• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Life isn't all that stressful in Kali Yuga!

Status
Not open for further replies.

renuka

I was reading Anjaneyaramayan yesterday I got a feeling that back then life was more stressful than now.

So we should be happy we are in Kali Yuga! Really I mean it..I dont think any other Yuga confers more freedom to us humans.

Just imagine..Dasharatha is supposed to have 350 wives according to the Anjenayramayan..dont ask me how he found the time for all this yet no one got pregnant after Kaushalya gave birth to Shanta.

Then the 3 official wives actually cant stand each other..its like a Mega Serial.

Kaikeyi knows she is the favorite..Kaushalya is the unloved 1st wife..Sumitra knows he son will never be King and she was not even really interested to drink the Payasam to start with.

What a life yaar?

Then when Rama and brothers are born..Dasharatha is so so partial..he literally died for Rama.
Why cant he love all children the same?

He never even loved all his wives the same..partiality is his middle name!LOL

Then Rama is shown to be falling on everyone's feet forever and ever.

He did not seem to have a mind of His own..kind of too docile and too meek.

But somehow He gets guts to kill Rakshasas just becos the Rishis say so.

Rishis here seem Sama Violent yaar?? Keep asking Rama to kill and kill.

Rama does not mind..He is programmed to kill.

Then Rama does not mind being banished all becos He wants to save His father's face!

Then poor Urmila..Lakshmana does not seem to realize she exists...he just thinks of Rama and Sita 24/7..(no wonder Sita asked him if he fancies her!LOL)..

Urmila's personal needs as wife is not considered!

The two boons had nothing to do with her or Lakshmana!

But then she too had to be away from her husband..not fair!

Then there is Sita..who keep reciting like a mantra 24/7 thru out the Ramayan that she is Pativrta.

If someone know she is Pativrata why keep saying it non stop?

Does not make sense..

Rama seemed only interested to maintain unity of His brothers!

He did not mind killing Vali instead of uniting Vali and Sugriva.

He did not mind killing Ravana instead of uniting him with Vibeshana.

It seems so unfair and selfish!

then Hanuman! Hanuman seemed to function well before he met Rama..after he met Rama..Hanumans seemed to stopped thinking and only could function when Rama gives an order or when he thinks of Rama.

Why? Hanuman was perfectly fine in his Vanara world even before Rama came?

Stress? Did stress make Hanuman not able to move without orders?

Finally Sita got it the worst!

All the while Rama was lamenting that He could not live without Sita..then when Ravana is killed..and Sita is forced to take the Fire test..then Rama tells Sita..this whole ordeal was not about you but its a between me and Ravana!

What a let down yaar!

So why did Rama fake all those tears of feeling seperated from Sita and made Lakshman run around doing work for Him?

Ramayana seems all too much stress and subjugation at every level and we are supposed to revere such a Stressful Book?????

No one seemed to function well.

So I feel we should thank our lucky stars for Kali yuga..we can just tell anyone to Buzz off if we dont like what they want to impose on us.

So rejoice..Its Kali Yuga..enjoy the freedom before other Yugas start to kick in..its less stressful to be in Kali Yuga!

Last edited:
Dear Renuka,

I think Ramayana happened in Treta yuga. It is on the righteous side and so the actions of people in that yuga reflect righteousness. Each character is exemplary in a role. Sita was an exemplary wife and Rama an exemplary husband, Lakshmana, Bharatha exemplary brothers. So each person possesses the necessary features that are required of a certain role such as the wife, husband etc. In general we learn what is good from the first two yugas and what is bad from the next two yugas. We assimilate the former and learn and unlearn the latter.

Real freedom is in doing the righteous actions because that is when you are in control of yourself and not influenced in any way. Freedom is not doing what you feel like doing. You may simply be under the influence of others.

Real freedom is in doing the righteous actions because that is when you are in control of yourself and not influenced in any way. Freedom is not doing what you feel like doing. You may simply be under the influence of others.

