• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Is 'Leela' an appropriate tamil brahmin name for a baby girl ?

Is 'Leela' an appropriate tamil brahmin name for a baby girl ?
First of all, I thank this forum being a great abode of brahmin knowledge and a virtual community for so many of us scattered all across earth.
I have researched this forum on baby names before asking this question, it gave me guidance that traditionally girl names were picked from Lalita Sahasranaamam.
Being based in a foreign land, the top criteria for naming a child has become, unfortunately, easy pronounciation for the white person. I understand this need not be the case for everyone, but I value this criteria to make it easy for the child in the world it will navigate.
I would appreciate any suggestions/guidance links based on the above criteria.
Thanks in advance.

Please do NOT name without following the due process of consulting an vadhyar and all names should ideally be based on the various gods.

Names in our tradition are chosen to.ensure a safe, healthy and long live for the kid. That's the belief.

Hence.my suggestion name.exactly as per the vadhyar suggestions.

You can choose a short name by using the initials. Like in my case I use JK so that it is easy to pronounce.

From my experience, I have not seen any major suffering in our grandparent and parent generation within Tamil Brahmins except for the usual struggle for jobs and money and the health problems at the end of their life. And they were stickler to traditions in every way.

So follow traditions to the tee !!

Usually in Brahmin families the grandchildren take the name of their grand parents.
If those names have been used up already and a new arrival is there, a name can be chosen from Lalitha Sahasranamam or Lakshmi Ashtothram.
If you believe in astrology and Numerology then choose a name and consult an astrologer to tweak it suitably.

Usually in Brahmin families the grandchildren take the name of their grand parents.
If those names have been used up already and a new arrival is there, a name can be chosen from Lalitha Sahasranamam or Lakshmi Ashtothram.
If you believe in astrology and Numerology then choose a name and consult an astrologer to tweak it suitably.
Dear Vaagmi ji..
What if the name of the grandparent doesnt sound nice?
It wont be fair right?
Also that means very little choices of names too.

In my experience all ladies by name"Chitra" have been very intelligent and successful in their life.
Ladies with names" Sita,Kamashi,& Mangalam" have more sufferings in their life. It is a trend nowa days to keep names based on their birth star like "Anuradha,Chitra,Revathi".
As recommended by Mr.Vaagmi,Numerologists suggestion can be considered.

quote Dear Vaagmi ji..
What if the name of the grandparent doesn't sound nice?
It wont be fair right? unquote
dear renuka ji,
in a lighter vein just reverse the old names of grand parents
and you get modern names. eg ma li ni becomes ni li ma
ma ri becomes ree ma, si ta becomes daa si , etc.,

The question proposed originally was, "Is 'Leela' an appropriate tamil brahmin name for a baby girl ?"

Sanskrit dictionaries will tell you that the word means "play, sport, pastime, diversion, pleasure, amusement" and so on, reaching to "amorous or playful sport, beauty, charm, grace, a sporting dance, child's play," and so forth.

One might be inclined to think the answer to the question depends on how religious (alternatively how worldly) the parents are.

Would the grown-up lady like being addressed, "Hey" (or 'hi'), pastime!"? Would her groom introduce her to colleagues as, "This is my sport, my pleasure, the object of my amorous play"?

Devi Maahaathmyam, durga sahasra-naamam and kaali sahasra-naamam can be consulted for brahmin girls' names, whether tamil, kannada, telegu, malayali, or north indian.

The letter "la" occurs in the line "ya, ra, la (as in lavanam - salt, and in laghu - abbreviated), va, sha (as in shani - Saturn, and in shambo - Shiva)), sha (as in Shanmukha - Subrahmnya, and in Vishnu - Naaaayana), sa (as in Saraswathi Goddess of learning, and in samudram - ocean), ha, la (as in pralayam - flood, and as in vilambitha - pendent, hanging), ksha.

Personally, I would hesitate to name my grand-daughter "Leela" when plenty of more appropriate nomen are available.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

There are lots of simple names that can be easy to pronounce in the western world. Example Maya (Perhaps Goddess Durga), Or Raji (short form for Rajalakshmi). What I have noticed is that western people are unable to deal with two short vowels in succession in a name. They will elongate one of them. For example Rajan becomes Rajaaan

So you can take this into account also in coming up with a name

Well, well!

How about Kaama (Kaanchi Kaamaakshi), Meena (Madurai Meenakshi), Vishaa (Kaashi Vishaalaakshi)? By the way, I know an Iyer lady in Toronto who has westernised and shortened her name to Sheila for business purposes. Another Brahmin girl studying in Australia named Vaishnavi is known simply as Vaish. Yet another whose full name is Baala-sarasvathi simply tells her non-B friends to call her Sarah.

As I wrote earlier, sahasra-naamavalis of Durga and Kaali, and Devi Maahaathmyam will yield wonderful and plentiful girls' names, and so would Lalitha and Lakshmi sahasra-naamas and ashtothrams.

So, why go for "Leela" which sounds like a public dancer's, courtesan's or film actress' name?

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

My gratitude to Sri M S K Moorthy for his interesting contribution.

The names "leela" or "leelaavathi" do not occur in 1092-naama Durga Sahasra-naamam. Only the name "neela" does in the 52nd slokam, second line:-

aparnna vijaya neela ranjithaa thvaparaajithaa

And the naama "neelyai namaha" appears in the archana section (163rd naama ).

That being so, I stand by my earlier views.

"Leelaavathi" might perhaps be interpreted as "an exponent of" or "expert in" leela, i.e. amoroius play, rendering pleasure, providing entertainment.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Latest ads

Back