• If you are using hotmail, outlook, live or rediffmail email and is trying to register or have registered with the website, please read this post.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Microwave Safety and Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

praveen

Life is a dream
Staff member
Don't use the microwave for deep-frying, canning, or
heating baby bottles. These applications don't allow
adequate temperature control for safe results.

Stay with the oven when microwaving popcorn, for heat
buildup can cause a fire. Time heating per instructions
but lean toward the shorter time (some ovens can scorch
popcorn in two minutes).

Don't dry or disinfect clothing or other articles in
the microwave because of the risk of fire.

Use only microwave-safe utensils. Hot food melts some
plastics, such as margarine tubs, causing migration of
package constituents. It's a good idea to use glass for
fatty foods, which get particularly hot, though not all
glass and ceramics are microwave-safe.

Here's a quick test for glass: Microwave the empty
container for one minute. It's unsafe for the microwave
if it's warm; it's OK for reheating if it's lukewarm; and
it's OK for actual cooking if it's cool.

Properly used, a microwave oven is extremely safe.
Under authority of the Radiation Control for Health and
Safety Act, FDA's-Center for Devices and Radiological
Health ensures that microwave ovens made after 1971 meet a
radiation safety standard requiring: two independent
interlock systems to stop microwave production the moment
the latch is released or the door is opened. A monitoring
system stops the oven if either or both of the interlocks
fail.

To be sure radiation levels from a microwave oven
remain as low as possible, consumers can take these steps:

Don't use an oven if an object is caught in the door
or if the door doesn't close firmly or is otherwise
damaged. If you have an older model oven with a soft mesh
door gasket. Check for deterioration which would require
servicing.

If you suspect excessive microwave leakage, contact
the manufacturer, a reputable servicing firm, the local
state health department. The FDA has found the inexpensive
home microwave-testing devices that are available to be
generally inaccurate.

Don't operate an empty oven if the introduction manual
warns against this. In some ovens the magnetron tube can
be damaged by unabsorbed energy.

If there are signs of rusting inside the oven, have
the oven repaired.

Clean the door and oven cavity---the outer edge. too.
---with water and mild detergent. Do not use abrasives
such as scouring pads.

Follow the manufacturer's instruction manual for
recommended operating procedures and safety precautions.

Be sure children who use the microwave can do so
safely.

There previously was concern that electromagnetic
emissions from microwave ovens could interfere with heart
pacemakers. Modern pacemakers are shielded against such
interference, but some older models may still be
adversely affected by proximity to a microwave oven. If
in doubt, check with your doctor.

Microwaved foods typically retain more vitamins and
minerals foods cooked by other methods because
microwaving takes less and doesn't require much
additional water.

Though microwaves produce heat directly in the food,
they really don't cook food from the inside out. With
thick foods like roasts microwaves generally cook only
about an inch of the outer layers. The heat is then slowly
conducted inward, cooking along the way.

An area of a food where there is increased moisture
will heat more quickly than other areas. So, when heating
up a jelly roll, for instance, it's a good idea to let the
food stand after cooking for a minute or two until the
heat disperses from the high moisture jelly to the low
moisture pass throughout. To promote uniform cooking,
recipes for microwave ovens usually include directions
such as turn the food midway through cooking and cover and
let stand after cooking.

As a rule, it's not good to use metal pans made for
conventional ovens or aluminum foil because reflected
microwaves cause uneven cooking and could even damage the
oven. However, some new metal cookware is specially
configured for use in microwave ovens. These pans are
safe, provided instructions for use are carefully
followed.

Some oven models have a protector on the magnetron
tube to allow use of a small amount of metal, such as meat
skewers or strips of foil over chicken wings and legs. The
instructions that come with each microwave oven tell what
kinds of containers to use and how to test for suitability
for use.

The following test is used for gauging energy output:
Fill a glass measuring cup with exactly 1 cup of tap
water. Microwave, uncovered, on "high" until water begins
to boil.

If boiling occurs in: wattage is:
less than 3 minutes 600 to 700
3 to 4 minutes 500 to 600
more than 4 minutes less than 500 watts
 
P

pvsswamyiyer

Guest
Good tips. Its really handy.
thanks for the same
sivaswamyiyer
 

navy-eswaran

Active member
dear praveen,
i have an old machine( u call them machine !!)
there is no high-low position switch.
what should i do when the lady on the tube says the food should be cooked in high.
is the high-low is about the wattage and is a controller like rheostst??
pl let me know
regards
eswaran
 

laxmi

Member
hi praveen,
i am a new member and joined only today.
your tips for using the microwave oven is really informative.

lakshmi.
 

hariharan1972

Active member
From the PJ King

what should i do when the lady on the tube says the food should be cooked in high.

regards
eswaran
Mr Eswaran,

Perhaps the lady on the tube was referring to "your state"...i.e the state in which "you have to be " to use the MW.

I know, I know, I am terrible, but couldnt resist this one.

Tail piece : What should you do ? Message me or LQ, we can give you "handy" tips.
 

lotus_quartz

Active member
Handy Tip # 1 : Possibly, microwave can be used for drying wet socks. Anyone with realtime experience of doing so ? I have first-hand experience of witnessing Washing Machine being used for churning Lassi !


Mr Eswaran,
Tail piece : What should you do ? Message me or LQ, we can give you "handy" tips.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Follow Tamil Brahmins on Social Media

Top
  Thank you for visiting TamilBrahmins.com

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.

We depend on advertising to keep our content free for you. Please consider whitelisting us in your ad blocker so that we can continue to provide the content you have come here to enjoy.

You can also donate financially if you can. Please Click Here on how you can do that.