• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Marriage is like contract between husband & wife: Mohan Bhagwat

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

By Bagish K Jha, TNN The_Times_Of_India.

RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat gave yet another controversial statement terming marriage as social contract between husband and wife in a function on Saturday in Indore.

"A husband and wife are involved in a contract under which the husband has said that you should take care of my house and I will take care of all your needs. I will keep you safe. So, the husband follows the contract terms. Till the time, the wife follows the contract, the husband stays with her, if the wife violates the contract, he can disown her," Bhagwat told a rally here yesterday.

Serving out an advice for happy marriage life, RSS chief said marriage is successful only when wife look after the household things and husband looks after the earning and outside work. "This system is also good for society and ensure proper order in society," Bhagwat said.

I think senile people should be banned from opening their mouth and showing their stupidity.

RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat gave yet another controversial statement terming marriage as social contract between husband and wife in a function on Saturday in Indore.

"A husband and wife are involved in a contract under which the husband has said that you should take care of my house and I will take care of all your needs. I will keep you safe. So, the husband follows the contract terms. Till the time, the wife follows the contract, the husband stays with her, if the wife violates the contract, he can disown her," Bhagwat told a rally here yesterday.

Serving out an advice for happy marriage life, RSS chief said marriage is successful only when wife look after the household things and husband looks after the earning and outside work. "This system is also good for society and ensure proper order in society," Bhagwat said.

I think senile people should be banned from opening their mouth and showing their stupidity.

In essence I also hold the view that marriage is only a "social contract" and that there is nothing exotic, superhuman, divine, etc., in such a contract. But each such contract is unique and is specifically designed for the particular couple. For example, in my case, my wife was not even a graduate and since I was working in Mumbai at the time of marriage, there was this unspoken understanding just as Mr. Mohan Bhagwat said, "you should take care of my house to the best of your skills and ability, and I promise that I will take care of you to the best of my ability, particularly, financially."

But such a condition may not be workable in every case of marriage and each couple has to consider and decide the terms, imo.

In essence I also hold the view that marriage is only a "social contract" and that there is nothing exotic, superhuman, divine, etc., in such a contract. But each such contract is unique and is specifically designed for the particular couple. For example, in my case, my wife was not even a graduate and since I was working in Mumbai at the time of marriage, there was this unspoken understanding just as Mr. Mohan Bhagwat said, "you should take care of my house to the best of your skills and ability, and I promise that I will take care of you to the best of my ability, particularly, financially."

But such a condition may not be workable in every case of marriage and each couple has to consider and decide the terms, imo.

The social conditions change as the time changes. No one size fits the situation. What worked 50 years ago need not work in the present time.

Sarcastic but true..and who said this system is good for society???to hell with society..you dont have to live for society..you have your own priorities and you both should be happy with whatever you do..society is not the first preference...its your partner...

Dear Sri "Sangom",

I agree with your views and wish to add the following.
The Speech of RSS Chief Shri Mohan Bhagawat is available in "Times Now TV." I give below the English translation provided in the said video clipping:
RSS clarifies Bhagwat's comment-India-TIMESNOW.tv - Latest Breaking News, Big News Stories, News Videos

"For more than 300 years the entire human race has been adamant on its views. They believed that what ever they thought was right. He (human being) became so arrogant that he wanted God to prove his presence through a test tube. He believed that God & the spirit are nothing, it is all because of a root cause. Higgs Boson theory is about how particles merge and separate. It can lead to creation of energy and elements. There is no law to it, there is no relation to the particles. In this universe there is no relation between two entities . Planet earth has been existing for lakhs of years, there is no relation, it is a deal. Theory of Social contract. You now call it a marriage, but ultimately it is a contract. A husband expects his wife to take care of his household and make him happy, in return he is liable to provide safety and security to his wife. And that is how a contract is executed. A husband keeps his wife to fulfill his obligations towards the contract & if you can't execute, then you break the contract. Similarly if a husband is unable to fulfill the terms of the contract, then the wife can break the contract. After this you can enter into a new contract. Every thing is based on a contract."

