• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

MahAperiyavA's teachings and messages

Status
Not open for further replies.
A great moment in life to seek the blessings of Maha Periyava:

“The noble couple of M.S. Subbulakshmi (MS) and Sadasivam is in a serious financial crisis and need some urgent help. Please plan something to bring them out of this crisis immediately”. In the beginning of 1979 PVRK Prasad, the Executive Officer Of Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam (TTD) received two such urgent telegram messages from His Holiness the Paramacharya of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswati and from His Holiness Bhagwan Sri Satya Sai Baba Of Puttaparthi.
Messages like that from holy giants can unnerve any mammoth personality and the poor Prasad was no exception. But what shocked Prasad more at that moment was not the status of the senders but the content of their message.
“What happened to MS and why did she land in such a situation that demanded the intervention of divine personalities?” and why do the divine personalities want Prasad to help?
MS has millions of fans all over the world and they will not keep quite if they come to know that their beloved music queen is going through such a bad financial crisis. However, the noble couple will not accept any unsolicited favor and it is now for the TTD to plan something for her and see that she’s adequately compensated for that. TTD has done that earlier and something similar should be done now and that is also what the holy giants are expecting Prasad to do.
However again, it is not as simple as it sounds and there is no better person than Prasad to understand that. Prasad conducted an immediate inquiry through his official sources in the city of Madras, where the noble couple lives, and found out that “MS and Sadasivam have sold off their Kalki estate in Madras and moved into a small rented house in Valluvar Kottam, a desolate place those days in the suburbs of old Madras.Sadasivam was running a newspaper by name Kalki that unfortunately ran into huge losses forcing the couple to resort to such an extreme measure of selling their huge asset to clear off a large amount of loans”.
This unpleasant information really saddened Prasad, a great fan of MS. Wiping off his tears he stood in front of the huge portrait of Lord Venkateswara with folded hands and made a very humble submission. ”Swamy, singing your bhajans all over the world this great lady served you with utmost devotion so far in her life. Organizing everything for her in time Sadasivam was always there with her at every point.
Although she could have demanded any amount of money from the organizers of her concerts she was always happy with whatever was offered to her. Above all, she has donated most of her earnings to charity and now at this stage of her life is this what you offer her Swamy ? Don’t you think this is unfair? They are also couple of high self esteem and do not seek favors from anyone not even from God.. How do you expect them to lead a normal life hereafter? I am really feeling sad for them now and don’t know what to do. Swamy Venkateswara, it is for YOU to guide me properly and help me in doing something for her immediately.”
Without wasting any more time Prasad called for an emergency meeting of the TTD Board and sought measures from its experts to provide whatsoever relief possible to MS immediately.
Almost all in one voice all the members said “Sir, we are very unhappy and sad to hear about the pathetic state of Smt.MS and Sri.Sadasivam. However sir, it is our duty to remind you that she is already the Asthana Vidwan of TTD and is as such enjoying some honorarium and privileges from us. Although we are all eager to help her in this hour of crisis, we are afraid, there’s nothing more we can do at this juncture sir. TTD is answerable to the ministry of endowments and is not empowered to take certain decisions on its own.”
A real tricky situation arose for the government run body to offer some relief to a great personality like MS who definitely deserves a better and more appropriate attention. But quite miraculously and almost immediately that appropriate attention came from none other than The Holy Lord Sri Venkateswara Himself. And this incident is a standing testimony to that.
That evening a much disturbed Prasad went to offer his last prayers of the day to Lord Sri Venkateswara, the presiding deity of the holy Tirumala temple. After offering his prayers, Prasad was walking out of the main temple and exactly at that time a very small incident occurred there…Quite miraculously; this small incident later heralded a golden era in the history of Indian classical music. As he was walking out of the main temple Prasad found a small group of poor singers sitting right in front of the temple singing bhajans in praise of the holy Lord. As though halted by an invisible hand Prasad stood there for a few minutes. He was spellbound by the amazing talent of those folk singers and more so by their rustic style of singing.
After a few more moments of silent listening Prasad smiled and smiled with a great sense of relief and smiled with an amazing feeling of satisfaction. Watching Prasad smile the holy Lord smiled and watching the holy Lord smile the whole of Tirumala smiled and watching the whole of Tirumala smile the five elements of Nature too smiled. And later those historic smiles scripted an epoch making chapter in the history of Indian classical music that not only provided immense relief to MS forever but also launched her into immortality in the world of devotional music that later earned her a well deserved highest civilian award of India, the “Bharat Ratna”.
The very next morning a much more relaxed Prasad left for Kanchi and met Kanchi Paramacharya in His holy abode. After he was granted private audience by the Paramacharya of Kanchi,Prasad explained Him in detail about his plan of action to offer assistance to MS . Prasad said “Swamy, after receiving your telegram about MS amma I was very disturbed.I called for an emergency meeting of the TTD executive board and asked for suggestions but nothing concrete came out. With a disturbed mind, the same evening I visited Lord Venkateswara and sought His guidance and blessings in helping MS amma immediately. As I was coming out of the holy sanctum sanctorum I saw a group of poor singers sitting in front of the main temple singing Annamacharya keerthanas in praise of the holy Lord. Not only was I spell bound by their devotional singing but also felt immensely light and happy as a great idea to help MS was born in my mind at that moment. I have then decided to visit your Holiness and explain in detail about my plan of action”
As though He knows what Prasad was about to say, Paramacharya smiled and asked Prasad to continue. Prasad continued “Centuries ago Saint Annamacharya wrote and composed a number of keerthanas (raaga based devotional songs praising the divine qualities of Gods) on Lord Venkateswara but only a few of them have seen the light of the day..However there are many more gems groping in darkness that need to be brought out and publicized further. Earlier TTD has done some work in this direction but there is a lot more that still needs to be done now”
Prasad continued “According to my plan, your Holiness,TTD will now identify a few unknown keerthanas of Annamacharya and I on behalf of TTD will personally visit MS and request her to sing those keerthanas for TTD.So far in her career she has only recorded Saint Thyagaraja’s keerthanas and never attempted Annamacharya keerthanas. That way, I am sure she will be impressed with my proposal and will agree to record Annamacharya keerthanas for us. Later, TTD shall sell those records to millions of devotees who visit the holy Tirumala every year. This will generate a lot of revenue and will help MS a great deal as she becomes eligible to enjoy the royalty generated from the sales.After that, her family will never need to look around for their survival”
Pleased with what Prasad has said the ever smiling Paramacharya stated ”Prasad, God expresses Himself in many inexplicable forms and exposes His presence in many mysterious ways. May be the Lord Venkateswara Himself appeared before you in the form of those poor singers you say you have seen in front of the temple..May be the group itself was an optical illusion created by Him.May be those singers are Gandharvas in human form and sang those Annamacharya keerthanas only for you to give you an idea about what needs to be done for MS. May be you are the only one who has seen them or heard them singing. May be those singers have disappeared after you smiled and left the place. Who knows? ”
Unable to believe what the Paramacharya was trying to convey a frozen Prasad remained speechless as His Holiness continued. “Dear Prasad, everything in this world is part of Nature’s cosmic scheme and every worldly act, whether good or bad, has a divine purpose behind it. Do you think God will keep quite when someone who served Him for decades is suffering from pain..?? Since He cannot present Himself before us, He uses tools like you and me for getting His things done..God knows His job pretty well Prasad so don’t be ignorant and do not ever blame Him for anything.”
Still unable to believe what he had experienced, a visibly shaken Prasad prostrated himself before the divine feet of Paramacharya who is revered by many in the world as an AVATAR” (reincarnation)of Lord Siva.
Blessing Prasad, the Paramacharya said “Your idea is brilliant Prasad.. MS has millions of fans all over the world and they will come running to help her in this hour of crisis. But MS and Sadasivam are a very reserved couple with an unimaginable degree of high self esteem and honour. So far they lived life on their own terms and will never accept any unsolicited favor not even from God. So be careful. They should not think you have come to them to offer financial assistance. If they smell it they will reject your offer outright. This is a sensitive situation, so handle carefully. Good luck”
Later things moved in quick succession and it didn’t take much time for Prasad to get the necessary approvals for the proposed Annamacharya music album project from the TTD Board. Ramesan, the then chairman of the TTD board was very much pleased with his executive officer’s idea as he felt that it will not only empower the TTD Board to help a legendary divine singer like MS in her hour of crisis, but will also provide a great deal of publicity to many hidden melodious keerthanas of Saint Annamacharya…
One fine morning, carrying a neatly packed portrait of Lord Sri Venkateswara,Prasad along with Ramesan and a couple of other officials went to the small rented house of MS in Madras. First, MS’s husband Sadasivam came out. Ramesan handed over the portrait to him and Sadasivam very happily received it with a warm “thank you very much”. Then Prasad explained Sadasivam in detail about the reason behind their visit to the house of the noble couple.
Prasad said “Maastaaru,you know pretty well that TTD does quite a lot of promotional activities to promote rich Indian culture and traditional values. Now we want to actively promote many Annamacharya keerthanas that are so far unknown to the world..Our plan is to bring out a five volume LP records (Long Play microgroove record used for recording sound in analog format for gramophone records in olden days) containing some rare Annamacharya keerthanas. Each volume may have up to ten keerthanas and all in all there may be about fifty keerthanas in the whole album.”
Initially Sadasivam felt very happy with the offer but rejected it when he came to know that the keerthanas are written in Telugu language. He said “Our sincere thanks to TTD for coming up with this offer but you know pretty well that M.S likes to have command over the language she sings in. Though in Telugu, she has still recorded many Thyagaraja keerthanas earlier as she was practicing them since her childhood. However, to do the same now at this age will be very difficult for her since she never practiced Annamacharya keerthanas so far and it will be a herculean task for her to do it now..She needs at least one week time to practice one Telugu keerthana and you say there are about fifty keerthanas for which she may need almost an year…At this age of sixty three it’s not fair to trouble her with such a strenuous job…It doesn’t work Prasad and am very sorry for that.”
As the problem came back to square one, Prasad started feeling jittery and nervous. With all the helplessness in the world he gave a blank look at Lord Venkateswara in the portrait lying in front of him. And it was exactly at that moment, the Great Music Queen walked In Prasad and other TTD officials quickly got up in her honor and greeted her with folded hands. Requesting them to feel comfortable she then looked at the portrait of Lord Venkateswara that was kept on a small table in front of her.
What happened later was a scene to be seen to be believed. With extreme devotion MS immediately picked up the portrait with both her hands; closed her eyes for almost a minute; offered silent prayers to her beloved Lord Venkateswara in the portrait; later with tears running down her cheeks she gently placed her head at His holy feet saying in a low tone “Perumaal,ennai aasirvadhikka ithana dhooram neengale vandhuttela .. ??” (Tamil) (Oh my Venkateswara did you come all the way to bless me).
What a voice? What a devotion? And what a total surrender to her Lord Perumal? How did she get it and where did she get it from..??But why is that hidden pain in the great singer’s voice..??What happened? Is it due to the poor and stress filled conditions this evergreen queen of music is forced to live in for some time? Hey Bhagwan, what a painful time for this great lady?
Prasad who has grown up listening to MS’s devotional songs could not stand the pathetic condition of his favorite music queen, who in her times of glory walked many Red carpets around the world, now standing in front of him in a simple cotton saree.He was finding it extremely difficult to control his emotions but a tear drop still emerged at the right corner of his left eye, which he silently erased before someone else noticed it.
In the meantime Sadasivam gave a brief explanation to MS in Tamil about the Annamacharya music album proposal from TTD. She immediately said”..It’s a God sent opportunity to me and am ready to face any hardships to accomplish this task.I have got a chance to offer my services to Perumal and I will not let this opportunity go” With her firm statement MS brought smiles on everyone’s face there.
After a lot of deliberations it was decided not to burden the music queen with too much of practice and confine Annamachaya keerthanas only to first three LP records and then fill the rest of the two records with great Sanskrit literary works of other divine personalities.
Thus according to their revised plan the Annamacharya music album shall contain three LP records with rare Annamacharya keerhanas like Brahma kadigina paadamu, Naanaati batuku naatakamu,Jo Acyutananda Jojo Mukunda,Sri Mannarayana and a few more gems.
The other two LP records shall include Ganesha Pancharatnam, Madhurashtakam, Gita Govindam, Nama Ramayanam, Hanuman Chalisa, Lakshmi ashtotram, Sri Venkateswara Karavalamba Sthotram, Govindashtakam, Kanakadhara Sthavam, Durga Pancharatnam, Ranganadha Gadyam, Dwadasa Sthotram and Sivashtakam.
After all the discussions related to the music album are over, then came the most crucial phase of finalizing remuneration to the music queen which Prasad was feeling very nervous about.
Since that was the main motive behind their gathering there, Prasad mustered some courage to initiate the dialogue by saying “Amma,we are all very happy that you have agreed to take up this assignment. .May your Perumal’s blessings be with your family forever..Now with your kind permission Ammaa, I would also like to discuss about the remuneration” Prasad has not yet completed the sentence…
The music queen quickly interrupted him saying -”What remuneration? ? No remuneration .It’s a service to Perumal and am honored to get this offer.Don’t bring money in between. I will not take a single rupee for this work.”
A fully sweat filled Prasad looked worriedly at every one of his colleagues. They were all looking at him with a request to carry their burden too. Prasad knows pretty well that these are the most crucial and sensitive moments the Paramacharya cautioned me about. Folding his hands and silently offering his prayers to Lord Sri Venkateswara, Prasad started saying in a very humble tone “Amma,I agree fully that you are offering your services to your Perumal and who am I to put that to question..I also have a great respect for your feelings and your devotion towards Perumal. However Amma,I have a very humble submission to make and I hope you appreciate and understand me for that..”
MS was listening to Prasad quietly. Prasad continued.”Amma,TTD is not going to donate this album free of cost to every devotee visiting Tirupati..In fact TTD is planning to promote this album in a commercial way by selling it across all its counters in India and abroad.This will generate a lot of money for TTD and we are only requesting you to take a little amount of money from it as you are
legally entitled to receive that. The holy body of TTD is not in a position to take the services of a great devotee like you free of cost and later be blamed for that”
As everyone was listening to him, Prasad continued with folded hands. “Amma,as the executive officer of TTD am also a humble servant of Lord Venkateswara and will always be answerable to Him for every work done in the organization..I also feel that this album is the design of your Perumal Himself and that is why we are all here today. Anyways Amma, I am like your son and I said what I wanted to say. Please forgive me Amma, if you find anything wrong in what I have conveyed, I now leave the decision to you and your Perumal.”
The absolute honesty in Prasad’s emotion filled voice impressed everyone there including the noble couple of MS and Sadasivam. There was an echoing silence there for about a few minutes with blank faces staring at each other.
Finally the ice was broken as the music queen smiled and agreed with Prasad’s view point. Prasad looked thankfully at the portrait of Lord Sri Venkateswara that is there in front of him. After discussing a few more points the historical meeting concluded on a positive note leaving every one there with utmost satisfaction.
Finally Prasad shot the million dollar question.”What should be the title of this Annamacharya music album?” Prompt came the reply from the music queen-“Balaji Pancharatnamala” (Page 1)

