• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Lakshmi and Saraswathi

Status
Not open for further replies.

RVR

I went to one marvari businessman's house and his wife complained that their son is not studying properly and requested me to advice him.

But the marvari gentleman was very happy that his son is not good at studies. He told me that both Lakshmi and Saraswathi will not go together and if his son gets `Saraswathi Kadaksham' then he will not be blessed by Lakshmi.

Please read the following news item about the college drop outs.

14 college dropouts who became great entrepreneurs - Rediff.com Business

All the best

dear Mr. R.V.R,
I too have heard that no two ladies can get along under the same roof and that includes even Goddesses like Lakshmi and Saraswathi :)
Well, given a choice I will prefer Saraswathi to Lakshmi any day, unless I can have both of them at the same time!
After all money isn't everything! Right?
with warm regards,
V.R.

Shri RVR sir,

What i think is - Goddess Saraswathi represents wisdom too (not the bookish system of Indian education which counts the mark and the reproducing the book's content ) - along with the art and the Knowledge Goddess Saraswathi represents.

To conduct a business is no easy task - Surely the Marwari boy and the school drop outs should have wisdom and vision to run the business and thus they have the blessings of both Lakshmi and Saraswathi!

My two cents.

Namaskarams
Revathi

Learning is a continuous process and need not be restricted to just school or college.

I just quoted Marvari businessman's view. Personally I have seen lot of successful business entrepreneurs who started businesses after successful academic achievements.

I wish both Goddesses Lakshmi and Saraswathi bless all of us.

All the best

There is a chance of your losing the wealth, you may not lose knowledge or wisdom or education. You can distribute these abundantly to all without losing them, but you will lose wealth as much as you distribute. You can go anywhere with knowledge, but not outside your country with YOUR money at least now.

It is nice to say that vidyA is preferable to dhanam. But pragmatism is to have wealth first and then even if learning is not there, it will not matter much. The very learned brahmanas and rishis also were forced to go and seek monetary help from kings as per our puranas too. Though it was, in truth, begging, a system was created to make it look as a very great good luck for the king/s if they gave money to brahmanas. At different times in the history of this country, this elaborate eyewash was put to good use by shrewd conquerors to obtain recognition as kshatriya dynasties; they gave lands as brahmadeya, dEvadAna and agrahAra, and got what they wanted.

Folks,

This is a very interesting thread!

On it's surface, it puts wealth against knowledge. Which is better?

The answer lies in our religion.

If one looks at our concept of human development, wealth and money should not be rejected. But, they come before the 'knowledge' imparted by Saraswathi. Saraswathi, does not just represent the worldly knowledge - she is the bridge between the material knowledge and the 'ultimate' knowledge.

So, based on the development of each of our unique souls, we are either attracted to Lakshmi or Saraswathi. But, the gates to the final realization, is there at each level. As you know, we have 4 levels for our souls to go through, starting from, Dharma, Kama, Artha and Moksha - and at any birth we may be at anay level among these.

So, there is no dichotomy. Folks, whose spiritual development in current life is at a point of seeking Artha, will worship Lakshmi. If it is Moksha, they will seek Saraswathi.

Another example of our religion offering us sublime tools to help us cross the ocean of Samsara.

Regards,
KRS

Respectable members, Greetings.

'பொருள் இல்லார்க்கு இவ்வுலகம் இல்லை ; அருள் இல்லார்க்கு அவ்வுலகம் இல்லை.'. We have heard it plenty times.

Knowledge should not taken as an exclusivity to Saraswathy only, in my humble opinion. It takes a lot of knowledge to make money. In this competitive world, Lakshmi's support to make plenty money/wealth should be backed by shrewd knowledge to make right investments, right distribution etc.

A wealthy person who makes a lot of money can not be a stupid. How ever, a brilliant/knowledgable person can very well be a pauper.

There is a point in life, where one does not care about money anymore. For such a person money cease to have any meaning altogether. Mind you, they could be making a lot of money at that stage too, but it fails to bring excitment anymore. But that does not means Lakshmi abandoned such a person either.

I don't know if there is an end to learning. We seem to learn until we die.....maybe even after death?

I don't think that Marvari getleman was correct. Lakshmi and Saraswathy can and will co-exist.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Knowledge is different from wisdom.

Knowledge-when it ripens with time-matures into wisdom.

Intelligence is different from shrewdness.

An intelligent person may be poor, but a shrewd person is never poor!

Mr. Raghy is right. It does take a lot of special knowledge called shrewdness to amass and protect the wealth thus earned!

Also there is no end for learning. In fact the actual learning process starts after we leave the educational institutions and enter the wide world!
At least it did for me! :)

Last edited:
Great carnatic music composer Thiagayya was never after money. He was a true Brhamin making his living through `Unchavarthi'. He lived just 160 years back. When he was offered ministerial post with material benefits by the KIng, he refused everything and composed a song `Nidhi Saala Sugama'.