Dear Sravna,

Real freedom is being totally free from dictates of anyone. It's moving out of comfort zone as I call it.

The in built mechanism to break free!

For me each character in Ramayan seemed to be under acute stress trying to please everyone.

It seemed psychotic.

Especially Lakshmana took in the most stress ..that is why when he was reborn as Bala Rama in Dwapara Yuga he was totally a care free devil may care character and took to drinking wine!

He just seemed to wanted to break free and in his life as Balarama he was blunt and direct to Krishna.

So you see no one can take stress forever!LOL

Dear Sravna,

Real freedom is being totally free from dictates of anyone. It's moving out of comfort zone as I call it.

The in built mechanism to break free!

For me each character in Ramayan seemed to be under acute stress trying to please everyone.

It seemed psychotic.

Especially Lakshmana took in the most stress ..that is why when he was reborn as Bala Rama in Dwapara Yuga he was totally a care free devil may care character and took to drinking wine!

He just seemed to wanted to break free and in his life as Balarama he was blunt and direct to Krishna.

So you see no one can take stress forever!LOL

Dear Renuka,

The necessary conditions for stress were there and I agree with that. But more important is the way you take it. In the treta yuga, stress was handled in the right way and in the long run everyone was happy unlike in kali yuga, stressful conditions really lead to psychotic problems.

The avatar as Bala Rama was just a wish for a different role and not due to the stress as Lakshmana. In fact I would say Lakshmana would have relished his role.

Last edited:
renukaji

you deserve to win this bout with sravnaji

you are logical with a strong case

break free . you do not require to justify to anyone including yourself that it is a righteous act . it is your life

morality does not come into it . you are free to do whatever you like with yourself.

only when you run away from it all . it is nirvana and total freedom

renukaji

you deserve to win this bout with sravnaji

you are logical with a strong case

break free . you do not require to justify to anyone including yourself that it is a righteous act . it is your life

morality does not come into it . you are free to do whatever you like with yourself.

only when you run away from it all . it is nirvana and total freedom

Yes Yes..I agree..I am going to break free as you said!

Sravna...lets start by defining what is the feeling of I want to Break Free.

Let me start first..It might sound bizarre but you have no choice but to read it.

I always felt this song totally describes Moksha!

I want to break free
I want to break free
I want to break free from your lies
You're so self satisfied I don't need you
I've got to break free
God knows, God knows I want to break free

I've fallen in love
I've fallen in love for the first time
And this time I know it's for real
I've fallen in love yeah
God knows God knows I've fallen in love

It's strange but it's true
I can't get over the way you love me like you do
But I have to be sure

When I walk out that door
Oh how I want to be free baby
Oh how I want to be free
Oh how I want to break free

But life still goes on
I can't get used to living without living without
Living without you by my side
I don't want to live alone hey
God knows got to make it on my own
So baby can't you see
I've got to break free

I've got to break free
I want to break free yeah

I want, I want, I want, I want to break free

renukaji
where and how moksha come into it?

It is a genuine cry to be free

desire to find real love breaking the shackles which bind you to the existing lot because of a sense of misplaced duty?

Escape , you will grow new wings . you will see the world with a different lens and perspective.

I am turning poetic.lol

Dear Krish ji,

One has to be poetic to understand why I want to Break Free is a cry for Moksha.

Here goes:

You might wonder why..

The feeling of breaking free will be too strong someday.

One would feel that religion was at times not truthful..one would want to break free from its lies.

It only wants to makes us slaves.

Religion lives on fear of the masses and towers of ignorance is built to delude men!

That was the real Maya! Our own man made ignorance.

One does not feel anymore that the so called Maya was all that complex even though one knows not head nor tail about it.

One need not care for it as long one was discarding false beliefs..Maya itself would have no foot hold anymore.

Religion becomes self satisfying only when we are slaves to it.

That is why the heart was crying out.