A great moment in life to seek the blessings of Maha Periyava:

“The noble couple of M.S. Subbulakshmi (MS) and Sadasivam is in a serious financial crisis and need some urgent help. Please plan something to bring them out of this crisis immediately”. In the beginning of 1979 PVRK Prasad, the Executive Officer Of Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam (TTD) received two such urgent telegram messages from His Holiness the Paramacharya of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswati and from His Holiness Bhagwan Sri Satya Sai Baba Of Puttaparthi.
Messages like that from holy giants can unnerve any mammoth personality and the poor Prasad was no exception. But what shocked Prasad more at that moment was not the status of the senders but the content of their message.
“What happened to MS and why did she land in such a situation that demanded the intervention of divine personalities?” and why do the divine personalities want Prasad to help?
MS has millions of fans all over the world and they will not keep quite if they come to know that their beloved music queen is going through such a bad financial crisis. However, the noble couple will not accept any unsolicited favor and it is now for the TTD to plan something for her and see that she’s adequately compensated for that. TTD has done that earlier and something similar should be done now and that is also what the holy giants are expecting Prasad to do.
However again, it is not as simple as it sounds and there is no better person than Prasad to understand that. Prasad conducted an immediate inquiry through his official sources in the city of Madras, where the noble couple lives, and found out that “MS and Sadasivam have sold off their Kalki estate in Madras and moved into a small rented house in Valluvar Kottam, a desolate place those days in the suburbs of old Madras.Sadasivam was running a newspaper by name Kalki that unfortunately ran into huge losses forcing the couple to resort to such an extreme measure of selling their huge asset to clear off a large amount of loans”.
This unpleasant information really saddened Prasad, a great fan of MS. Wiping off his tears he stood in front of the huge portrait of Lord Venkateswara with folded hands and made a very humble submission. ”Swamy, singing your bhajans all over the world this great lady served you with utmost devotion so far in her life. Organizing everything for her in time Sadasivam was always there with her at every point.
Although she could have demanded any amount of money from the organizers of her concerts she was always happy with whatever was offered to her. Above all, she has donated most of her earnings to charity and now at this stage of her life is this what you offer her Swamy ? Don’t you think this is unfair? They are also couple of high self esteem and do not seek favors from anyone not even from God.. How do you expect them to lead a normal life hereafter? I am really feeling sad for them now and don’t know what to do. Swamy Venkateswara, it is for YOU to guide me properly and help me in doing something for her immediately.”
Without wasting any more time Prasad called for an emergency meeting of the TTD Board and sought measures from its experts to provide whatsoever relief possible to MS immediately.
Almost all in one voice all the members said “Sir, we are very unhappy and sad to hear about the pathetic state of Smt.MS and Sri.Sadasivam. However sir, it is our duty to remind you that she is already the Asthana Vidwan of TTD and is as such enjoying some honorarium and privileges from us. Although we are all eager to help her in this hour of crisis, we are afraid, there’s nothing more we can do at this juncture sir. TTD is answerable to the ministry of endowments and is not empowered to take certain decisions on its own.”
A real tricky situation arose for the government run body to offer some relief to a great personality like MS who definitely deserves a better and more appropriate attention. But quite miraculously and almost immediately that appropriate attention came from none other than The Holy Lord Sri Venkateswara Himself. And this incident is a standing testimony to that.
That evening a much disturbed Prasad went to offer his last prayers of the day to Lord Sri Venkateswara, the presiding deity of the holy Tirumala temple. After offering his prayers, Prasad was walking out of the main temple and exactly at that time a very small incident occurred there…Quite miraculously; this small incident later heralded a golden era in the history of Indian classical music. As he was walking out of the main temple Prasad found a small group of poor singers sitting right in front of the temple singing bhajans in praise of the holy Lord. As though halted by an invisible hand Prasad stood there for a few minutes. He was spellbound by the amazing talent of those folk singers and more so by their rustic style of singing.
After a few more moments of silent listening Prasad smiled and smiled with a great sense of relief and smiled with an amazing feeling of satisfaction. Watching Prasad smile the holy Lord smiled and watching the holy Lord smile the whole of Tirumala smiled and watching the whole of Tirumala smile the five elements of Nature too smiled. And later those historic smiles scripted an epoch making chapter in the history of Indian classical music that not only provided immense relief to MS forever but also launched her into immortality in the world of devotional music that later earned her a well deserved highest civilian award of India, the “Bharat Ratna”.
The very next morning a much more relaxed Prasad left for Kanchi and met Kanchi Paramacharya in His holy abode. After he was granted private audience by the Paramacharya of Kanchi,Prasad explained Him in detail about his plan of action to offer assistance to MS . Prasad said “Swamy, after receiving your telegram about MS amma I was very disturbed.I called for an emergency meeting of the TTD executive board and asked for suggestions but nothing concrete came out. With a disturbed mind, the same evening I visited Lord Venkateswara and sought His guidance and blessings in helping MS amma immediately. As I was coming out of the holy sanctum sanctorum I saw a group of poor singers sitting in front of the main temple singing Annamacharya keerthanas in praise of the holy Lord. Not only was I spell bound by their devotional singing but also felt immensely light and happy as a great idea to help MS was born in my mind at that moment. I have then decided to visit your Holiness and explain in detail about my plan of action”
As though He knows what Prasad was about to say, Paramacharya smiled and asked Prasad to continue. Prasad continued “Centuries ago Saint Annamacharya wrote and composed a number of keerthanas (raaga based devotional songs praising the divine qualities of Gods) on Lord Venkateswara but only a few of them have seen the light of the day..However there are many more gems groping in darkness that need to be brought out and publicized further. Earlier TTD has done some work in this direction but there is a lot more that still needs to be done now”
Prasad continued “According to my plan, your Holiness,TTD will now identify a few unknown keerthanas of Annamacharya and I on behalf of TTD will personally visit MS and request her to sing those keerthanas for TTD.So far in her career she has only recorded Saint Thyagaraja’s keerthanas and never attempted Annamacharya keerthanas. That way, I am sure she will be impressed with my proposal and will agree to record Annamacharya keerthanas for us. Later, TTD shall sell those records to millions of devotees who visit the holy Tirumala every year. This will generate a lot of revenue and will help MS a great deal as she becomes eligible to enjoy the royalty generated from the sales.After that, her family will never need to look around for their survival”
Pleased with what Prasad has said the ever smiling Paramacharya stated ”Prasad, God expresses Himself in many inexplicable forms and exposes His presence in many mysterious ways. May be the Lord Venkateswara Himself appeared before you in the form of those poor singers you say you have seen in front of the temple..May be the group itself was an optical illusion created by Him.May be those singers are Gandharvas in human form and sang those Annamacharya keerthanas only for you to give you an idea about what needs to be done for MS. May be you are the only one who has seen them or heard them singing. May be those singers have disappeared after you smiled and left the place. Who knows? ”
Unable to believe what the Paramacharya was trying to convey a frozen Prasad remained speechless as His Holiness continued. “Dear Prasad, everything in this world is part of Nature’s cosmic scheme and every worldly act, whether good or bad, has a divine purpose behind it. Do you think God will keep quite when someone who served Him for decades is suffering from pain..?? Since He cannot present Himself before us, He uses tools like you and me for getting His things done..God knows His job pretty well Prasad so don’t be ignorant and do not ever blame Him for anything.”
Still unable to believe what he had experienced, a visibly shaken Prasad prostrated himself before the divine feet of Paramacharya who is revered by many in the world as an AVATAR” (reincarnation)of Lord Siva.
