• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Indian Businesses' Quest Abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

For indian entrepreneurs, the grass is greener across the border. Data from Reserve Bank of India showed that indian companies invested $43.9 billion overseas in 2010 to expand their empires, compared with just $18 billion a year earlier. But the most startling fact is this – indian companies overtook their chinese counterparts in buying minerals in 2010! They invested $4.64 billion in acquiring mines while the chinese spent $4.45 billion. The thirst has become larger this year, with Indian businessmen investing $13.3 billion overseas in the first four months alone of this financial year.

These examples of overseas acquisitions (until September 2011) prove that the search for minerals Dominated indian investments abroad this year too. We are also buying hospitals, hedge funds and brokerages.

Forbes India Magazine - Indian Businesses' Quest Abroad

prasad,

I don’t know much into the details of foregn investments by Indian companies.

One thing it shows, is that foreign banks, now have respect for Indian management, and are willing to lend them money to buy well established companies in Europe and usa. Something that did not happen even 10 years ago.

As china has showed, buying badly run or declining companies in Europe is the quickest way to leap frog the technology gap. And cheaply too.

One example: the Volvo car of Sweden. Long loved and always a niche market – those cars are known for their solid durability and reliability. Volvo was the first company to develop air bags and daytime running lights and many innovations, that we take for granted. In this international market, the company was losing money, was bought out by ford, which almost ruined Volvo name, and now Volvo is bought by the Chinese car company geely.

Anyone who has been to china, can see geely car, a hodge podge cross of various western models – one small car, looked in the back like impala (big lights), Toyota echo dashboard(in the centre as opposed to behind steering wheel), Honda like grill and mini cooper like wheels (size too big for the car) and such like. Now geely plans to open a Volvo factory in china, using Volvo blueprints, and build 150,000 cars a year for starters,

Ford had the nasty habit, of building ford cars with ford quality, and putting Volvo stamp on it, and selling it for Volvo prices – which is what ruined the Volvo brand in the first place. Now Volvo will be made only in Sweden (& in china) with original Swedish quality.

Unfortunately tatas bought jaguar and land rover, cars for the rich. No really technology gain there. and tetley’s tea. All great international brands, but nothing for india, except some chest thumping prestige, I guess.

Wow I am amazed at the melancholy, or is is masochism of some of the posters here. I find great news of achievement for people or company of India, people are still unhappy.

When I say that finding fault with everything India is anti-India they get upset.

Some of the major foreign acquisition by Indian companies, not including Mittals.

The quest began when Tata Tea took over a company twice its own size, Tetley Tea in 2000. From 2003 onwards, the trend of taking over other companies by Indian companies gained substantial pace. Let us now check out some valuable global acquisitions done by Indian companies.

The biggest and the one which is called the father of all acquisitions in India, is Tata Steel acquiring Anglo-Dutch firm Corus Group in 2006 to create the fifth largest steel company of the world. The deal was worth $7.6 billion.

Aditya Birla Group's Hindalco Industries, India's largest non-ferrous metals company, acquired the Canada based firm Novalis in an all-cash transaction for $6 billion.

In 2008, there was a huge earth quake in the automobile market when Tata acquired Britain's most famous automobile manufacturers Jaguar and Land Rover, in a $2.3 billion deal with Ford, their American owners.

Subhash Chandra's Essel Packaging (EPL) acquired the Swiss tube packaging major Propack, and joined hands to become the world's largest in laminated tubes.

In 2006, Ranbaxy Laboratories(RLL) created quite a stir when it announced the acquisition of 3 drug-makers in Europe, all within a week's time. Allen S.p.A, a division of GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) in Italy, Romania's largest independent generic drug producer Terapia and drug maker Ethimed NV in Belgium.

In 2007, Pharmaceutical and biotechnology major Wockhardt bought the fourth largest independent, integrated pharmaceutical group in France, Negma Laboratories. At a deal of $265 million, Wockhardt became the largest Indian pharmaceutical company in Europe with more than 1500 employees based in the continent.

Bennett Coleman & Co, India's largest media group and the holding company of the Times of India group, bought Virgin Radio in the UK in a $53.2 million deal with SMG Plc. in 2008.

Mahindra & Mahindra acquired 90 percent stakes of Schoneweiss, a leading company in the forging sector in Germany. The deal took place in 2007, and consolidated Mahindra's position in the global market.

Sterlite Industries, a part of the Vedanta Group signed an agreement regarding the acquisition of copper mining company Asarco for $ 2.6 billion in 2008. After the finalization of the deal Sterlite would become third largest copper mining company in the world.

Oil and Natural Gas Corp(ONGC) took control of Imperial Energy Plc. for $1.9 billion in early 2009.
Coleman India, bought Virgin Radio in the UK in a $53.2 million ) deal with SMG Plc. in 2008.

Mahindra & Mahindra acquired 90 percent stakes of Schoneweiss, a leading company in the forging sector in Germany. The deal took place in 2007, and consolidated Mahindra's position in the global market.

Sterlite Industries, a part of the Vedanta Group signed an agreement regarding the acquisition of copper mining company Asarco for $ 2.6 billion in 2008. The deal surpassed Tata's $2.3 billion deal of acquiring Land Rover and Jaguar. After the finalization of the deal Sterlite would become third largest copper mining company in the world.

This year in Australia,
Lanco Infratech $730M,
Adani Group $1.8B,
GVK 1.12B
In Africa,
Essar $750M,
GMR energy $500M.
Essar Oil $1.2B

In USA,
Avanta Group $30M
Aditya Birla $1.5 B
In Brazil,
United Phosphorus 150M,

And the list goes on.
I am personally not benefiting by others Indians prosperity. But I am all the same proud of their achievements.

Companies Invest with profit motive, social consideration is not a business criteria.

Last edited:
prasad,

once again you are indulging in third party name calling. call me by name and curse me, and i will respect you for that.

read my post again. it is not against your views, only complementary.

i just remembered tatas' acquisition and was thinking in terms of technology gains. that is all.

my first statement was more positive than any of your initial salvo ie i said that indian companies are now respected for their mgt skills so that foreign banks are giving them money. no indian company 10 years ago could raise money from foreign banks. does that not express admiration?

i just spoke of china geely and volvo as something of an example. i did not put down india there, but spoke of how ford of usa had debased a once great brand to the common denomination of reputation on par with the big 3 of usa. what is wrong with that?

yes we have examples too, but did i put them down. why are you getting so upset, if i take another approach. should we also jive together that same tune 'india is great, no one else is greater, the world be damned'?

i will agree with you 100% on mittal (though he goes by his british passport).

did you know that the #1 manufacturer of plastic tubes, that we use in toothpaste and such, is an indian family from london england? lypsil, which we all use as lip balm living in usa, canada is made by indian expats? the east india company trade mark and products are now owned by a gujarati who moved to england?

i too can quote many indian excesses. but i think, to do justice to a thread that you started, and to keep it at an interesting level, it is good to see how others are doing, and why we tambrams have not been able to repeat the successes of other indian communities? something more than average thinking and jingoist boast - let us do better than that..that is all. and i have no intention of being a downer under any circumstances...

thank you.

Mr. K,
The problem might be that you look for Tamil success, I look for Indian success.
The significance is like Mujaheddin puts love of religion before love of country. Having never lived in Tamil Nadu, but having lived in India (outside Tamil Nadu) my focus is entire India, and not narrowly to Tamil cause alone. That is why when you talk of supporting Tamil Tigers I am not with you. When you support EVR I am not with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back