• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

"Insanity" and Self Realization

Status
Not open for further replies.

renuka

I cant help thinking that a very well known personality who became a "realized" soul did display many symptoms of schizophernia even though it was not acknowledged ever.

This is not to find fault becos everyone is entitled to self realization...sane or insane.

But I cant help thinking if an insane streak is a pre-requisite to self realization?

After all religion has been always emphasizing that the outward behavior of a Jeevan Mukta and an insane person is similar but inwardly there is a world of difference.

Now by insane streak I do not mean one has to be a schizo or having any other mental illness but if we look into the lives of famous swami jis...none of them stuck to the norm.

Each one of them had a streak of insanity in them...they were not afraid to express themselves.

Take for example the Guru of Ramanuja..Yadava Prakasha who did not fear breaking social norms by comparing the eyes of the Lord with the bottom of a monkey.

Human minds that have been conditioned to "behave" well will gasp "OMG OMG how could he said that?"

But he did not fear? Why?

The reason is becos nothing held him back.

This is the streak I am talking about..the devil may care streak of insanity that opens the eyes of others.

But why do we humans still prefer to be 'sane' and not explore the possibilities of the capabilities of our mind.

We do we fear to have an insane streak?

What if its a pre-requisite for self realization? Could we be missing out something?

Not sure about the intelligence of Yadava Prakasha..He has not understood the meaning..Sri Ramanuja was enraged by the ignorance of his Guru

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]One day, in a discourse on 'Chaandogya upanishad' interpreting 'kapyaasam pundareekam evam akshiNI' (Chapter I:6-7), Yadavaprakasha interpreted that �the eyes of the Supreme being is red like the back part (butt) of a monkey� - kapi asam. Ramanuja was shocked at this interpretation and tears rolled out of his eyes. Yadava prakasha was astonished and asked Ramanuja, why he was crying. Ramanuja told that he couldn't bear the cheap interpretation by his guru for the beautiful eyes of the Supreme being - Vishnu. He interpreted the meaning that ka+api = kam jalam pibati - meaning Lotus, asya= blossoms �Kapyaasam here refers to the lotus that always depend on the sun to blossom and the eyes of the Supreme being is compared to the lotus flower�. This wonderful explanation made Yadava prakasha angry and he was enraged. Yadavaprakasha found Ramanuja's skill at offering alternative interpretations threatening both to his authority and the popularity of Advaitha philosophy.

Unquote
[/FONT]

He had evil designs too and was planning to assassinate Sri Ramanuja..He is a bogus Guru ..So let us not compare genuine Gurus with fake Gurus

Sri Ramanujacharya divya charitra

Unquote

He had evil designs too and was planning to assassinate Sri Ramanuja..He is a bogus Guru ..So let us not compare genuine Gurus with fake Gurus

Sri Ramanujacharya divya charitra

This calling him evil Guru could have been written by some die hard fans of Ramanuja.

After all those who were not fond of Lord Buddha even called Him the false Avatar or Lord Vishnu in the Puranas.

So it all depends who wrote it..may be some Ramanuja fans felt bad that Ramanuja cried ..they all failed to understand that Yadav Prakash was trying to help Ramanuja by removing his fixation on the form of Narayana.
Ramanuja wanted the Bhakti movement to be fixed on the form of Narayana and nothing more beyond that.

Nowadays we should compare even genuine with fake..cos both are reverse and obverse of the same coin.

What is good? What is bad?

Finally its up to us to know that there no good nor bad.

But I cant help thinking if an insane streak is a pre-requisite to self realization?

Justified in that line of thinking It is self reaslization where you think about you with in yoursef - no external or outside help or distraction like. Pot LSD - suggested and used by few. May be that same state of mind is induced by them as in insane streak I have experianced neither and cannot vouch for that or deny that

I am reminded of this:

​''காக்கை கறி சமைத்து கருவாடு மென்று உண்பர் சைவர்’’

( kAkkai kaRi samaiththu karuvAdu mendru uNbar saivar )

என்னது? காக்கைக் கறி சமைத்து கருவாடு தின்பவர்தான் சைவர்களா என பதற வேண்டாம்.