Pattinathar was one of the richest traders in Chola Nadu. He is suppose to be an avathar of God of Wealth `Kuberan'. He gave up all the wealth, surrendered to Lord Shiva and begged in front of his temple. In one of the songs he says

"I have a piece of cloth to wear as `Komanam'
I have torn clothes to cover my body from weather
I have lot of plat forms to sleep
I have lot of rivers and tanks to take bath
I have a begging bowl and lot of people are willing to offer food
when I beg infront of your temple.
In total if I have to sum up, I have everything in the world except one thing.
I want only a mind which always thinks about you"

In the same spirit, Kulasekara Azhwar begs Tirupathi Perumal that if I have a next birth,
"I should be born as grass to be touched by your lotus feet,
I should be born as worm again to be touched by your lotus feet,
I want to be a pillar in your temple to see you always,
I should be born as a fish in your temple tank,
I should be born as a spring in your hills.
I don't mind any of the above but one thing I want is that
I should be always with you"

Those who really sought God have not only given up materialistic life but even positions of power.

All the best

Last edited:
Sri. RVR Sir,

Greetings. (I thought, Pattinathar never owned a 'begging bowl'. Once I read that Pattinathar mockingly called Pathru Hari as a 'rich person' soince Pathru Hari owned a 'begging bowl'!)

Thank you for the translation of the songs......I was wondering if you can post those songs in Tamizh, please...... Sorry for the trouble. (or just the reference.. I will try to find them and post them).

cheers!

Sri. RVR Sir,

Greetings. (I thought, Pattinathar never owned a 'begging bowl'. Once I read that Pattinathar mockingly called Pathru Hari as a 'rich person' soince Pathru Hari owned a 'begging bowl'!)

Thank you for the translation of the songs......I was wondering if you can post those songs in Tamizh, please...... Sorry for the trouble. (or just the reference.. I will try to find them and post them).

cheers!

I have a book written by Tamil Thendral Thiru Vi.Ka about Pattinathar Padalgals. I shall search and get the book and post the original song and the explanatory note of Thiru Vi Ka.

All the best

Sri Raghy,

Pattinathaar Songs.

ஆறுண்டு தோபபுண் டணிவீதி யம்பலந் தானுமுண்டு
நீறுண்டு கந்தை நெடுங்கோவனமுண்டு நித்தநித்த
மாருண் டுலாவி மயங்குநேஞ்சே மனை தோருன்சென்று
சோறுண்டு துங்கிப்பின் சும்மா இருக்க சுகமுண்டே

நித்தநித்த மாருண் டுலாவி மயங்குநேஞ்சே
Pattinathar addresses the mind which is going after materialism.

ஆறுண்டு
There are rivers available to take bath.
தோபபுண் டணி
There are several trees to rest.
வீதி யம்பலந் தானுமுண்டு
There are several public buildings in the street for sleeping.
நெடுங்கோவனமுண்டு
I have a long `Kovanam' for wearing.
நித்தநித்த மாருண் டு
I have enough `Vibuthi' to wear in my forehead.
மனை தோருன்சென்று சோறுண்டு துங்கிப்பின் சும்மா இருக்க சுகமுண்டே
I can go after every house, have food and sleep comfortably.

உடுக்கக் கவிக்கக் குளிர்காற்று வெய்யிலோடுங்கிவந்தால்
தடுக்க பழைய வொரு வேட்டி யுண்டு சகமுழுவதும்
படுக்கப் புறந்திண்ணை எங்கேங்குமுண்டு பசித்து வந்தால்
கொடுக்க சிவனுண்டு நெஞ்சே நமக்கு குறைவில்லையே

உடுக்கக் கவிக்கக் குளிர்காற்று வெய்யிலோடுங்கிவந்தால்
தடுக்க பழைய வொரு வேட்டி யுண்டு
I have a old dhothi to protect my body from both hot and cold climates.

சகமுழுவதும் படுக்கப் புறந்திண்ணை எங்கேங்குமுண்டு
There are several `Thinnai' for lying down.

பசித்து வந்தால் கொடுக்க சிவனுண்டு
Lord Shiva will give me enough food if I am hungry.

நெஞ்சே நமக்கு குறைவில்லையே
O Mind ! I have everything in life and there is no shortages of anything.

There are several songs like this and finally he requests Lord Shiva only to give a mind which always thinks of HIM.

I have given only two songs as I find it difficult to type. If you want, I shall buy a copy of the book and send it to you. It may not cost much for sending it through post to overseas.

All the best

Last edited:
Sri Raghy,

My replies are in blue.
Sri. RVR Sir,

You are correct- Pattinathar never owned even a begging bowl. Badra Giri, was a king who gave up everything and became a disciple of Pattinathar. Badra Giri owned a begging bowl and also maintained a dog. When somebody wanted Pattinathar to feed him, he said that he cannot do it but his disciple, Badra Giri can do it as he is already feeding a dog. The gentleman went to Badra Giri and told him whatever Pattinathar said. Badra Giri felt ashamed and killed the dog by throwing the begging bowl. The bowl also broke and the dog also reached Lord Shiva's lotus feet.

All the best

cheers!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back