu and all that.'

Thus there is an inner significance of the mantra, in addition to the outer
meaning.

Unquote.

A good knowledge of Sanskrit is essential to understand our scriptures. We
can't just go by the meaning appearing on the face of it or found in google
or yahoo groups.

Rider : I am a novice compared to the giants.

Last edited:

Here are two references to the rainbow (which carries the name indra-dhanus in Hindu texts) in the aruNa-prashnam, published by Oppiliyappan Koil shrI VaradAchAri ShaThakopan:
http://www.srihayagrivan.org/ebooks/037_ap.pdf

• "tadh-indhra dhanurityajyam abhra-varNeshu cakshate"
--anuvAkam 5, mantra 16

"Thus released bow string is recognized as the multihued rainbow amidst the clouds of the sky."

Namaste Sri Saidevo,

I also feel that there could be a possibility of hidden principles and I subscribe to your thought of 3 layers of adhyatmic, adhi-bhoumik, adhi-daivik interpretation of vedas.

But the aforesaid quote appears to be selective data mining. The anuvaka starts from "athi thaamraaNi vaasaamsi.... and it ends at na Enam rudra aaruko bhavathi; ya Evam veda"... whereas you have quoted just two lines.

Yes, the two lines quoted by you make a mention of "indra-dhanus" or "rainbow". But it does in no way indicate sun or sunrays causing the rainbow. In fact the passage is a "brahmaNa portion" of "pravargya ritual". In the passage the brahmavadins say that indra-dhanush is the bow of rudra, which connects the earth and the sky, after the bow was cut off by Indra assuming the form of termites and why one should perform pravargya ritual, as the said ritual re-joins rudra's head with the body, which is basically mythological.

Regards,

narayan

namaste Narayan and others.

BharadvAja mahaRShi, who is the mantra-dRShTa of some verses in the Rg-veda, wrote a text of science called aMshu-bodhinI, to which BodhAnanda later wrote a commentary. The available manuscript at the library of Oriental Institute, Vadodara (Baroda), covers only the first fifty aphorisms of BharadvAja mahaRShi.

• The interesting point of this extant work is that it gives a schematic design for a dhvAnta-paramApaka-yantram or tama-paramApaka-yantram, which is a spectrometer capable of measuring the spectra of the three optical regions: infrared, visible and ultraviolet.

• The distinction of this instrument is that it uses a conical prism to disperse sunlight into a spectrum of rings.

• Here is a research paper authored by N.G.Dogre about this spectrometer:
http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/rawdataupload/upload/insa/INSA_1/20005afc_611.pdf

Thus, when there is so much hidden treasures in our ancient texts, waiting to be studied and researched properly, I would not jump to conclusions that rule out inferring core science ideas in the metaphors, myths and allegories of the Vedas or other ancient texts.

Chemistry

Leaving aside the chemists or druggists in the medical schools of India, two great specialists in chemistry as such were Patanjali (2nd century BCE) and NAgArjuna (early CE).

• Patanjali was also a philologist, his commentary on the famous grammar of PANiNi is well known. His “science of iron” (loha-shAsira) was a pioneer work on metallurgy.

• NAgArjuna's genius also was versatile. He is the patron-saint of alchemists. He is credited with having founded or rather systematized the philosophy of rasa (mercury).

• The Hindu chemical investigators of the 5th and 6th centuries CE (the age of Gupta-VikramAdityan Renaissance) were far in advance of Roger Bacon (13th century).

‣ In fact, they anticipated by one millennium the work of Paracesus (16th century) and Libavius (17th century). "The physico-chemical theories as to combustior heat, chemical affinity were clearer, more rational, and more original than those of Van Helmont or Stahl." (Seal)

i. According to Prafullachandra Ray, the earliest Hindus knew of the distinction between green and blue vitriol.

2. The scientific pharmacy of Sushruta was almost modern. About the preparation of caustic alkali he was careful enough to give the special direction that the strong lye is to be preserved in an iron vessel. It was far superior to the process of a Greek writer of the 11th century who has been eulogized by Berthelot.

3. According to Royle, the process of distillation was discovered by the Hindus.

4. By the 6th century the Hindu chemisis were masters of the chemical processes of calcination, distillation, sublimation, steaming, fixation, etc.

5. These processes were used by researchers of the Patanjali and NAgArjuna cycles in order to bring about chemical composition and decomposition, e.g.,

(a) In the preparation of
(i) Perchioride of mercury;
(2) Suiphide of mercury;
(3) Vermilion from lead, etc.

