• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Is karma yoga practically possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello ;Murari1970 , As soon as I read the OP &;it remains me the words of KANCHI MAHA PERIVA ,One who does his /her duties properly ,regularly ,without expecting the good deeds of it ,then he /she becomes a KARMA YOGI .( this has been in theivathin kural ,when a old farmer asked MAHPERIVA,regarding the effect of karma ,its effect ) .Ok lets come to the practical implication of it. One has to feel ,tend to know the value of out come of a action / work done,which has been the by product /end result of it. By simple words One has to be firm that by WORDS ,THOUGHT ,ACTIONS it should not HURT ,HARM others either directly or indirectly .This can be implied to any job ,work,profession ,or what ever be the designation ,age,gender ,be. This is what been quoted in the GARUDA PURANA, what been sowed ,is what been reap ,its easy to say ,but when being careless ,it yields a tough time.

Hello ;Murari1970 , As soon as I read the OP &;it remains me the words of KANCHI MAHA PERIVA ,One who does his /her duties properly ,regularly ,without expecting the good deeds of it ,then he /she becomes a KARMA YOGI .( this has been in theivathin kural ,when a old farmer asked MAHPERIVA,regarding the effect of karma ,its effect ) .Ok lets come to the practical implication of it. One has to feel ,tend to know the value of out come of a action / work done,which has been the by product /end result of it. By simple words One has to be firm that by WORDS ,THOUGHT ,ACTIONS it should not HURT ,HARM others either directly or indirectly .This can be implied to any job ,work,profession ,or what ever be the designation ,age,gender ,be. This is what been quoted in the GARUDA PURANA, what been sowed ,is what been reap ,its easy to say ,but when being careless ,it yields a tough time.

Dear Dr Narayani,

You have summarized Karma Yoga perfectly.We should all just do our allotted duties well and not harm anyone in any way.
That should suffice.
Well said.

Still there are lot more to go on about the current practices which suits the modern day materialistic world which “may” lead to an ideal life of spirituality.

Dear sir,

Materialism is at an individual level and not yet a Global phenomenon.
It all boils down as to how we view happiness.
Bhutan is the only country in the world that has a Happiness Index that does not harp on materialism = happiness syndrome.

There are many individuals who are materialistic and want more than what would suffice.
That is where ceiling of desire should come into action.

I am going to sound a bit unfeminine here but I personally feel behind every corrupt person is a wife with lots of desires.

I have seen that happen many times in some situations.
Women these days have endless desires to show off to each other.

Even recently when I attended a medical conference when I met up with fellow female docs each one was asking me which country I go for my holidays.

When told them I do not like holidays and only go to India once a year for a spiritual retreat they were kind of shocked!!

Each one of them were talking about how they took a holiday to UK,USA etc blah blah blah.

So you see any other woman in my place would have gone home and told her husband "I don't care..we are booking our flights to UK/USA etc whether we like it or not!!"

So extra expenses means extra desires and extra means to earn money.

I feel women should stop competing with each other.
Sisters are very famous for this.
I do not have a sister but I have seen others showing off to each other that their husband earn more and compare and contrast everything they have.

I am not saying men are saints but if a man has a wife would can guide him on ceiling of desires..there will be not much need for anyone to be earning money in an adharmic way.

Lots of things in life can actually be rectified by woman cos men seldom think!!LOL
I am serious..fine tuning thinking capacity is more with woman..so all girls out there...do not have too much uncontrollable desires and you will see life will be a better place for everyone.

Work hard and Work right and you will have more than enough till the end of your life span.

The problem is "The World is not Enough" for the one who is a slave to desires.

Sowbagyavathy Renuka,

Work hard and Work right and you will have more than enough till the end of your life span.

100% true. honestly, we don't even have to go in an adharmic way for anything. If it is destined, if the fire is strong in the tummy, it will happen.

Once in the village. My son was 4 or 5 years old. One of the person living in the street asked me what would I desire for my son. I said " I desire for my son to complete an Engineering degree in an overseas country!". This gentle man asked me, "how much money do you have in your pocket?" I checked my pocket and said " I have Rs.35". This gentleman said " Good Luck to you". I hugged him and said "thank you. You did not make fun of me! But wished me good luck!". Who knows our children's luck? Not only Engineering, right from Grade 2, our son studied through to Engineering in Brisbane.

So, we don't really know, do we? Leave alone adharmic, I barely made enough money to make ends meet.

Cheers!

Dear sir,

Materialism is at an individual level and not yet a Global phenomenon.
It all boils down as to how we view happiness.
Bhutan is the only country in the world that has a Happiness Index that does not harp on materialism = happiness syndrome.

Is it not contrary? You say it's not yet global phenomenon and yet continues that bhutan is the only country ........that does not harp on materialism!!!

Anyway Renukaji, I would appreciate if your reply covers the entire reply of mine. Thanks.

Sri. Murari, Greetings.

I refer to your message in post #56. In that message you are asking me to write my comments for your message in post #50.

Sir, I am possibly the least qualified in this forum to comment on that post. I neither have Bhakthi nor have Jnana. How can I possibly adress your message?

I have zero spirituality. Only last week I withdrew from a different thread citing my inability to control my desires. I was knocked down cold in the very first round by the desire. Couple of days later, I had a very nice picture representing my 'knock-out by the desire'. No, I can't post it here. Sri. Praveen will enjoy it, even have a smile before deleting that picture. But I can show a similar fight. Fortunately for me, I was knocked out cold in the first two hits itself; so, I didn't go through like the fight shown here. By the way, O'Hara character represents me and Lee character represents my desire...