Blessing Prasad, the Paramacharya said “Your idea is brilliant Prasad.. MS has millions of fans all over the world and they will come running to help her in this hour of crisis. But MS and Sadasivam are a very reserved couple with an unimaginable degree of high self esteem and honour. So far they lived life on their own terms and will never accept any unsolicited favor not even from God. So be careful. They should not think you have come to them to offer financial assistance. If they smell it they will reject your offer outright. This is a sensitive situation, so handle carefully. Good luck”
Later things moved in quick succession and it didn’t take much time for Prasad to get the necessary approvals for the proposed Annamacharya music album project from the TTD Board. Ramesan, the then chairman of the TTD board was very much pleased with his executive officer’s idea as he felt that it will not only empower the TTD Board to help a legendary divine singer like MS in her hour of crisis, but will also provide a great deal of publicity to many hidden melodious keerthanas of Saint Annamacharya…
One fine morning, carrying a neatly packed portrait of Lord Sri Venkateswara,Prasad along with Ramesan and a couple of other officials went to the small rented house of MS in Madras. First, MS’s husband Sadasivam came out. Ramesan handed over the portrait to him and Sadasivam very happily received it with a warm “thank you very much”. Then Prasad explained Sadasivam in detail about the reason behind their visit to the house of the noble couple.
Prasad said “Maastaaru,you know pretty well that TTD does quite a lot of promotional activities to promote rich Indian culture and traditional values. Now we want to actively promote many Annamacharya keerthanas that are so far unknown to the world..Our plan is to bring out a five volume LP records (Long Play microgroove record used for recording sound in analog format for gramophone records in olden days) containing some rare Annamacharya keerthanas. Each volume may have up to ten keerthanas and all in all there may be about fifty keerthanas in the whole album.”
Initially Sadasivam felt very happy with the offer but rejected it when he came to know that the keerthanas are written in Telugu language. He said “Our sincere thanks to TTD for coming up with this offer but you know pretty well that M.S likes to have command over the language she sings in. Though in Telugu, she has still recorded many Thyagaraja keerthanas earlier as she was practicing them since her childhood. However, to do the same now at this age will be very difficult for her since she never practiced Annamacharya keerthanas so far and it will be a herculean task for her to do it now..She needs at least one week time to practice one Telugu keerthana and you say there are about fifty keerthanas for which she may need almost an year…At this age of sixty three it’s not fair to trouble her with such a strenuous job…It doesn’t work Prasad and am very sorry for that.”
As the problem came back to square one, Prasad started feeling jittery and nervous. With all the helplessness in the world he gave a blank look at Lord Venkateswara in the portrait lying in front of him. And it was exactly at that moment, the Great Music Queen walked In Prasad and other TTD officials quickly got up in her honor and greeted her with folded hands. Requesting them to feel comfortable she then looked at the portrait of Lord Venkateswara that was kept on a small table in front of her.
What happened later was a scene to be seen to be believed. With extreme devotion MS immediately picked up the portrait with both her hands; closed her eyes for almost a minute; offered silent prayers to her beloved Lord Venkateswara in the portrait; later with tears running down her cheeks she gently placed her head at His holy feet saying in a low tone “Perumaal,ennai aasirvadhikka ithana dhooram neengale vandhuttela .. ??” (Tamil) (Oh my Venkateswara did you come all the way to bless me).
What a voice? What a devotion? And what a total surrender to her Lord Perumal? How did she get it and where did she get it from..??But why is that hidden pain in the great singer’s voice..??What happened? Is it due to the poor and stress filled conditions this evergreen queen of music is forced to live in for some time? Hey Bhagwan, what a painful time for this great lady?
Prasad who has grown up listening to MS’s devotional songs could not stand the pathetic condition of his favorite music queen, who in her times of glory walked many Red carpets around the world, now standing in front of him in a simple cotton saree.He was finding it extremely difficult to control his emotions but a tear drop still emerged at the right corner of his left eye, which he silently erased before someone else noticed it.
In the meantime Sadasivam gave a brief explanation to MS in Tamil about the Annamacharya music album proposal from TTD. She immediately said”..It’s a God sent opportunity to me and am ready to face any hardships to accomplish this task.I have got a chance to offer my services to Perumal and I will not let this opportunity go” With her firm statement MS brought smiles on everyone’s face there.
After a lot of deliberations it was decided not to burden the music queen with too much of practice and confine Annamachaya keerthanas only to first three LP records and then fill the rest of the two records with great Sanskrit literary works of other divine personalities.
Thus according to their revised plan the Annamacharya music album shall contain three LP records with rare Annamacharya keerhanas like Brahma kadigina paadamu, Naanaati batuku naatakamu,Jo Acyutananda Jojo Mukunda,Sri Mannarayana and a few more gems.
The other two LP records shall include Ganesha Pancharatnam, Madhurashtakam, Gita Govindam, Nama Ramayanam, Hanuman Chalisa, Lakshmi ashtotram, Sri Venkateswara Karavalamba Sthotram, Govindashtakam, Kanakadhara Sthavam, Durga Pancharatnam, Ranganadha Gadyam, Dwadasa Sthotram and Sivashtakam.
After all the discussions related to the music album are over, then came the most crucial phase of finalizing remuneration to the music queen which Prasad was feeling very nervous about.
Since that was the main motive behind their gathering there, Prasad mustered some courage to initiate the dialogue by saying “Amma,we are all very happy that you have agreed to take up this assignment. .May your Perumal’s blessings be with your family forever..Now with your kind permission Ammaa, I would also like to discuss about the remuneration” Prasad has not yet completed the sentence…
The music queen quickly interrupted him saying -”What remuneration? ? No remuneration .It’s a service to Perumal and am honored to get this offer.Don’t bring money in between. I will not take a single rupee for this work.”
A fully sweat filled Prasad looked worriedly at every one of his colleagues. They were all looking at him with a request to carry their burden too. Prasad knows pretty well that these are the most crucial and sensitive moments the Paramacharya cautioned me about. Folding his hands and silently offering his prayers to Lord Sri Venkateswara, Prasad started saying in a very humble tone “Amma,I agree fully that you are offering your services to your Perumal and who am I to put that to question..I also have a great respect for your feelings and your devotion towards Perumal. However Amma,I have a very humble submission to make and I hope you appreciate and understand me for that..”
MS was listening to Prasad quietly. Prasad continued.”Amma,TTD is not going to donate this album free of cost to every devotee visiting Tirupati..In fact TTD is planning to promote this album in a commercial way by selling it across all its counters in India and abroad.This will generate a lot of money for TTD and we are only requesting you to take a little amount of money from it as you are
legally entitled to receive that. The holy body of TTD is not in a position to take the services of a great devotee like you free of cost and later be blamed for that”
As everyone was listening to him, Prasad continued with folded hands. “Amma,as the executive officer of TTD am also a humble servant of Lord Venkateswara and will always be answerable to Him for every work done in the organization..I also feel that this album is the design of your Perumal Himself and that is why we are all here today. Anyways Amma, I am like your son and I said what I wanted to say. Please forgive me Amma, if you find anything wrong in what I have conveyed, I now leave the decision to you and your Perumal.”
The absolute honesty in Prasad’s emotion filled voice impressed everyone there including the noble couple of MS and Sadasivam. There was an echoing silence there for about a few minutes with blank faces staring at each other.
Finally the ice was broken as the music queen smiled and agreed with Prasad’s view point. Prasad looked thankfully at the portrait of Lord Sri Venkateswara that is there in front of him. After discussing a few more points the historical meeting concluded on a positive note leaving every one there with utmost satisfaction.
Finally Prasad shot the million dollar question.”What should be the title of this Annamacharya music album?” Prompt came the reply from the music queen-“Balaji Pancharatnamala” (Page 1)
hi
i know shri PVRK Prasad and his wife...when i was student in Tirupati....i got certificate from shri PVRK prasad...very nice

gentleman and great devotee of Balaji...

