• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Kausika Gothram and Kausika Viswamithra Gothram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hav read somewhere that Rishi Kausika is son of Rishi Viswamitra; so, Kausika himself shud be of Viswamitra gothra. therefore, I feel noth these gothras are one and the same. possibly y can google it and find out more - srinivasan

Kaushik/Koushik is ancient Indian'Gotra' applied to an indo-aryan clan.

Kaushik/Koushik is ancient Indian'Gotra' applied to an indo-aryan clan.

Kaushik
/Koushik is ancient Indian'Gotra' applied to an indo-aryan clan. Origin of Kaushik can be referenced to an ancient Hindu text. There was a Rishi (saint) by the name of "Vishvamitra" literally meaning 'friend of the universe','vishwa' as in universe and mitra as in 'friend', he was also called as Rishi "Kaushik".

Kaushik / Vishwamitra Gotra's

There are two gotras, or lineages, bearing the name of Visvamitra.

Kousikh Gotra
People belonging to Kaushika (Kaushik/Kousikh/Kousikasa/Kousikha/Kausika/Ghrit kaushika) Gotra take Rajarishi Kaushika as their root. Kaushika was son of Vishvamitra.11 96 of the royal clans of Marathas belong to Kaushik gotra including the illustrious house of Shivaji and Rashtrakutas. 2 more clans belong to the Vishvamitra gotra. Kaushika gotra also belongs to Baish clan of rajput which includes in the suryavanshi rajput, one of the oldest and biggest Kshatriya/Chattari clan of Vedic India.

Kousikh/Kaushik is a gotra of influential Cchatri´s as well as Brahmins (he who does priestly labour) of Punjab and Haryana also some Anavil Brahmins (Desai) from Gujarat. Brahmins consider themselves the descendants of the seven main sages, Angiras, Bhrugu, Vishvamitra, Kashyap, Vasishtha, Atri and Agasti. Of these sages Vishvamitra was part Kshatriya (descendant of thhouse of Puru) , so Kaushik gotra is also of Kshatriyas.
Its origin lies in the Rig-Veda; ancient Sanskrit language. Kaushik was the son of Kushika an Indian Kshatriya legend.

Visvamitra Gotra People belonging to the Visvamitra Gotra consider Brahmarishi Visvamitra as their ancestor. There is an off-shoot of "Vishvamitra Gotra" called "Chakita Vishvamitra Gotra". Two explanations have been suggested for this off-shoot. The group is supposed to have sprung from a "surprised" reaction of Vishvamitra. The other, more likely, explanation, is that a group of descendants decided to split from the main group and started their own branch of this line.

Vishvamitra descendants still use Kaushik as their first or last name. This is how majority of the Hindu names were followed. This system of following Rishis' name as the last name was the foundation of "Gautra" in Hindu philosophy. Gautra is used to trace back ancestry especially at the time of marriages till today. Kaushik as the last name is mostly seen in Uttar Pradesh and Haryana (Northern India). for e.g. ARUN KAUSHIK. Kaushik is also commonly used as a first name (mostly used by people in West Bengal,Tamil Nadu, Gujarat and Karnataka in India and Bangladesh). for e.g. KAUSHIK RAMASWAMY.

Kaushik - Familypedia

please also read from here

What Is the Difference Between "Kaushika Gotra" and "Vishvamithra Gotra"? - Quora

I have this gothra.
But I know no one one from my clan using it in their first or surname.
Thanks for the info PJ sir regarding this gothra.
I am learning about my gothra a bit late in life though.
Is it of any utility now?
I had been under the impression that kausika and viswamitra were two names of the same rishi.

also that kshatriyas of shivaji clan and baish rajputs also trace their ancestry to kausika and viswamitra is also information for me

thanks

Last edited:
what all produced is available in google. one says Viswamithra and Kausika are same, another, father and son. but it is better to look for some ancient Hindu scripts to know better and exact. of course, in google also, they r posting someone's posting. but I know there r people of viswamithra gothra and also kaisika gothra. My finding is these r two different gothras. yes, in Ramayana there is mention that Viswamithra was a King and warrior. It is also mentioned that Vswamithra means Friend of Universe (viswam and mithre) - srinivasan

Here is the story of Viswamithra:

