• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Indian Mentality and Mindset

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Iyer

Recently there was news in the media of a Vice Chancellor who undonned the Convocation Robe during a Convocation Function of a University. There were public comments and feedback in the print media especially The Hindu, dated 4th and 5th of April '10. Generally the comments were mentioning that we are holding on to the legacy of a colonial past. I think the issue is not about carrying on the legacy of the colonial past. I think donning the convocation gowns during such functions is alright. Because such observances last only for a few minutes.

Worse is the mandate of some IT organizations, upon their employees, to wear tie during office hours. One of my friends who works in Infosys, Mahindra City, Chennai, wears a formal dress, a full sleeved shirt and a tie especially during Mondays and Tuesdays. On enquiry I learnt that Infosys imposes dress codes on its employees and the code has to be strictly adhered to. Else the employees will not be permitted inside the campus and will be turned back at the security entry point itself. The Tie is an import from the west. The issue here is that of perception, rather a misperceived and misconceived notion that anything western is formal and anything Indian is informal. This reflects a crippled, mean and feeble mind, mentality and mindset especially of the Indian Corporate Clan.

Every country has its own indigenous formal and informal dress. Even Indians have an Indian formal dress, for eg the Kurta is a formal dress that can be worn during business meetings. The Tie was introduced during colonial rule. After all a dress, whether formal or informal is designed bearing in mind the climatic and weather conditions prevailing in a nation. The tie and full sleeved code may suit the west, but they certainly don't suit India, excepting in regions where the whether is cold.

Ironically the american companies operating in India do not impose any dress codes. They are liberal. The IBM, HP, Dell, Microsoft employees et al in India, wear casual dresses on all days of the week.

Would saner counsel prevail among the Narayanamurthys and Azim Premjis of India and would they please withdraw the western dress codes!!!

iyer,

Would saner counsel prevail among the Narayanamurthys and Azim Premjis of India and would they please withdraw the western dress codes!!!

i will wear a purdah,dupatta and a sheiks gown,if i have to work for narayanamurthy or azim prem ji companies.they are IT icons of international standards.but you do have a point,about american pragmatism,with their multi-national companies doing roaring biz worldwide.maybe panchakacham with angosthram to office maybe a cool idea,with inclusion of banian and undies.summer in chennai is horrid not that winter is any better,but then,paapi pet ka sawaal hai bhai.

iyer,

i will wear a purdah,dupatta and a sheiks gown,if i have to work for narayanamurthy or azim prem ji companies.they are IT icons of international standards.but you do have a point,about american pragmatism,with their multi-national companies doing roaring biz worldwide.maybe panchakacham with angosthram to office maybe a cool idea,with inclusion of banian and undies.summer in chennai is horrid not that winter is any better,but then,paapi pet ka sawaal hai bhai.

Arey bhai, paapi pet ka sawaal tho hai heee...Lekin pet bharne vaalaa maalik dhimaak kyoun nehi chalaatha hai yaar???

i would have to agree with iyer.

gone are the old paradigms, that it is dress that maketh the man (or woman).

in today's world, while knowledge and skillsets are highly prized, the workwear should be viewed as an accompaniment to better productivity or maximum comfort.

i think our womenfolk are permitted to wear saris & salwar kameez. infact my relatives in singapore wear such outfit to work there, which saves a bundle in clothes. i hope.

for menfolk, short or long sleeve open collar shirt, and a casual pant plus chappals/kabulis should suffice, as long as they are clean and presentable.

interestingly, in my own work, the office wear is casual wear - guidelines are given to be followed and are followable ie shirts, pants, casual shoes (no shorts, sandals, t-shirts, no sneakers), golf shirts, ties optional, coat/suit optional.

with such options, we don't see too many folks working in the inner offices wearing ties or shoes. it is ofcourse a different story if one has to meet outside clients, where a more formal attire is expected.

i think, we can move on to clean white veshtis or kurta/sherwani, though i opt to think that the latter may be more formal?

personal hygiene is another thing. i have seen sweaty people, with a ton of talcum powder applied, which leave behind white crease marks under the chin or worse, stains under the blouses/shirts. also, proper brushing of the teeth and periodic chewing of gum or breath fresheners must also be part of the office regimen.

don't know why, both in the east and west, workplace do not pass rules re body hygiene. in fact a perverse view of this exists in canada. a while ago, in a large retail store, the woman at the perfume counter was told by her boss, to take care of her haliotisis. the aggrieved salesperson grieved to the ombudsman, who imposed a hefty fine on the company. some think, atleast to me, don't make sense.

also, clothes should not reveal blatantly the underwear. here it is the fashion of women to wear thongs, and when they sit, most often the pant waist drops, while at the same time the thong waist rises. there is no need for everyone to know the colour of your thong.

same would go, i think for folks who use komanam, which appears to be popular among a certain kind of our youth. you should watch out that the end of the loin cloth, while firmly supportive of the bag, does not intrude and find its way up through your pant waist.