Significance of December 19th

In the entire Bagavatham, Vamana Avataram and Kuchela Charithram are my most favorite ones. I can listen to them 1000 times, no problem. I am sure most of you know this – Sudhama is the real name – “Kuchela” is a derived name. The poverty of Sudhama shows up in his physical form, his torn clothes etc, which got this name. In movies, this character is always portrayed like a joker, which is very wrong. Sudhama was in his highest level of atma sakshathkaram – he was a great mahan! Please listen to Sri Anantharama Dikshitar or Nochur Sri Venkataraman’s lectures on Bhagavatam – amazing…. In my humble opinion, there can’t be any better stories to emphasis the glory of veda and to show that Baghawan is dearest to a true vaideekas. All the servants in the palace have been instructed to treat vaidheekas like emperors. While greatest emperors wait outside to meet Krishna, Sudhama is brought inside the palace with no wait at all. Krishna and Rukmini are doing padha prakshalanam (sp?) and prokshanam after washing Sudhama’s feet when he visits Krishna’s palace. When Krishna asks Sudhama, “how are you? how is your life?”. Sudhama quickly replies “I am fully contented with your blessings”. Only others know how much his family was suffering etc. Krishna knew this too and He smiles. As the story is known to all of us, He blesses Sudhama with all wealth etc – who wants to leave His most dearest devotee to suffer? It ends nicely.
HH Pudhu Periyava very beautifully says that the phrase “Krishnam Vandhe Jagadgurum” fits Mahaperiyava very aptly. Mahaperiyava was God and Jagadguru like how Krishna is. We have read so many incidents how Periyava respects vaidheekas and helped vaidheekas and his anger erupted like a volcano when any vaidheeka was disrespected by anyone.
Tomorrow Dec 19th is Sudhama’s Day. Let us all pray Sudhama, Lord Krishna and HH Mahaperiyava, HH Pudhu Periyava and HH Bala periyava to bless us with more knowledge and vedic knowledge to progress.

Jay SreeGuruvayurappa….19th December Wednes day is “Kucheeela Dinam”. Kucheeela Dinam is observed on the first Wednesday of Malayalam month “Dhanu”. It was on this day that Sudhama forced by unbearable penury, left for Dwaraka with a handful of “Avil” to meet his beloved friend Sreekrishna…..Aval is offered to Bhagavan Krishna on this day by devotees. It is believed that offering prayers on the day will help to attain bliss and material prosperity…….Jay SreeKrishna ..All parents are requested to tell the blessed life of Sree Sudhama – “an ardent devotee of Bhagawan SreeKrishna”, to your children …..
Bhagavan SreeKrishna and Sudhama ,a poor Brahmin boy were close friends when they were studying at the ashram of Sage Sandipani. After leaving the hermitage they lose contact with each other. Krishna becomes the king of Dwaraka, while Kuchela married to Suseela and had many children ,but he remained poor. As Sudhama was an ardent devotee he earned food for his family by singing bhajans in the streets. People called him “Kuchela” (‘Kuchela’ means badly clothed )as he wore torn and ragged clothes.But Kuchela was not affected by his povertyand He continued to be as pious as ever. As requested by his wife Suseela, Kuchela decides to visit his old friend.. Lord SreeKrishna… For him it was a chance to renew their friendship than asking for assistance. He wanted to take something for Krishna that he would love. According to our scriptures, one should not go empty handed while visiting the elders, rulers, pregnant ladies, teachers or God. His wife went to neighbors and brought three handfuls of cooked rice flakes. She told her husband to take the rice flakes as gift to Sri Krishna. Sudhama remembers that beaten rice is Krishna’s favorite and decided to give this as a gift to the Lord.On the way he thinks “Will Krishna recognise me? Will he receive me, a poor brahmin? Krishna is so large hearted he will receive any brahmin, even the poorest of the poor.” So thinking he proceeds on foot a distance of maybe a hundred miles.
Krishna is sitting in his house with Rukmini when he sees Kuchela coming. He runs off to meet Kuchela. He sheds tears of joy. .. Narayana….Kuchela is invited inside and taken to the seventh floor of the palace and treated well. Bhagawan lovingly seats Kuchela on the couch and honours him by laving his feet, applying sandal paste on his feet, offering flowers at his feet, performing dhupa, deepa, etc. .. Jay Sree Karunya Sindhoo….Standing by his side, Rukmini devi the Consort of Krishna, plies the fly whisks to relieve his tedium of the long and arduous trek. Like this they talked on far into the night, holding each other by the arm, when Krishna suddenly asked “Sudama, have you not brought anything for me?.” Sudama looked abashed. Noticing this Krishna suddenly snatched the packet from under his arm and opening it exclaimed “Excellent! I like nothing better!” and grabbing a little put it into his mouth and ate it with relish! “Ha!! how sweet it is!” and he ate another handful. When he took another handful for a third time, Sri Rukmini devi who was MathaSree Lakshmi herself caught hold of his hand whispering “Enough! Enough! With two handfuls I have already made him rich beyond dreams!”Krishna stopped and Sudama did not understand what all this whispering was about. Leaving him comfortably in a velvet bed,Krishna retired. Sudama could not sleep for a long time thinking over the events of the day “A poor Brahmin like me ! An ill clad beggar ! I have been embraced by the lord of all wealth as if I was his own brother. Ha The magnanimity of the great!” Full of thankfulness Sudama felt that he was in heaven and slowly fell asleep. Early morning he woke up Krishna was ready in attendance. After some time it is time for kuchela to go. Bhagavan Krishna did not give any gift and neither did Kuchela ask for any .He thought” I did not ask for anything. I know why he did not give me any gift. Wealth would spoil my tapas (penance). How kind is the lord!” Thinking like this, he slowly wended his way back ,homeward. When Kuchela returns home he finds that his hut has miraculously been turned into a palace. The Lord had showered prosperity on his family even without asking for it. His wife comes out to great him with great happiness and told him that the night before, some angels had knocked at the door with very precious gifts and had requested her and the children to come out. They were “Viswakarma” the engineer architect of Indra, lord of heaven, and his men . In a few minutes they built this wonderful Palace with outhouses and orchards and lawns., rivaling those of Lord Indra in heaven. Kubera, god of wealth was also there with his vast treasures. The servants, ornaments, provisions had all materialized from the air in a trice. As she was describing all this wonder the children came trooping in dressed like princes and bright like flowers in the garden. Kuchela too changed into golden attire, though he felt a little uncomfortable. Not only Kuchela, but also his neighbors had become rich beyond their dreams. Thus Sudama the Brahmin though surrounded by luxury lived like a recluse with great restraint, remembering that all this prosperity was due to Krishna’s kindness his grace and attained the supreme grace from which there is no return
This story proves us that the Lord does not differentiate between people based on their finances and that he will reward devotion always. Another moral taught by this story is to never expect anything free in life; God will provide for your good deeds. Another moral is not to trade bhakti for anything in return. Sudama did not ask Krishna for anything. Despite being poor Sudama had given Krishna everything he had (poha); in return the Lord gave Sudama everything he needed…
Jay Bhaktha Sudhama… SreeKrishnarppanamasthu…

Story of Adhi Shankara - to be seen by everyone. It is for a duration of an hour and 21 minutes.
produced by Shringeri Mutt.

Sada Siva Samarambham Shankaracharya Madhyamam
Asmath Aacharya Paryantham Vandhe Guru Parambaram
Guru Saranaara Vindhabyam Namo Namaha

The Sage Of Kanchi - Sri Chandrasekarendra Saraswathi Swamigal -Background

The Kanchi Sankaracharya math is one of the principal monastic institutions founder by Adi Sankaracharya, for the
safeguarding of the vedic dharma and propagation of the advaitic discipline.

The 68th Acharya in this line of acharyas is Sri Chandrasekarendra Saraswati Swamigal, fondly known as Periyava .
This world renowned Acharya seems to be verily an incarnation of Adi Sankara, according to scholars and thinkers
who have analyzed and compared the lives of the two.

The austere and simple life led by the ancient sages of Bharat, particularly the physical endurance displayed by them
in the pursuit of Dharma and self-realization, has been a subject of marvel and doubt for those who have read and
heard about the sages of yore, but when one behlods the benign and calm countenance of the sage of Kanchi, he
can easily realize that all he has heard and read about seers of the old is but a true account.

Periyava the 68th Acharya, The sage as is affectionately called by the fortunate millions, Yes, those are fortunate
people who have had the opportunity to have his loving grace and see him in person. He was a true saint who lived
in the 20th century even though he was the head of a great institution he never let go of his sanyasa dharma and
was a beacon for the common man to lead a meaningful and dharmic life.

He was a living proof to the fact that dharmic and vedic life can still be practiced in mankind's worst times.
He has been a guiding force for the transformation of millions of people.