Enter the Dragon (1/3) Movie CLIP - Lee vs. O'Hara (1973) HD - YouTube

So, I don't really have the qualifications.

There are plenty messages I talk about myself. There is a seperate thread where I post songs when I am drunk. Most members in this forum knows what I drink too.

Kindly go through my message in post #46. If you like to do that, just go ahead and do it. Just because I am honest, that doesn't mean I don't mistakes; I do a lot of mistakes. How you like to lead your life is your decision only.

Dharmic life and spirutuality are not really connected. All these terms are just made by us. Karma Yoga is just 'Karma-Yoga'. I earn well; but I am not materialistic. Materialism is not in the massive mansion of house/expensive jewellery/ loads and loads of cash...... it is in one's mind. One could be earning like $1,000/day and not be materialistic. He/she could be in possession of very expensive car, house etc too. On the other hand, one could be earning enough to make ends meet and still be materialistic. They are just subjective terms. We decide what we have to do.

I know, I may not have answered your question; then, then the answer could be right under your feet and you may not be realising you are standing on the answer.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Is it not contrary? You say it's not yet global phenomenon and yet continues that bhutan is the only country ........that does not harp on materialism!!!

Anyway Renukaji, I would appreciate if your reply covers the entire reply of mine. Thanks.

Sorry I forgot to include the North Pole and South Pole!LOL

BTW let me ask you some questions for a change.

You see you have been asking all questions to us and I also do not know what else to answer.

Ok my 1st question is:

Why should anyone be actually so concerned about Karma Yoga?

You see..most of us just live our day to day life without even thinking of Karma Yoga.
For us Karma Yoga is doing our job right and it just stops there.

Feedback please.

Dear Murari,

I see 1970 in your username..I wonder if you are also 1970 born like me.

I will give you simple examples for detachment and being non materialistic in life.
Caution!! It might sound a bit unconventional.
Here goes:

1)I still drive the car I first bought in 1999.It's 13 years old.
The reason I drive it is becos it still works!!

I had bought another car in 2006 to be used by my mum to drive my son to school(My mum drives my son to school)
I seldom use the newer car..cos I am happy with my old car.
People ask me "hey doc why don't you buy a BMW/Mercedes.
My answer :What for..with a medium cost car I can sleep peacefully cos no one will steal it.

Next year I am planning to change the old car cos its starting to give some problems.
So you see unless somethings breaks down.. I will never change it.

2)I like to sometimes buy shoes to match my outfit.But if just say any shoe goes missing..I will be "no big deal..I am still alive..it's only my shoe that got lost"

3)Once my house got broken into and I lost my ring which was given to me by my husband for engagement.
I was "Ok what to do..the wife of the thief would be wearing it now"
I was just sad for a while then I was fine.

4)My mum has lots of jewelry she bought for me since I was a child.
But you see I do not like wearing gold so I told her I won't wear it but will only accept it as a inheritance.
She was not happy cos she wants me to wear it too.
So she tried to scare me by saying she would give it to my sister in law.
I said "fine..if she wants to wear it..good cos at least it wont go to waste in your eyes"

So my sister in law got some of her gold and the rest my mum is keeping to be passed on to my son's future wife.

See I didn't feel anything at all cos I do not desire gold at all.

5)My mum has lots of silk sarees and leather handbags which she wants to give me..but since I do not wear silk or use leather..she gave everything away to a person who will use both.

So you see it is actually quite easy being non materialistic.
I am surrounded by lots of things in my life that could tempt anyone yet I prefer not to get carried away by it.

The more I earn..the more I make sure I donate from time to time.

So that's life...work hard,save for children and be happy with what we have.

Last edited:
Dear Raghyji and Renukaji,

Again after post no.50, this thread is grossly misunderstood here. You are replies are as if I am asking to change my life through Karma Yoga. It is not so. I know very well what I am doing - something good, something bad and something falls inbetween!!! But I am determined to come out rather slowly.

But my thread is not intended for soliciting any personal advice to me or indulge in bookish knowledge. It is to see the people or society, what they do in the name of spirituality, what is the practical way for tuning the society into the path of real spirituality - self-realisation.

In my view, religion is something to be followed and practiced by the people who says they belong to that religion. It should not be confined to the book shelves, whether it is vedas, upanishad, purnas or whatever it may be and loudly spoken in Upanyasas. People still come and attend to those things, clap their hands, but continue to do their own "duties". This crowd includes very well educated, highly intelligent, professionally well qualified and well versed with all these religious literature. Please believe me, due to my professional status, I am dealing with lot of such kind of top level people who are extremely knowledgeable but very hesitant to analyse what they are doing in the light of their religious knowledge. If this is the case with these people, what can we talk about lay men?

I think you have not gone through the post no.50 entirely or have not understood in the right context.

Why should anyone be actually so concerned about Karma Yoga?

You see..most of us just live our day to day life without even thinking of Karma Yoga.
For us Karma Yoga is doing our job right and it just stops there.

Feedback please.

Yes, need not be. But will not say should not be. It gives us a benchmark to test our activities. That is why.
But how many people are ready to do that? (please don't say that don't worry about others, first you become good!!)
I bet now even few. So if karma yoga is not practically possible, is there any path to make them to achieve the same
results. That is my post no.50.

Mr. Murari,
Congratulation.
Just out of curiosity what are you counting?
According the site count:

All in your heart!!!!! No where to go to worship and to be in spiritual path. Spiritual path is for mental stimulation for the self. Only to have some self fulfillment, satisfaction and one's sense of being mesmerize with such spiritual practices.

Whether a person is an illiterate or highly qualified, the basic human instincts are the same.

Don't Live cheating others and don't live spoiling others. If you do this you attain Karma Yoga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back