• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Idlis, Sambhar and Filtered Coffee most Nutritious Morning Meal Reveals Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrishna100

Traditional Chennai Breakfast of Idlis, Sambhar and Filtered Coffee most Nutritious Morning Meal Reveals Survey of Indian Cities
Idli-sambar.jpg

'Idli, sambhar most nutritious breakfast' - The Times of India

Last edited:
Idli Sambhar fair enough for its complete protein ratio..this is what I studied back in 1990 in Medical College....but why filter coffee??

No doubt coffee has anti oxidants but why start the day with a habit forming drink and make ourselves dependent on it?

Some people become Zombie like in the morning if they do not get their morning 'coffee high"!
Only after coffee they can actually be alert..

Better to replace the coffee with low fat milk or fresh fruit juice or even better a fruit and milk combo milk shake to get a boost of protein and vitamins.

Well the article is mostly about Idli and Sambar and their composition .Coffee is just added to make the heading complete . This is the essence of above article .

She described the more popular idli and sambhar as a "complete meal".

"The rice and urad dal in idlis complement each other, making it a complete protein. The vegetables and dal in the sambhar are good supplements," she said.

There is no comparison to Idli ...Paratha, Pohwa fall in to a distant second/third....But what ever is healthy does not satiate our taste buds..So we make varieties of Dosa, Upma (made from Bansi rava/Dhalia),cauliflower paratha and an occasional poori or pohwa

But what ever is healthy does not satiate our taste buds.

Not really...if we keep taking healthy and fresh food and also raw vegetables after a while the taste buds gets sensitive to natural tasting food and enjoy the fresh taste and eventually we will avoid unhealthy food..its all in the conditioning of the taste buds.

Adai is another very healthy option. In fact I'd say its way more nutritious than Dosa and idli, because it has a few different lentil variety. Pesarattu (moong dal) is also another one.

Adai is another very healthy option. In fact I'd say its way more nutritious than Dosa and idli, because it has a few different lentil variety. Pesarattu (moong dal) is also another one.

Dear Amala,

What is Adai?? Can you please tell me..not heard of it before.

I cannot miss the Adai with Avial from Adyar Anand Bhavan when I am in Chennai

Adai seems to be a well guarded Tambrahm thing. Glad you found it Renu. Its very nice. I grew up eating adai with butter, especially when small. You can have it with any chutney and with avail too.

Dear Ms Amala

Your post # 12

Yes, you are right, I remember too - sometimes they made jaggery the spouse for Adai - very 'filling'
but made one very thirsty and drink water by the gallons.

Our TVK Sir is a great 'fan' of Adai and had done an elaborate and graphic description of it in another
thread a few months ago. A great 'fan' - not without apt reason.

I think Chilly Powder and Jaggery were the originally suggested 'brides' for Adai by the Tamils. Avial,
I guess was a beauty from Palghat tied in wedlock to this rugged, rustic, handsome Tambram.

Nowadays, this chap [Adai] seems to have become polygamous - he can be spotted with multiple
spice - Coconut Chutney/Tomato Chutney/Pudhina Chutney/Sambar/Avial/Tomato Ketchup/Cheese Spread.
Poor old Chilly Powder and Jaggery seem to have lost-out !

Ok, before somebody jumps on me - Adai being Polygamous / Polyandrous, I think we'll leave it for
the thread opener to decide - he actually started from Idlis.

Yay Yem

Another dish that I like be it for brunch or dinner is Sevai...

It used to be a laborious process earlier when my mom used to struggle with the Sevai achchu...No more trouble now...You don't have to bother about mixing rice powder, making the batter (cylindrical shaped),steaming and using the Sevai achchu for the rice noodles...

We now have ready made rice noodles from Thailand that are very smooth and thin...

You just need to boil the noodles and you can mix with lime or coconut or the black cumin & pepper mix and make varieties of Sevai...Really delicious & quick to make

Dear vgane

your post #14

Making sevai at home is fun. We have Tripod Stand that stands 2' tall - made of brass that has been in
continuous use from before the times that my Mom was a young girl - guesstimate about 100 yrs old

It resembles a 'Lunar Module' that NASA landed on the moon surface - we as kids, got a lot of thrill
assembling it and dis-assembling it and thought we were perfectly fit to follow Neil Armstrong to the
lunar surface.

