• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Madi while performing nithya pooja

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is always a custom that a wet cloth is worn while performing anthima karyam.
But in the Madhwa sampradayam the people performing pooja wear wet cloth and that is considered as madi.This can be observed in all Raghavendra swami mutts.I would like to know whether there is any stipulation in the sastra that wet cloth should not be worn while doing nithya pooja in our homes.

Dharmasastram says that you should not do nithya karmas with wet cloth except anthima karyam . you must wear wet 9muyam dhoti only. for all other karmas you have to wear 9x5 dry dhothi with border.

There is always a custom that a wet cloth is worn while performing anthima karyam.
But in the Madhwa sampradayam the people performing pooja wear wet cloth and that is considered as madi.This can be observed in all Raghavendra swami mutts.I would like to know whether there is any stipulation in the sastra that wet cloth should not be worn while doing nithya pooja in our homes.
What is madi or "suddham" varies from people to people and from groups to groups. What you say about Madhvas is true. But Tulu Brahmins, known in Kerala as Potti (போற்றி) do not follow this. Namboodiris consider "kODi" (newly purchased from shop or weaver) to be asuddham, whereas our priests don't consider so. For Namboodiris newly washed clothes from washerman were "madi" I was told. So, there is nothing fixed and no universal rule. It is all a matter of the mind.

For antyakarma (antima is less appropriate) the grihya sutras say "sachelasnaanam" and so one has to take bath with the cloth on, and not take bath and then wear a wet cloth.

Madi or Shuddham

I think Madi means the mind should be clean and focussed while doing pooja irrespective of what you wear, how you wear or wear anything at all. It is not philosophy. One will get this wisdom after doing pooja for a few years. Why, one might be lead to think what is he doing. That is a bliss. It is not my intention to discourage people from doing pooja; it is one of the ways to reach Him. Goal is more important rather than routes.:sorry:

Shri. Iyyarooran,
I don't think I agree with this. Dress code is quite important for anything. The mental comfort is not attained if one does not wear the proper dress. Can a chef do cooking wearing a full suit? Similarly pooja has to be performed in its proper attire. One sheds all the outward symbols only at a very higher level of consciousness. It is not rocket science. Try doing pooja with a full suit or even not wearing anything. It is extremely tough to get the concentration that is required. Goal is important but unless a particular route is taken it is difficult to achieve the goal. Apologies if I have offended.

Per Scriptures, performing Nithya Karmas like Sandhya Vandanam in wet clothes is considered as offering to 'Asura's. There are a few exceptions though like last rites and in case of Kandarishi Tharpanam on Avani Avittam/Upakarma day (Which is not a Nithya Karma) should be performed with wet clothes.

Dress code is determined by the following factors.

1. Comfort
2. Decency
3. Appropriateness

'Madi' was introduced to impose the habit of neatness and cleanliness. Appropriate clothing promotes the activity intended and performed. May be, there need not be only one kind of dress code for a particular context. But, dress code certainly helps.

'Madi' and 'Vizhuppu' are understood in narrow sense of these terms and insisted strictly, without explaining their importance and relevance. Imposing such concepts against one's will or understanding will result in reluctance, non-cooperation and hatred.

'Madi' helped to segregate clothes to be washed from washed clothes, to put it simply. 'Madi' need not be the synonym for 'appropriate dress code' in all contexts and all situations.

Last edited:
Sa-madhi= Sa the rare/ Superior, madhi clearance = Superior clearence;
other version think of the universe, the god

So when we start Nithyakarmanushtanam we should avoid unnecessary evil thoughts and think about the anushtanam so that it gives a good result

To my knowledge, the words 'madi' and 'vizhuppu' are unique to Tamil Brahmins, comparable practices are adopted in other states though. Hence, please don't bring in Sanskrit here.

Per Scriptures, performing Nithya Karmas like Sandhya Vandanam in wet clothes is considered as offering to 'Asura's. There are a few exceptions though like last rites and in case of Kandarishi Tharpanam on Avani Avittam/Upakarma day (Which is not a Nithya Karma) should be performed with wet clothes.
Dear Girishsai,

Devarshipitru tarpanams form part of nitykarma for a true brahmana. This is what is now called Kaandarshi Tarpanam and sidelined to just one day in a year. All that we do on Avani Avittam forms the nityahnikam, except the jayaadi homam which is done mainly for the children for their தலை ஆவணி அவிட்டம் and as an auspicious beginning for all of us to lead a strictly brahmanic way of life from that day onwards. The tarpanams were never done with wet clothes as far as I can remember. If such a practice exists (it can) pl. let us know among whom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back