Unfortunately each news media quoted or misquoted this speech according to its convenience to create news value.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Asaram Bapu symbolizes the rot in masculine India : Shirish Koyal in Times_Of_India

With no election in sight, it seems competitive populism has taken a break, making way for competitive male chauvinism. Interestingly, most of the latter has emanated from the benefactors of a political outfit that vies with others in showering promises of safety, justice and prosperity. These assaults on sensibility began after the death of Nirbhaya, the 23-year-old woman who became victim of a gang of depraved sex marauders in Delhi.

RSS head Mohan Bhagwat started it all by saying crimes against women happen in urban India, not Bharat (read villages and forests). He blamed “western culture” for atrocities against women. By doing so, he brought back memory of Iran’s Ayatollah Khomeini attribution of all evil to “American crotch culture”. Bhagwat topped up his misplaced remark by advising women, at another event, to obey the “theory of social contract” by confining themselves to doing household chores and leaving the earning of money to their husbands. As if on cue from his ideological guru, Kailash Vijayvargiya, a minister in BJP-ruled Madhya Pradesh, told women they would be punished if they crossed their limits. The example of Sita, one of the worst sufferers in Hindu mythology, was ready on Vijayvargiya’s lips. Because she crossed the Laxman Rekha, he told us, Ravan abducted her.

Then VHP leader Ashok Singhal and the Jamaat-e-Islami, both important entities feeding the vicious circle of communalism and fundamentalism, pontificated on the virtues of virginity (that of women, who else?), the evil western culture, dignified clothing (for girls, of course) and the undesirability of co-education.

The utterances of Bhagwat, Singhal and Vijayvargiya have caused consternation, but are unsurprising. Brought up in a feudal and patriarchal set-up, they have deep-rooted prejudices and no desire to acknowledge the change society has undergone organically. Their mindset, authoritarian and very masculine (and anti-woman), is pickled in dogma. These people, as also the Jamaat, can’t be expected to think or talk better.
But what has left one stunned is a statement by Asaram Bapu, a popular religious figure operating out of Gujarat. This is his take on the rape of Nirbhaya:
“Only 5-6 people are not the culprits. The victim is as guilty as her rapists. She should have called the culprits brothers and begged them to stop. This could have saved her dignity and life. Can one hand clap? I don't think so.”
He said he disfavours harsh punishment for the rapists because he feels the law could be misused, as it is in the case of dowry harassment cases.

In one stroke, Asaram Bapu has made himself the symbol of all that is wrong with hollow Indian masculinity. Let’s not call him a male chauvinist. Perhaps a modern-day Ravan would be a more apt description. But then Ravan was supposed to possess some virtues too, didn't he?
In the smiling bearded visage of Asaram Bapu one sees the six faces that stared down on Nirbhaya on the night of December 16, 2012.

Last edited:
yes, marriage is a business, usually a small business, unless if you are of the brangelina kind! what u take or break from the society depends on you and not the society.

I totally disagree!

Marriage is NOT like a contract!

Marriage IS a contract!LOL

I would like to add if both husband and wife do not fulfill their marital obligations per contract then either party should be allowed to terminate it.

Sometimes I feel both husband and wives should be allowed to say Talaq and dissolve the marriage if nothing really works out.

Muslims have Talaq system for the male to lafaz(pronounce) the marriage over(divorce) but females do not have the right to say Talaq.

The Sanskrit word for a disunion/separation is Viyogah.

So instead of Talaq the Hindu husband or wife can pronounce Viyogah and the marriage is dissolved!

It think we Hindus too should adopt this Viyogah system but with some modifications ...that is:

1)Both husband and wife should be given the veto to use.

2)Using it comes with fine..50% of 1 month's income..so that no one will misuse Viyogah system.

This Mr Bhagat is only talking from a male point of view..that a man can disown his wife if she fails to live up to a man's expectations.

He has no idea that many men have been disowned by their wives too cos they failed to live up to the wives expectations!

Last edited:
You are right; we have to wait for a full transcript of what asram bapu said in hindi or gujarati. Sita too begged Ravana in begging, conciliatory and accusing tones, but to no avail. Kakasura was arrogant and paid a small price despite harming Sita as he was forgiven by Rama.