(b) In the extraction of
(i) Copper from sulphate of copper;
(2) Zinc from calamine;
(3) Copper from pyrites, etc.

6. The importance of the apparatus in chemical research is thus described in rasarnava, a work on chemistry, of the 11th century:

“For killing (oxidizing) and coloring mercury, an apparatus is indeed a power. Without the use of herbs and drugs, mercury can be killed with the aid of an apparatus alone; hence an expert m.ust not disparage the efficacy of the apparatus.”

With this preamble the author introduced his account of the chemical laboratory, instruments, crucibles, etc.

7. In madanapala—nighaNTu, a work on drugs (c.1374), zinc was distinctly mentioned as a separate metal. Paracelsus (1493-1541) as thus anticipated in India by about two hundred years.

8. The philosophy of mercury was a recognized branch of learning during the fourteenth century. It was One of the celebrated sixteen in MadhavachArya’s collection of philosophical systems (1331). He mentioned rasarnava as a standard work on mercury.

9. rasa-ratna-samuchchaya (treatise on mercury and metals) is a comprehensive work of the 14th century. It embodies practically the whole chemical, mineralogical, and metallurgical knowledge of the Hindus developed through the ages. Like the bRhat samhitA (6th century CE), by VarAha-mihira, it is a scientific encyclopedia, It is specially remarkable for its section on the laboratory, directions for experiments, and description of apparatus.

10. The Hindus had no knowledge of mineral acids for a long period. But this defect was made up by their use of vid, which, says Ray, could "kill all metals". This was a mixture containing aqua regia and other mineral acids in polentia. The substance had probably been discovered by Patanja1i. Mineral acids were discovered almost simultaneously both in India and Europe during the 16th century.

• The debt of Europe to Saracen chemistry of alcheniy is generally acknowledged by historians of science. This implies also Europe’s debt to the Hindus; for they had taught these teachers of mediaval Europe.

Metallurgy and Chemical Arts

India was the greatest "industrial power" of antiquity. It was the manufactures of the Hindus, which, backed up by their commercial enterprise, served as standing advertisements of India in Egypt, Babylonia, Judaea, Persia, etc. To the Romans of the Imperial epoch and the Europeans of the Middle Ages, also, the Hindus were noted chiefly as a nation of industrial experts.

• Some of the arts for which the people of India have had traditional fame are those connected with (i) bleaching, (2) dyeing, (3) calico-printing, (4) tanning, (5) soap-making, (6) glass-making, (7) manufacture of steel, (8) gun-powder and firetwork, and (9) preparation of cements. All these imply a knowledge of industrial chemistry.

i. Patanjali, the founder of Hindu metallurgy, (2nd century BCE) gave elaborate directions for many metallurgic and chemical processes, especially the preparation of metallic salts, alloys, amalgams, etc., and the extraction, purification, and assaying of metals.

2. During the 4th century the Hindus could forge a bar of iron, says Fergusson, "larger than any that have seen forged in Europe up to a very late date, and not frequently even now."

3. Gun-powdcr "may have been introduced into China from India" about the 5th or 6th century CE (Journal of the North China Branch of R.A.S., New Series, Vi.82).

4. The secret of manufacturing the so-called Damascus blades was learned by the Saracens from the Persians, who had mastered it from the Hindus. In Persia, the Indian sword was proverbially the best sword, and the phrase jawabee hind ('Indian answer') meant 'a cut with the sword made of Indian steel'.

5. During the sixth century the Hindu chemists could prepare:

(1) Fixed or coagulated mercury;
(2) A chemical powder, the inhalation of which would bring on sleep or stupor;
(3) A chemically prepared stick or wick for producing light without fire;
(4) A powder, which, like anaesthetic drugs or curare, paralyzcs sensory and motor organs.

6. The horticulturists of the same period were familiar pith several mixtures and infusions, probably struck upon empirically, for supplying the requisite nitrogen compounds, phosphates, etc., to plants.

7. The metallurgists of the same period were familiar with the processes of extraction, purification, 'killing' (formation of oxides, chlorides, and oxy-chlorides), calcination, incineration, powdering, solution, distillation, precipitation, rinsing, drying, melting, casting, filing, etc. With the help of apparatus and reagents they subjected each of the known minerals to all these processes. Heat was applied in different measures for different ends.

