• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

'made snana' govt wants to correct rituals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ShivKC

madi-snana (1).jpg

definitely, its inhuman on part of dalits to believe that, rolling over the left of plantain leaves dined by brahmins, could bring them fortunes

but, why give chance for the legislators to correct or ban the rituals? where is the role of self correction?

why the seers still dont have a concrete stand?

Ban not the right way to handle Made Snana - The Times of India

"The pankthi bedha was practised even by Basavanna (social reformer and philosopher) who didn't want to partake food with those who consume liquor or have meat. If you think Brahmins discriminate others during pankthi bedha, it is not so. This system is to serve meals to Brahmins who are
orthodox
(follow 'madi') as opposed to some Brahmins who are not. There are some Brahmin communities whose members drink liquor and there are Brahmins from North India who eat meat. They too are not allowed in Brahmanara pankthi. There is a 'saravajanika pankthi' where anybody can take part and have meals."

Here in USA there are separate room for smokers in some restaurants. Is that discrimination? Is a separate room for vegetarians a discrimination no it is a statement of preference.

I guess how you decide what is discrimination?

But
made snana seems unhygienic and should be banned on health grounds.​

I think there was a discussion earlier. It was restarted after a break of four years on 'public demand'. Many lawyers, doctors, professionals had come from distant places to take part in this ritual. So, the claim that rolling is done by backward castes is not correct.

Then the thread got spread to other issues - why a separate hall for brahmins?

I read sometime before that Shri.Ravi Sastry who was captain of our Cricket team earlier
had no children till he was 45 years.He prayed and performed this 'Made Snana' in Lord Subramanya temple and was blessed with a child.

I read sometime before that Shri.Ravi Sastry who was captain of our Cricket team earlier
had no children till he was 45 years.He prayed and performed this 'Made Snana' in Lord Subramanya temple and was blessed with a child.

Looks like his sperm count went up after performing 'made snaana'. I am not sure whether his run/wicket count went up though...LOL :gossip:

Last edited:
Mada Snana.

I am not going into the merits and demerits of the practice of "Made snana". But this practice is certainly unhygienic and degrading. In case if this cannot be banned by law, It is time the Seers and Government to intervene and educate the believers to stop this disgusting practice . Years ago when I was a boy, I have seen this practice in Karur by the Madhwa Brahmins, after a community religious feast.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

In case if this cannot be banned by law, It is time the Seers and Government to intervene and educate the believers to stop this disgusting practice .
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

my contention is the same, but of the converse.

why one need to wait for the law of land to come and flex its arms and forcing to frame the rules and regulations for a ritual?

our here, law makers are already up in arms to enforce the ban.

it was the british law makers who once banned sathi/child marriage/devdasi system. and then nehru took up his stick of law to ban polygamy, but carefully exempted muslims. followed in decades, each states banning animal sacrifice.. list is quite big

my contention is, why the religious system by itself couldn't take care of it, in accordance with the societal moral needs?

ps: myself to be on the safer side, i dont want to drag seers/mutts here in to this discussion. im looking on it , with a broader perspective

How do we as a community raise our voice and make a difference/

Is there a petition we can create and get members to sign to show solidarity and some sense to stop this senseless farce.

First and foremost, we should learn not to respond to the same message again and again in this forum. The same "made snana" is appearing for the second or third time within the span of 3 months with nothing new. Such superstitions thrive on publicity alone and lack of response will kill it.

Such superstitions thrive on publicity alone and lack of response will kill it.

if you would agree with me, majority wont call it as a 'superstition'. at least, the admin of kokke subramoniya temple.

its the law of the land, which had gone ahead and addressed it as superstition, but not the followers.

looks like, the politicians, i mean , the law makers seems to be more advanced here in defining what's inhuman and superstition, than the religious authorities.

thats the problem here!

if you would agree with me, majority wont call it as a 'superstition'. at least, the admin of kokke subramoniya temple.

its the law of the land, which had gone ahead and addressed it as superstition, but not the followers.

looks like, the politicians, i mean , the law makers seems to be more advanced here in defining what's inhuman and superstition, than the religious authorities.

thats the problem here!

What is "superstition"? How does it differ from something which is not superstition?

In our country we had very many beliefs with which crores of people lived and died for many thousands of years. Nothing bad happened to them. Then the Englishman came and he found that many of his beliefs (call them superstitions, to be honest) are different from ours. Since the Britishers thought we were uncivilized tribals, they as the rulers could call our beliefs as superstitions and joke. Now we are ourselves doing that just like faithful servants of the British.

Made snaana is a ritual which has been observed for hundreds or thousands of years; we should better follow those practices instead of trying to analyze. It will be like pulling a sprouting seed from the ground every day to find out where its root has reached up to. ;) After all there is no compulsion on people that they must do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is "superstition"? How does it differ from something which is not superstition?