Even western psychologists and sociologists are divided. Some recommend yielding and submission and hope that the rapist will leave the victim alone without any permanent physical damage. Some others recommend, especially if the rapist appears violent, to fight to the extent possible, harm him as much as possible and run away from the scene as soon as possible. The justification is if the rapist is vicious and and has homicidal tendencies, the victim will suffer irrespective of whether she is submissive or resisting. So if the victim becomes aggressive, she has an even chance of coming out of the ordeal with minimum damage.

Perhaps these quotes from manusmriti may be of interest:

[h=2]Strict Punishment for harming Women[/h]8.323. Those who abduct women should be given death sentence.
9.232. Those who kill women, children or scholarly virtuous people should be given strictest punishment.
8.352. Those who rape or molest women or incite them into adultery should be given harshest punishment that creates fear among others to even think of such a crime.
8. 275. One should be punished if he puts false allegations or demeans mother, wife or daughter.
8.389. Those who abandon their mother, father, wife or children without any reasonable reason should face severe punishments.

Dear Sri "Sangom",

I agree with your views and wish to add the following.
The Speech of RSS Chief Shri Mohan Bhagawat is available in "Times Now TV." I give below the English translation provided in the said video clipping:
RSS clarifies Bhagwat's comment-India-TIMESNOW.tv - Latest Breaking News, Big News Stories, News Videos

"For more than 300 years the entire human race has been adamant on its views. They believed that what ever they thought was right. He (human being) became so arrogant that he wanted God to prove his presence through a test tube. He believed that God & the spirit are nothing, it is all because of a root cause. Higgs Boson theory is about how particles merge and separate. It can lead to creation of energy and elements. There is no law to it, there is no relation to the particles. In this universe there is no relation between two entities . Planet earth has been existing for lakhs of years, there is no relation, it is a deal. Theory of Social contract. You now call it a marriage, but ultimately it is a contract. A husband expects his wife to take care of his household and make him happy, in return he is liable to provide safety and security to his wife. And that is how a contract is executed. A husband keeps his wife to fulfill his obligations towards the contract & if you can't execute, then you break the contract. Similarly if a husband is unable to fulfill the terms of the contract, then the wife can break the contract. After this you can enter into a new contract. Every thing is based on a contract."

Unfortunately each news media quoted or misquoted this speech according to its convenience to create news value.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

This is from today's Indian express:

Asaram bapu in Pandharpur satsang:

Quote:
Before the satsang, Asaram said His Monday remarks were taken out of context by the media. "Let them show the complete 15 minute clip.Whatever I said was in reply to question from the general public. A man complained to me that his wife fights with him, I told him you can't clap with one hand," he said. Describing the Delhi gang rape victim as his "daughter and sister" he said, "Why would I side with the perpetrators ... Whatever shown on TV was a distortion of my quotes."

Only Mukesh Ambani knows the value of words and the tricks media play. He always insists on getting a copy of the questions and records the interview from his side as well.

The reason Asaram Bapu changed his tune:
A case was filed in a local court here against spiritual leader Asaram Bapu for his remarks in connection with the Delhi gangrape case and the court has taken cognisance of it.

The complaint case against the spiritual leader was filed by advocate Sudhir Kumar Ojha in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate(CJM) S P Singh, under various sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).

The petitioner charged Asaram Bapu with allegedly insulting women in general and causing hurt to the sentiments of the people by making controversial remarks during his sermon in Rajasthan's Tonk district last week in which he had blamed the Delhi gangrape victim for the incident as much as the rapists.

Ojha prayed for stringent punishment to the spiritual leader for his 'condemnable views' in the Delhi gangrape case at a time when the entire nation was outraged and protests were taking place across the country demanding enactment of strict law against the rapists.

Also from Indian_express

Slammed for his comments on the Delhi gang rape victim, Ahmedabad-based godman Asaram Bapu on Tuesday dished out a range of confused responses - from denial of his remarks that she should have called the rapists her brothers to offering to apologize.