Somehow, the poor Idlis are getting side-tracked in this thread.

Yay Yem

....Ok, before somebody jumps on me - Adai being Polygamous / Polyandrous,
Seems to me you have added the word "Polyandrous" almost as an afterthought -- to you it seems adai is male surrounded by female companions. This is the reason why somebody should jump on you dear Yay Yem, how dare you make adai a male and the condiments female? How much more delectable it is to think of adai as female ;)!! Think about it :)!!!!!

regards .....

Adai seems to be a well guarded Tambrahm thing. Glad you found it Renu. Its very nice. I grew up eating adai with butter, especially when small. You can have it with any chutney and with avail too.

Not really a TB guarded dish....I went home yesterday and asked my husband and he knew about it..he said his mum used to make it for them for breakfast..he said it is a very traditional dish eaten with avial.

I even asked my dad and he said he also has eaten it before when he was young.

It is just that I did not know about it cos my mum used to make Puri,Pura or Kichidi for breakfast when I was young.

Dear vgane

your post #14

Making sevai at home is fun. We have Tripod Stand that stands 2' tall - made of brass that has been in
continuous use from before the times that my Mom was a young girl - guesstimate about 100 yrs old

It resembles a 'Lunar Module' that NASA landed on the moon surface - we as kids, got a lot of thrill
assembling it and dis-assembling it and thought we were perfectly fit to follow Neil Armstrong to the
lunar surface.

Somehow, the poor Idlis are getting side-tracked in this thread.

Yay Yem

Dear Yay Yem,

There is one which is hand operated where it requires sheer physical force to make the Sevai....When the dough becomes hard then the toughness quotient increases..I have myself given my mom a helping had when there is real struggle to extricate the rice noodles from the nazhi

Making Seva is to be a laborious task...

But the fruits are yummy to taste

Dear Nara

Your post # 16

You are right - it was an afterthought .

We have always had Radha SAMETHA Krishna / Tripurasundari Ambal SAMETHA Chandramouleeswara /
Ashta Lakshmi SAMETHA Sriman Narayana - " Ammai - Appan Endruthaan Solluvargal "
Ladies always come first .

So also with usage such as Lady & Lord Sherwood or Lady & Lord Mountbatten etc etc.

Now when you have Avial, Chutney, Sambar, Chilly Powder, Jaggery, Tomato Ketchup, Cheese Spread
SAMETHA Adai , it's left to your logical deduction .

" Elementary Dr Nara "

Yay Yem

PS: It would be nice if someone could elaborate on the intricacies of Kumbakonam Indly, Coimbatore Idly
Kanceepuram Idli, Madurai Idli - each has its subtle identity and taste but what we are getting used to
is the ' standardized version ' - probably taken out of a recipe book from some School of Catering somewhere.

Dear Nara

Your post # 16

A small observation. Condiments go in to make the main dish and the accompaniments.
Condiments themselves do not constitute the accompaniments / accessories .

Surely you cannot have just a coconut or jar of turmeric powder or lump of tamarind or pinch of
asafoetida, a few spoons of salt and some green chillies with pudhina as accompaniment / accessory
- for any main dish, not just Adai.

Yay Yem

Have any one of you tasted Phulka with little bit of salt sprayed over it..One of my friends likes it so much...

Coming to Roti, in the 70's before the influence of North India came in we used to prepare Chappathi and the side dish is milk and sugar...My grand ma used to take this on day of viradham where no salt or boiled rice is allowed..We also used to get one each ...It used to be very delicious too

Another good breakfast...Chinese Red Bean Dumpling..we call it Red Bean Pau here.

It really tasty..pure vegetarian.
Steamed and filling is mashed red beans.

20070210buns8.jpg

I always felt that adai is dosai's brother!!!! I ask mrs K to add more than the proverbial pinch of perungayam. Love the smell of toasted kayam with nallaNNai.

Mrs K also makes plain rice adai with murangai leaves dumped in it. Even the kids love it. Goes great with sambhar and lime or avakkai pickups.

By the way my dad used to squeeze green chillies into a kinnam of butter milk, add some salt,and dip the adai in it. I like this too, though you are reminded of this absurdity the next morning :)

They also sell something called elandhai adai in ambika applam depot. It's got the fragrance of elandhai fruit, and can be savoured only in small pieces, as it is not only intense but spicy as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back