• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Kan pattadhu? IDIOM CLARIFICATION SOUGHT

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SANDHYAV

curious to know what this means.

EXAMPLE:

NEIGHBOUR'S KAN PATTADHU.

1. U ASSUME THE NEIGHBOUR HAS SEEN SOMETHING OF YOURS AND IS ENVY?
2. CAN U CONFIRM THIS?
3. IF U CAN CONFIRM THEN U BECOME MORE HUMBLE AND NOT SHOW OFF MUCH
4. IF U CANNOT CONFIRM U R PARANOIC?

CLARIFICATION SOUGHT ON THIS IDIOM OF TAMIL.

Sandhya..I just can't stop laughing reading what you wrote!LOL

1. U ASSUME THE NEIGHBOUR HAS SEEN SOMETHING OF YOURS AND IS ENVY?

My advise is next time when you change your clothes make sure the windows/curtains are closed so that your neighbour won't get to see ANYTHING OF YOURS and get envious!LOL

2. CAN U CONFIRM THIS?

Sure you can..if your neighbour had uploaded online what he/she saw!

3. IF U CAN CONFIRM THEN U BECOME MORE HUMBLE AND NOT SHOW OFF MUCH

yes yes..close the windows!

4. IF U CANNOT CONFIRM U R PARANOIC?

Nope..not paranoid but an exhibitionist who does not close the windows!LOL

Last edited:
I think seriously there may be a reason for that because I think someone else's thought whether either very strongly positively powerful or very strongly negatively powerful can affect others. So this jealousy of the other person may affect negatively , the one who is the object of such jealously.

Just reproducing what I have seen and observed over the years.

It is similar to the evil eye. Sometimes, due to extreme jealousy, envy, angst or greed, people tend to have a malefic thought process, and whenever they praise or witness events of happiness in others' lives, their minds tend to kick off this negative thoughts which might affect the happiness in some way.

Again, I have also seen perfectly normal people nominated as being with bad drishti.

For infants, everyday, "sutthi podaradhu" is practised. Probably it has something to do with age as well.

Kann pattudum is pre, one must take precautions; hide, take a different route etc. Kann pattuduthu is post - event has happened, do pariharam, prayaschitham, see a doctor (like when one falls ill after the neighbour complements on your good fortune - invitation to visit children living in bhogya bhoomi.

Are there vibrations so strong that they spoil others happiness, yes, to the extent that it is possible to invite the wrath of enemies, and rivals, while performing any activity that these people may not be quite happy and may try and put barriers to it. Similarly there were ill wishing petty minded people (they are there even now) who would wish ill on other people for small heart burns. Without a rationale, to support or explain any such bad happenings people in the olden ages would have had so many insecurities to protect from. Even today these insecurities exist, but due to lesser interdependence we are able to overcome these barriers. Bussiness Rivalry is one such thing, constant awareness of what the other is doing and trying to beat them at their own game is nothing but kanpatudum.

It is similar to the evil eye. Sometimes, due to extreme jealousy, envy, angst or greed, people tend to have a malefic thought process, and whenever they praise or witness events of happiness in others' lives, their minds tend to kick off this negative thoughts which might affect the happiness in some way.

hmm, bit of delusion, persecutory delusion, paranoia and focussed obsessive thought rumination resulting in transient compulsion (sutti podaradhu)

who would wish ill on other people for small heart burns. Bussiness Rivalry is one such thing, constant awareness of what the other is doing and trying to beat them at their own game is nothing but kanpatudum.

hmm. DENIGRATION, is normal competitive thought i guess, especcially in business!

In Tamil கண்ணுபடபோகுதையா (Thristi)

In some houses, some keep a photograph of evil face
or hang items in front of their house entrance like Kathazhai,
Lemon, Chilly, etc., because some are inconsiderate in
their thinking, may be sometimes due to jealousy.

Last edited:

Dear Sandhya,

You might remember these lines in the song 'nalamthAnA?'

Nalamthaana - Thillana mohanambal

I have strong belief in bad drishti. The proof? If we toss a dried red chilli in the flame of a gas stove, we can not tolerate

the fumes emitted and will start coughing. But when the same type of chilli - four in number - are tossed along with some

salt and mustard seeds, after 'chuththipOdufy', there will not be any strong fumes! Just amazing. The non believers might

say that the pungent fumes are not emitted because of the added salt and mustard seeds!! ;)

And......... the bad drishti could be from any direction from anyone, not only from the neighbour! :evil:

Very Nice Raji Madam.

Normally every one hears this rhyme.

Chubby cheeks, dimple chin
rosy lips, teeth within,
Curly hair, very fair,
eyes are blue, lovely too,
Teacher's pet, is that you??
Yes, Yes, Yes.

Immediately after a children's function, thristhi suthi poduthal
is a routine affair in everybody's house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back