8. So early as the 6th century the mercurial operations alone were nineteen in number.

• Pliny, the Roman of the 1st century CE, noticed th industrial position of the Hindus as paramount in the world. India maintained the same position even in the 17th and 18th centuries, when the nodern European nations began to come into intimate touch with her. This long-standing industrial hegemony of the Hindus was due to their capacity for harnessing the energies of Nature to to the well-being of man. They made several important discoveries in chemical technology. These may be generalized into three:

(i) The preparation of fast dyes;
(s) The extraction of the principle of indigotin from the indigo by a process, which, though crude, is essentially an anticipation of modern chemical methods;
(3) The tempering of steel.

Folks, yesterday I heard an amazing news story in the radio about a surgery performed on a fetus still in its mother's uterus to correct a condition that results in a debilitating physical condition. For more about the science click here.

Now, Dr. Naik and his counterparts in Vedantam can figure out how this is already there in their respective religious scripture :).

Cheers!

Medicine

From the standpoint of comparative chronology, Hindu medicine has been ahead of the European and has been of service in its growth and development.

• Two great names in Hindu medicine are Charaka (c 6th to 4th century BCE?), the physician, and Sushruta (early CE), the surgeon.

‣ They were not the founders of their respective sciences, but the premier organizers of the cumulative experience of previous centuries. In observation lay their great strength, the "natural history of disease" was their special study. Both these schools were in existence about 500 BCE. according to Hoernle.

‣ By the 1st and 2nd centuries CE surgery was a well developed art. Many instruments, were devised, of which 127 are mentioned. The materia medica grew from age to age with the introduction of new drugs (vegetable, animal and mineral), of which the therapeutic effects were tested by the 'experiments' of researchers.

(1) The Hindus have had hospitals and dispensaries since at least the 3rd century BCE.

(2) The smoking of datura leaves in asthma, treatment of paralysis and dyspepsia by nux vomica, use of croton tigliurn, etc., are modern in Europe, but have come down in India since very old times.

(3) The Hindus were the first in the world to advocate the 'internal' use of mercury. Pliny knew only of its external use (1st century CE). By the 6th century it was well established among Hindu practioners as an aphrodisiac and tonic. It is mentioned by VarAha-mihira along with iron

(4) The Greeks and Romans used metallic substances for external application. The Saracens are usually credited with their internal administration for the first time in the history of medicine.

But in this as in other matters the Hindus anticipated the Saracens, and, in fact, taught them. As Roy]e observes, the earliest of the Saracens had access to the writings of Charaka and Sushruta, who had given directions for the internal use of numerous metallic substances.

(5) In the prescriptions of Dr.VAgbhaTa mineral and natural salts had a conspicuous place. His book was translated into Arabic in the 8th century.

(6) From the 6th century on, every Hindu treatise on materia medica has more or less recommended metallic preparations for internal use. It was only after Paracelsus at the end of the 16th century that thee had a recognized place in European science.

• Hindu medicine has influenced the medical systems of other peoples of the world. The work of Indian physicians and pharmacologists was known in ancient Greece and Rome. The materia medica of the Hindus has influenced medkeval European practice also through the Saracens.

Surgery

Tun ancient Hindu surgeons gave expression to the most modern views about the importance of their science. They declared:

• "Surgery is the first and best of the medical sciences, less liable than any other to the fallacies of conjectural and inferential practices, pure in itself, perpetual in its applicability, the worthy produce of Heavens, and certain source of Fame."

• Another very remarkably modern idea of these surgeons was that "the first, best, and most important of all implements is the hand."

• Surgery is one of the oldest branches of medical sciene in India. The Hindu term for it is shalya or the "art of removing foreign substances from thee
body; especially the arrow". It seems to have had its origin in warfare and in the accidents of outdoor work, eg., hunting and agriculture.

• The Hindu surgeons performed lithotomy, could extract the dead foetus, and could remove external matter accidentally introduced into the body, eg., iron, stones, hair, bones, wood, ete.

‣ They were used to paracentesis, thoracis, and abdominis, and treated different kinds of inflammation, abesses, and other surgical diseases.

‣ Hazardous operations and the art of cutting, healing ulcers, setting bones, and the use of esckarotics, were the forte of a section of India's medical men.

• Dissection of the human body and venesection were normal facts in medical India. The doctors of the Sushruta school declared that dissection was necessaiy for a correct knowledge of the internal structure of the body.

‣ Dissection gave them an intimate knowledge of the diseases to which the body is liable.

‣ It also helped them in their surgical operations to avoid the vital parts. It
gave them, besides, an accurate knowledge of the human anatomy.