We are all blessed to live in his era, it is solely due to him that the vedas and dharma are prevalant now,
just as Sri Krishna promised in Gita, that he will arrive when Dharma declines to its sublime low, Our great
Periyava had taken avatar just when our vedas and Dharma started to die and he has revived the vedas
and dharma, we human kind remain ever indebted to him.

The Acharya belongs to the Hoysala Bhramin Sect. The hoysala bhramin sect migration started in the
third decade of the 13th century when the hoysala rulers came to maintain a hold on kannanur (near Srirangam).

Acharyas purvashrama name was Swaminathan and was the second son to Ganapathy Shastry and
Mahalaxmi Ammal. He was born on 20 May 1894, at the age of eigth swaminathan was sent to , then in
second form he got admitted to Arcot American Mission School.

In 1905 Upanayanam was performed. Swaminathan from an very age showed great signs of a budding
genuis and a compasionate soul.

According to one incident when swaminathan was in 3rd form, one of the classmates had come late
to class and the teacher punished him by beating on his legs, then he was asked to stand on the bench,
for which swaminathan said "Teacher can I please stand on the bench instead of this boy, he is already
suffering from pain in his legs" Such was the love and compassion he possessed even at a early age.

The 66th Acharya of kanchi was touring in the south Arcot district of Tamilnadu, occasionally Swaminathan's
brother used to take him to visit the then Acharya. On one such occasion the Acharya noted the radiant
brilliance of Swaminathan and thought of selecting the boy as the next head of the Math. The idea got
strengthened during some subsequent visits, even Swaminathanwas drawn very much towards the ascetic life.

At the Age of 13th swaminathan was appointed the 68th Acharya, before Swaminathan his cousin Lakshmi
Kanthan was appointed 67th Acharya, but he died the 8th day after being appointed as the Acharya.

The acharya had education under various eminent scholars, but every teacher who taught him realized
that they were mere instruments and the Acharya was already an embodiment of the great knowledge.

Acharya undertook his first vijaya yathra, it will be surprise to note that he embarked on Kasi yathra and
covered every part of the country in the process by foot and preached dharma to the masses. This first Kasi
Yathra took 21 Years to complete, yes 21 full years to complete on Kasi yathra. He undertook 3 such vijaya yathras.

This was the main catalyst behind what we now know as the bhakthi movement in our country, this resulted
in all temples to be revived and people to follow dharmic life.

There are hundreds and thousands of good things he has performed without any pomp and glory. Every day
there would be miracles happening where ever he went but he carefully showcased as if it was not through
him but by peoples faith in the gods and goddesses.

He always wanted people to cultivate faith on the gods than any human being since one day all human
beings will cease to exist but the temples and gods will always be there.

The Acharya lived a complete 100 Years and finally attained samathi on 8th January 1984. Even though
he is not there physically he still radiates his presence through this divine grace on all the blessed people.

There is a fitting memorial built for the Acharya in Orikkai village next to Kanchipuram. Blessed are those who
can take a squirrels part in this divine mission, imagine how proud and fortunate our grand children and great
children will be when they can take pride in saying that my great ancestors were part of this great temple.
Imagine how proud we will be if our ancestors had played a part in building the Great Tanjore temple or the
Meenakshi amman temple.

There is a saying in tamil which goes like this "Thread radiates fragrance when a flower is tied with it",
similarly in this world if we need to save ourselves from falling into the deep ravines of selfishness and
unwanted influence then we all need to hold on the feet of a Guru. This Guru has taken avatar only to
save us from the cluthes of the evil influence which Kali purports.

In Bagavath Geeta, Sri Krishna has said that whenever Dharma reaches its low, i will take avatar to
restore it. In earlier days (Thretha Yuga etc) there were good people and there was Asuras, it was
easy for the lord to destroy the Asuras and uphold Dharma, but in todays world there is no seperate
good people and asuras.

The Asura bhuddi is within every human mind, so sometime the person is a very good person and
very next moment he behaves like a asura. So the lord thought how to tackle this situation, he
cannot kill someone when he behaves like a asura because next moment the same person behaves
humanely.

So he threw away all the weapons and came down with a stick as a Guru, because since the demon
is within our minds, only a guru can remove the ignorance from our minds and make us humans.

His teachings are compiled into a series of booklets collectively called the Voice of God "Deivathin
Kural", the problem with hinduism is that there is no one book which can be said to describe hinduism,
this was fulfilled with the compilation of our Acharyas discourses called "Deivathin Kural"

Mahaperiyava's Observations

கும்பகோணத்தில் மடம் இருந்தபோது, ஒருநாள் பெரியவா ப்ரும்மசூத்ர பாஷ்ய பாடம் சொல்லிக்கொண்டிருந்தார்.
ஒரு வித்வான் ஏதோ சந்தேகம் கேட்கவும், பெரியவா “பாமதி” யிலோ, “பரிமளத்தி”லோ இதுக்கு விஸ்தாரமா பதில் இருக்கு. அத படிச்சா போறும்………மடத்து லைப்ரரில அந்த புஸ்தகம் இருக்கா பாக்கலாம்” என்றார்.
லைப்ரரி பொறுப்பாளர், அதை யாரோ வித்வான் எடுத்துக்கொண்டு போயிருப்பதாக சொன்னார்.
அதே சமயம் தெருக்கோடியில் பேரீச்சம்பழக்காரன் குரல் கேட்டது.
“பழைய புஸ்தகத்தை போட்டுட்டு செலபேர் பேரீச்சம்பழம் வாங்கியிருப்பா……..ஒடனே போய் அவன்ட்ட இருக்கற அத்தனை புஸ்தகங்களையும் வெலைக்கு வாங்கிண்டு வா” என்று ஒரு தொண்டரை அனுப்பினார்.
ஒரு கட்டு புஸ்தகத்தோடு அவர் வந்தார். எல்லாம் அபூர்வமான சம்ஸ்க்ருத புஸ்தகங்கள்! பழுப்பேறின காகிதம்!
“சாஸ்த்ரிகளே! என்னென்ன புஸ்தகம் இருக்குன்னு பாருங்கோ!”
வரிசையாக படித்துக்கொண்டே வந்தார். ……….”பாமதி”யும், “பரிமள”மும் ” அதில் இருந்தன!
பாஷ்ய பாடம் நடக்கும் போது பேரீச்சம்பழக்காரன் வருவானேன்? இல்லாத புஸ்தகங்கள் விலைக்கு வாங்கின புஸ்தகங்கள் நடுவில் இருப்பானேன்?
விடை காண முடியாத கேள்வி!

Balasubramanian

Attachment towards Animals

மடத்துக்கு சொந்தமான நிலத்திலிருந்து வேர்க்கடலை அறுவடையாகி வந்தது. அத்தனை மூட்டைகளையும் மானேஜேர் எப்போதும் போல் விலைக்கு விற்றுவிட்டார். பெரியவா திடீரென்று வேர்க்கடலை வந்ததை நினைவில் வைத்துகொண்டு “இருக்கிறதா” என்று கேட்டனுப்பினார். சிப்பந்திகளுக்கு கூட வைக்காமல், அத்தனையும் வித்தாயிற்று என்று சொல்ல மானேஜருக்கு பயம். அதனால் ஆட்களை அனுப்பி, களத்தில் தர்மத்துக்கென விட்டு வந்ததை பொறுக்கி கொண்டு வர சொன்னார்.

ஆனால் ஆட்கள் போனபோது, களம் அடியோடு காலி. அந்த அசகாய சூரர்கள், அதற்காக சும்மா திரும்பி வரவில்லை. வயலிலிருந்த எலி வளைகளை துளைந்து பார்த்தார்கள்! அவற்றில், ஓரளவு ஒரு மூட்டையே கிடைத்தது! சந்தோஷமாய் எடுத்து வந்து சன்னதியில் சேர்த்தார்கள்.
“இது ஏது?” அயனான கேள்வி ஐயன் வாயிலிருந்து வந்தது.
“அஸ்வத்தாமா ஹத; குஞ்சரஹ;” பாணியில், “நம்ம நிலத்துலேர்ந்துதான் கொண்டு வந்தது” என்று பதில் சொன்னார்கள்.
ஆனால் அங்கே உலகம் “அசடு” என்று கருதும் ஓர் உண்மை விளம்பியும் இருந்தான். அவன், “நெலத்துல இருந்த எலி வங்குலேர்ந்தாக்கும் இத்தனை கடலை தோண்டி எடுத்தது!” என்று கக்கிவிட்டான். பெரியவாளுக்கு அது சற்றும் ஏற்கவில்லை. “பாவம்! அல்ப ஜீவன்கள் ஏதோ தங்க வயித்துக்காக எடுத்துண்டு போய் சேமிச்சு வெச்சதயா நாம சூறயாடிண்டு வரது?”
மானேஜரை கூப்பிட்டார். “இந்த வேர்க்கடலயோட இன்னம் பொட்டுக்கடலையும் வெல்லமும் கலந்து, அந்த எலி வங்குக்குள்ளேயெல்லாம் போட்டுட்டு வரணும். உடனே ஏற்பாடு பண்ணு”
வேர்க்கடலை பறிமுதல் பண்ணினதுக்கு, தாக்ஷிண்ய தக்ஷிணையாக பொட்டுக்கடலையும், வெல்லமும்! பாகின் மூலச்சரக்கும், பருப்பும் கலந்து கரிமுகத்தூமணியின் ஊர்திக்கு படைக்கிறார் நம் அருள் பாட்டனார்!
————————————————————————————————
மகாராஷ்ட்ரத்தில் ஓரிடத்தில் பெரியவா முற்றிலும் அந்தர்முகமாக ஜபயோகத்திலிருந்தபோது, ஒரு பெரிய கருநாகம் அவருக்கு பின் பாங்காக குடை பிடித்துகொண்டிருந்தது. இன்று இதை படிக்கும் நாம், நாகம் குடை பிடிக்கும் லிங்கபிரானாக, ஸ்ரீமன் நாராயணனாக பெரியவா தரிசனம் தந்தார் என்று பாடலாம். ஆனால், இன்று நேரில் கண்ட இரு தொண்டர்களுக்கோ குலை நடுக்கம்தான்! தாங்கள் சிறிய அதிர்வை உண்டாக்கினாலும் நாகம் குருநாதனை தீண்டிவிடக்கூடுமே என்பதால் அலமாந்து “ஈஸ்வரோ ரக்ஷது;” அவரே அவரை ரக்ஷது;” என்று விட்டுவிட்டனர். நல்ல காலமாக படத்தை விட்டு விட்டு, பாம்பு ஒரு துவாரத்தின் வழியாக போய் விட்டது.
பெரியவா ஜபம் முடிந்து எழுந்ததுதான் தாமதம்! பாரிஷதர், அந்த துவாரத்தை அடைக்க முற்பட்டார். பெரியவா காரணத்தை வினவினார். பாரிஷதர் நடந்ததை சொன்னார்.
“அதுக்காக? நாம என்னமோ நேத்திக்கு வந்தோம். நாளைக்கே இங்கே விட்டுட்டு போய்டுவோம். நாம வரதுக்கு முன்னாடியும், பின்னாடியும் இந்த எடம் என்னென்னவோ ஜீவராசிகளுக்கு வாசஸ்தலமா இருந்தது, இருக்கப்போறது! நடுவாந்த்தரத்துல நாம அதுகள் எடத்துல வந்து பூந்துண்டது போறாதுன்னு………….நம்மாத்துக்குள்ள வந்து பூந்துண்டவன், நாம உள்ளே வரப்படாதுன்னு கதவை அடைச்சா எப்டி இருக்கும்?”
துவாரத்தை அடைப்பதை தடுத்துவிட்டார். “நமக்கு அது ஒரு ஹிம்சையும் பண்ணாதபோதே, “இனிமே பண்ணும்”ன்னு இப்பவே நாம நெனச்சுண்டு அதுகளை ஹிம்சை பண்ணினா எப்படி நியாயம்?”

