• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Kaundinya Gothram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Title may sound similar to previous posts, but I assure content is not. I'm of Kaundinya Gothram, and in my pravaran Kaundinya's pay tribute to Vasishta, Maitravaruna, and Kaundinyasa. The same goes for those of Vasishta Gothram to pay respect to all three rishis. I know Maharishi Guru Vasisht from the Ramayana, but I have no idea who Maitravaruna or Kaundinayasa were (and I'm not Buddhist or know of any Buddhist history I can claim and I'm sure that goes for anyone from Vasisha Gothra and Kaundinya Gothra). So I'd really like to know who the other two rishis I'm paying tribute to are, especially when one of them is the name of my gothra. And what I don't want to hear is that the gothram is meaningless. This isn't a discussion of meaningful or meaningless, simply "Who are the other two rishis aside from Maharishi Guru Vasisht that I'm paying tribute to?"

All of us know that there are Seven Rishis mentioned in our Puranas, viz. Gautama, Bhardwaja, Vishwamitra, Jamadagni, Vasistha, Kashyapa and Atri. Brahmin communities are said to be descendants of these 8 Rishis. Gotra hereditary was streamlined for the purposes of identifying one's ancestors and pay respects during various occasions such as rituals, etc their fathers, fore-fathers and so on, up to their respective Rishis. Subsequently it was extended to other areas such as Marriage and temple worship during Archana etc. Generally Marriage is not performed within the same Gotra. The details very
exhaustive. One may have to go through with patience. The site is mentioned the next thread hereunder:

Some say during Abivandanam : Aangirasa, Bharhaspathya, Bharatwaja, Thrayarsheya, pravaranvitha, etc.

Vashishta - 13 sub lineage Rishis. As per this, Kaundinya - Vaashista, Maithravaruna, Kaundinya, Thrayarsheya. For Maithravaruna. it starts like Vaashista and Maithravaruna and Kaundinya.

Vashishta ( 13 sub lineage Rishis)
01 Kaundinya
Vaasishta, MaithravaruNa, Kaundinya -
Thrayarsheya
02 Parasara
Vaasishta, saakthya, Paarasarya -
Thrayarsheya
03 Vaasishta
Thrayarsheya
04 Vasishta Vaasishta - Ekarsheya
05 Haritha Vaasishta - Ekarsheya
06 Aachvalaayana
Vaasishta, Aindrapramatha,
Aabarathvasasya - Thrayarsheya
07 Upamanyu
08 KaaNva
09 JaadhookarNya
10 Bhodayana
Vaasishta, Aathreya, JaadhookarNya -
Thrayarsheya
11 MithraavaruNa
Thrayarsheya
12 Mauthgala
Thrayarsheya
13 Vaasida
Aaabarathvasasya - Thrayarsheya

Last edited:
please refer to gotra pattika

there are only two gotram lines for kaundinya gotram

one is the aangirasar line and one is the vasishtar line.

you can identify the one that you are from, by looking up the gotra pattika and for that you need to remember your abhivadayae

the rishis mentioned in the abhivadhayae are the great seers (rishis) in the line ( pravaram ).

i.e., i am so and so < name >, from so and so gothram, with so and so many rishis in my ancestry line, i am from so and so branch ( shakha ) of the veda ( krishna yajur/ shukla yajur; rig; sama ), of so and so sutra ( methods of performing the rituals )

Abivadanam

Thank you, its really nice information!

I had a Query please help me out in better understanding,

For one with Vaasishta Gotram: Vaasishta, MaithravaruNa, Kaundinya - Thrayarsheya and Vasishta Vaasishta - Ekarsheya Both Ekarsheya and Thrayarsheya been mentioned, is it for some its Ekarsheya and for some Thrayarsheya?

Thanks in Advance, Awaiting for your early reply!

Best Regards

All of us know that there are Seven Rishis mentioned in our Puranas, viz. Gautama, Bhardwaja, Vishwamitra, Jamadagni, Vasistha, Kashyapa and Atri. Brahmin communities are said to be descendants of these 8 Rishis. Gotra hereditary was streamlined for the purposes of identifying one's ancestors and pay respects during various occasions such as rituals, etc their fathers, fore-fathers and so on, up to their respective Rishis. Subsequently it was extended to other areas such as Marriage and temple worship during Archana etc. Generally Marriage is not performed within the same Gotra. The details very
exhaustive. One may have to go through with patience. The site is mentioned the next thread hereunder:

Some say during Abivandanam : Aangirasa, Bharhaspathya, Bharatwaja, Thrayarsheya, pravaranvitha, etc.