• The Hindu surgical laboratory consisted of at least 127 instruments. The operators were used to the manipulation of saws, lancets, needles, knives, scissors, hooks, pincers, probes, nippers, forceps, tongs, catheters, syringes, loadstones, rods, etc.

• For laboratory practice students operated on wax, gourds, cucumbers, and other fruits.
‣ Tapping and puncturing were demonstrated on a leather bag of water or soft mud.
‣ Fresh hides of animals, or dead bodies, were used in the demonstration of scarification and bleeding.
‣ The use of the probe was practised on hollow bamboos.
‣ Flexible models of the human body were in use for practice in bandaging.
‣ Caustics and cauteries were used on animals.

Anatomy and Physiology

Hippocrates, the founder of Greek medicine, was unacquainted with anatomy and, physiology. His ignorance was due to the superstitious respect which the Greeks paid to their dead. But the fathers of Hindu medicine were remarkably accurate in some of their observations and descriptions.

• The Hindus have described 500 muscles-—400 in the extremities, 66 in the trunk, and 34 in the region above the clavicle.

‣ They knew of the ligaments, sutures, lymphatics, nerve plexuses, fascia, adipose tissue, vascular tissue, mucous membrane of the digestive canal, synovial membranes, etc.

(a) Osteology

The anatomical system of the Hindus was almost modern. As Hoernie remarks: "Its extent and accuracy are surprising, when we allow for their, early age-—probably the 6th century BCE-—and their peculiar method of definition.”

• There are about 200 bones in the human body according to modern osteology. Charaka counted and Suhruta 300. The former counted the 32 sockets of teeth and the 20 nails as separate bones. These were not admitted by Sushruta.

• The additional 100 in Sushruta's count, however, has to be explained. This large excess is principally due to the fact that, like Charaka, he regarded the cartilages and the prominent parts of bones (the modern 'processes' and 'protuberances') as if they were separate bones. In Europe the first correct description of the osseous system was given by Vesalius in 1543.

(b) The Doctrine of Humors

The physiology of humors, whatever its worth, is older in India than in Greece. At any rate, the Hindu and the Greek humoral pathologies are independent systems. Hippocrates counted four humors, viz. blood, bile, water, and phlegm; but Charaka propounded three, viz. air, bile, and phlegm.

(c) Digestion

The Hindu physicians knew the digestive system well and described it satisfactorily.

1. The function of different digestive fluids was understood. They were familiar with the acid gastric juice in the stomach. They knew also that in the small intestines there is a digestive substance in the bile.

2. They were familiar with, and eplained, the conversion of the semi-digested food (chyme) into chyle, and of that again into blood.

3. They explained the chemical changes by the action of metabolic heat.

(d) Circulation of Blood

In Europe, previous to Harvey's epoch-making discovery (i628), "the movement of the blood was believed to be confined to the veins, and was thought to be a to-and-from movement." (Halliburton).

• The Hindus knew that the heart (i) receives the chyle-"essence", i.e., venous blood, (2) sends it down to the liver, where it is transformed into red blood,
and (3) gets it back as red blood from the liver.

‣ There was thus the idea of a chakra or wheel, ie., self-returning circle of “circulation".

But the Hindus did not understand the process clearly.
(1) They did not know that the pathway of the blood round and round the body is a "double circle", ie., "systemic" circulation and "pulmonary" circulation.

(2) Neither Charaka nor Sushruta, therefore, understood the function of the lungs in the oxygenation of blood. This was not known to the ancients in Europe also, eg., to Galen
(130 CE).

The Harveyan Circulation was thus not anticipated by the Hindus. The Hindu conception of the vascular system is given below:

(i) There are two classes of blood-conductors (i) shira--vein, and dhamanI--artery;

(2) The.heart is connected with the liver by both;

(3) The shiras bring the impure blood (venous) from the heart into the liver, and the dhamanIs conduct the pure (arterial) blood from the livir into the heart.

(e) Nervous System

Neither in India nor in Europe did the ancients understand the nervous system. Aristotle’s error was committed by Charaka and Sushruta also. They all regarded the heart to be the central organ and seat of consciousness. The nerves (sensory and motor) were believed to ascend to and descend from the heart.

Later investigators, however, corrected this mistake both in the East and the West. Like Galen, the Greek (2nd century CE), the Tantrists and Yogaists of India came to know the truth that the brain (and the spinal cord) is the real organ of "mind".

