• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Kallidaikurichi Madasamy

Seshambal-23

Hello

We belong to naidrupa kasyapa gothram. Our kuladeivam was said to be Kallidaikurichi Madasamy. We visited the temple once. The temple is in the middle of fields and has a stream nearby. It comes after Karandhaiyar koil.
Can anyone who has Kallidaikurichi Madan as kuladeivam please respond as we need more light on this.
We are also confused if we need to pray to any other deity.

Sri Sadai Udaiyar temple is located amidst paddy fields in Therku pappankulam village, 3 kms away from Kallidaikurichi station in Tirunelveli dt, en route Manimuthar. Here the deity passes on from the female side of the family as well as the male side. The Brahmins have their men go to this temple and the harijans have their ladies come there. Ponnunchadachi, the goddess Rajarajeswari is said to have assisted child birth in midst of a forest to a woman on the way to her father's home. Rajarajeswari is along with Bala Sastha,who is a jadathari and with a dhandam. There are Bhadrakali, Kriya sakthi,Vinayagar along with Kaaval deivams who are powerful-Periya Madasamy (Veerabhadrar), Nallamadan ( Bhairavar), and Chinna Madasamy (Agora Veerabhadrar). the prasdam is raw rice (kaapu arasi) and the women of this family don't have to wear Kaapu..The neem leaves are alone enough.

Thank you.
What I heard was Sudalaimadan may not be kuladeivam for brahmins. But not sure. Madasamy, also called as Madan thamburan usually has a cow face, but with his right hand raised with a weapon. He is accompanied by Madathi.

We have many deivams in and around kallidaikuruchi like Sri Adi varaha perumal sri ramachandra sri vadivambal sri aramvalatha nayaki Sri Kuluthulyyan Dharma Sastha if u belong to kallidaikuruchi its likely tht Sri Kuluthulyyan Dharma Sastha maybe too
Pl send me details to [email protected] we have best astrologers who can do prasnam and see

Thanks for the reply. Is Kuluthulyyan Dharma Sastha sannidhi inside Sri Adi Varaha perumal temple?
Somebody also suggested Palavadi Sastha could also be kuladeivam. There is a Madan thamburan sannidhi near Palavadi Sastha also.

There is a separate temple for Kuluthulyyan Dharma Sastha in our village but Shrine in Perumal temple is Dharma sastha some families have both deities as kuladeivam
I suggest u perform a deva prashnam in ur home or in astrologer place to find out the correct deity
We have famous astrologers in our village too u can come and find out

There is a Madan Thamburan temple on banks of tambiraparani river its on mudalippapuram athangarai side and its quite possibly too

That temple is where we visited. It is after Kambangudi sastha temple, crossing the bridge and on banks of tamiraparani river, in the middle of fields.

My undersandingb is Madan is also known as Kollaiyan, Kollai madan - a deity that safe guards the home owner. Ochchan or Oduvar is the priest. In a village Kalakad near Kallidaikurich, I once participated in this worship with a friends family. They said, when once their ancestgor got lost in the dark, Kollian was invoked and a ligh appeared to lead him to his house and vanished. I do not know the truth but they say thus Kollian has become their house deity though he is in the back yard. whiete tall four sided but tappering form is still there. Also, karukurich Dharma Sasta on the bank of a small pond or lake is their family Kula Deivam. I also have visited with them. Kizha Ambut Vadama Atreya clan worship Sadavudaiyar as their family deity. There is a gentleman by the name of Kolattu about 85 years old lives in Kizha Ambur.

It seems there is a confusion. In Tirunelveli district ( I am told by elders) one will have TDharma Sasta as the Kula theivam, local goddess as kuladeivam and Moden as a Ellai Kaval deivam (boundary savior God). I don't know if only Madan is used as a Kula deivam. Our pity is that we never asked our elders about our history until after they are dead. I wanted to learn the secret of my mothers cooking of Avial and Venkaikai kari but it was too late. I have improved my avial by recalling the things she use to do for Udir Aviyal - Aviyal wihout runny gravy, but not the Ladies finger (vntaikay). My grand mother taught me to remove excess salt from Sambar etc., by putting a cooked (microwaved potato,) or a cooked rice ball in a clean old torn dhoti. The starch absorbs the salt as they have affinity and I taught this to my wife. So, Brahman society should collect all these experiences and make an arcahive for future generation. That is how the culture can be saved.