I want to break free
I want to break free
I want to break free from your lies
You're so self satisfied I don't need you
I've got to break free
God knows, God knows I want to break free

Next line talks about Love.

One falls in love many time before in life..with lover..with spouse,..with family..with kids..but that is never real in the sense everything would be transient.

But this time one knows it’s for real..so this is real love..the virginal first time love and only God knows the feeling...of falling in Divine Love!LOL

I've fallen in love
I've fallen in love for the first time
And this time I know it's for real
I've fallen in love yeah
God knows God knows I've fallen in love

Now comes the paradox...why was one still missing worldly love?

One seems to not get over how one was loved by the world. May be that was Maya which makes us run back to the unreal.It makes us miss the world so badly.

But one had to be sure when one walks out that door that there is no turning back.

Could one do it?

Could one break free?

It's strange but it's true
I can't get over the way you love me like you do
But I have to be sure

When I walk out that door
Oh how I want to be free baby
Oh how I want to be free
Oh how I want to break free

Could one be alone? Why was one afraid yet again?

Was one confused about being alone and being lonely?

Was there a difference?

One seemed to think being alone was lonely.

One does not want to be alone.

But then if one wanted to break free one had to be alone.

But one need not feel lonely.

One had to live with the world by one's side but one need not feel lonely and need not be in it too.

But life still goes on
I can't get used to living without living without
Living without you by my side
I don't want to live alone hey
God knows got to make it on my own
So baby can't you see
I've got to break free

I've got to break free

I hope its clear now why this song is a cry for Moksha!LOL

Last edited:
Dear Renuka,

The problem is you think religion tries to enslave people. From what you have read and understood of religion, is it what it tries to do? Just because to someone who does immoral and wicked acts, God is intimidating, does that mean in general, that religion has invented the concept of God, just to keep people under control? Religion should not be accused of trying to enslave people by the concept of God just because such an all powerful entity is its main theme. The proof of God can be as logical as any scientific proof.

Last edited:
Dear Renuka,

The problem is you think religion tries to enslave people. From what you have read and understood of religion, is it what it tries to do? .

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Religions spins a web of delusion around the mind..in fact religion is like Maya..God might not even be involved in religion.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Religions spins a web of delusion around the mind..in fact religion is like Maya..God might not even be involved in religion.

Frankly Renuka, you are being influenced by those people who propagate the idea that religion tries to delude people. You are well learnt in Hinduism even much much more than me .Tell me one way in which it tries to take people for a ride? On the contrary it only says that one has to break free from those things that would eventually cause grief and sorrow and hence actually exhorts us to be free of the undesirables.

Frankly Renuka, you are being influenced by those people who propagate the idea that religion tries to delude people. You are well learnt in Hinduism even much much more than me .Tell me one way in which it tries to take people for a ride? On the contrary it only says that one has to break free from those things that would eventually cause grief and sorrow and hence actually exhorts us to be free of the undesirables.

Dear Sravna,

I am a stubborn mule!LOL

No one can influence me..really..what I write is my own thinking.

I have read quite a number of books on Hinduism etc..that I have to admit..I still do read daily..but someway down the road I started to feel that religion is not what I seek anymore.

Religion is far from the truth..that is why I shut down my house pooja room..not that I did not believe in God but the fact is I wanted more than just praying.

Something was seriously missing..I felt that I had not yet found what I thought I would find.

That is when I realized that I was a total fool...what was I searching for?

There is actually nothing to even find..religion sends you on a wild goose chase around and around.

No one teaches us to get out of the comfort zone.

We have been happily living in that past..that is we followed what was laid down becos it was supposed to be time tested...so it seemed easier to follow thinking it will lead us somewhere.

But when it leads you nowhere..that's when you start to ask yourself "hey is this right for me? Does time tested means it should work? what if it does not work for me..what do I do?

Then I feel the only way to know is to find out!

The hard way..go tru what it takes..getting out of comfort zone.