Accordiig to Bamandas Basu the nervous system is more accurately described in the mystical 'Tantras' than in purely medical treatises. We get the fllowing from Shiva samhitA:

1. Familiarity with the brain and spinal cord;

2. The idea that the central nervous system is composed of gray and white matters;

3. Familiarity with the lateral ventricles of the brain (through the fourth and third ventricles);

4. Familiarity with the ganglia and plexuses of the cerebrospinal system;

5. The idea that the brain is composed of chandra-kalA or convolutions resembling half-moons;

6. The idea that the six chakras are the vital and important sympathetic plexuses, presiding over all the functions of organic life. Yoga or contemplation means control over tle functions of these plexuses.

According to Seal, also, the enumeration, by Yogaists, of the spinal nerves with the connected sympathetic chain and ganglia, is a distinct improvement oxi the anatomical knowledge of Charaka and Sushruta. Thus, according to the Yoga physiologists,

(i) The suShumna is the central cord in the vertebral column. The two chains of sympathetic ganglia on the left and the right are named iDa and pingala respectively. The sympathetic nerves have their main connection with suShumna at the solar plexus. There are 700 nerve-cords in the sympathefic-spinal system.

(2) The soul has its special seat within the brahmarandhra above the forainen of Monro and he middle commissure, but traverses the whole cerebro-spinal axis, up and down, along the suShumna.

Embryology

In the history of science Hindu embryologists deserve recognition
(i) as having made precise observations, some of which are great approximations to the latest demonstrated truths, and

(2) as having guessed at theories, some of which are eminently suggestive. As for pseudo-biological hypotheses, India has not been more prolific than Europe from Hippocrates to Buffon.

Some of the facts observed and explained by Charaka and Sushruta are:

(i) All the members of the human organism are formed at the same time, but are ectreme1y small, as the first sprig of the bamboo contains the leaves, etc., of the future plant.

• This idea of the development of the fertilized ovum by 'palingenesis' survived in India after a long struggle with rival theories. It is an established truth today that though we find cells of one type in glands, of another type in the brain, of another type in the blood, and so forth, nevertheless all of them sprang from one original single cell.

(2) "The hard substances of the foetus, as hairs, bones, nails, teeth, vessels, ligaments, etc., are produced from the semen, and resemble the same part as in the father;

• and the soft parts as flesh, blood, fat, marrow, heart, navel, liver, spleen, intestines, etc., are formed principally from the blood of the mother, and resemble her.”

(3) Weisman’s theory of "germinal cotinuity" is the greatest discovery of modern embryology. It is now held that 'somatic' cells contribute absolutely nothing to the original germ-plasm, that no parent ever produces a germ cell, that the individual inherits nothing from his parents, but both he and they obtain their characteristics from a common source, and that the line of descent or inheritance is from germ-cell to germ-cell, not from parents.

This recent idea about the physical basis of inheritance brings out the distinction between germ-cells and body-cells (somatic). It was guessed to a certain extent by the Hindu biologists also in their controversy regarding the transmission of congenital deformities and constitutional diseases of parents to offspring.

• Atreya held that "the parental seed (germ-plasm) contains the whole parental organism in miniature (or in-potentia), but it is independent of the parents’ developed organs, and is not necessarily affected by their idosyncrasies or deformities”.

‣ The germ-plasm was described as an organic whole independent of the developed parental body and its organs. The physiological characters and predispositions of the offspring were explained as being determined by the constituent elements of this parental seed. The continued identity of the germ-plasm from generation to generation may be taken as a corollary to this, though nowhere expressly stated.

(4) Elementary facts about impregnation, the cycle of sex, menopause, etc., could not but be obrrved:

(i) The menses continue for seventeen days during which the woman may be impregnated, and not at any other season. This Hindu idea of absolute sterility after a certain number of days is still held by some modern physiologists, though not a demonstrated truth.

(ii) The menses remain till the fiftieth year, when the woman is of a weak constitution; but it continues longer when the individual is strong.

(5) Modern physiology would not reject the little kernel of truth that there is in the following statement:

"The menses, after conception, goes in part to form the placenta, and as the blood flows every month, it coagulates to form the embryo; an upper layer being added every month to the embryo; and another portion to the breasts, of the mother, by which the mammae increased in size."

(6) The stages of foetal development described on the basis of post-mortem operations and major operations in obstetric surgery had also much of the truth that has been established in recent years.

