• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

If men are allowed in place of worship, allow women also: HC

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

No law prevents women from entering a place of worship and if men are allowed, then women too should be permitted, the Bombay High Court observed today while stating that any temple or person imposing such restriction can face a six month jail term under a Maharashtra law.

The observations were made by a division bench of Chief Justice D H Waghela nd Justice M S Sonak during the hearing of a public interest litigation by senior advocate Nilima Vartak and activist Vidya Bal, challenging the prohibition of entry of women in the Shani Shingnapur temple in Ahmednagar district of Maharashtra.

"There is no law that prevents entry of women in any place. If you allow men then you should allow women also. If a male can go and pray before the deity then why not women? It is the state government's duty to protect the rights of women," Chief Justice Waghela said today.

"If it is the sanctity of the deity that you are worried about then let the government make such a statement. Under the Maharashtra Hindu Place of Worship (Entry Authorisation) Act, 1956, if any temple or person prohibits any person from entering a temple then he or she faces a six-month imprisonment," the court said.

The court also said that the government should give wide publicity to the Act and issue circulars, informing the general public at large about the Act and its provisions.

The court directed government pleader Abhinandan Vagyani to take instructions and make a statement on Friday (April 1), on whether or not it will ensure that women will be allowed to enter the temple.

The petition seeks the entry of women not just into the temple, but also inside its sanctum sanctorum.

The petition says that the prohibition is arbitrary, illegal and in violation of fundamental rights of citizens.
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/537580/if-men-allowed-place-worship.html

Puri shankaracharya said that if women enter the inner sanctum of a particular temple in maharashtra, shani will affect the women.

Thats why they should not be allowed near.

Puri shankaracharya said that if women enter the inner sanctum of a particular temple in maharashtra, shani will affect the women.

Thats why they should not be allowed near.
:D So even Shani Bhagwan is :scared: of men!! :thumb:

Knowledgeable brahmins in this forum who know the gist of the vedas would say that god is omnipresent. Conversely, whatever/whoever is not omnipresent cannot be a god.

Going by the shankaracharya's statement, could it also mean that shani is not omnipresent? And hence not a god?

Knowledgeable brahmins in this forum who know the gist of the vedas would say that god is omnipresent. Conversely, whatever/whoever is not omnipresent cannot be a god............
If so, why build any temple as a place for worship?

There are rules to be followed to build a temple and install God / Goddess in the sanctum sanctorum, though the Almighty is

supposed to be omnipresent.

There are rules to be followed to build a temple and install God / Goddess in the sanctum sanctorum, though the Almighty is

Would you say that the idol in the temple is God? It is only a representation obviously. The idol has no other power. You would know about the temples and idols ransacked and destroyed by invaders.

Sri Vaishnavas may contradict this as they would say that vigraham is also one of the "approved" manifestation of Narayana.

Temples have been ingrained into our psyche as if we would become pure if we visit there. That is all hogwash. Temples are nothing but business centres.

Knowledgeable brahmins in this forum who know the gist of the vedas would say that god is omnipresent. Conversely, whatever/whoever is not omnipresent cannot be a god.

Going by the shankaracharya's statement, could it also mean that shani is not omnipresent? And hence not a god?
I agree with your sentiment in principle. I have been involved in building temple, and I visit temple (not to visit God) for myself.

Sant Kabirdas says:
Pathar Puje Hari Mile, To Main Pujun Girirai,
Sabse to Chakki Bhalim Pees Pees ke Khay

Meaning- Kabir says, If god could have been found by worshiping the idols made of stone, then Kabir would worship the greatest mountain. No stone can have god bigger than that. He reiterates that god cannot be found in the stone idols, the simple chakki (traditional Indian wheat grinder having two round stones rotated and the wheat dropped from above gets grinded between two stones) is more divine at least it bears pain to feed the humanity.
Kubudhi ko Sujhe Nahi, Uth Uth Deval Jaaye,
Dil dehra ki khabar nahi, Pathar Kahan Te Pay

Meaning- The idiots are ignorant, when they can’t think of anything they keep visiting the temple in the search of god. Hardly do they know their own self, that they would realize that if they would have searched their own hearts, they would have find one which they didn’t find in those stone idols.

Temples are not built to lock the GOD, they are built for the devotee's to focus their minds. (my opinion).

I just started a thread:
http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/showthread.php?t=31214&p=341185#post341185

Last edited:
When God is omnipresent..He is present in everything..including a stone on the river bed and also an idol in a temple.

He the omnipresent one is also present in both males and females.

So by keeping away females from temples..one has turned away God in some way too.

What a grave error.

The problem is males are obsessed with females some way or the other either via lust or illogic...their minds have become stone due to faulty view of women...all they see is stone.

Kallai Mattum Kandal Kadavul Theriyathu,
Kadavul Mattum Kandal Kalladi Theriyathu..

Last edited:
Would you say that the idol in the temple is God? It is only a representation obviously. The idol has no other power. You would know about the temples and idols ransacked and destroyed by invaders.

Sri Vaishnavas may contradict this as they would say that vigraham is also one of the "approved" manifestation of Narayana.

Temples have been ingrained into our psyche as if we would become pure if we visit there. That is all hogwash. Temples are nothing but business centres.
The idols of Gods and Goddesses make us think of them. I know that Gods and Goddesses are man made. But, unless we

believe that some power will guide us in the right path, ego will increase. Those who believe in the Almighty need not visit

the temples regularly. They can pray at home. They think 'avanindri OraNuvum asaiyAdhu'. But those who don't have belief

think they ONLY achieve everything in life!
Temple visits are to make us humble and believe that Almighty is there to help us and whatever happens is for good. :peace:

Perhaps temples are built for Brahmins / persons like me with less / no... knowledge !

The idols of Gods and Goddesses make us think of them. I know that Gods and Goddesses are man made. But, unless we

believe that some power will guide us in the right path, ego will increase. Those who believe in the Almighty need not visit

the temples regularly. They can pray at home. They think 'avanindri OraNuvum asaiyAdhu'. But those who don't have belief

think they ONLY achieve everything in life!
Temple visits are to make us humble and believe that Almighty is there to help us and whatever happens is for good. :peace:

Madam, I think the opposite is happening. Those who regularly go to temple have an aura of superiority and tend to look down upon those who do not frequent temples.

Madam, I think the opposite is happening. Those who regularly go to temple have an aura of superiority and tend to look down upon those who do not frequent temples.
Dear Sir,

I agree. Though temples and prayers should make one humble, the regular temple goers look down upon others.

Even those who know to chant slOkams think that they are the great souls on earth and others are useless!

Sad..... but true!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back