I will have to find my way and no other way out.

Breaking free is from everything..including religion.

Dear Sravna,

1. I am a stubborn mule!LOL

2. No one can influence me..really..what I write is my own thinking.

3. I have read quite a number of books on Hinduism etc..that I have to admit..I still do read daily..but someway down the road I started to feel that religion is not what I seek anymore.

4. Religion is far from the truth..that is why I shut down my house pooja room..not that I did not believe in God but the fact is I wanted more than just praying.Something was seriously missing..I felt that I had not yet found what I thought I would find.That is when I realized that I was a total fool...what was I searching for?There is actually nothing to even find..religion sends you on a wild goose chase around and around.

5. No one teaches us to get out of the comfort zone.

6. We have been happily living in that past..that is we followed what was laid down becos it was supposed to be time tested...so it seemed easier to follow thinking it will lead us somewhere.

7. But when it leads you nowhere..that's when you start to ask yourself "hey is this right for me? Does time tested means it should work? what if it does not work for me..what do I do?

8. Then I feel the only way to know is to find out!The hard way..go tru what it takes..getting out of comfort zone.I will have to find my way and no other way out.

9. Breaking free is from everything..including religion.

I applied these standards to myself and I got these answers. Just a reality check. LOL.

1. I am not only a stubborn mule a violent one too as certified by another mule here. A mule knows another mule better. LOL.

2. I agree fully because I too belong to this category.

3. First two sentences I agree with. I do not find the religion empty as claimed by Renukaji here.

4. For me religion is only a road to a destination. Sometimes the road is good and sometimes it is full of potholes. Still I keep driving towards the destination. I came to this road after trying several other roads and they were going round and round. But this road took me to a destination. And I am happy. My questions have been well answered and I am satisfied. I did not have to close down my pooja room because for a long time I did not have one. But pooja I did and I do because I find it meaningful. I found whatever I found because my search was a true search. I did not have anything in mind to search for. It was a search which was a unique one because I did not know even what I was going to get. When I got it it was again unique. And all the Acharyas from time immemorial helped me in my search. Thanks to all of them.

5. I was never comfortable with what knowledge I had. And so there was no comfort zone for me. It was rather a discomfort zone. LOL. That powered the search.

6. I found from experience that past and all that it had accumulated can not be dismissed easily because there is a lot there which make my journey on the road easy. I benefited from the past and its treasures. Only I thank God and acharyas for giving me the discerning mind to keep those from the past which are useful and discard those which are not useful, the judge being just myself because my situations are unique.

7. This question had arisen in my mind too frequently. But being a stubborn mule I persisted. I persisted because I did not want to give up so early in the game.

8. I found out and my way is what I have been explaining above.

9. I do not want to break free from everything. I would rather be selective in that.

Thus the mule carries on. And waits for the other mule to come along and join. LOL.

Dear Sravna,

Two mules have been honest enough but have differing opinions..so now one mule wants to hear your opinion.

Dear Sravna,

Two mules have been honest enough but have differing opinions..so now one mule wants to hear your opinion.

It is better not to be stubborn. Stubbornness may imply being closed to other ideas in an unreasonable way. Remember you cannot be forced to think in a certain way if your thinking has clarity. You can easily discern what the other person is trying to do in addition to discerning what is right and what is wrong. So I don't like the stubbornness part. It shows lack of confidence in one's ability to discern.

Having said that I would say each one should find happiness and peace through their own efforts and experiences and as Shri.Vaagmi says you cannot also dismiss all the accumulated wisdom of the past. It is like dismissing all the science of the past and wanting to start science afresh. You can take them as a guide to reach your destination.

My answers in Blue Bold

I applied these standards to myself and I got these answers. Just a reality check. LOL.

1. I am not only a stubborn mule a violent one too as certified by another mule here. A mule knows another mule better. LOL.

This I have to fully agree!LOL Sama Brutal Mule!

Yes Yes..I second that!