Maha Periyava's views about Patachala Children

ஏழை பாட்டி ஒருத்தி அப்பளம், வடகம் இட்டு, பெரியவாளுக்காக மடியாக பண்ணிக்கொண்டு வந்ததாக கூறி, சமர்ப்பித்தாள். கனிவுமயமாக அவளிடம் கூறினார் பெரியவா……..
” லோகம் நன்னா இருக்கணும்னா வேதம் இருந்துண்டே இருக்கணும். அப்படி இருக்க பண்றதுக்காகதான் என்னால ஆனதெல்லாம் பண்ணிண்டிருக்கேன். கஷ்டப்பட்டு ஆளை சேர்த்து அங்கங்கே வேத பாடசாலைகள் நசிச்சு போகாம காப்பாத்தி குடுக்க முயற்சி பண்ணிண்டிருக்கேன்.
வேற எந்த படிப்பு படிச்சு எந்த தொழிலுக்கு போனாலும் கை நிறைய சம்பளம்னு இருக்கற இந்த நாள்லயும் என் வார்த்தையை கேட்டுண்டு சில தாயார் தோப்பனார் பசங்களை பாடசாலைக்கு அனுப்பிசிண்டிருக்கா……என்னை நம்பிண்டு கொழந்தைகளை ஒப்பு கொடுத்திருக்கா…. வரப்போற காலத்திலையும் வேதம் போய்டாம கொஞ்சமாவது ரக்ஷிச்சு கொடுக்க போற அந்த குழந்தைகள்தான் எனக்கு உயிர் மாதிரி………ஆனதுனால, நீ என்ன பன்ன்றேன்னா…..சின்ன காஞ்சிபுரத்துல மடத்து பாடசாலை இருக்கு…….அங்கே சுந்தரம் ன்னு சமையல் பாத்துக்கறவன் இருக்கான். அவன்ட்ட, ஒன் அப்பளம், கருடாத்தை குடுத்து குழந்தைகளுக்கு வறுத்து போட சொல்லு. நான் சொன்னேன்னு சொல்லு. அதுகள் அப்பளாம், கருடாம் பாத்தே எத்தனையோ காலமாயிருக்கும். அதனால சந்தோஷமா சாப்டும். அதுவே எனக்கு பரம சந்தோஷம்………நம்மை நம்பிண்டு அதுகளை அனுப்பினதுக்கு பதிலா, நாமும் ஒண்ணு பண்ணினோம்னு சந்தோஷம்”
பெரியவாளின் சரீரதிற்காக கொண்டு வந்த தின்பண்டங்கள், அவரது உயிரான வேதம் பயிலும் சிறுவர்களுக்கு செல்வதில், பாட்டிக்கும் ரொம்ப சந்தோஷம்.

Maha Periyava's concern about Shivachariayars

ஒருநாள் விடியக்காலம் ஞான பானுவை தன்னுள் கொண்ட காஞ்சி மடம் மெல்ல விழித்துக்கொண்டிருந்தது. ரம்யமான அதி தெய்வீகமான சூழல். பெரியவாளுடைய விஸ்வரூப தர்சனம் முடிந்து அவரவர் அனுஷ்டானங்களில் மூழ்கி இருந்தனர். தன்னுடைய அணுக்கத் தொண்டர்களிடம் அந்த நேரம் பெரியவா விஸ்ராந்தியாக பேசிக்கொள்ளுவது உண்டு. அன்றும் அப்படியே பொழுது விடிந்தது……
“ஏண்டா……நம்மூர்ல எத்தனையோ ஆயிரக்கணக்கான கோவில் இருக்கு. ஆனா, அந்தக் கோவில்ல இருக்கற அர்ச்சகா எல்லாரும் மூணு வேளை நிம்மதியா சாப்டறாளோ? ….மதுரைவீரனுக்கு ஏதோ கெடச்சதை வெச்சு நைவேத்யம் பண்ற கிராமத்துப் பூஜாரில்லாம் சந்தோஷமா இருக்காளோ? பெருமாளுக்கு பொங்கலையும் புளியோதரையையும் நைவேத்யம் பண்ற பட்டாச்சார்யார் குடும்பமெல்லாம் வயத்துக்கு மூணுவேளை சாப்ட்டுண்டு இருக்காளோ?…..இதையெல்லாம் யாராவுது அப்பப்போ விஜாரிக்கறேளோ?..”
பெரியவா இதுபோல் ஏதாவது விஷயத்தை பீடிகையுடன் ஆரம்பித்தால், அதில் ஆயிரம் விஷயங்கள், அர்த்தங்கள் இருக்கும். எனவே எல்லாரும் “நிச்சயமாக தங்களுக்கு இதெல்லாம் தோன்றியதே இல்லை” என்ற உண்மையை ஒத்துக்கொள்வது போல், பேசாமல் முழித்தார்கள்.
“……ஏன் கேக்கறேன்னா….ஏதோ மூணு நாலு கோவில்ல இருக்கற அர்ச்சகா மட்டும் நன்னா இருந்தா போறாது. பகவானுக்கு சேவை பண்ற எல்லாரும் நன்னா இருக்கணும்னு யோசிங்கோ!..” என்று சொல்லிக்கொண்டிருக்கும்போதே ராமலிங்க பட் என்ற குஜராத்தி ப்ராம்மணர் வந்து நமஸ்கரித்தார். பெரியவாளிடம் மிக மிக ஆழ்ந்த பக்தி கொண்டவர், ஆசாரம் அனுஷ்டானம் கடைப்பிடிப்பவர்கள் லிஸ்டில் இவருடைய பெயர் இருக்கும். சென்னை IIT யில் ப்ரொபஸராக இருப்பவர். நமஸ்காரம் பண்ணியபின் மெதுவாக ஒரு ஓரமாக ஒதுங்கி நிற்கலாம் என்று திரும்பி நடந்தவரை, வலக்கையின் நடுவிரலையும்,கட்டைவிரலையும் சேர்த்து போடும் “டொக்” கென்ற பெரியவாளுக்கே உரித்தான சொடக்கு சத்தம் திரும்பிப் பார்க்கவைத்தது. ஆள் காட்டி விரலால் “இங்கே வா” என்று சைகை பண்ணினார். விடியக்காலை தர்சனத்திலேயே ஒருமாதிரி ஆனந்த மயக்கத்தில் இருந்த ராமலிங்க பட், பெரியவா தன்னை அழைத்ததும் திக்குமுக்காடிப் போனார். பவ்யமாக அருகில் வந்து நின்றார்.
“ஒன்னோட ஒருமாச சம்பளத்த எனக்கு குடுப்பியா?…..” குழந்தை மாதிரி கேட்டதும், நெக்குருகிப் போனார் பட். மோக்ஷத்தையே அனாயாஸமாக பிக்ஷையாகப் போடும் தெய்வம், ஒரு மாச சம்பளத்தை கேட்கிறதே! என்று அதிர்ந்து பேச நா எழாமல் நின்றார்.
“என்ன….. யோசிக்கறே போலருக்கு?……ஏதோ, இன்னிக்கு காலங்கார்த்தால ஒன்னை பாத்தேன்னோல்லியோ…..கேக்கணும்னு தோணித்து. கேட்டுட்டேன். குடுப்பியா?…..” மறுபடியும் குழந்தை ஸ்வாமி கேட்டது. வேரறுந்த மரம் மாதிரி பாதத்தில் விழுந்தார் பட்.
“பெரியவா ஆக்ஞை! எங்கிட்டேர்ந்து என்ன வேணுன்னாலும் எடுத்துக்கலாம். இந்த ஜன்மால எனக்கு இதைத் தவிர வேறென்ன ஸந்தோஷம் நிலைக்கப் போறது?…” உடனேயே நாலாயிரம் ரூபாயை பெரியவாளின் திருவடியில் சமர்ப்பித்தார். அவரிடமிருந்த வந்த பணத்தை கொண்டுதான் “கச்சிமூதூர் அர்ச்சகா டிரஸ்ட்” துவங்கப்பட்டு, வருமானம் குறைந்த அர்ச்சகர்கள்,பூஜாரிகளுக்கு இன்றுவரை உதவி செய்துகொண்டு வருகிறது.
டிரஸ்ட் துவங்கியதும் வேதமூர்த்தி என்பவர் ” ஹிந்து” பேப்பரில் விரிவான செய்தியாக எழுதியிருந்தார். பெரியவா அதைப் படித்துப்பார்த்து ரொம்ப சந்தோஷப்பட்டார். அப்போது அங்கே வந்த ராகவன் என்ற ஆடிட்டரிடம் “இந்த ஹிந்து பேப்பர்ல வந்திருக்கே….இதை எனக்கு ஆயிரம் காப்பி ஜெராக்ஸ் மெட்ராஸ்ல எடுத்துத் தருவியா?…” குழந்தை ஸ்வாமி கேட்டார். ராகவனுக்கோ சந்தோஷம் தலைகால் புரியவில்லை.உடனே ஜெராக்ஸ் எடுத்துக்கொண்டு வந்து குடுத்தார்.
“ஜெராக்ஸ் எடுத்ததுக்கு பில் எடுத்துண்டு வந்தியோ?….”
“இல்லே பெரியவா…..ஆத்துல இருக்கும்”
“மெட்ராஸ்ல IIT ல ராமலிங்க பட்…ன்னு ஒர்த்தன் இருப்பான்…அவன்ட்ட அந்த பில்லைக் குடுத்துட்டு காசு வாங்கிக்கோ! ஜெராக்ஸ் போட்டுக் குடுத்ததே நீ பண்ணின பெரிய கைங்கர்யம்…” சிரித்துக்கொண்டே ஆசிர்வதித்தா

