• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Let's talk movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shyam Benegal's Antareen (Confined), released in 1994, explores the relationship between a man and woman whose only link is conversation over the phone.
Dimple Kapadia, neglected mistress of a rich man, calls up people randomly and talks to them. Anjan Dutt is a writer who comes to stay in a dilapidated palatial house of his friend. He likes to be left alone there and writes, drinking tea. The phone rings and it is Dimple on the other end. They get to talking and she tells how she ended up as a mistress to save her family of a sick father, brother, sister and mother. They refer to a Rabindranath Tagore story and she alludes to her life. She says she hates her mother and the writer tells her to go see her. She does that. The man wants to meet the woman, but she refuses. They talk without exchanging names or addresses.
The body language of the two and the man's wait for the phone call and the disappointment when there is none, speak volumes. The camera catching the walls of the old palace and lighting all suit the mood of the film.
Finally the man leaves the house and boards a train.
Well... what happens next, I don't want to say.
I hope if you are interested enough you will watch the movie, and if you have seen it you know.
Movies like these were in those days called art movies contrasted with masala movies. So the ending cannot be traditional and leave space for us to imagine or draw our conclusions.
The movie is available on youtube and runs for 1.35 min.

Two Manirathnam films remind me of two English films
One is Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid which made me think of Thiruda Thiruda. Everything sounded similar, both films etching out the life of two robbers, their friendship and exploits. In the English version, Etta Place gets the attention of Paul Newman and Robert Redford. Though she is with Redford she goes bike-riding with Paul Newman. In Tamil, both Prashant and Anand love Heera.
The other films are Kannathil Mutthamittaal and Made in America.
In the Tamil film, a girl wants to find out who her real mother is and this search leads her to Sri Lanka where she finds out that her mother is a suicide bomber.
In Made in America, a young woman discovers that her mother, Whoopi Goldberg, conceived her with donor sperm and wants to find out who her father is. Whoppi Goldberg wanted the sperm of a black where as the donor happens to be white. Eventually, the donor comes for the convocation of the girl, that's it.
The films have much in common though they are not remakes. If the Tamil versions were inspired by their foreign cousins, I won't be surprised.
But maybe I am making uncalled for comparisons, the thematic resemblences are too striking to miss. Anyway, all four films are great to watch.

Sri. Krish, Greetings.

The movie 'Arunachalam'.... the plot is copied from the 1985 movie 'Brewsters Millions'. No doubt, Arunachalam has bit more masala added to that though.

Cheers!

Sri Raghy, I never knew that Arunachalam is based on or inspired by Brewsters Millions. Honestly, I am surprised that our people camt even come up with a story like Arunachalam. Of course we always add masala so much that no one will know the plot is lifted. That is our genius.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back