"In the first month the mixture of the semen and menses forms a small mass like a pea; seven days after conception, it has the form of a bubble or inflated bag. On the tenth it is red, and on the fifteenth it resembles a small round piece of flesh. At one month it has small fibres proceeding from it and is animated with life."

One need not try to compare with this accaunt the advanced and definite ideas of modern embryology about the development of the successive generations of cells, from the original fertilized ovum, eg., 'morula', 'blastocyst', 'yolk sac', 'entoderm', 'ectoderm', 'mesoderm', etc. But the following may be accepted for 'popular' purposes:

In the third month five eminences appear, which when developed become the, hands, feet. and head. In the sixth month all the members of the body are formed, etc.

(7) The following observation about the development of the rudimentary organs of reproduction contains a suggestive hint:

The foetus for a time remains indeterminate, and then takes on a definite male or female character. In the second month the sexual character is indicated by the shape of the foetus, the shape of a round joint (?) indicating the male sex, and the elongated shape, as of a muscle (?), the female sex.

(8) What determines sex? Can sex be produced at will? These questions have engaged the attention of scientists as well as quacks all through the ages both in the East and the West. The following Hindu ideas have had their European duplicates:

(i) When conception occurs on the unequal days of menses, a female child will be born.

(ii) Should the germ have more of the qualities of the semen, a male child will be formed, and of the menses, a female child.

(iii) Before the foetus takes on a definite male or female character, the development of the sex may be modified to some extent by food and drugs.

Modern scientists have advanced several theories about sex-deterniinants. The truth remains yet to be discovered.

concluding part of the book
Natural History

Minerals, plants, and animals were objects of study among the ancients and mediaevals in India as in Europe. But nothing approaching the 'sciences' of mineralogy, botany, and zoology was achieved anywhere.

(a) Minerals

The principal metals and gems were discovered, described, an utilized by the Hindus independently of any foreign help. In fact, in this braich of knowledge as in many others the people of India were the pioneers.

Mining has been in operation in India since the earliest times. The use of gems and precious stones as well as their identification also, have a long history among the Hindus.

1. The Hindus were the first to discover gold (Roscoc and Schorlemner).

2. The Hindus taught the world the art of extracting iron from the ores (Roscoe and Schorlemner)

3. Even in the Mosaic period (I491—5o BCE) precious stones and gems were in use in India. (Ball).

4. Homer mentions tin probably by its Sanskrit name kastIra. (Birdwood)

5. The Hindus supplied gold to the Persian Empire in the 5th century BCE; and the story of Indian "gold-digging ants" (miners) is famous in Greek literature tbrough Herodotus and others.

6. At first the Hindus knew six metals; gold, silver, copper, iron, tin, and lead. They discovered zinc, the seventh metal, sometime during the fourteenth century. (It is mentioned by name as a separate metal in madanapala—nighaNTu (1374). In Europe it Was discovered by Paracelsus in 1540.

7. The Hindu 'doctrine of seven metals' was not, like, the Greek and Saracen, influenced by the doctrine of the mystic influence of the seven planets.

8. Examination of the genuineness of gems was an art even in the first century BCE (cf. mRchChakaTikam--the little clay cart, a drama by king ShUdraka).

9. There have been different methods of enumeration and classification of the precious gems in different periods. The last important phase is embodied in the 'doctrine of nine gems.' These are ruby, pearl, coral, emerald, topaz, diamond, sapphire, gomeda (agate or zircon), and vaidUrya (chrysoberyl, or lapis lazuli). This doctrine was enunciated proably in the tenth century by the astronomer ShrIpati.

10. The nine gems are believed to have a mystic connection with nine planets. ShrIpati was the first to add RAhu (personification of the ascending node of the moon) and Ketu (moon’s descending node) to the list of the generally recognized seven planets’°

(b) Plants

The following ideas of rudimentary plant-physiology have been credited to the experience of the 'rhizotomi', pharmocologists, plant-physicians (vRkShA-yurvedists) and horticulturists of ancient and mediteval India by Bhimchandra Chatterj:

i. Sexuality: Flowers are the organs of plants.
2. Phosphorescence, and exudation of water.

3. Photo-synthesis: The sun is the source of energy in the fuel; (i) plants assimilate potential energy from the sun, (ii) the less refractive rays (red, yellow, of the setting sun are specially adapted to by plants.

4. Plants are living organisms: They have the following phenomena of life: (a) sap (b) power of movement, heliotropic, nyct other movements, sensitiveness to touchness etc., (c) growth and reproduction.