Vashishta - 13 sub lineage Rishis. As per this, Kaundinya - Vaashista, Maithravaruna, Kaundinya, Thrayarsheya. For Maithravaruna. it starts like Vaashista and Maithravaruna and Kaundinya.

Vashishta ( 13 sub lineage Rishis)
01 Kaundinya
Thrayarsheya
02 Parasara
Vaasishta, saakthya, Paarasarya -
Thrayarsheya
03 Vaasishta
Thrayarsheya
04 Vasishta Vaasishta - Ekarsheya
05 Haritha Vaasishta - Ekarsheya
06 Aachvalaayana
07 Upamanyu
08 KaaNva
09 JaadhookarNya
10 Bhodayana
Vaasishta, Aathreya, JaadhookarNya -
Thrayarsheya
11 MithraavaruNa
Thrayarsheya
12 Mauthgala
Thrayarsheya
13 Vaasida
Aaabarathvasasya - Thrayarsheya

Essentially the Root or the Initial Rishi is the known one among the saptarshis....further to him, if there have been two or three or five or seven great seers ( rishis ), then such greats are mentioned....similar to telling in today's age " that particular defence scientist is my uncle and my elder brother is a world renowned cardiologist...hence in my family, in addition to my father, there are two great achievers " .

when you say Ekarsheya, it is possible that it is a direct descent from the Rishi Vasishttar...but that is technically not possible since that would mean you have to remove the names of all his descendants and even the greats in his line, who find mention in thrayarsheya,...etc of other brahmins of vasishtta gothram...

the one other possibility is if you are from an ADOPTED person's descent.
That is, if your ancestor being a person from another gothram, has been adopted by somebody from the vasishtta gothram, then it is possible that the mention is only of one rishi...that is, directly the HEAD / ROOT.
that is to say, i from so and so gothram was adopted by so and so belonging to vasishttar gothram and my descendants shall in their pravaram refer to this transition by mentioning the HEAD of the gothram that adopted me.

What I would suggest is that you visit kumbakonam and in the kanchi mutt paadasalai the aged ghanapaadigal should be able to throw more light on this query of yours.

shubhamasthu.

Essentially the Root or the Initial Rishi is the known one among the saptarshis....further to him, if there have been two or three or five or seven great seers ( rishis ), then such greats are mentioned....similar to telling in today's age " that particular defence scientist is my uncle and my elder brother is a world renowned cardiologist...hence in my family, in addition to my father, there are two great achievers " .

when you say Ekarsheya, it is possible that it is a direct descent from the Rishi Vasishttar...but that is technically not possible since that would mean you have to remove the names of all his descendants and even the greats in his line, who find mention in thrayarsheya,...etc of other brahmins of vasishtta gothram...

the one other possibility is if you are from an ADOPTED person's descent.
That is, if your ancestor being a person from another gothram, has been adopted by somebody from the vasishtta gothram, then it is possible that the mention is only of one rishi...that is, directly the HEAD / ROOT.
that is to say, i from so and so gothram was adopted by so and so belonging to vasishttar gothram and my descendants shall in their pravaram refer to this transition by mentioning the HEAD of the gothram that adopted me.

What I would suggest is that you visit kumbakonam and in the kanchi mutt paadasalai the aged ghanapaadigal should be able to throw more light on this query of yours.

shubhamasthu.

Shri NVG Iyer Sir,

What I have heard from my elders is that there are different customs in reciting the Pravara: EkArshEya (one Rishi only), trayArShEya (3 Rishis), pancArShEya (5 Rishis), shaDArshEya (6 Rishis) and even saptArshEya (7 Rishis) - permitted by Vaikhanasa, have been customary.

Also, there are two systems of Pravara, called (1) hOtru Pravara - from the earliest to the latest of the Rishi line, and (2) adhvaryu Pravara - from the latest Rishi to the earliest.

I have not heard of adoption being a reason for the EkArshEya Pravara. It is simply that some gotrams (examples: agasti, AsvalAyana, gArtsamata, etc., take the name of only one Rishi. For vasishTa gOtram, there is the EkArshEya of vAsishTa, and another trayArshEya of vAsishTa, AtrEya, jAtUkarNya for matsya sUtra followers.

@sangom

Yes, your explanation seems more closer to the truth...similar to saying ' there are so many greats in my line....instead of listing all of them during the abhivaadayae..." let me just mention the ONE SEED from whom ALL THESE GREATS descended...

In the same tone, i wish to draw your attention to my reply where I have specifically  used the word POSSIBILITY...

since we were not sure of ekarsheya...

But as i said, now your explanation makes more sense....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back