• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Idlis, Sambhar and Filtered Coffee most Nutritious Morning Meal Reveals Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roti Canai is nothing but a version of Kerala Porotta. We get this porotta frozen here in packets especially in Sri Lankan shops. Its tasty but very unhealthy. Its easy to make at home with maida and ghee/butter (I use margarine).

Another good breakfast...Chinese Red Bean Dumpling..we call it Red Bean Pau here.

It really tasty..pure vegetarian.
Steamed and filling is mashed red beans.

20070210buns8.jpg

I like the veg savoury version of this pau very much. They use steamed carrots, mushrooms and lotus stems

Oflate it is easy to make Idlis and the side dishes take longer time. Some of the side dish which we rotate for Idli:
- Coconut chutney with green chillies
- Same as above with coriander leaves
- Coconut chutney with Rad chillies
- Onion chutney
- Tomato chutney
- ONion with tomato
- Onion with tomato and urad dal
- Kostu with Brinjal
- with Brinjal and tomato
- With onion and tomato
- Traditional Sambar

If we are sick of all the above then we always have Podi with Til Oil.

LOng live Idli !!

Renuka, what is "pura"?
All this talk of food is making me very hungry! :))

Dear Padders,

When I was small my mum used to make us Pura for breakfast.

It is like pancake but without eggs in this case.

It is a made with wheat flour,sugar,milk and sugar.

Just mix all of it with some water till it becomes like a batter and heat a flat pan and pour the batter over it like how we would make dosa..then when it is ready just flip it over and heat the other side.

There is also a savory version called Besan Ka Pura.

Where Besan is used instead of wheat flour and chopped coriander,chopped tomatoes,chopped onions(optional) is used for when making the batter.

Last edited:
Thanks, Renuka! Sounds delicious, but a bit too calorific!
I've tasted the besan ones. Yummy!
My mum also used to make a quickie dosa with wheat flour, maida and rice flour as a quick dosa substitute. Nothing of course can beat the real thing!!:)

Thanks, Renuka! Sounds delicious, but a bit too calorific!
I've tasted the besan ones. Yummy!
My mum also used to make a quickie dosa with wheat flour, maida and rice flour as a quick dosa substitute. Nothing of course can beat the real thing!!:)

Dear Padders,

I have modified Pura..lower calorie version.

Replace the milk with unsweetened Soya milk.

For a sugar substitute..blend bananas and use it.

So you have a low calorie version.

Idlis,Sambar and Filtered Coffee.

I was of the impression that Coffee, which contains caffeine is a stimulant increasing alertness in the morning.
I am not an expert in the subject, but quoting from what I read about this Drink, which has taken over the South Indians fully. How ever, taste of Coffee goes very well with Idli Sambar.

Chitra B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back