• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Make Carnatic Music accessible to all

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, it is not even a hobby. I have nothing to do with Carnatic or Hindustani. I follow music just as a minor curiosity, it is fascinating to see sound 'twisted' and made into musical notes. Muthuswami Dikshitar wrote the 'nottuswarams' in Irish Celtic style to please the British masters. The evolution of music is fascinating, caste or no caste.

According to Wikipedia, the violin was introduced into Carnatic music by Baluswami Dikshitar (1786–1858), the younger brother of Muthuswami Dikshitar. He encountered the instrument being played by British bands in colonial Madras, and decided to learn it. The music was mostly Irish and Scottish fiddling, rather than Western classical music. After three years of lessons, he adapted the violin to Carnatic music. It is believed that Muthuswami Dikshitar composed these lyrics to aid his brother master the plain notes on the violin.

Music reaches via 'skype' also, Krish Sir!
Many leading artists are making $$$$ :popcorn:
SX1rPJQrn_k

Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan Sahib Raag Bihag `` Lat Uljhi Suljha Ja Balam ``.mp4 - YouTube
RRJI a return treat for you bade ghulam ali khans bihag

You can find that singing 'dappAngkooththu' songs are much easier than singing 'melody numbers' in film music.

Dear RR ji,

I find singing melody much easier than Dapankuttu.

Dapankuttu needs speed ,precision ,perfect timing and a powerful voice.

I can sing Sharanam Prapadye by Sonu Nigam very easily but I can not sing this Dapankuttu song below.

RR ji have you tried singing Dapankuttu?
Its not easy I feel.

Why dont you try to this song and record it and send it to me to hear?

[video=youtube_share;SuuypjzzqRw]http://youtu.be/SuuypjzzqRw[/video]

Last edited:
According to Wikipedia, the violin was introduced into Carnatic music by Baluswami Dikshitar (1786–1858), the younger brother of Muthuswami Dikshitar. He encountered the instrument being played by British bands in colonial Madras, and decided to learn it. The music was mostly Irish and Scottish fiddling, rather than Western classical music. After three years of lessons, he adapted the violin to Carnatic music. It is believed that Muthuswami Dikshitar composed these lyrics to aid his brother master the plain notes on the violin.

I feel you'll enjoy Prince Rama Varma's workshops if you like Carnatic. His humorous style and earthy language are very refreshing. People like me lack patience to sit through a concert!

Dear RR ji,

I find singing melody much easier than Dapankuttu.

Dapankuttu needs speed ,precision ,perfect timing and a powerful voice.

I can sing Sharanam Prapadye by Sonu Nigam very easily but I can not sing this Dapankuttu song below.

RR ji have you tried singing Dapankuttu?
Its not easy I feel.

Why dont you try to this song and record it and send it to me to hear?

The earliest and 'classical' dappankuthu!

[video=youtube;_k0rAZcUz4g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k0rAZcUz4g[/video]

Dear Renu,

dappAngkooththu songs have a few straight notes only and no intricate sangathis.
When the hero of the film 'Sindhubhairavi' is drunk, he sings the easy dappAngkooththu song in KApi rAgam!! :spit:

Thanni Thotti

The English Note? when will there be a colonial cousins like something for CM in Eng.

Making the sport/cultural extravaganza accessible to all....

the :clock:government has to grant more money to functions like Natyanjali, chidambaram and provide wider coverage than what is there now. For example the coverage on DD is just not of good quality. a Function like Mahabalipuram dance festival gets an audience of about 1000 in that lawn per evening and half of them are foreigners.But this is not covered by any major private channels, no takers again poor quality...some dances are baratnatyam, but there others as well like dappanguthu, there was one dance with the drum used for death dakadaka dakadakadakka....but the steps were very brisk...

Chennai :washing:december fest is more of private practice and private hospitals. the quality of the concerts are very good, again u need to choose. obviously the business gets money and propaganda for obvious reasons of connectivity with 2 airports, and rails etc. I remember once NEYVELI sir said he moved from CHROMPET (periphery MADRAS) TO MYLAPORE just to make himself sharp and close to his big gurus....