How Lord Madhavan save's - an example

கர்நாடகா மகாராஷ்டிரா எல்லைப் பகுதியில் பெரியவா யாத்ரை பண்ணிக் கொண்டிருந்தார். ராமதுர்க என்ற கிராமத்தில் உள்ள ஒரு ஆற்றில் வெள்ளம் கரைபுரண்டு ஓடிக் கொண்டிருந்தது. எல்லோரும் ஆனந்தமாக நதியில் ஸ்நானம் பண்ணினார்கள். பெரியவா கரையில் அமர்ந்து ஜபம், அனுஷ்டானங்களை பண்ண தொடங்கினார்.
எல்லாம் முடிந்ததும் அருகில் இருந்த ரெண்டு சிஷ்யர்களை கூப்பிட்டு, ” ரெண்டு பேரும் ஒங்களோட மேல் துண்டை கீழ போடுங்கோடா !” என்றார். யாருக்கும் ஏன்? என்று புரியவில்லை. மிக மிக புதுமையான உத்தரவு! போட்டார்கள். பெரியவா சுற்றி அங்கே இங்கே பார்த்தார்……….மக்கள் நடமாட்டமே இல்லாத அந்தப் பகுதியில் ஒரே ஒரு குட்டிப்பையன் நின்று கொண்டு பெரியவாளை பார்த்துக் கொண்டிருந்தான்.
“இந்தாடா……….கொழந்தே! இங்க வா” சைகை பண்ணி அழைத்தார். வந்தான். நதி மேற்கிலிருந்து கிழக்காக இரு கரைகளையும் ஒட்டி அசாத்தியமாக சுழித்து சுழித்து ஓடிக் கொண்டிருந்தது. பெரியவா அந்த குட்டிப்பையனிடம் கன்னடத்தில் ” இ இரடு பட்டகளை ஹத்ர நதி ஓரதல்லி இதாளே…….அந்த யங்குஸ்தர்கடே கொடப்பா! ” [இந்த ரெண்டு வஸ்த்ரங்களையும் அதோ ஆத்தோரம் தெரியற பொண்ணுகிட்ட குடு] என்று சொன்னார்.> > அந்த பையனும் எதிர் கரைக்கு நீந்தி போய், நீருக்குள் மூழ்கி, தலையை மட்டும் வெளியில் வைத்துக் கொண்டிருந்த அந்த பெண்ணிடம் ரெண்டு வஸ்த்ரங்களையும் குடுத்தான். கிட்டத்தட்ட ஒரு மணிநேரத்துக்கும் மேலாக அந்த பெண் அதே நிலையில் அமர்ந்திருந்திருக்கிறாள். பாவம்!
ஆற்றின் சுழிக்கும் வேகத்தில், அவளுடைய வஸ்த்ரங்கள் போயே போய்விட்டன ! எப்படி வெளியே வருவாள் ? வீட்டுக்கு எப்படிப் போவாள்? படிப்பறிவு சற்றும் இல்லையானாலும், பண்பாடு போகவில்லையே அந்த கிராமத்துப் பெண்களுக்கு!
“இந்த சனங்கல்லாம் எப்பத்தான் இந்த எடத்தை விட்டு எழுந்து போவாங்களோ!” என்று மடத்தினரைப் பார்த்து அவள் நொந்து போயிருக்கக்கூடும். யாத்ரையில் வந்தவர்கள் பார்வை நூறடிக்கப்பால் போகவில்லை. அவசியமும் ஏற்படவில்லை. அவளுடைய இக்கட்டான சூழ்நிலை பெரியவாளுக்கு தெரியாமல் யாருக்கு தெரியும்? அந்தர்யாமியில்லையா? த்ரௌபதி “கோவிந்தா” என்று அலறியதும், எங்கோ த்வாரகையில் இருந்தாலும், அவளுடைய அந்தர்யாமியாகவும் இருப்பவன் அவன்தானே! ஓடி வந்து அவள் மானத்தை காப்பாத்தவில்லையா? இந்த பெண் மனஸில் போட்ட ஓலம் கேட்டு, தானே முன்வந்து, அவள் மானத்தை காத்தார். அவள் மேல் துண்டுகளை சுற்றிக் கொண்டு, வெளிய வந்து அங்கிருந்தபடியே ஒரு கும்பிடு போட்டுவிட்டு, வீட்டை நோக்கி போனாள்.

Pasupathy - an eye catcher

பசு இன்னா இப்டி ஒதைக்குது? கண்ணு ஊட்டிட்டாப்ல இல்ல இருக்குது! ஆனா கன்னு தறில கட்னபடிக்கா இருக்குதே! இதென்னா அக்குறும்பு?’என்று அலுத்து கொள்கிறார், ஸ்ரீ மடத்து இடையர். உள்ளே நம்ம பெரியவா குறும்பு குழந்தையாக சிரித்து கொள்கிறார்.
“பாதி ராத்ரில கன்னு “அம்மா”ன்னு கத்தித்து [தம் வயிற்றை தட்டி காட்டி] அதுக்கு போறலைன்னு தெரிஞ்சுது.நான்தான் யாருக்கும் தெரியாம போய் [தம் திருட்டுத்தனத்தை தாமே ரசித்து நகைத்து] கன்னை அவுத்து விட்டேன். அது வயிறு முட்ட முட்ட ஊட்டித்து, அப்புறம்……எங்கேயாவது ஓடிட போறதேன்னு பிடிச்சு கட்டிட்டும் வந்துட்டேன். அதுதான் கறக்க விடமாட்டேங்கறது!”என்றார் அருகிலிருந்தவர்களிடம்.
இம்மாதிரி நிகழ்ச்சி பலமுறை நடந்ததுண்டு!
—————————————————————————————————————
பசுக்கள் தண்ணீர் பருகுவதை அன்பு நயனங்களால் பருகிகொண்டிருந்த பெரியவாளிடம், ஒரு கன்று துள்ளி ஓடிச்சென்றது. புனித திருவுருவின் மீதே அது உராய்ந்து நிற்க, பாரிஷதர்கள் அதை பிடித்து கட்ட விரைந்தனர்.
பெரியவா “வேண்டாம்” என்று சைகை செய்தார். யாருமே தீண்டாத தெய்வ திருமேனியை உராய்ந்து, பேறு பெற்றுக்கொண்டிருந்தது அந்த கன்று சற்று ஸ்வாதீனம் பெற்று, பெரியவாளின் உள்ளங்காலை மோந்து, நக்கவும் தொடங்க, உள்ளம் நிறைந்த அவரும் அதை முதுகை கோதி கொடுத்தார்.
சரியாக அந்த சமயம். வடமதுரையிலிருந்து வந்த ஒரு சாது, பெரியவாளின் திருக்கோலத்தை கண்டதும் ஆனந்த பாஷ்பம் அடைந்தார்.
“பீதாம்பரதாரியாக, பசுக்கள் சூழ, ஸ்ரீ சரணத்தை கன்று நக்க, கொட்டிலில் விளங்கும் என் கோவிந்த கோபாலனை பிரத்யக்ஷமே கண்டேனே!” என்று நா தழுவி தழுக்க கூறினார்.
விட்டுப்போன அம்சமான, பச்சை துளசி மாலையும் வர, அதனையும் அணிந்து அந்த வடமதுரை சாதுவிற்கு அருளினார்.