Obviously worried about the erosion of his holy man tag to that of an old man with little regard for women, Asaram, confronted by Times Now, first said the statements published in Tuesday's TOI should not be attributed to him.

"How can I blame the girl (Nirbhaya) for the rape? I am not that cruel," he said. "If I have done something wrong, I will apologize a thousand times."

Addressing a gathering in Sawai Madhopur in Rajasthan on Sunday, Asaram had said that the victim should have addressed the rapists as brothers and pleaded with them to spare her.

"My comments were taken out of context," the Ahmedabad-based guru said on Tuesday. He also denied making remarks against the media earlier in the day. "Why will I call the media barking dogs? If you listen to the recordings of my satsang for half an hour, everything will be clear," he told the TV channel. He said the "barking dogs" remark was intended for someone else.

In another sermon on Monday, Asaram said Nirbhaya shared the blame for her gang rape. "Only 5-6 people are not the culprits. The victim-daughter is as guilty as her rapists...she should have called the culprits brothers and begged before them to stop...This would have saved her dignity and life. Can one hand clap? I don't think so," he had said.

He was widely criticized for the comments. Fazed by that, he lashed out on Tuesday against his detractors allegedly calling the media 'barking dogs'. "First one dog barked. Then another dog barked. Soon all the dogs in the neighbourhood started barking," he said.

The_Times_Of_India

In godmen, we don't trust
Hindustan Times
Many people, especially those in positions of influence, seem to have developed an unstoppable urge to comment on the heinous gangrape of a girl in Delhi by savage drunks on a bus. Now, if they had something useful to contribute to the debate on rape and ways of redressal and prevention, their comments would be welcome. But when so-called godmen like Asaram Bapu come out with absurd and insulting remarks that the poor victim should have taken the name of god, begged for mercy and called the assailants her brothers in order to prevent the rape, they are not only diminishing the girl's heroic struggle but also cocking a snook at the law. A rapist, as all experience shows, is not moved by appeals to a higher entity or susceptible to brotherly feelings. The alarming part of Asaram Bapu's revolting statements is that he has a cult following of millions for whom his word is almost carved in stone. It then becomes incumbent on such a person to speak on such sensitive issues responsibly and with caution.
The godman is not new to controversy. In 2008, two young boys were found dead, many suspect murdered, in his ashram in Ahmedabad. The matter was not taken up in any seriousness and we are no clearer today as to what actually happened to those two boys. Godmen like this also preside over vast wealthy empires in a manner that is almost unaccountable to the law of the land. They have been known to use their followers to act as a shield between them and the law as Asaram Bapu did in the case of the two boys. Under the cloak of spirituality, they seem above the laws which sta-te that you should declare the source of your wealth, all of which, most of them claim, are showered on them by the faithful. Many of them dispense with dangerous advice on health and codes of conduct in public forums, yet the law seems remarkably reluctant to bring them to book.

One reason could be that they are shielded by powerful followers. In the West, too, there are cult leaders who prescribe all sorts of absurd tenets. But they do not enjoy any immunity from the law as seems to be the case here. Asaram Bapu made his name first by his mastery over the Hindu scriptures though we are hard put to find any part in these works which seeks the sort of actions that he has prescribed in order to prevent rape. Anyone propagating this sort of ridiculous and harmful notions about women ought to be brought to book. An investigation into the workings of these ashrams and other organisations purportedly dispensing spiritual advice would at least make these self-styled gurus accountable. These insensitive remarks could serve as a starting point in this exercise. If nothing else, it would dampen the urge on the part of people like Asaram Bapu to contribute their ugly remarks on issues that deal with women's rights.

How does Asaram Bapu know what actually went through the mind of the rape victim?
How is he so sure that she did not call out for God?

And this calling the attackers Brothers etc..it is not going to work.

Once one of my uncle's houses got broken into and my aged uncle was tied up and beaten on his head too and his house was robbed.

My uncle told the young robbers "Tambi..please take what you want but please stop hitting me cos I am an old man"

The reply from the robber was "My father did not sleep with your mother for you to call me your brother!"

So the type of people who attack others have no morals to start with..so now use calling them brothers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back