In our country we had very many beliefs with which crores of people lived and died for many thousands of years. Nothing bad happened to them. Then the Englishman came and he found that many of his beliefs (call them superstitions, to be honest) are different from ours. Since the Britishers thought we were uncivilized tribals, they as the rulers could call our beliefs as superstitions and joke. Now we are ourselves doing that just like faithful servants of the British.

Made snaana is a ritual which has been observed for hundreds or thousands of years; we should better follow those practices instead of trying to analyze. It will be like pulling a sprouting seed from the ground every day to find out where its root has reached up to. ;) After all there is no compulsion on people that they must do it.

Are you for real?
In this modern age we are so much more knowledgeable and are in a position to challenge superstitions, you want us to go back to dark ages.

A practice may be old but is abhorring and unhygienic must be challenged and eliminated. You dont need an Englishman to enlighten us, we have God given faculty to question silly practice and eliminate them.

It means different things to different people. Nobody can demean you unless you demean yourself. Please do not try to sustain dalitism by pretending to fight that.

I think the discussions should give rise to an organisation which would go out to help the childless couples to get issue in a hygienic manner. As at this, I remember having read in "Health Capsule" that 40% of deaths in the US is caused by infections acquired in hospitals!

The 'victims' who came from far and wide must be given an opportunity to explain why they did this 'disgusting' and 'unhygienic' practice.

In bijapur, infants are thrown from a height of 40 feet and caught in a bed sheet by people below. The children are not asked for permission and their loud wails are ignored.

A woman going into a trance in a village temple is superstitious; but a 40+ executive attending a personality development/ stress busting seminar is encouraged to throw away his inhibitions, sing and dance with wild abandon in front of the participants; he is asked to throw insults at his partner to cleanse himself of his suppressed anger and stored venom.

There are many such practices followed all over india by virtually all communities. It is unwise to ban them unless it harms the individual physically or mentally.

In the subramanya temple too, made snana was banned for the last four years; this year it had to be lifted as the willing participants (doctors, lawyers, engineers) have come from mumbai and other far off places (as per newspaper reports) and demanded it.

The maharashtra government, under pressure from so called rationalists, is planning to pass an anti superstition bill. If passed, even a yagna done for rains can land the organisers in jail.

Are you for real?
In this modern age we are so much more knowledgeable and are in a position to challenge superstitions, you want us to go back to dark ages.

A practice may be old but is abhorring and unhygienic must be challenged and eliminated. You dont need an Englishman to enlighten us, we have God given faculty to question silly practice and eliminate them.

If Maharashtra govt passes superstition bill, it will itself become victim of the bill. How? That a govt rules Maharashtra itself is a superstition. It is money that rules here.

People have this practice to make mental resolves (nErccai, we call) that if their desire is fulfilled, they will perform such-and-such a thing in such-and-such a temple etc. If they get what they wanted, it becomes a covenant between them and god which normally all people will try to perform during their lifetime. This "made snaana" ritual is one such. Nobody compels anyone to perform it, nor I think it is based on caste, though some lower castes might still claim certain history.

In such matters it is best left to the believers themselves. There are more harmful observances like self-lashing in Muharram processions and many other religious affairs. If we go by the word "superstition" is not god itself the biggest superstition? Has science been able to prove that god exists, or that belief in god is good for health?

Dear Prasad,
Is it necessary for taking up this matter to Court? Will you be alive till a decision is given by the Supreme Court if you are above 60 due to pendency of 2.5 crore cases in courts in the country? why add one more frivolous peition? Secondly, even if a petition is filed what decision the Court could in this case in your opinion? Can it be banned? It is common knowledge that even other people of our country desire would resort to this ritual because, this is a matter done by people voluntarily, may be out of ignorance. So, think of some method to remove their ignorance, if possible otherwise let the nature/God enable them to get over their ignorance. rajaji48 (this is with reference to your mulling to file a petition in the Court to ban this ritual)

Dear Prasad,
Is it necessary for taking up this matter to Court? Will you be alive till a decision is given by the Supreme Court if you are above 60 due to pendency of 2.5 crore cases in courts in the country? why add one more frivolous peition? Secondly, even if a petition is filed what decision the Court could in this case in your opinion? Can it be banned? It is common knowledge that even other people of our country desire would resort to this ritual because, this is a matter done by people voluntarily, may be out of ignorance. So, think of some method to remove their ignorance, if possible otherwise let the nature/God enable them to get over their ignorance. rajaji48 (this is with reference to your mulling to file a petition in the Court to ban this ritual)

Mr. Gopaindu,
Did I miss something here, I never said anything about invoking court system. Please enlighten me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back