3. First two sentences I agree with. I do not find the religion empty as claimed by Renukaji here.

For me somehow I feel that it seemed full but it was finally empty.

For me I feel what will give me an answer is Shunyasya Purnam..that is from total emptiness of my mind fullness should emerge from that.

My mind should empty and free from religion and any teachings in order for me to be able to download fullness!

As long as my mind is filled with the emptiness of religion..there is no place for any fullness to enter.

4. And all the Acharyas from time immemorial helped me in my search. Thanks to all of them.

So far I feel only Lord Buddha was truly brave..most others just cruised along the time tested tradition.
So only He was truly brave .... a true Emperor!

5. I was never comfortable with what knowledge I had. And so there was no comfort zone for me. It was rather a discomfort zone. LOL. That powered the search.

Yes yes..Google search engine!..we need that!

6. I found from experience that past and all that it had accumulated can not be dismissed easily because there is a lot there which make my journey on the road easy. I benefited from the past and its treasures. Only I thank God and acharyas for giving me the discerning mind to keep those from the past which are useful and discard those which are not useful, the judge being just myself because my situations are unique.

May be you have a longer attention span than me!LOL

7. This question had arisen in my mind too frequently. But being a stubborn mule I persisted. I persisted because I did not want to give up so early in the game.

One has to play the game well..you can give up and still win the game.

8. I found out and my way is what I have been explaining above.

Worked for you.

9. I do not want to break free from everything. I would rather be selective in that.

That means you love some bondage!LOL(no no not S&M)

Thus the mule carries on. And waits for the other mule to come along and join. LOL.

If one believes in Dualism only then the other mule exists..in Advaita there is only 1 mule..others are an illusion!LOL

It is better not to be stubborn. Stubbornness may imply being closed to other ideas in an unreasonable way. Remember you cannot be forced to think in a certain way if your thinking has clarity. You can easily discern what the other person is trying to do in addition to discerning what is right and what is wrong. So I don't like the stubbornness part. It shows lack of confidence in one's ability to discern.

Having said that I would say each one should find happiness and peace through their own efforts and experiences and as Shri.Vaagmi says you cannot also dismiss all the accumulated wisdom of the past. It is like dismissing all the science of the past and wanting to start science afresh. You can take them as a guide to reach your destination.

Dear Sravna,

Stubbornness here means that I dont accept anything right away till I have experienced it myself even if that involves failure.

Dear Sravna,

At times when we try to experiment on our own and break away from what others have laid down..even if it involves failure at least the lesson is learnt better by us.

Many have told me that why dont just follow what has been laid down..it's easier..why want to suffer and self discover?

But not everyone feels what is right for others should be right for them..we need to test what is right for us.

One person even told me that I could be an Asura becos he said Asuras study religion in depth and then totally turn 180 degrees!LOL

But even that is Ok after all even Asuras have to face God one day.

I somehow feel finally there is hardly even a path to follow..its like searching for a pathless road..a search that needs to be experienced and not walked upon.

Last edited:
Yes Renuka I agree with you totally. One has to learn from one's own experience and thinking but my guess is you would find the answers that are in essence similar to what the great people found out. But yes I fully agree that it is right to be on one's own.

Renukaji,

My words again in bold and black.

Yes Yes..I second that!

You can not do that. Because there is only one and no second you can only first it if you want to.

For me somehow I feel that it seemed full but it was finally empty.

Define for yourself first what is fullness and emptiness and then read what you have posted.

For me I feel what will give me an answer is Shunyasya Purnam..that is from total emptiness of my mind fullness should emerge from that.

Shunya nd purnam are two opposite ideas. The moment you speak about fullness it means it is full with something. What is that something? How can it be "nothing"?

My mind should empty and free from religion and any teachings in order for me to be able to download fullness!

When you do that downloading it is going to fill up your mind and become a load on it. LOL.

As long as my mind is filled with the emptiness of religion..there is no place for any fullness to enter.