• Characteristics of plant life were mentioned the followers of the NyAya school: Udayana, and GuNaratna.

(c) Animals

Animals have had an important place in the medicine, dietetics, economic life, fine art and religion of the Hindus. The people have thus had experience of the life-habits, habitats, external characteristics, etc., of animals, both domestic and wild. This accounts for their intimate familiariIy with the topics generally treated of in descriptive zoology.

i. Like the science of the diseases of plants,.veterinary science also is very old in India. The Hindus had hospitals for animals in the 3rd century BCE.

2. The Hindus could set fractures and dislocations in animals. They were perfectly acquainted with the anatomy of the goat, sheep, horse, and other animals in sacrifices.

3. They were specialists in the science of horses and elephants, the two animals important in warfare. Shalihotra is the founder of the science of horses, and Palakapya of the science of elephants. There is a vast literature on the subject.

4. Equine dentistry: The changes in the development and color of the six incisors of the lower jaw constituted, in Hindu practice, the guide to the age of the horse. This is modern European practice also.

5. Snake-poison has been used as an article in Occidental thateria medica during the last two or three decades. But it has been a reconized drug in India since early times.

6. The toxicologists of the Sushruta school of medicine devoted special attention to the study of snakes. That study was followed up in some of the 'Purana' schools..

7. Various systems of classification were built up: (1) according to the nature of generation, eg., from placentalia, or egg, etc. (in the writings of the schools of medicine); (2) according to the habitat and mode of life, and usefulness to man; (3) according to the number of senses possessed by animals. (This was the system of Umasvati.

8. The Sushruta-school names (1) six varieties of ants, (2) six varieties of flies (3) five varieties of mosquitoes (including one marine and one mountain kind), (4) eight varieties of centipedes, (5) thirty varieties of scorpions, (6) sixteen varieties of spiders.

9. Leeches have been used by Hindu surgeons since very early times. Sushruta gives a detailed account of their varieties, habits, mode of application, etc. There are twelve varieties of leeches, six of which are venomous and six useful. The venomous are found near putrid fish or animals in foul water. The good are found in clear deep pools which contain water-lilies.

10. Ladyayana is quoted by Dalvana, the commentator to Sushruta, as a great authority on insects and reptiles. According to this ancient specialist, the various forms of insects are to be distinguished from one another by the following marks: (i) Dottings, (2) wings, (3) pedal appendages, (4) mouth, with antenna or flippers, (5) claws, (6) sharp, pointed hairs or filaments, (7) stings in the tail, (8) hymenopteroils character, (9) humming or other noise, (10) size, (11) structure of the body, (12) sexual organs (13) poison and its action on bodies.

ii. Dalvana’s descriptions of deer and birds are precise and complete.

Conclusion

• There thus grew up in India a vast amount of specialized scientific literature, each branch with its own technical terminology. The positive sciences of the Hindus were not mere auxiliaries or hand to the 'architectonic' science of neeti or artha (politics, economics, and sociology.) The shAstras on plant and animal life, veterinary, metals and gems, chemistry, surgery, embry anatomy, symptomology of diseases, arithmetic, algebra, astronomy, architecture, music (acoustics) etc., had indepndent status. Besides, like 'Natural History', there have been scientific cyclopaedias in Sanskrit, eg., the bRhat samhitA (6th century CE).

• Scientific investigation was not confined to a particular province of India or to any race of the Hindu population. It was a cooperative taking, a process of cumulative effort in intelligent advance. Thus, among the heroes of Hindu medicine, Charaka (600 BCE) belongs to the Indus in the N.W., Sushruta (100 CE) is claimed for Punjab as well as Benares in the Middle VAgbhaTa (700 CE) belongs to Sindh (Western) Vrinda to the Deccan (Middle South), C pani (900) to Bengal (Eastern India), ShrIdhara (1350) to Rajputana (Further West), Deva (1350) to Vijayanagara (Extreme South), Narahari (17th century) is claimed for Kashmir (Extreme North) but belongs most probabably to Maharashtra (Western Coasts).

• No one hypothesis or theory dominated thought in any age, or monopolized the. research or investigations in successive epochs. The intellectual universe of the Hindus was 'pluralistic'. There were different schools criticising, correcting, and modifying one another's inquiries.

The story of scientific investigation among the Hindus is thus, like that among other nations, the story of a growth and development in critical inquiry, sceptical attitude, and rationalism. Historically and statistically speaking, superstition has not had a deeper and more extensive hold on the Oriental intellect than on the Occidental.