''In lunar dynasty was a king Kausik also known as Visvamitra. King possessed extraordinary qualities and ruled the kingdom

well. Once the king went on a tour of his kingdom with a large army. As he was passing a forest he came across the hermitage

of Sage Vaisistha. The sage offered him a grand reception and requsted him to be his guest.The king declined offer as the sage

would not have been able to feed the large army. Sage told the king not to worry and informed him that the Sage had a wish-

fulfilling cow (Kamadhenu) sabala. The Sage called out the divine cow. Kamadhenu was born during churning of the ocean and

was presented to Sage Vaisitha. Vasistha told the cow to make an elaborate feast for the king's army and an elaborate feast

appeared. The king and his army engoyed the feast. The king was impressed by the cow's powers and was convinced that the

cow would be more useful to a king than a sage. He further added anything precious belonged to the king and put his stake on

sabala. Visvamitra politely declined to give sabala to the king. The king became angry and ordered his soldiers to capture

sabala. Captured by the kings men sabala broke down on the thought of being taken away from her father like sage. She ran

back to the sage wanting to know the reason as to why he had abandoned her. Vasistha told her that he had not abandoned

her and told her to make army of her own. Sabala made her own army and defeated the king. Visvamitra the went into forest

and performed 12 years of penance. Lord siva was pleased with the penance and gave him all the astras. Visvamitra went to

Vaisistha and sent all astras towards him. Vasistha absorbed all the astras using his Brahmadanda. Visvamitra then went

south. He did a lot of tapas to get the title of raja rishi. .................. ''

To read more, here is the link:
Story of Sage Vishwamitra

rajiramji
thanks . read with interest.

did varna system exist at those times.

what was viswamitra- a kshatriya warrior who became a brahmin due to tapas.

if one belongs to a kausika gothra , how his present day descendants are kshatriya warriors like shivaji clan or baish rajputs

and tamil brahmins also.

of course all are only mythological stories

so should we believe in gothras?

I have this gothra.
But I know no one one from my clan using it in their first or surname.
Thanks for the info PJ sir regarding this gothra.
I am learning about my gothra a bit late in life though.
Is it of any utility now?
I had been under the impression that kausika and viswamitra were two names of the same rishi.

also that kshatriyas of shivaji clan and baish rajputs also trace their ancestry to kausika and viswamitra is also information for me

thanks

Krish Sir

At least for the sake of our children and grand children we must know our root.

HI

kousika gothra kaara....romba kopakaara....i saw many kaoushika gotra with full of kopam....even i heard in north india that

if any does not the know the exact gothra is call themselves as KOUSHUKHA GOTHRA....MAY BE SOME RESASON...

I have this gothra. But I know no one one from my clan using it in their first or surname. Thanks for the info PJ sir regarding this gothra. I am learning about my gothra a bit late in life though. Is it of any utility now? I had been under the impression that kausika and viswamitra were two names of the same rishi. also that kshatriyas of shivaji clan and baish rajputs also trace their ancestry to kausika and viswamitra is also information for me thanks
I have heard that kaushik gotra is found more commonly in Vadama Tamil Brahmins/Vadakalai Iyengars. Kaushik gotra is a primarily kshatriya gotra found across many kshatriya clans in all parts of north India. The only Brahmins who have kaushik as a gotra are isolated communities within Haryana and Rajasthan, Gujarati Audichya Brahmins (Audichya means the same thing is Vadama), Narmadiya Brahmins from Madhya Pradesh, and a select few Marathi Deshashta Brahmins, which gives good credence to the theory of Tamil Brahmins being western Indian migrants when combined with genetic data that seems to agree. Oriyan Brahmins too have "kaushikasa" gotra which is considered to be same as kaushika gotra, but these brahmins are generally also migrant brahmins with origins in the regions described above. So, if you have this gotra and are a TB, the chances are very high you are of north Indian origin/extraction. :)

tbs said:
if any does not the know the exact gothra is call themselves as KOUSHUKHA GOTHRA....MAY BE SOME RESASON...
This is not true and generally not accepted. People do this to gain social mobility amongst kshatriya classes.

krish44 said:
if one belongs to a kausika gothra , how his present day descendants are kshatriya warriors like shivaji clan or baish rajputs
Because, Vishwamitra was both a king and a rishi (Raja Rishi) for a long time. Hence his progeny/disciples from that period are kshatriyas. Brahmins with kaushika gotra are an aberration - technically they should not exist. Those Brahmins are probably actually Brahma-Kshatriyas (born of union between kshatriyas and brahmins), but "promoted" to Brahmin status in areas where there was no fixed or dominant kshatriya caste (e.g. central/south India).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back