Read what is said above.

4. And all the Acharyas from time immemorial helped me in my search. Thanks to all of them.

So far I feel only Lord Buddha was truly brave..most others just cruised along the time tested tradition.
So only He was truly brave .... a true Emperor!

May be your view. I have my own view on that and I have reasons to support that view.

One has to play the game well..you can give up and still win the game.

I am not talking of that kind of a game here. LOL.

That means you love some bondage!LOL(no no not S&M)

I am a badda jiva. So what else can be the characteristic? Not S &M again. I understand.

There are other beautiful bondages. "Naasthaa dharmE navasunichayE naiva kaamOpabhogE, yad yad bhavyam bhavathu bhagavan pUrvakarmAnurUpam. Ethath prarthyam mama bahumatham janma janmAntharEbi thwat pAthAmbuja yugagathaa nischalA bhaktirasthu." Bhakthi is one such.

If one believes in Dualism only then the other mule exists..in Advaita there is only 1 mule..others are an illusion!LOL

Agreed. The mule does not exist. the world does not exist. Emptiness does not exist. Fullness does not exist. Everything is a mental projection and Maya. LOL. You go and look at the next scene in the projection -may be a patient with a leg in the wrong place or with some such problem. I will go to my screen for the next scene projected on it, and meet my next client - may be an American who is clean bowled by the body language of my assistant. LOL.

Last edited:
Dear Renuka,

Though I would not agree with you that Kali yuga offers the greatest freedom, I would say that Kali yuga is unique in the sense it is one yuga where the Lord would have to put in a lot of mental effort to set things right. This is because the minds of the people are most corrupt and it requires real effort from the Lord as avatar to work at that level. The attitude of the people is totally ulta of what it should be. However in the other yugas the Lord need not work so meticulously on the minds as he does in the Kali yuga. So if the Lord comes as an avatar it would be interesting to imagine how he would appear and what strategy he would adopt to correct the people. There is no point in simply slaying people, right? The mind has to be cleansed. But I am sure the Lord would have his own inimitable way for the task.

Dear Renuka,

Though I would not agree with you that Kali yuga offers the greatest freedom, I would say that Kali yuga is unique in the sense it is one yuga where the Lord would have to put in a lot of mental effort to set things right. This is because the minds of the people are most corrupt and it requires real effort from the Lord as avatar to work at that level. The attitude of the people is totally ulta of what it should be. However in the other yugas the Lord need not work so meticulously on the minds as he does in the Kali yuga. So if the Lord comes as an avatar it would be interesting to imagine how he would appear and what strategy he would adopt to correct the people. There is no point in simply slaying people, right? The mind has to be cleansed. But I am sure the Lord would have his own inimitable way for the task.

Dear Sravna,

I have stopped worrying about the mind being corrupt becos we have been tru many Kali Yugas before..this is surely not the 1st Kali Yuga.

Something that God intended to be cyclical is His problem to deal with and not mine!LOL

In another thread a member who holds on tight to religious values and his Varna Dharma said he occasionally watches X rated movies...so you see that person has learned to strike a balance in life..he knows what he wants and what he seeks in life..so I feel we all should adopt the same thinking..learn to strike a balance no matter which Yuga we are.

I dont personally feel other Yugas were better..after all what was so great of Treta or Dwapara Yuga?

Everyone was fighting for trivial reasons and each one had sky high ego and revenge was all they wanted.

After all what was so great about Drona? He wanted to bring down Drupada who had insulted him and wanted to wage a war with him and hence he trained the Kuru princes.

Tell me ..arent we better?

When someone insults me..I tell off the person and its over or I might even keep quiet.

Would I want to waste time seeking revenge? Heck No!

Who cares for revenge?

I am a Kali Yuga product..so if an insult means nothing to me..how come a Dwapara Yuga product could not think like me?

So you see the best is we dont fall for all these other Yugas being better than Kali...I dont think other Yugas were all that great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back