An event to remember -

ஹாஸ்பெட் நகரில் முகாம்.
பிற்பகல் சுமார் ரெண்டு மணிக்கு, திடீரென்று, “டேய்! அந்த சமையல் கட்டையும், சாப்பாடு நடந்த மண்டபத்தையும் ஒடனே காலி பண்ணச் சொல்லுங்கோ! அன்னபூரணி கோவிலை ஒட்டினாப்ல இருக்கற இடத்துக்கு போகச் சொல்லுங்கோ!”
பெரியவா அவசர உத்திரவிட்டார்.
இட்லிக்கு மாவு அரைத்துக்கொண்டிருந்த பாரிஷதர்
“அஞ்சே நிமிஷம். அரைச்சதை எடுத்து வெச்சுடறேன்…” என்றதும்
“போட்டது போட்டாப்ல ஒடனே வெளில வரச்சொல்லு! “
அதிலும் பரம பரம காருண்யம்……..
“சமையக்கட்டுல ஒரு பூனையும், குட்டிகளும் இருக்கும். அதுகளையும் வெளில தொரத்திடுங்கோ!”
பரபரவென்று உத்தரவானதும், பூனை அம்மா, குட்டிகள் சஹிதம் அத்தனை பேரும் ஓட்டமாய் மண்டபத்தை விட்டு வெளியே ஓடி வந்தனர்….
அடுத்த அரைமணி நேரத்தில், என்ன காரணமோ, மண்டபம் மெதுவாக சரிய ஆரம்பித்தது!
பெரியவா “ஆப்ரம்ம கீட ஜனனி” இல்லியா? அவருக்கு பாரிஷதர்களும், பூனைக்குட்டியும் அவருடைய குழந்தைகள்தான்!

An interesting occasion with a child

பெரியவாளின் மேனாவுக்கருகே ஒரு சின்ன பெண் குழந்தை வந்து நின்றது.
“பேர் என்ன?”
“தீபா” கீச்சு குரலில் குட்டி கூறியது.
“நீ சொன்னது எனக்கு கேக்கலியே! பலமா சொல்லும்மா”
அது அழுத்தந்திருத்தமாக ” D for donkey , E for egg , இன்னொரு E for elephant , P for people ,A for ant ” என்றது.
பெரியவா “பேஷ் பேஷ் மகா கெட்டிக்காரியா இருக்கியே! பொளந்து தள்றியே!” என்று ஸ்லாகித்தார். அதுக்கு ஏக மகிழ்ச்சி.
சின்னஞ்சிறுசிடம் பென்னம்பெரியவர் ” நீ நன்னாதான் சொன்னே…..ஆனா ஒன் பேரோட “டாங்கி”யையும் “எக்”கையும் சேக்கறதுக்கு பதிலா, நான் இன்னூரு தினுசா சொல்லிதரட்டுமா?”….. ரொம்ப ஒசத்தியானவாளோட சேத்து சொல்லித்தரேன்.
D for Devi . தேவின்னா என்ன தெரியுமா? ஒரே ஸ்வாமியே பல விதமா வருவார். அம்மாஸ்வாமியா அன்போட வரச்சே தேவின்னு பேரு. அம்மன் கோவில்ல பாத்திருக்கியோ?”
“ஒ பாத்திருக்கேன்”
“I for Ilango “
“அப்படீன்னா?”
“இளங்கோ.. ங்கறவர்தான் தமிழ்ல ரொம்ப ஒசத்தியான பொயட்ரிகதை எழுதினவர். அப்பாவை கண்ணகி கதை புஸ்தகம் வாங்கித்தர சொல்லு”
“P for Prahlada “
“தெரியும். தெரியும். பக்தியா இருந்த boy , அவனுக்காக God -ஏ சிங்கம் மாதிரி வந்து அவனுக்கு enemy -யா இருந்த father -ஐ kill பண்ணினார்”
“பேஷ் பேஷ் நன்னா தெரிஞ்சு வெச்சுண்டிருக்கியே…….. கடைசியா, a for anjaneyaa ..தெரியுமா?”
“உஹூம் “
“ஹனுமார்”
“தெரியும். monkey god “
“அவரேதான். கரெக்ட்டா சொல்லிட்டியே……இந்தாம்மா” கல்கண்டை குழந்தையிடம் வீசினார்.
எழுத்துக்களை அறியும்போது, மதத்திலும், இலக்கியத்திலும் பிடிமானம் ஏற்படுத்தி தர ஜகத்குருவின் சுவையான பாடம்.

Maha Periyava's Message

'Pidi arisi thittam' ('The Fistfuls of Rice Plan'). In accordance with that, women in each gRuham (house) should drop
'one fistful' of rice in a separate vessel when they pick up the rice for cooking at home together with they can drop
some money according to their capacity.

One can go to nearby houses, collect the rice and the amount saved, and the same can be handed over to a temple.
The temple authorities can be requested to utilise the rice for making the neivedhyam and after it offering to the Deity
the same can be distributed as Prasadam to the devotees who visit the temple in that locality.

Read more: Kanchi Periva Forum - Exp: The Merciful Who Elevated His Devotees-11

Arudhra Darisanam

One of the eight fasts (vrata) of importance in favour of Lord Siva, according to Kanda Puranam, is Thiruvathirai fast. Those, who perform it, are expected to arise from bed before dawn, complete their daily ablutions, go to the Siva Temple, witness the anointing ceremonies, light ghee lamps, offer their prayers, view the Nadarajah’s procession and fast without food until the next day when they can partake meal with Saivite devotees after their early morning ablutions and Siva worship. Patanjali, Vyakrapada and Munsishesha rishis are said to have followed this fast and obtained benefits according to puranic stories.
ARTHIRAI: Only two out of twenty-seven stars are honoured with title “Thiru”. They are Athirai and Onam, which are assigned to Lord Siva and Lord Vishnu respectively. The Saiva world surprisingly has assigned a birthday for the Primordial. Athirai seems to have been assigned to Lord Siva from very early times according to literary evidences (Kalitthogai; Paripadal). Athirai is also called Chemmin, meaning red star. The word Siva too has the meaning of a red person. Those who gave Siva a peerless position also assigned one of the biggest stars to him.
MARKALI THIRUVATHIRAI: The last day of Thiruvembavai is the tenth day, which falls on Markali Thiruvathirai. According to an old verse of Paripaddal, girls on Markali Thiruvathirai find out from elderly women how to perform the rites for Ambavadal and then start off the rites bathing in cold water before dawn and praying that the world become cool with sufficient rains in their ceremony. The Bhagavada Purana also refers to a Karthiyayini fast performed in Markali by girls similar to the above one. The ceremony conducted by girls in favour of the Mother Goddess became extended to Lord Siva and Lord Vishnu irrespective of gender and age in later times. This “Markali bathing” is referred to in some ancient poems (Narrinai; Ainkurunury; Kalitthogai) as “Thai bathing” because after the full moon in mid Markali we get part of Markali and part of Thai, there giving license for both terms. Saivites recite the twenty verses of Thiruvembavai sung by Saint Manikkavasagar daily for ten days ending on Markali Thiruvathirai. Vaishnavites recite the thirty verses of Thiruppavai sung by Saint Andal, one daily for the whole month of Markali. The divine charioteer, Lord Krishna observed that he is Markali of the calendar months and Thiruvathirai of the stars in Bhagavad Gita.
ARDHRA DARSHAN: Saivites hold Markali Thiruvathirai as one of the most holiest days of Siva. Saint Thirugnana Sambandar singing to Poompavai asks whether she is going away without witnessing Athirai (Thirumarai). It is significant that one of the six anointing ceremonies of Lord Nadarajah takes place on this day. Further Lord Nadarajah comes out in a procession of this day to give Darshan to his devotees. In Sanskrit ‘Arthirai? is called ‘Ardhra?and the Thiruvathirai anointing ceremony is called Ardhra Abisheka and the Thiruvathirai viewing as Ardhra Darshan. It is held as a great achievement to be able to view Nadarajah’s procession on Markali Thiruvathirai in Chidambaram. Saivites from Ceylon (Sri Lanka) used to go in boats to Vedarniyam (Thirumaraikadu) and then to Chidambaram for this ceremony annually in olden days. Travel restrictions between India and Ceylon put an end to this annual Saivite trek from Ceylon. However lands and properties donated by Saivites in Ceylon to Chidambaram Nadarajah bear testimony to the attachment of Ceylon Saivites to Chidambaram and its Lord. There is a great festival in the ten days ending on Markali Thiruvathirai in Chidambaram. This will be followed by the anointing ceremony in the early hours of Markali Thiruvathirai. Then it will be followed by the procession of Lord Nadarajah with his consort to bless the multitude of devotees. Chendanar of Cheppurai sang the Thiru Pallandu decade so as to get the chariot, which stuck in the mud to move on a Thiruvathirai procession in Markali (Thiru Pallandu). His only decade forms one of the five hymns recited in Siva Temples even today. Nandanar’s ambition to get Arudhra Darshan saw no bounds. He was forced to go on postponing his departure day after day due to his subservience to his Master thereby earning for himself the name of Thiru Nalai Poovar. His story is the theme of a musical drama by Gopala Krishna Bharathi in the late 19th century. The hermits of Darukavanam, due to their arrogance, overlooked the peerless Lord Siva, paying no heed to the path of knowledge, followed the pathway of Karma (action) and performed a huge fire ceremony. The gracious Lord took the form of a beggar to enlighten them when he dropped in at the doorsteps of the hermits smitten by his Grace forgot what they were doing and followed him one after another. The hermits became furious and brought one of the five dreadful creatures to destroy the Lord. Lord Siva destroyed all of them and stood upon one of them (Muyalagan) and performed a Tandava dance enlightening the hermits who was the Lord of the universe. This darshan is said to have taken place on the Markali Thiruvathirai. Therefore viewing the procession of Nadarajah on this day is said to be very beneficial.
THIRUVATHIRAI KALI (MASHED FLOUR): Cendanar of Naukoor, a disciple of Paddinattu Adigal, used to eat only after feeding some Saiva devotees. Due to a constant bad weather he could not get together all the essentials for a proper meal. He had no option but to mix water with flour and prepare a mashed paste. Lord Siva understood his predicament. He wanted the people to know how sincere his devotee was to him. Therefore he disguised himself as a Siva devotee and visited Cendanar’s hut and enjoyed what was given to him as food. The temple attendants saw the premises scattered with the mashed paste the following morning. Inquiries led to an understanding of Cendanar’s piety and he was thereafter bestowed with all due respect. This incident took place in a Markali Thiruvathirai. This is why Thiruvathirai Kali forms an important prasad on this holy day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back