( What? Do saivites at meat of crow and karuvAdu? )

இதன் தமிழ் விளையாட்டும் பொருளும் பின்வருமாறு :

( The real meaning of this word play in Tamil : )

காக்கை =கால் கை அளவு (
காக்கை என்பது சொல் வழக்கு)

( kakkai = kAl kai aLavu )

கறி சமைத்து = காய்கறி சமைத்து

( kaRi samaiththu = kAykaRi samaiththu )

கரு வாடு
ம் = கரு எனும் உயிர் வாடும்

( karu vaadum = karu enum uyir vAdum )

என்று உண்பர் சைவர் = என்று உண்பவர்கள் சைவ சமயத்தை சார்ந்தவர்கள்.

( endru uNbar saivar = endru uNbavargaL saiva samayaththai sArndhavargaL )

அதாவது சிவனை வழிபாடு செய்யும் சைவ சமயத்தை சேர்ந்தவர்கள், கால் வயிறு மட்டும் உண்பார்கள்.

( That means, the saivites who pray Lord Shiva will eat only quarter stomach full )

இதுதான் அவர்களது அடிப்படை நியதி.

( This is their criterion )

Source:
காக்கை கறி சமைத்து

P.S: Thanglish and translation for the sake of Renu. :)

Dear Renu,

Some people stray because they think there is nothing good or bad! :)

Dear RR ji,

Where is there to stray when there is no path to follow?
Good or Bad gives a choice for today and tomorrow,
We chose either one and think we got rid of sorrow,
But land up in the same place just like the other fellow.

[
Justified in that line of thinking It is self reaslization where you think about you with in yoursef - no external or outside help or distraction like. Pot LSD - suggested and used by few. May be that same state of mind is induced by them as in insane streak I have experianced neither and cannot vouch for that or deny that

Me too..I have never taken Pot or LSD or even attained Samadhi..but I can imagine how it could be.
Imagination can never hold us back.

....... Where is there to stray when there is no path to follow? ..........
Dear Renu,

May be, only to show the right path, religions exist!
icon3.png

For those who don't like religion, there is no path to follow!

So, follow a religion but don't fight with people following others. :cool:

Dear Renu,

May be, only to show the right path, religions exist!
icon3.png

For those who don't like religion, there is no path to follow!

So, follow a religion but don't fight with people following others. :cool:

What is there to fight...when they is no road to victory?
It's a pathless existence without even a journey,
How can one dislike religion when religion is a mystery?
A mystery that feeds the mind of the hungry and the needy.

What is there to fight...when they is no road to victory?
It's a pathless existence without even a journey,
How can one dislike religion when religion is a mystery?
A mystery that feeds the mind of the hungry and the needy.
Come on Renu!

How can you think so after being in our forum for so long? :D

BTW, I like this poem:

life-a-journey.jpg

Courtesy: Google images

1.Where is there to stray when there is no path to follow?
2.Good or Bad gives a choice for today and tomorrow,
3.We chose either one and think we got rid of sorrow,
4.But land up in the same place just like the other fellow.

5.What is there to fight...when they is no road to victory?
6.It's a pathless existence without even a journey,
7.How can one dislike religion when religion is a mystery?
8.A mystery that feeds the mind of the hungry and the needy.

1.OK. There is no path and no straying.
2.Good and bad do not give anything for the day after tomorrow.
3.our choice was flawed and we suffer.
4.our choice leaves us a dumb to be bunched with everyone else.
5.there is nothing to fight and no victory either.
6.the existence is pathless and so no journey can start.
7.religion is a mystery. one can not like or dislike it.
8.religion feeds those who have a hungry and needy mind in its mysterious way.

