Iyer origin, move to Tamil country and vegetarianism

Namaskaram,


I would like to know a few historical facts if someone can enlighten.

I am an Iyer, Bharadwaja Gotram. Brahacharanam. My father was from Tirunelveli. my mother’s family are Palamaneri Brahacharanam.

1. When did the various Iyer smartha sects migrate to Tamilnadu? Was this over many centuries or was it around the 6th century or later?

2. Where did they come from? We follow Apastamba sutra and recite the Narmadashtakam during Sandhya Vandanam. Hence, there must be some geographical place where the majority of this migration started towards Tamil kingdoms.

3. Meat eating and change to vegetarianism: when did this occur as Vedic times allowed meat consumption and so does Apastamba Sutra that specifically talks about various meat that is allowed for rituals,guests etc ? Did this happen as a reaction to the competition with Sramana Sects and the mass adoption of extreme vegetarianism as a differentiating factor ? Did this happen post the move to Tamil country?

4. I have R1a1 haplogroup per the genetic DNA study.

I am keen to know about our origin, the move down south and also the shift to vegetarianism. I am unable to find a single comprehensive source and would appreciate if anyone steeped in our history elaborate ?

Thank you
 
Back
Top