Sirs:

Herein are some comments by famous scientists :-

We owe a lot to Indians who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile
scientific theory could have been made ..........Albert Einstein.

It is the ancient Indian culture that has regarded the science of numbers as the
noblest of arts....... A thousand years ahead of Europeans, Indian Savants knew that
the zero and infinity were mutually inverse notions.

In short, Indian science was born out of a mystical and religious culture and the
etymology of the sanskrit words used to describe numbers and the science of
numbers bears witness to this fact.

The early passion which the Indian civilisation had for high numbers was a
significant factor contributing to the discovery of the place-value system, and
not only offered the Indians the incentive to go beyond the 'calculable' physical
world , but also led to an understanding of the notion of the mathematical
infinity itself. George Ifrah ( French historian of Maths )

What we shall find in modern physics is an exemplification , an encouragement
and a refinement of old Hindu wisdom.

Access to the Vedas is the greatest privilege this century may claim over all the
previous centuries. (Julius R. Oppenheimer. )

After the conversations about Indian philosophy, some of the ideas of Quantum
physics that had seemed so crazy suddenly made much more sense.

-Werner Heisenberg.

While witnessing the first atomic bomb explosion at the Trinity on july 16,1945,
he emotionally exclaimed two couplets from The Bhagavat Gita :

' If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that
would be like the splendor of the mighty one '

' Now I have become Death, the destroyer of worlds '.
- Julius R.Oppenheimer.

Some blood transfusion from the East to the West is must to save western
science from anaemia.
In all world there is no kind of frame- work within which we can find consciousness
in the plural; this is simply something we construct because of the temporal plurality
of individuals,but it is a false construction.......The only solution to this conflict
in so far as any is available to us at all lies in the ancient wisdom of the upanishads.

- Erwin Schroedinger

The vedanta and the sankhya hold the key to the laws of mind and thought process
which are co-related to the quantum field i.e., the operation and distribution of
particles at atomic and molecular levels.

- Brian David Josephson ( nobel laureate )

One would say Atman is more like the meaning. But then what is meant would be
Brahman, I suppose the identity of consciousness and cosmos..... This claims
that the meaning and what is meant are ultimately one, which is the phrase
'Atman equals Brahman' of classical Hindu philosophy.

- David J. Bohm.

brahman exists without a human being conscious of it,gifted are those who realise

Sir,

I have quoted the views of some eminent western scientists about our ancient
seers' and scriptures' contribution to science. They have not denied our noteworthy
contribution.

In this connection, I contacted a leading physicist who was a vice-chancellor of
SSB university and INSA past president ( I presume ) who gave me the undernoted
reply:
PROF. CHARLES TOWNES WHO WON THE NOBLE PRIZE FOR HIS DISCOVERY OF THE LASER PRINCIPLE ONCE SAID: SCIENCE EXPLAINS THE HOW OF THE UNIVERSE WHILE RELIGION EXPLAINS THE WHY.

MANY PEOPLE TRY TO READ MEANING INTO THE VEDAS TO CLAIM THAT EVERYTHING THAT SCIENCE SAYS IS ALREADY CONTAINED IN THE VEDAS. I PERSONALLY BELIEVE THIS IS AN IMPROPER CLAIM.

LET US NOT FORGET THAT SCIENCE HAS BEEN UNRAVELLED BY HUMANS USING THE CREATIVE POWER GIVEN TO THEM BY THE CREATOR.

AS SWAMI HAS OFTEN SAID, SCIENCE AND VEDANTA ARE TWO COMPLIMENTARY STRANDS OF KNOWLEDGE. WHILE SCIENCE DESCRIBES WHAT IT CAN WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK OF SPACE AND TIME, VEDANTA CAN GO FAR BEYOND.

Last edited:
Dear Members,

Our Vedas already already contain so many advancements about our universe and the existence of so many SUN's in this universe.
The chapter on Surya Namaskaram talks about this and says that even though there are thousands of SUN's in the universe , our SUN GOD is the most powerful . If one goes through this thoroughly , I am sure that there is no need to waste so much money on the origin of the universe and the " Big Bang Theory ".

In the same text , the following Mantra

" Achetha yescha Chetana ha" says that SUN is the only one which makes everything in this world move i.e gives life to all lifeless forms.

People like Sri Krishna Premi have written books and have given several lectures on these topics. I would recommend reading the book on Surya Namaskaram with Tamil Translation by Anna ( available in Giri stores).

Thanks

M.R. Krishnan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back