:)

re

Arey bhai, paapi pet ka sawaal tho hai heee...Lekin pet bharne vaalaa maalik dhimaak kyoun nehi chalaatha hai yaar???

maalik dhimak kyoun chalana hai akhir hummay rakha hai kyoun?shaid hum bhi nat kat bun jaya...i am going to wear my veshti t-shirt with thundu for work place...kaarru waanga ponain..hawa hawaiii

same would go, i think for folks who use komanam, which appears to be popular among a certain kind of our youth. you should watch out that the end of the loin cloth, while firmly supportive of the bag, does not intrude and find its way up through your pant waist.

oh my kunju.....,i adore you :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I endorse the views of Mr.Iyer to some extent. The dress code may be welcome but such a dress should be compatible to the climatic conditions .
William Shakespeare's quotation that "Costly thy habit [dress] as thy purse can buy; But not expressed in fancy - rich, not gaudy. For the apparel oft proclaims the man" is apt in this context.

maalik dhimak kyoun chalana hai akhir hummay rakha hai kyoun?shaid hum bhi nat kat bun jaya...i am going to wear my veshti t-shirt with thundu for work place...kaarru waanga ponain..hawa hawaiii

Arey haan, maalik ney tho hamaeyn gadhaa samaj rakhaa hai....Kaam karney maey dhimak ham laggayenge aur Maalik hum par raaj karengey......I am going to be more freeeee...wear my veshti and anga-vasthram..hawa hawaiii..hawa hawaiii...whenever I feel like sleeping I can use my anga-vasthram to sleep on the floor...

If the boss tries to catch hold of me, its easy to run away dropping my veshti and anga-vasthram :pound:...Hawaaa maey udathaa jaaye mera safeth kapada mal-mal kaa..mera sateth kapada mal-mal kaaa...

Kyoun Bhaai, apun kaa idea kaisa lagaa?? Baraabar naaa??

re

Arey haan, maalik ney tho hamaeyn gadhaa samaj rakhaa hai....Kaam karney maey dhimak ham laggayenge aur Maalik hum par raaj karengey......I am going to be more freeeee...wear my veshti and anga-vasthram..hawa hawaiii..hawa hawaiii...whenever I feel like sleeping I can use my anga-vasthram to sleep on the floor...

If the boss tries to catch hold of me, its easy to run away dropping my veshti and anga-vasthram :pound:...Hawaaa maey udathaa jaaye mera safeth kapada mal-mal kaa..mera sateth kapada mal-mal kaaa...

Kyoun Bhaai, apun kaa idea kaisa lagaa?? Baraabar naaa??

wah wah khubsoorat bhai,jaldi may langoti nahi bhool na:bump:

allah malik

yeshu malik

krishna malik

...... you should watch out that the end of the loin cloth, while firmly supportive of the bag, does not intrude and find its way up through your pant waist.

:)
... in your own inimitable way, you have managed to include thongs and loin cloths here...

but a cloth in a wild forest is unlikely to break free from the bushes surrounding it...:madgrin: unless of course, the forests are mowed down... well, then...

in the realm of desires certain bulges become way too obvious for men and women,which would be a certain visual delight for both sexes who are battling bulges all the time :) :)

in the realm of desires certain bulges become way too obvious for men and women,which would be a certain visual delight for both sexes who are battling bulges all the time :) :)
Neenga eppavume ippadi thaana... ille, eppavavadhu thaana?:heh:

Naachi naaga avargal, sagala kalaa vallavar...Vaazhkai rasanaththai purinjavar, avar ethaarthavaadi...

Avarkku oru O pudungo...

naan oru indianaga sindanai saidhu ezhudinane thondargale :) irundalum ennakku konjom lollu adigam daan enru palar solgirargal enna chaiyya :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back