The epilogue:

Nothing exists. The mind which thinks all this does not exist either. There is absolute shunya. Don't think about it. Shunya is just shunya thought can not reach there because if it reaches there it will become shunya. Go to bed and sleep after carefully drawing the curtains and switching on the AC because there are other entities like mosquitoes who believe there exists everything. Their antennae guides them to you because you are reeking of CO2(you may think co2 does not exist but that is immaterial to the problem in hand). and the parasites that hitchhike to the mosquitoes too believe in existence. Shivoham. shivoham.

The epilogue:

Nothing exists. The mind which thinks all this does not exist either. There is absolute shunya. Don't think about it. Shunya is just shunya thought can not reach there because if it reaches there it will become shunya. Go to bed and sleep after carefully drawing the curtains and switching on the AC because there are other entities like mosquitoes who believe there exists everything. Their antennae guides them to you because you are reeking of CO2(you may think co2 does not exist but that is immaterial to the problem in hand). and the parasites that hitchhike to the mosquitoes too believe in existence. Shivoham. shivoham.

[/COLOR]

Dear Vaagmi Ji,

Shunya is actually NOT void. It is actually Whole.

Shunyam and Purnam are verily the same.

Let's take Shunyam..when everything ceases to exists..its is NOT a state of Zero but it is a state that is Whole.

It has the full potential of re-starting yet it is void of activity and perceivable forms.

Its like a seed and a tree..in the seed lies the tree but when do not see the tree..yet can we say the tree does not exists?

Therefore in this state of Shunya lies the Purnam.

Last edited:

Recollect the Spiritual Singer Murugados? He called himself or other called him I do not know suggesting an insane streaks as his prefix to become popular - Pithukuli Murugados

Come on Renu!

How can you think so after being in our forum for so long? :D

BTW, I like this poem:

life-a-journey.jpg

Courtesy: Google images

dear RR ji,

Joy and Sorrow are merely passengers in the journey of life,
They are both free to board and alight as they like,
Why live solely to prepare for sorrow and delight?
Why not let joy and sorrow prepare to face our might?

renukajis muscle flexing .Hmm

Dear Krish ji,

We have been constantly told that life comes with sorrow and joy and we get psyched by this and keep identifying with either sorrow or joy and miss out living.

Life is Life..Life is not sorrow or joy..sorrow and joy are optional.

We do not need to prepare for them..no need to fear them nor love them.

Recollect the Spiritual Singer Murugados? He called himself or other called him I do not know suggesting an insane streaks as his prefix to become popular - Pithukuli Murugados
nice to see all ladies advocating insanity as a pre requisite for self realisation,popularity.

do I sense of disappointment and boredom living with normal people in them

be crazy and be loved by ladies.

new age mantra.lol

Dear Krish ji,

We have been constantly told that life comes with sorrow and joy and we get psyched by this and keep identifying with either sorrow or joy and miss out living.

Life is Life..Life is not sorrow or joy..sorrow and joy are optional.

We do not need to prepare for them..no need to fear them nor love them.
live in the present and take life as it comes is a reasonable philosophy of living

you could identify with saul bellow a novelist who has turned out a couple of books with this theme.

read some Hemingway novels equally interesting. these are my favourites

nice to see all ladies advocating insanity as a pre requisite for self realisation,popularity.

do I sense of disappointment and boredom living with normal people in them

be crazy and be loved by ladies.

new age mantra.lol

Dear Krishji,

These days its mostly males that are serious...you can take a look in Forum itself.

Tell me how many males here are crazy and happy go lucky?

Hardly!

They tend to take life too seriously.

On the other hand female members are driving everyone crazy!LOL

Dear Krishji,

These days its mostly males that are serious...you can take a look in Forum itself.

Tell me how many males here are crazy and happy go lucky?

Hardly!

They tend to take life too seriously.

On the other hand female members are driving everyone crazy!LOL
we have a good mix of males

only you latch on to the wrong types or probably your posts attract the serious types .lol

this leads to skirmishes and bad blood . some seniors retire hurt and return again for another round of

engagement.lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back