See Kula deivam is family traditional worship. Wehn Brahmin migrated from the North (Madhya Pradesh) to Andra and then to Tamilnadu, they also named the places of settlement like their old one. The food, trees, culture every thing followed the same way. The gist is nothing to worry and pray to Vinayaka and worship the local deity. The fear that bad luck will be fall on you was institlled to control the families and the society. No GOD ever pnished human beings, only their actions. कर्मण्येव अधिकारम् अस्ते मा फलेशु कदाच न । So, trust your inner GOD and go ahead.

There is another way. If you can find the chapter of Kallidaikurichi Brahmin Association - *******, they may find help for you. This works for the marriage alliances also. This present forum lacks such facilities.

It seems there is a confusion. In Tirunelveli district ( I am told by elders) one will have TDharma Sasta as the Kula theivam, local goddess as kuladeivam and Moden as a Ellai Kaval deivam (boundary savior God). I don't know if only Madan is used as a Kula deivam. Our pity is that we never asked our elders about our history until after they are dead. I wanted to learn the secret of my mothers cooking of Avial and Venkaikai kari but it was too late. I have improved my avial by recalling the things she use to do for Udir Aviyal - Aviyal wihout runny gravy, but not the Ladies finger (vntaikay). My grand mother taught me to remove excess salt from Sambar etc., by putting a cooked (microwaved potato,) or a cooked rice ball in a clean old torn dhoti. The starch absorbs the salt as they have affinity and I taught this to my wife. So, Brahman society should collect all these experiences and make an arcahive for future generation. That is how the culture can be saved.
Dear Sir,

Potato absorbing salt is a well known culinary trick among many races in the world.

I don't think its just India alone since potato itself is not from India originally.

True. Would you mind to tell that many well known facts are known to what % of people? Rice ball directly or on old clean cloth was the only one method known to many women in villages. While in North India where Potato grows may know that, but not in South India. I did not know until I was in the North. So "well known" facts to a few may not be well known to masses. Customs evolves and spreads. The point was not if well known. rather was it used always? Coffee waste is a fertilizer to Roses, do every one knows it? Leaf of a plant - Aadu toda palai" which is used in Park Davis Derp Vosaka cough syrup is a well known fact to how many? Only when I contact Park Davis they asked me "how did you know this" . I told them my grand mother used this when we had caught". In my village many did not know this. So, the idea is when some one shares and idea, it becomes a tool to solve some problems, hat is the gist of it. Unfortunately, when writing this much clarity does not come. Thus, our statements are context sensitive. I am not defensive, rather trying to share what I had learnt. Apple was falling is a well known fact, why should we give credit to Sir Issac Newton? To expressed the science behind that.

True. Would you mind to tell that many well known facts are known to what % of people? Rice ball directly or on old clean cloth was the only one method known to many women in villages. While in North India where Potato grows may know that, but not in South India. I did not know until I was in the North. So "well known" facts to a few may not be well known to masses. Customs evolves and spreads. The point was not if well known. rather was it used always? Coffee waste is a fertilizer to Roses, do every one knows it? Leaf of a plant - Aadu toda palai" which is used in Park Davis Derp Vosaka cough syrup is a well known fact to how many? Only when I contact Park Davis they asked me "how did you know this" . I told them my grand mother used this when we had caught". In my village many did not know this. So, the idea is when some one shares and idea, it becomes a tool to solve some problems, hat is the gist of it. Unfortunately, when writing this much clarity does not come. Thus, our statements are context sensitive. I am not defensive, rather trying to share what I had learnt. Apple was falling is a well known fact, why should we give credit to Sir Issac Newton? To expressed the science behind that.
The tribals in my country plant Lemon grass to keep away mosquitoes..hence we now have commercial lemon grass extracts mosquito repellent.

Young papaya leaves are crushed and the juice is used as a meat tenderiser..and in medical science the same extract which contains papain is used to decrease swelling.

If a curry is too chilli hot add tamarind juice or lime juice to decrease the chilli hot effect.

Kaffir lime is cut into halves and put at window sills as an air refreshner

Crushed guava leaves are crushed and used to ward off rodents.

Coffee waste and used tea leaves are used as organic fertilizers..again not an unknown fact.
Its so common out here.

Rose hip is used as treatment in western herbal cough syrups along with ivy leaves extract.

There is a type of ginger here called Halia Bara(Red ginger) which has a very hot heaty feel to it when made into a juice..used for joint pains and problems with wind in the body, for sinusitis etc..not to be taken often cos its very strong on the gut.

So you see..none of us know something that others dont always know.
What we know another might not know and what others know we might not know.

Most important fact is none of us are discovering anything..we are just recycling information.

Latest ads

Back