Schools, my convent school music teacher gave me some awards, but majority will be for non CM songs.i dont know about other schools in Chennai.

what can u do at an individual :bump:level?? myself and my brother had 2 violins till college and afterwards bought 2 new ones each, buying a total of 6 violins (1 of which is electrical), a yamaha keyboard and a veena..so far... such things promote instrumental businesses...just from money point of view a layman-house owner can subsidise the rental collected from teachers of CM..who want to conduct a school...I have already mentioned about attending paid concerts if affordable..

BUT like IPL, a public private partnership, may be a company like TCS which can sponsor a winter skiing competition in WESTERN EUROPE can sponsor A MUSIC FEST or a COMPETITION at say Mahabalipuram for say 10 days with the backdrop of the seashore temple?

:popcorn:apollo and Nalli are some examples for CM.

RAJI-JI ET AL, know more ..... most of mine are theoretical CM, wisdom from experience is more important....

I have noted some comments against the CULTURAL BUREAUCRACY in CM .....

My mom just says, sing more local language songs like appalam:fish2: ittu paru... Othukaddu's songs are being sung more often now-a-days, she likes that.

Last edited:
Dear Sandhya,

'appaLam ittup pAru', a c
omposition of Sri. Ramana Maharishi,
is not an easy song!

See how my favorite singer Abhishek renders it as a rAgamAlikai!

Abhishek Raghuram ---- Appalam ittu paaru

when it is sung in tamil, and i understand it, there is no music, in my opinion, to beat carnatic music. the ragas are a natural inducement to shake our head, clap our hands and make faces, all with complete unrhythm, but with joy and ecstasy.

too bad they kill the concerts with telugu kannada and sanskrit stuff!! anyway that has been my take all along.

thank you dear lady raji for this delightful concert bit here..

Dear Renu,

dappAngkooththu songs have a few straight notes only and no intricate sangathis.
When the hero of the film 'Sindhubhairavi' is drunk, he sings the easy dappAngkooththu song in KApi rAgam!! :spit:

Thanni Thotti

RR ji,

Kindly record the song and send me..I want to hear you sing Dapankuttu cos I can not sing Dapankuttu at all cos its not easy.

I will record Sharanam Prapadye and send it to you...we can exchange singing.

I thought it meant to wrap-it-up warmly.....BTW, the green bar extends geometrically after 35%?:clock:

With you tube and wiki making knowledge and even the skill of learning free, if you have the aptitude then you can learn the music!

However what we can do is create more schools of Carnatic Music so that there can be mass education!

Dear Ganesh Sir,

In most of the Hindu schools in Sing. Chennai, there are teachers to teach slOkams and Carnatic music.
A team is selected by the teachers to sing the prayer songs at the commencement of each day. :pray:
As Sri. T M S told in one interview, those who can not sing S P S' correctly will find it difficult to learn Carnatic music! :ballchain:

Dear Ganesh Sir,

In most of the Hindu schools in Sing. Chennai, there are teachers to teach slOkams and Carnatic music.
A team is selected by the teachers to sing the prayer songs at the commencement of each day. :pray:
As Sri. T M S told in one interview, those who can not sing S P S' correctly will find it difficult to learn Carnatic music! :ballchain:

I am not talking of that..In fact we had Vocational courses which included Music for class 9 & 10 in CBSE too..

I am referring to advanced schools for Music..Other than the Government college of Music, I am not finding so many institutes teaching Carnatic Music (Vocal & Instrumental)...

Currently it is more of Guru-Sishya type only..That is my concern...

During the earlier Congress rule all Government function used to have an invocation..Now in the Dravidian set up, Carnatic Music is considered Brahmanical and not given center stage

Let us have more of Music schools...Can be even part time..

No one should be constrained because of non availability of good music schools..

Incidentally, if we open more schools will there be demand..May be we have to give scholarships to sustain demand!

Easiest and simplest way is to give permission to universities and colleges to start unaided music courses in all levels; teacher's salary to be met by nominal grant and fees collected. Many vocational courses are run this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back