• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Longest sentence I know

Status
Not open for further replies.
I memorized this in my school days as an aid to memory and to impress others. This is the longest sentence I know which has a message, glorifies language and literature and sounds impressive when delivered with a short pause after every comma.

"If then the power of speech is a gift, as great as any that can be named, if the origin of language, by philosophers considered to be nothing short of divine, if by means of words, secrets of heart are brought to light, pain of soul is relieved, hidden grief is carried off, sympathy conveyed, counsel imparted, experience recorded and wisdom perpetuated, if by great authors men are drawn up into unity, the people speak, the past and the future, the east and the west are brought into communication with each other, if such men are, in a word, the spokesmen and prophets of the human family, it will not be wise to make light of literature or to neglect its study, rather we may be sure that in whatever measure we master it, in whatever language and imbibe its spirit, we shall ourselves become, in our own measure, the ministers of such benefits to others, be they many or few, be they in the obscurer or in the more distinguished walks of life, who are united to us by social ties and are are within the sphere of our personal influence."

Annonumous

Want to know the longest word in English....!
"Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis"
:faint:

which simply means 'a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine

silica dust, causing inflammation in the lungs."

The normal name is Silicosis!!!

I am quite sure the so called Anonymous author of that sentence must be an Indian and that too he must have read it in one breath!!

Thank God they shortened it to Silicosis otherwise I would have got Scoliosis of my brain to memorize that.

Scoliosis is an abnormal curving of the spine.

Your spine is your backbone.

It runs straight down your back.

Everyone’s spine naturally curves a tiny bit.

But people with scoliosis have a spine that curves too much.

The spine might look like the letter “C” or “S.”

Scoliosis caused by the original name of silicosis???
:fear:

Scoliosis is an abnormal curving of the spine.

Your spine is your backbone.

It runs straight down your back.

Everyone’s spine naturally curves a tiny bit.

But people with scoliosis have a spine that curves too much.

The spine might look like the letter “C” or “S.”

Scoliosis caused by the original name of silicosis???
:fear:

Google images

Colorful_Human_brain_lateral_view_description_2.JPG

Ever seen a brain?? With all the sulcus and gyrus in the brain..tell me what is straight here?
The irony is we are supposed to think straight and not crooked!!

Final exercise in the typewriting institute before one starts on documents is 'the quick brown fox . . . '

In the teleprinter factory in chennai, rows of machines will be printing this line followed by numbers and symbols as part of final testing.

Teleprinter is the son of telegraph and father of teletype.

The sentence having all the alphabets a to z is ...

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog .

Last edited:

I think Jane Fonda used in one of her films. It affects people generally working in coal-mines.

What is that which you do not have in your Bhandar!

If the question is meant for me....
I loved watching the movie Mary Poppins
and particularly the dance to this song.
I did not remember the exact word though.
But with Internet to help us we can locate
anything within a few seconds!
Long Live the Internet! :)
Long live the Google search!! :)
Long Live Wikipedia!!!:)

Long live my friends who make me look up
for the nice things which I have forgotten!!!!:)

namaste shrI Sarang and others.

I find that the long sentence you have quoted in the OP is from John Henry Newman:
Newman Reader - Idea of a University - Part 2 - Article 2

Here is a long sentence I read in a Tamizh novel:

என்ன இருந்தாலும் ஒரு பெண்ணுக்கு--அதுவும் அவன் குடும்பத்தாலோ அவள் குடும்பத்தாலோ அல்லது இந்த சமூகத்தாலோ அங்கீகரிக்கப்பட்ட உறவு முறைகளுக்கு அப்பாற்பட்டு, பெண் என்ற காரணத்தாலேயே ’ஃப்ரெண்ட்’ என்றுகூட அங்கீகரிக்கப்படாத நிலையில் நிற்கும் ஒரு பெண்ணுக்கு--இப்படியெல்லாம் பகுத்தறியத் தோன்றாமல், விளைவுகளைப் பற்றிக் கொஞ்சம்கூடக் கவலைப்படாமல், அவன் செயலை அனு மட்டும் அங்கீகரித்தால்கூடப் போதும் ஆனால் அவள் சம்மதிப்பாளா என்ற கேள்வி கவலையை எதிரொலிக்க,

கல்லூரி ஹாஸ்டல் அளித்த தனிமை மற்றும் தைரியம், அவன் படித்த ஆங்கில நாவல்களில்--குறிப்பாக ஜேன் ஆஸ்டின்--’இன்டெலெக்சுவல் ரொமான்ஸ்’ தோற்றுவித்த கனவுகள், டாக்டர் ஶ்ரீனிவாச சாஸ்த்ரியின் கட்டுரை ’எ லெட்டர் ஃப்ரம் லண்டன்’ விவரித்த ஆங்கில வாழ்க்கை முறைகளில் ஈடுபாடு, முக்கியமாகக் கடிதங்களின் அந்தரங்கத்திற்கு அவர்கள் தரும் மதிப்பில் பொறாமை போன்ற உணர்வுகளின் பிண்ணணியில்,

அனுவின் தோழமையைப் புதுப்பித்துக்கொள்ளும் ஆர்வமும் கவலையும் அவசரமும் போட்டு உந்த, அவளை "மை டியர் ஃப்ரெண்ட் அனு" என்று விளித்து, பழைய நாட்களை மீண்டும் அவளுக்கு நினைவூட்ட முயற்சிசெய்து, அவன் அவள்மேல் கொண்டுள்ள பாசத்தையும் நேசத்தையும் உணர்த்த மெக்காலே-ஹன்னாவையும் வேர்ட்ஸ்வொர்த்-டொரதியையும், ஜேன் ஆஸ்டினின் காதலர்களையும் இடம் தெரியாமல் உதாரணம் காட்டி,

அவன் வாழ்க்கையில் கிடைத்த முதல் தோழியான அனுவின் நட்பை மீண்டும் மலரச்செய்து அவள் சம்மதத்துடன் தொடர்ந்து கடிதம் எழுத வழிவகை செய்துகொள்ள வேண்டி,

இந்தமாதிரி கடிதம் எழுதுவது அவள் பெற்றோருக்குப் பிடிக்காது என்று அவள் கருதினால் அவன் கடிதங்களை அவள் மட்டுமே ரகசியமாக வைத்துக்கொள்ளக் கோரி,

அவள் கல்லூரி முகவரிக்கு எழுதிய நீண்ட கடிதத்திற்கு அனுவிடமிருந்து ஒரு நீண்ட பெருமூச்சுதான் பதிலாகக் கிடைத்தது,

ஒரு சின்ன ’இன்லாண்ட் லெட்டர்’ வடிவில்.

Sanskrit has the sandhi rules to combine words to build a complex word. German also has this feature to combine words. I remember a cartoon hanging on the wall behind our german professor. A hammer ready to strike is positioned over the head of a seated man (professor) with a very complicated linkage mechanism attached to the chair. The picture has a long single word german caption with a rough translation - machine for the prevention of slumber during working hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back